PDA

View Full Version : Can I use MRV to remove encryption then use tserver?

gsr
07-27-2005, 02:26 PM
I hope this doesn't qualify as too noobie of a question, but after a lot of reading my head is spinning so I'm hoping someone will humor me and tell me if my thought process is correct or not :).

I have 3 Hughes HDVR2's, 2 of which have stuff I'd like to extract shows (or parts of shows) from. Two of them are currently running 6.2, the third refuses to upgrade after rebooting numerous times (which is a separate issue for now). I've hacked the one that has the bulk of what I'd like to extract, have encryption for new recordings off, HMO / MRV working, tserver running, telnet running, ftp running, TivoWebPlus running, etc. (I used a combination of the superpatch, bootpage utility, tivotools.tar, and other various tidbits including a few guides to get to this point and am slowly understanding what's going on - I'm a Windows developer, not Linux...). Tserver and tytools talk to each other nicely, so I can pull files off the Tivo, but anything recorded before hacking comes out encrypted (which I expected). I've seen posts that mention installing additional hacks to decrypt in place, but I can't figure out from all the various posts how to do this on a 6.2 box and am not comfortable enough yet to experiment, so I had another thought:

If I hack the 2nd 6.2 box the same way as I did the first one, I'll have HMO / MRV running on both boxes and encryption turned off. If I transfer a show from Tivo1 to Tivo2, will the show be unencrypted on Tivo2 after the transfer? If so, I can transfer the shows to the opposite Tivo and then use tserver/tytools to extract them. This will require transfering the shows twice, but doesn't require additional hacking of the Tivos.

TivoWare
07-27-2005, 02:40 PM
When you MRV the show it will still be encrypted. I ran into the same thing. You will have to use the unscramble from here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39207). You have to monte into the custom kernel and then used the modified mfs tools. I think the modified tserver will work fine with tytools. I used mfs_ftp to do mine.

Jamie
07-27-2005, 02:41 PM
If I hack the 2nd 6.2 box the same way as I did the first one, I'll have HMO / MRV running on both boxes and encryption turned off. If I transfer a show from Tivo1 to Tivo2, will the show be unencrypted on Tivo2 after the transfer? If so, I can transfer the shows to the opposite Tivo and then use tserver/tytools to extract them. This will require transfering the shows twice, but doesn't require additional hacking of the Tivos.
Nice idea, but it doesn't work. If you transfer a scrambled show, it's still scrambled on the receiving side, even if the boxes have nocso and the superpatch.

gsr
07-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Drat, I was hoping it would do the "right" thing when MRVing files around :D. Hopefully I can figure out exactly what I need to do to get the unscramble trick working - it looks much more involved than any of the other stuff I've done so far.

woodee
08-04-2005, 03:06 PM
im in same boat
has anyone ever attempted to decrypt on windows after show is ftp'd over
or for that matter batch save to vcr command(saw a link listed in wish list but was dead)

thanks

woody
rca 80hr dtvtivo 6.2