PDA

View Full Version : OS X Frame accurate editing

mohrpj01
08-17-2005, 11:12 AM
I have a quick question for you OS X users.

I am currently using tivotool to export mpeg2 files from my directivo. I would like to edit the mpeg2 stream natively without converting to a different format and loosing time or quality.

Tried Mpeg Streamclip..great program, but not frame accurate..i.e. my edits are often off by 2-3 seconds from where I wanted them.

Tried Final Cut Pro 4, but I have to demux prior (I think) which is a pain.

Any suggestions for a "Frame-accurate" mpeg2 editor in OS X??? Anybody familiar with using Final Cut Pro 5? I've heard there is no demuxing required.

artships
08-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Tried Final Cut Pro 4, but I have to demux prior (I think) which is a pain.

Surely vsplit13 (or is it 9?) is not that hard to run, nor egregiously time consuming.

stealthdave
08-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Surely vsplit13 (or is it 9?) is not that hard to run, nor egregiously time consuming.
I didn't think that vsplit13 included frame-accurate support, only GOP accurate cuts. Also, I don't know about you, but I find video editing from the command-line a bit difficult. :)

I've not been able to find any Mac OS X tool that will do frame-accurate cuts to MPEG2 without reencoding the entire stream. I also have FCP HD (4.5), and I need to convert to DV before I can edit MPEG2, even with the MPEG2 plug-in for Quicktime. (The plugin doesn't do audio, I'm quite pissed about that. :mad: ) I use MPEG Streamclip for that, which can also do GOP edits.

There's a command-line tool for Linux that reportedly does fae, but it only works on PAL video (25fps) and, as I said, it's command-line. The author generates a cut-list using LVE, but I have yet to get LVE to completely compile on Mac OS X.

artships
08-18-2005, 05:33 PM
I didn't think that vsplit13 included frame-accurate support, only GOP accurate cuts.

Sorry, I thought vsplit would, well, split the file without cuts so you could feed them to Final Cut Pro for editing. I guess you're also saying FCP will transcode everything after cutting, and that, I agree, would be quite time-consuming.

mohrpj01
08-18-2005, 07:20 PM
I wasn't aware that the mpeg2 codec didn't do audio. That's really frustrating. That must be why I never see audio tracks in FCP when I import mpeg-2 videos.

ADent
08-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Let's find out what it will take JDiner to get the Mac OS X version of TyTool out and take up a collection.

Someone was using an older version of the DVD editing SW (Studio Pro 2 - eBay for under $100) and tricking the headers before and after to edit cleanly w/o re-encoding.

aersloat
08-18-2005, 10:50 PM
I think that Capty MPEG Edit by Pixela will do frame accurate cuts. I have it (version 1.1.0.5) but it is in japanese and I haven't been able to get it to take my series 1 streams. It doesn't like the non-compliant audio. I haven't bothered with resampling the audio for the application. I believe that you can get it from LaCie. I managed to buy it as an upgrade from pixela's japanese site with a bunch of help from Google's translation tools. I had to buy an ADS Instant USB box as well. Anyway, there is at least one thread on this issue at videohelp.com: http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

mohrpj01
08-20-2005, 11:28 PM
Aersolat-

Thanks for the tip. Capty MPEG-Edit appears to be the only frame accurate editing option for OS X. I was able to aquire Capty DVD 1.14 with an English translation (done by someone of the videohelp forum), I even managed to acquire the correct serial numbers (for demo purposes), however it still says I'm missing components to run the software. Oh well...this looks like what I'm searching for, but I'm having a horrible time getting it to work.

Thanks for the pointing me in the right direction though.

NoCalME
08-21-2005, 08:35 AM
CaptyDVD does not work with DirecTiVo files unless something has changed since version 1.0. I don't have a SA TiVo so I'm not sure if it will handle those files.

DonovansBrain
08-23-2005, 10:20 AM
I've not tried it as I only discovered it a couple of days ago, but SimpleMovieX claims to be able to do mpeg2 editing (if you have Apple's component) and frame accurate editing.

http://homepage.mac.com/getclockworks/SimpleMovieX/info.html

Roger Dylan
08-23-2005, 12:02 PM
SimpleMovieX claims to be able to do mpeg2 editingIt does.

and frame accurate editing.It doesn't.

mohrpj01
08-26-2005, 04:25 PM
So I've pretty much spent 2 weeks trying to find a mac os solution, to no avail. Looks like you can do frame accurate editing on a pc, but not a mac. Video-redo looks promising for the PC

mohrpj01
09-09-2005, 03:17 PM
I've been reading a bit that it may be possible to do mpeg-2 editing with old (<6.5) versions of quicktime pro. Since I can still boot os 9 on my mac, I might give this a try. Anyone tried this yet?