PDA

View Full Version : UPNP Tivo Bridge(Looking for beta testers)

gottahavit
08-27-2005, 05:46 PM
I am writing a new UPNP server primarily(at least at the moment) geared towards streaming video from a Tivo to a UPNP device. This server is only for windows at the moment.

I am looking for for one or two people interested in beta testing this and helping me work through issues. Anyone interested should have a tivoestablished on their network with at a minumum vserver running and some knowledge of tivo extraction. Preferrably beta tester would also have tivoweb and mfs_ftp running. I have a Linktheater so someone with a linkplayer or other device would be great. Please PM me if interested.

Current status:
support for multipple Tivos running vserver(merges into one set of folders).
Creates folders based on Series Title
Supports Web Front end and standard UPNP metadata browse
Webfront end supports limited sorting
Webfront end also will create a playlist of the entire folder starting with the selected entry for continuous play.
Limited Skin ability
NO FFWD or REW at the moment.
UI is still very rough and performance is not great but acceptible for SD streaming.
Will also stream .TY files directly from PC server.
Also capable of streaming mpeg and mp3 files(though this is not the intended purpose for this).
Not yet capable of stremaing HD tivo files(though and HD tivo is fine)
untested on standalone tivos.
live streaming is not yet support though coming very soon.
Server UI is very rough and some xml file editing is required for tivo registration.
audio sync is not perfect on all files, but I will be cleaning that up.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is not TRANSCODING, this is a on the fly converison of the .TY to mpeg with NO loss of quality. This does not require tyshow or any other PC side software, just this server.

I am also curious if this is something a lot of people are interested in doing or not?

EldonGatlin
08-29-2005, 08:46 PM
gottahavit,

Sorry this did not catch my eye before. I have both a SA S1 Tivo and a DTV S2 Tivo on my network. Along with a Windows 2000 server box (and assorted linux, macs and solaris boxes). I was just today trying to do what you were talking about.

Don't know what is going on but let me know either way.

Thanks!

gottahavit
08-30-2005, 08:53 AM
gottahavit,

Sorry this did not catch my eye before. I have both a SA S1 Tivo and a DTV S2 Tivo on my network. Along with a Windows 2000 server box (and assorted linux, macs and solaris boxes). I was just today trying to do what you were talking about.

Don't know what is going on but let me know either way.

Thanks!

what UPNP device do yo have and what are you using to try to get this working? As far as know other than the one I am writing the only other option is IODATA advanced server which does transcoding and has many issues.

ThePhantom
08-31-2005, 08:53 AM
OOHH! I have a Gateway Connected DVD. Having my Tivos as a UPnP server would be the bomb!

I'd love to test this, and provide any additional development efforts that are required to get something like that up and running...

gottahavit
08-31-2005, 07:14 PM
OOHH! I have a Gateway Connected DVD. Having my Tivos as a UPnP server would be the bomb!

I'd love to test this, and provide any additional development efforts that are required to get something like that up and running...

PM me with your email, I am working on an update to improve performance and will send you when its ready

whackit
09-09-2005, 10:30 AM
i have a Linpkplayer and a hr10 250 and a sat t60. This sounds like exactly what i am looking for. let me know if i can help.

gottahavit
09-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Thanks,

Several people have now volunteered, and I do have someone now helping me work out some of the stability issues. I will be sending a build out to a couple other people thiss weekend to expand the testing a little, but at this point I think I have enough volunteers. I am however still interested in seeing how many people are interested in this, so that I can decide how far I am going to take this.

gottahavit
09-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Just an update, FFWD and rewind are now supported assuming network is good enough.

BLKMGK
09-15-2005, 02:51 PM
I have a Linktheater, Linkstation (hacked), and a DTIVO S2 running 4.x software (also hacked but i'm a newb). I'm not clear how this might beneft my configuration since my LinkTheater and TIVO are in the same A/V setup but I might be able to assist if needed. I am certainly interested in finding more UPNP streaming "things" for my LinkTheater (lol).

gottahavit
09-16-2005, 04:58 PM
I have a Linktheater, Linkstation (hacked), and a DTIVO S2 running 4.x software (also hacked but i'm a newb). I'm not clear how this might beneft my configuration since my LinkTheater and TIVO are in the same A/V setup but I might be able to assist if needed. I am certainly interested in finding more UPNP streaming "things" for my LinkTheater (lol).

It probably won't.. What it's designed to do is to allow playback of tivo files from tivos on your network. In my case I have3 tivos and wanted to have access to all 3 from one location. It will also playback TY files without the need of transcoding.

BLKMGK
09-16-2005, 11:54 PM
It probably won't.. What it's designed to do is to allow playback of tivo files from tivos on your network. In my case I have3 tivos and wanted to have access to all 3 from one location. It will also playback TY files without the need of transcoding.

Fair enough, IMO that's a worthwhile project for sure! Have you looked into the stuff going on with the LinkTheater? Sounded like it too might get hacked for additional functionality - it's pretty much just a browser. Linkstation is also pretty nice for storage and easy to improve upon ;)

If I can be of some help let me know. It might not make sense in my setup and I'm not swift of foot with Linux but I may have a setup that could test at least. I'm on 4.x now, moving to 6.2 when I've had time to backup and am feeling bold :rolleyes:

gottahavit
09-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Fair enough, IMO that's a worthwhile project for sure! Have you looked into the stuff going on with the LinkTheater? Sounded like it too might get hacked for additional functionality - it's pretty much just a browser. Linkstation is also pretty nice for storage and easy to improve upon ;)

If I can be of some help let me know. It might not make sense in my setup and I'm not swift of foot with Linux but I may have a setup that could test at least. I'm on 4.x now, moving to 6.2 when I've had time to backup and am feeling bold :rolleyes:

Yes this I have one of each and those 2 are it's primary expected audiaance.

deckhardt
10-10-2005, 11:00 PM
Any Progress on the UPnP Tivo Bridge?

tictocdoc
10-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Hello:

I have 2 series II DTivo's networked together. I also have a Philips Streamium 300i UPNP media server. I would be interested in beta testing on my setup if you want.

billabongbliss
11-05-2005, 12:45 PM
I am writing a new UPNP server primarily(at least at the moment) geared towards streaming video from a Tivo to a UPNP device. This server is only for windows at the moment.

I am looking for for one or two people interested in beta testing this and helping me work through issues. Anyone interested should have a tivoestablished on their network with at a minumum vserver running and some knowledge of tivo extraction. Preferrably beta tester would also have tivoweb and mfs_ftp running. I have a Linktheater so someone with a linkplayer or other device would be great. Please PM me if interested.

Current status:
Webfront end also will create a playlist of the entire folder starting with the selected entry for continuous play.
Limited Skin ability
UI is still very rough and performance is not great but acceptible for SD streaming.
Also capable of streaming mpeg and mp3 files(though this is not the intended purpose for this).
Server UI is very rough and some xml file editing is required for tivo registration.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is not TRANSCODING, this is a on the fly converison of the .TY to mpeg with NO loss of quality. This does not require tyshow or any other PC side software, just this server.

I am also curious if this is something a lot of people are interested in doing or not?
Hi do you know if the beta testers might allow me to fix a problem i have playin a new codec format? I would be interested then .........

chachi
11-26-2005, 07:56 AM
got three networked tivos here and a couple of upnp settop boxes ... would be interested in giving this a go ...

djbradster
11-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Will this work with a DSM-320? I've got 4 hacked DTivo S2's and a DSM320 in my mix....would love to use the D-link as a "terminal" to the other TIvos. If it would work...where do I sign up?

Brad

EldonGatlin
12-07-2005, 10:13 PM
gottahavit,

Started a new job and they are keeping my nose to the grindstone (a 7200 RPM HD is closer to the truth.

Let me know what I can do to help.

Thanks Again,

Eldon

DeadSock
12-09-2005, 04:31 PM

Current status:
Limited Skin ability

Hi,

I very interested in how you're progressing on this ...

I got sidetracked, but had started to write a upnp server for linux (the framework I developed is here http://sourceforge.net/projects/libupnpcpp). My end goal was to integrate various sources for "media" (an mp3 repository on th linux server, various tivo's, perhpas others ...). Unfortunately, my progress going forward was hampered by life (work, family, etc), but I hope to get back to it soon.

I'd be very interested in integrating your work (either via code, or as a "source server" for a meta-server). I'm kinda a linux bigot, so I prefer "services" running on linuxen (where I can build a nice redundant, always up server ...).

I'm not quite ready to actively beta or help develop a UPnP service yet, but hope to be "real soon now" ...

CaminoFrancisco
12-13-2005, 03:55 PM
I am very interristed! I have a couple of Roku MediaBridges I wouldn't mind streaming to. Let me know if/how I can help!

djbradster
12-27-2005, 10:04 AM
Are there any updates on this project? Very excited about it.

Brad

djbradster
01-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Do you have a version of this software available for the public? I'd love to try it out!
Brad

deckhardt
01-17-2006, 01:30 AM
Count me in as interested in this project.

gaw
02-08-2006, 03:52 PM
I have a Buffalo Link theater and Dtivo with PTVUPGRADE installation. I have tried accessing the unit through the Link Theater Web portal, but it says it cannot display the login page (which is what pops up when you go to an IP address). If it would open up as a UPNP device - so much the better.

Would like to try the beta version if possible.

SpoonsJTD
12-22-2006, 01:42 PM
Gotta, you still working on this? Any updates?

wired57
07-06-2009, 07:13 PM
any status updates?