PDA

View Full Version : Unable to access TiVoWebPlus on Internet

gusgriller
07-19-2005, 06:32 AM
Hi.

I've searched and searched but cannot find an answer to my problem.

I've recently installed TiVoWebPlus and it works great on my LAN. But I cannot get access to it over the Internet.
I have a D-Link 624 router and I have enabled port forwarding on port 80 to go to my TiVo (10.168.0.99). But it just fails to connect everytime. I've checked that my port forwarding is working ok on my router, by changing the forwarded IP to my wireless bridge connected to the TiVo (10.168.0.103), and I can access that fine from work.

The only file I've changed on the TiVo since doing the installation is the tivoweb.cfg (Username, Password & TyShowLinks settings).

Nothing appears in my router log files when I try to connect (don't know if it should).

Can anyone suggest anything else for me to try because I've come to a standstill now.

Thanks.

PS. Sorry I've clearly posted this in the wrong forum - can someone move it for me ?

hanzacra
07-20-2005, 12:03 AM
Are you sure your ISP allows port 80 incoming? Try port 8080 or similar.

gusgriller
07-20-2005, 04:39 AM
I am sure that my ISP is allowing port 80 because I've connected to my wireless bridge web admin utility using the same method.

Are there any logs on the TiVo that I can look at to see whether there any HTTP requests getting through ?

jjz
07-20-2005, 10:21 PM
why not try another port- you can edit the port TWP will listen to in the cfg file

derelict
07-21-2005, 01:27 AM
How are you trying to find your home network from the internet? Are you using a direct IP address, or a dynamic DNS service? I've found that if your router supports a dynamic DNS service it works excellent. That way I can always connect to the same URL every time and it will find my home router and forward to the appropriate ports. If you are using the 10.168.xxx.xxx number from the internet, it won't work because 10.xxx.xxx.xxx and 192.xxx.xxx.xxx IPs are usually used for internal LANs only.

If that's not your problem, then you can try setting a different port in the tivoweb.cfg file and forwarding to that port from your router.

gusgriller
07-21-2005, 04:38 AM
I have got dynamic DNS set up in my router. I have tried using that URL and the current external IP address of my router. I am able to connect to the router from work using the Remote Management feature on port 8080. I haven't tried using a port other than 80 in the tivoweb.cfg file. I'll try that one tonight when I get home.

hanzacra
07-26-2005, 10:36 PM
I just remembered how I fixed this problem when I had it. Add this to your config and/or just run it from a shell to test:

route add default gw 192.168.1.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

(assuming your router is at the default .1 address)

jermaine151
07-29-2005, 10:10 AM
I had the same problem. I was using ifconfig statement in rc.sysinit.author file, but not setting a gateway. I added this line below it and all is well:

route add default gw 192.168.1.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

You can try running it from telnet first, just to verify.

I hope this helps.

Thanks to Hanzacra for giving me this info.

gusgriller
07-29-2005, 10:13 AM
Thanks for everyones help.
I'm up and running thanks to the additional line in the rc.sysinit.author file.