PDA

View Full Version : Linux Line Mode Extraction Tools/Scripts

haroldpga
08-05-2005, 08:40 PM
I am looking to automate operations with my Sony SA TiVo. I want to do this with various programs and scripts running under linux. No clicking, no gui's, just scripts running programs scheduled out of the lilnux cron facility to:

list programs stored in the TiVo
Select programs to extract
Extract selected programs from TiVo to local hard disk
If desired, delete downloaded programs from TiVo
convert file formats from TiVo internal to mpeg

There are thousands of posts here. Many threads run to over 50 pages and it's impossible to read all of them. I have spent the last two days googling and searching this site for ideas. I haven't had a lot of luck. I would like for this thread to be a place to collect all of these tools in one place, along with discussion as to how they should be used.

My TiVo looks like this:
Sony SA TiVo Model SVR 2000
Software level: 3.0.1.A1-01-1-010
Kernel: Version 2.1.24-TiVo-2.5

My TiVo has a turbonet adapter installed and is running the following software:

tnlited.sh
tivoftpd
tivoweb
mfs_ftp

The TiVo is on a local network behind a firewall and can't be seen from the internet at all.

dlang
08-05-2005, 09:20 PM
mfs_ftp works well for listing/retreiving/deleting files (however there are bugs with wildcards in the current version, I use a modified 1.2.5 version for most of my stuff, but it doesn't do inserts well) assuming that you can script FTP access

vsplit is part of tytools and will convert the files to mpeg, but without being able to cut commercials. the version currently up is a little old, but word is the 10.0 release will include an updated version (and possibly a full linux gui, no more need to run it under wine!!)

this should get you started

johnsolo
08-05-2005, 11:25 PM
you should try the linux version of tivotool. sounds like it does some of what you want

haroldpga
08-06-2005, 09:59 AM
vsplit is part of tytools and will convert the files to mpeg, but without being able to cut commercials. the version currently up is a little old, but word is the 10.0 release will include an updated version (and possibly a full linux gui, no more need to run it under wine!!)

Thanks for the tips. I'm not looking for any gui tools. I have all I need now running under windows. I want to fully automate the process, so it can run while I'm not available to make sure all of my desired programs are safely stored on the 200Gb of space on my linux hard drive.

Editing will be done later, under windows using VideoReDo ( http://www.videoredo.com/), A very impressive video editor I found. Ditto for burning the DVDs. I'm happy with Nero (http://ww2.nero.com/enu/index.html) to take care of this task.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll be looking into TyTools for lilnux.

Harold

haroldpga
08-06-2005, 10:08 AM
you should try the linux version of tivotool. sounds like it does some of what you want
Does it do line mode? I visited the TivoTool web site and all I could find was discussion of the Mac OsX gui version.

What I am looking for are line mode tools which can be used in bash scripts to automate TiVo operations.

Thanks for the suggesitons

Harold

Jamie
08-06-2005, 11:47 AM
I am looking to automate operations with my Sony SA TiVo. I want to do this with various programs and scripts running under linux. No clicking, no gui's, just scripts running programs scheduled out of the lilnux cron facility to:

list programs stored in the TiVo
Select programs to extract
Extract selected programs from TiVo to local hard disk
If desired, delete downloaded programs from TiVo
convert file formats from TiVo internal to mpeg

...As previously mentioned, the linux tivotool does most of what you want (not sure about deleting shows). Go to the download page and get tivotool-0.2.1.tar.gz.

If that's unsuitable for some reason, line mode commands to do 1-3 are in the mfs-utils package (aka unified mfs_* tools):

Run vserver on your tivo, and set the MFS_DEVLIST envvar to point to your tivo ip (e.g. export MFS_DEVLIST=:your-tivo-ip-or-dns-name"). From there, you can use the commands here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=201494#post201494) as though you were working with a locally attached tivo disk. e.g. mfs_streams to list the streams; mfs_uberexport to extract them.

As for deleting shows, there are simple tcl scripts around to do that (it's in some versions of NowShowing.tcl). You could easily wrap up a linux side shell script that did a telnet to the tivo to run the delete script, given a recording FSID to delete.

dlang
08-06-2005, 05:53 PM
here is the mfs_ftp.tcl that I use, it requires additional mfs* utility programs (available here under the thread about unified tools). The version attached has been modified by me to support the NLST command (wildcards in ls and mget/mdel with wildcards)

this version was released under the GPL so you can read it and use it as you want, later versions had a license change and can't be reused.