PDA

View Full Version : Bitrates and file sizes?

Jeff D
09-04-2005, 03:54 PM
My searching came up empty, so let's see if others have noticed...

I've been recording the Tick off of Toon Disney and other networks, the show is 30 minutes, yet my files are ~1GB in size. The resolution still appers to be 480x480 so did the encoding bitrates change? 2GB/hr is not normal. My guess is that maybe directv has pumped up the bitrate on animations? That would be great! But, this has to be a new change in the last month or so, the sizes before that were at the standard ~1GB/hr.

Anyone know more about this?

Jeff D
09-07-2005, 03:30 AM
Bump, anyone know if directv bumped up the standard bitrate on some channels? If so, which ones?

I'm looking at half the extracts running at about .5GB/30m show and the newer ones around 1GB/30m show. It really appers to be, at least for toon disney that they've bumped the bitrate. All other recordings still ring in at about 1GB/hr.

Cheezmo
09-07-2005, 09:16 AM
I don't regularly track SD channel bitrates, but you are correct that recent Tick airings have been getting 4Mb/s which is very generous for DirecTV.

You can see the transponder allocations here http://www.widemovies.com/dtvtransponders.html. As you can see, Toon Disney is currently sharing with lots of part-time sports channels, so when not many of them are active the potential for a good bitrate is there.