PDA

View Full Version : Another way of streaming TiVo video over the net

sanderton
07-31-2005, 06:07 AM
I've found that The Orb (www.orb.com) works fine with ty files, so long as TyShow is installed and .ty is added to the list of filetypes it supports.

So all you have to do is copy the video to a folder on your PC.

As with all TyShow dependent stuff, ff/rw is unreliable.

tivomatic
08-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Could it also be used as a simple secure way to access TWP across the internet?

94SupraTT
08-01-2005, 09:46 PM
I've found that The Orb (www.orb.com) works fine with ty files, so long as TyShow is installed and .ty is added to the list of filetypes it supports.

So all you have to do is copy the video to a folder on your PC.

As with all TyShow dependent stuff, ff/rw is unreliable.

Sounds interesting. Have you tried it?

TheAvatar
08-01-2005, 10:44 PM
I have been trying to get ORB to play with my tivo for a while without joy.
I would like to beable to stream content directly from the Tivo HD using MSFTP or VStreamer to ORB and then have ORB stream it over the next.

I used WEBDRIVE to set up a virtual drive (T:) on my Windows XP machine which pointed to the ty files on my tivos via MSFTP. When I activated ORB, it was able to see the ty files, but instantly tried to copy the files one by one over to my PC. Since Tivoweb can steam video from tivo using MSFTP, obviously there must be some way to left ORB do the same, ove maybe a frontend for VSTREAMER on the pC which would allow ORB to steam the files...
Any ideas?

sanderton
08-05-2005, 11:25 AM
I have it working, but you have to copy the .ty files to the PC first.

I guess you could use an FTP-based file synchroniser to do that automatically.

ckwrights3
03-29-2006, 11:58 PM
I have tyshow installed and I have no problem playing .ty files on my PC via WMP, but everytime I try to play it via orb, I get an error message that orb cannot stream the file. How did you get it to work?

dribble68
05-31-2006, 04:29 PM
Well, I know it's an old thread, but I am having exactly the same problem with getting orb to play .ty files.

Did anyone ever find out how to get this to work? Tyshow is installed, but media player still complains that it can't play the file.

Thanks

David.

sanderton
06-02-2006, 12:42 PM
TyShow has to be installed on the Orb server machine, not the client?