PDA

View Full Version : Command Line Conversion of .ty files to DivX or XviD...

bluewomble
07-20-2005, 05:41 AM
What's the best way of converting .ty files into compressed DivX or XviD on the command line in windows?

I'm using a Series 1 Tivo and can extract .ty files... I guess the first step is to use vsplit to convert the .ty to an mpeg, but what next?

I'm quite new to this and haven't got much experience with the multitude of video tools out there... Any help, advice or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ash.

stealthdave
07-20-2005, 02:49 PM
What's the best way of converting .ty files into compressed DivX or XviD on the command line in windows?

I'm using a Series 1 Tivo and can extract .ty files... I guess the first step is to use vsplit to convert the .ty to an mpeg, but what next?

I'm quite new to this and haven't got much experience with the multitude of video tools out there... Any help, advice or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ash.
I would suggest Mencoder, part of the MPlayer (http://mplayerhq.hu) project, as an easy, single line option for transcoding ty files to XviD. MPlayer can read the ty format natively, so you don't need to convert to MPEG first. The MEncoder documentation has detailed instructions on the commandline needed to transcode to XviD. Binaries are available for Windows on the MPlayer web site.

*Note - I've noticed a problem with ty playback on version 1.0pre7, the latest stable release. However, the nightly builds have since fixed this, so you may want to try either 1.0pre6 (the previous stable release) or a nightly build.

bluewomble
07-21-2005, 05:40 AM
I would suggest Mencoder, part of the MPlayer (http://mplayerhq.hu) project, as an easy, single line option for transcoding ty files to XviD. MPlayer can read the ty format natively, so you don't need to convert to MPEG first. The MEncoder documentation has detailed instructions on the commandline needed to transcode to XviD. Binaries are available for Windows on the MPlayer web site.

*Note - I've noticed a problem with ty playback on version 1.0pre7, the latest stable release. However, the nightly builds have since fixed this, so you may want to try either 1.0pre6 (the previous stable release) or a nightly build.

Excellent, thanks very much for your help... I'll try mencoder out..

Cheers,
Ash.

bluewomble
07-22-2005, 05:52 AM
I managed to get mencoder and transcode from a .ty file to an xvid encoded .avi file... I think my command line was something like:

mencoder file.ty -oac mp3lame -ovc xvid -o xvidfile.avi

There seem to be an awful lot of options for memcoder! What options do other people use for transcoding? I basically want to perform 2 separate jobs with memcoder --

1) transcode for viewing on my Palm Pilot (with MMPlayer), so picture scaled down (maybe by 50%) and lower bitrate/quality so I can get small file sizes.

2) Transcode for archival purposes... here I don't want to scale down, but might want a small decrease in the bitrate/quality

What options do you reccomend I use for this? Once I'm happy with the encoder settings, I intend to write an xvid encoding addin for eTiVo...

Any advice appreciated...
Thanks very much,
Ash.