PDA

View Full Version : TiVo Anywhere: mobile phones, PDAs, Win Mac Linux PCs

mumbles
08-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Hola. I'm pleased to announce the launch of a nifty bit of freeware that lets folks do three never-before-possible things (queue circus music please):

* Stream programs from your TiVo box itself to mobile phones, PDAs, and any Windows, Mac, or Linux PC

* Schedule programs from any Web-connected device

* Sync programs to your TiVo Desktop even while on the road

This latter feature was actually suggested to us by Rob Enderle at IDF last week - thanks, Rob!

Check it out in all its TiVoey goodness at www.tivoanywhere.com.

You'll need to've set up TiVoToGo for TiVo Anywhere to work.

Ennnnnjoy.

NutKase
08-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Too late.

Where's the source?

Are we your marketing target?

Does it work with hacked and unscrambled tivos? If not who needs it?

NutKase

Smee
08-30-2005, 12:00 AM
Hola. I'm pleased to announce the launch of a nifty bit of freeware that lets folks do three never-before-possible things (queue circus music please):

* Stream programs from your TiVo box itself to mobile phones, PDAs, and any Windows, Mac, or Linux PC

* Schedule programs from any Web-connected device

* Sync programs to your TiVo Desktop even while on the road

Doesn't seem too new to me. I can just about do all that and I don't need TiVoToGo. Let's see, I can stream, download shows to PC and Palm, burn to DVD, Schedule shows through my Blackberry and a bunch of other stuff too. Not impressed.

Smee

mumbles
08-30-2005, 12:12 AM
ah. so you HAVE seen the flying tivo-trapeze trick before, huh?

ok, you got me. it's actually only the first and the third tricks that, far as i know, couldn't be done before.

unless you're actually streaming from a tivo box directly to a phone or a PDA...?

mumbles
08-30-2005, 01:14 AM
not to be snarky, but i'd be really surprised if there were another solution for streaming tivo content to any mobile device that supports streaming video (and, i guess, doesn't have carrier lockout on the IP addresses of incoming streams)

mainly because the primary magic of the orb platform is its bitrate-and-device-sensitive on-the-fly transcoding

to make sure you get a file you can stream to whatever the default media player is on your accessing device and at whatever the max bitrate you can handle given your connection right then

tivo content, home videos, tunes ripped from your CDs - all available to you wherever you can stream

AlphaWolf
08-30-2005, 03:07 AM
not to be snarky, but i'd be really surprised if there were another solution for streaming tivo content to any mobile device that supports streaming video (and, i guess, doesn't have carrier lockout on the IP addresses of incoming streams)

You can, the method to do so has been around for a few years as well. Plus it is DRM free to boot, and you can encode to pretty much anything you want. Actually there is probably more than one way to do it, but AFAIK the most common method involves the use of etivo and another sub modification that makes it work for cell phones and other handheld devices.

Plus it all works for directivos which have better image/sound quality which translates to an even better conversion (whether shrunken or not.) In theory you could also remotely stream HDTV content from hdtv directivos as well (not sure if it has been done yet, but the framework for doing so is already in place and anybody could easily impliment it, in deep contrast to tivotogo.)

Believe me, every feature you mention has already been done here. In fact much of it was done long before the S2 tivos even came around and we actually had to physically modify our tivos to have any net connection at all.

Something I don't get though, how are you guys making money off of your orb software? Your company doesn't seem to strike me as being non-profit. (Not that this is a bad thing, we aren't stupid pinko communists here afterall.)

mumbles
08-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Believe me, every feature you mention has already been done here. In fact much of it was done long before the S2 tivos even came around and we actually had to physically modify our tivos to have any net connection at all.

which i really need to go back and do on my old S1 one of these days...

i know that one could transcode IN ADVANCE to whatever format you'd want to stream (or to sync to wherever) - it's the on-the-fly part of it, based on accessing device (and its default player and its current downstream b/w), that i haven't seen anything doing; have you?

which isn't, like, universe-shaking like changing the resonance frequency of quarks or anything, but it does mean that i don't have to do anything in advance to enjoy my shows wherever, i can jump from iBook to Nokia to iPaq to whatever without doing anything but logging in, you know?

Something I don't get though, how are you guys making money off of your orb software? Your company doesn't seem to strike me as being non-profit. (Not that this is a bad thing, we aren't stupid pinko communists here afterall.)

you mean the, ah, INTENTIONALLY nonprofit variety? <eg>. no, we're not.

well, for one thing, we do have these very natty bowling shirts that we sell at trade shows. you'd be surprised how well they go over.

but other than those, it's pretty banal: until the market footprint goes all sasquatch (at which point we'll figure out a decent way to run targeted ads, maybe pulling an Opera and enabling pay-for-opt-out, who knows), it's really about just driving use and promoting premium content & services (none of which are live right now, but there'll be some noise in early October - think music subscription services you can access from anywhere, photo, webcam alerts, etc.)

AlphaWolf
08-30-2005, 03:30 PM
which i really need to go back and do on my old S1 one of these days...

i know that one could transcode IN ADVANCE to whatever format you'd want to stream (or to sync to wherever) - it's the on-the-fly part of it, based on accessing device (and its default player and its current downstream b/w), that i haven't seen anything doing; have you?

which isn't, like, universe-shaking like changing the resonance frequency of quarks or anything, but it does mean that i don't have to do anything in advance to enjoy my shows wherever, i can jump from iBook to Nokia to iPaq to whatever without doing anything but logging in, you know?

Streaming I am not certain of, but in all honesty I am not sure that is the best way to go either though. As it stands, tivos are pretty unreliable devices - at least when it comes to networking anyways. Sure you could stream/encode realtime, but it has the potential of being messy. I think this is probably why tivo elected to do stream transfers rather than live streaming for MRV. Their underlying architecture is just kinda klunky, so rather than fix it they just cut corners.