PDA

View Full Version : how to install vserver, and use TivoTool? (Mac OS X)

evoluzione
07-18-2005, 09:50 AM
hey guys. i've done some searches and come up blank, i need some help in installing vserver onto my tivo series 2 box so i can use tivotool with my mac, running os x (10.4.2 - tiger)

i have my tivo connected to my network with a wireless linksys usb adapter (wusb11 - should i upgrade to 802.11g?) and can connect with a browser to see what's playing, but that's all i've managed to figure out so far!

can anyone help me get set up? can i do everything with the terminal in os x? or do i need to take the hd out of my tivo box and install stuff that way??

i know my mac fairly well, but just have no clue when it comes to the cli etc.

many thanks!

Roger Dylan
07-18-2005, 01:05 PM
hey guys. i've done some searches and come up blank

There's not much to come up with, as far as your specific request. Vserver (MIPS version) has to be running on your Tivo and TivoTool is just a Mac application that runs out of the box under Tiger.

However, getting your Tivo set up so that you can install _any_ hacks like this is somewhat involved. But your search for information on doing this would not be TivoTool specific.

evoluzione
07-18-2005, 02:54 PM
There's not much to come up with, as far as your specific request. Vserver (MIPS version) has to be running on your Tivo and TivoTool is just a Mac application that runs out of the box under Tiger.

However, getting your Tivo set up so that you can install _any_ hacks like this is somewhat involved. But your search for information on doing this would not be TivoTool specific.

Roger, many thanks for that, i shall concentrate on looking for info on vserver and hacking my TiVo box. i'm just somewhat overwhelmed trying to go through a lot of this site!

thanks again. :)

ADent
07-19-2005, 04:00 AM
You have to hack the machine before you can load any software.

Then apparently it is pretty easy to install vserver.

Once you get ftp up and running on your machine come back and we can get vserver installed.

evoluzione
07-19-2005, 09:46 AM
You have to hack the machine before you can load any software.

Then apparently it is pretty easy to install vserver.

Once you get ftp up and running on your machine come back and we can get vserver installed.

great, thanks so much...i'm working on getting ftp access right now...should be possible using OS X right?

bmathys
07-20-2005, 12:13 PM
I have a hacked Hughes SD-DVR40 and have vserver installed but I have to restart it all the time via telnet for some reason. Once I restart it TivoTool sees my list of programs, but when I initiate a download, it goes through like it is pulling it off, then starts to convert it to MPEG2 format and stops. The resulting file is a 4K .mpg file. I can't seem to get it to convert. Any ideas?