PDA

View Full Version : Tivo Software

BlackFlux
09-06-2005, 11:20 AM
I have done a little research and I see all these hacks and such for the Tivo. Why hasn't anyone hacked the Tivo software yet? What am I missing?

I would love to get a tivo but I don't like think you should pay for something that should be free in the first place (Tivo Service). Oh and by the way I do have a PVR (SageTV and GBPVR).

tivomaster
09-06-2005, 11:45 AM
I have done a little research and I see all these hacks and such for the Tivo. Why hasn't anyone hacked the Tivo software yet? What am I missing?

I would love to get a tivo but I don't like think you should pay for something that should be free in the first place (Tivo Service). Oh and by the way I do have a PVR (SageTV and GBPVR).

? Why do you "think it should be free" ?
Dosen't Tivo, who provides a service, have the right to be profitable?
I think gas should be free however I have resigned myself to the realization that gas companies have to make a profit or there will be no gas just like if Tivo doesn't make a profit there will be no Tivo....

Oh BTW.. This is totally the wrong place to come talking about STEALING services such as Tivo....

BlackFlux
09-06-2005, 12:15 PM
? Why do you "think it should be free" ?
Dosen't Tivo, who provides a service, have the right to be profitable?
I think gas should be free however I have resigned myself to the realization that gas companies have to make a profit or there will be no gas just like if Tivo doesn't make a profit there will be no Tivo....
Who doesnít want free gas?!?!

Are you seriously trying to compare gas to a Tivo? You do know that was a dim-witted comparison, right? But I'll respond none-the-less. To me owning a Tivo is like buying a VCR and then having to pay to use it. There is tons of free software out already for the PC that offer the same services as Tivo and more for free. All I was saying was why hasn't someone figured out how to replace the Tivo software.

And like I said before, I do own a PVR but I also think that having a device like the Tivo is a little more practical because not everybody is computer literate.

Oh BTW.. This is totally the wrong place to come talking about STEALING services such as Tivo....
Who said anything about stealing Tivo service?!?! I don't even own a Tivo and I know that isn't possible. Heck, I don't even think you can even activate a Tivo with out signing up for their service.

dewalt
09-06-2005, 01:50 PM
And like I said before, I do own a PVR but I also think that having a device like the Tivo is a little more practical because not everybody is computer literate.

Which is why we buy it. You do have your options for something free. Hell - you're using them. But someone has to make the box, and make the software. I mean, if you think you should get something for free, then dont buy it. Just because you think you should get it for free doesnt mean that you can take away from a company.

It seems that either you want someone to hack the OS enough that you dont have to pay, or to put on their own OS that does the same thing. However, you do know that if the latter occured, Tivo would go out of business and then there would be no boxes to hack anymore.

BlackFlux
09-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Just because you think you should get it for free doesnt mean that you can take away from a company.
Talking about contradicting yourself. Aren't you hacking your Tivo?!?!

It seems that either you want someone to hack the OS enough that you dont have to pay, or to put on their own OS that does the same thing. However, you do know that if the latter occured, Tivo would go out of business and then there would be no boxes to hack anymore.
Wow, So your telling me it's cool to hack the Tivo as long as the hack doesn't put Tivo out of business? Talk about a pot calling a tea kettle black!

It gets better and better with every post. lmao...

mbellot
09-06-2005, 02:40 PM
All I was saying was why hasn't someone figured out how to replace the Tivo software.

"They" have. A simple google search would show you that both the Aussies and Canuks have figured out a way to replace the TiVo software.

The reason you won't find it discussed here is because the TiVo hacking community does not want TiVo Inc. to go out of business (AFAIK Tivo has yet to post a quarterly profit). I'm certain that within one week of TiVo Inc. officially shutting down their servers someone would be out with replacement software - there are simply too many intelligent people here that would not be willing to let their Tivos "die".

The simple (two pronged) answer to your question is this:

A. If you don't want to pay anything for the ability to use a TiVo (without guide data, just like a normal VCR) then pick up a Philips Series 1 standalone unit.

B. If you want guide data, pick up a device that has Tivo-light service included in the purchase price (3 days guide IIRC) or simply pay Tivo for their service.

I went with option A and haven't looked back. Guide data might be nice to have, but I've been programming VCRs for 20+ years and know how to use a TV Guide.

BlackFlux
09-06-2005, 02:46 PM
^^thanks for the informative response. I'll check into option A. I am looking to set something up for my girlfriend.

***Edit***
Any other suggestions that you can think of that I might need to know about before I get started in checking into option A?

dewalt
09-06-2005, 07:42 PM
"Hacking" the tivo does NOT mean that we're stealing from them. I have two Directivos that I have hacked, and I do nothing to not pay the $4.99/mo fee, yet streaming a show to my computer can still be considered a hack.

Just because you hack it, doesnt necessarily mean you've broken it enough that you're stealing the service they provide.

eastwind
09-06-2005, 08:54 PM
<snip>
To me owning a Tivo is like buying a VCR and then having to pay to use it.<snip>
The big difference to a VCR is that TiVo, Inc. subsidizes the cost of the hardware with the stipulation that you must subscribe to their service in order to use it. VCR manufacturers make no such subsidies, nor stipulations.

ew

BlackFlux
09-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Just because you hack it, doesnt necessarily mean you've broken it enough that you're stealing the service they provide.
I'll let you call it.

The big difference to a VCR is that TiVo, Inc. subsidizes the cost of the hardware with the stipulation that you must subscribe to their service in order to use it. VCR manufacturers make no such subsidies, nor stipulations.
Same as above, I'll let you call it.

captain_video
09-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Tivo offers a device that does what no other consumer device can do, although many have tried to imitate it. Sure, you can use a VCR to record your shows but is your VCR smart enough to know when the network decides to change the night your favorite show is being aired or if they decide to let it run five minutes longer? Tivo has a functionality and set of features unavailable on most DVRs. Yes, I know there are other DVRs on the market that do similar things that a Tivo does but none of them do it as well, and they all charge monthly fees for their service in case you didn't know. PC-based DVRs are an entirely different breed and have their own set of quirks and foibles so you're comparing apples to oranges between them and a Tivo.

Most of us are more than willing to pay a monthly fee for the Tivo/DVR service because it allows us to set season passes one time and then walk away knowing that we'll (almost) never have to worry about missing an episode of our favorite shows. Can you program your VCR months in advance to do that? Can you program your VCR from a remote location? The last I heard the maximum you could fit on a standard T120 videotape was six hours at crappy quality. The capacity of a single upgraded Tivo could fill up an entire library of videotapes. Did I mention that the picture quality of a Tivo recording is far better than any consumer S-VHS VCR at SP speed? Standard VCRs also cannot record Dolby Digital soundtracks like a DTivo can (only certain D-VHS VCRs have that capability and only when used in conjunction with a matching DSS receiver).

Hacking a Tivo to add more functionality is a far cry from hacking it to get free Tivo service. Tivo doesn't really care what we do to our boxes as long as we keep paying the monthly service charge. We have no vested interest in seeing Tivo go out of business. If more people see what they can do with a Tivo beyond the stock set of features it can only help Tivo with increased sales.

I have done a little research and I see all these hacks and such for the Tivo.
That statement and your subsequent comments show just how little research you have actually done on the subject or else you would understand the value of paying for the Tivo/DVR service.

BlackFlux
09-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Tivo offers a device that does what no other consumer device can do, although many have tried to imitate it. Sure, you can use a VCR to record your shows but is your VCR smart enough to know when the network decides to change the night your favorite show is being aired or if they decide to let it run five minutes longer? Tivo has a functionality and set of features unavailable on most DVRs. Yes, I know there are other DVRs on the market that do similar things that a Tivo does but none of them do it as well, and they all charge monthly fees for their service in case you didn't know. PC-based DVRs are an entirely different breed and have their own set of quirks and foibles so you're comparing apples to oranges between them and a Tivo.
If you read what I said earlier you would know that I own a PVR. And you would also know that a PVR (PC) is way better than a DVR (Tivo). They only reason why I am asking about a Tivo is because I would to give one to my girlfriend as a gift.

Most of us are more than willing to pay a monthly fee for the Tivo/DVR service because it allows us to set season passes one time and then walk away knowing that we'll (almost) never have to worry about missing an episode of our favorite shows. Can you program your VCR months in advance to do that? Can you program your VCR from a remote location? The last I heard the maximum you could fit on a standard T120 videotape was six hours at crappy quality. The capacity of a single upgraded Tivo could fill up an entire library of videotapes. Did I mention that the picture quality of a Tivo recording is far better than any consumer S-VHS VCR at SP speed? Standard VCRs also cannot record Dolby Digital soundtracks like a DTivo can (only certain D-VHS VCRs have that capability and only when used in conjunction with a matching DSS receiver).
Why are ranting about the difference between a Tivo and VCR? I already said I own a PVR, you do know what that is right?

That statement and your subsequent comments show just how little research you have actually done on the subject or else you would understand the value of paying for the Tivo/DVR service.
Can you read? I said I own a PVR and it owns Tivo. Seriously it does...

stevel
09-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Then, by all means, set up a "PVR" for your girlfriend, then go away and leave us to our delusions of superiority. I fail to understand why you're interested in a TiVo in the first place.

RavenStL
09-06-2005, 10:21 PM
A hacked SD Tivo for Directv cannot be beat, Hands down. If you dont want Directv, than you have your debate.

Tivo's are for the Technically challenged AND the technically proficient.

Granted, I would have not bought a TIVO with Cable cause I am toooooo cheap to pay that fee. But everything has its niche.

My co-worker LOVES his Tivo from Dish Network. (HA, tivo....) He gets a great deal through SBC with it on his phone bill........ I mean, people who dont know will be happy nevertheless.

BlackFlux
09-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Then, by all means, set up a "PVR" for your girlfriend, then go away and leave us to our delusions of superiority. I fail to understand why you're interested in a TiVo in the first place.

^^Read the above statement by me. The reason why I am interested in a Tivo is because my girlfriend is computer illiterate. I am just looking for basic VCR functions. Manual digital recording (time and date).

dewalt
09-06-2005, 11:47 PM
I
I would love to get a tivo but I don't like think you should pay for something that should be free in the first place (Tivo Service)

People pay for that practicality and convenience that a Tivo offers. Plus, hacking it is a hobby for most of here.

Gunnyman
09-07-2005, 12:56 AM
Windows XP MCE 2005 is pretty damn ***** proof.
get that and go away...

BlackFlux
09-07-2005, 09:00 AM
How about you get a life loser. I can't believe someone actually moved my thread. The last time I checked the internet was the only place where you could be as trashy, tasteless, useless, politically incorrect, silly, stupid, meaningless, and obnoxious as you want.

People need to stop being groupieís and just keep it moving...

captain_video
09-07-2005, 09:18 AM
This thread was destined for the sewer with your first post (I'm sure I'm not the only one that saw it coming, either). Just because you say you own a DVR doesn't mean you know anything about them, else why would you be here asking questions? This is a Tivo hacking forum and not a PC-based DVR discussion forum. Had you actually read any of the forum titles you would have known that. I keep reading that you own a DVR but you are apparently clueless about what they are and do. If you really want to know about Tivos then fine. Start reading the forums and learn instead of posting insulting remarks when you don't like the answers you hear. The members here are among the best sources of info for Tivo hacking that you'll find anywhere so if you have any hope of drawing from that pool of knowledge then lose the chip on your shoulder and suck it up.

How about you get a life loser. I can't believe someone actually moved my thread. The last time I checked the internet was the only place where you could be as trashy, tasteless, useless, politically incorrect, silly, stupid, meaningless, and obnoxious as you want.
Whatever gave you that idea? You're certainly welcome to be an ass in your own home but please don't subject the rest of us to it. The mods moved your thread right where it belongs. It's non-productive, off-topic, and full of rude remarks, none of which are acceptable behaviour in any on-line forum. If you don't like our topics of discussion then kindly take your discussions and bad manners elsewhere. Right now you're probably about one or two posts away from being permanently banned from dealdatabase so I'd tread lightly if I were you. You wouldn't be the first ill-mannered newbie to be shown the door.

darrin75
09-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Sewer!!! Sewer!!!! Finally!

tivomaster
09-07-2005, 10:05 AM
(I'm sure I'm not the only one that saw it coming, either).

Noop I can't believe it took the mods as long as it did to "flush" it...

mbellot
09-07-2005, 10:45 AM
^^thanks for the informative response. I'll check into option A. I am looking to set something up for my girlfriend.

***Edit***
Any other suggestions that you can think of that I might need to know about before I get started in checking into option A?

There is nothing else to check into if you want a "reall" Tivo, the options I listed are it.

If you got the "A" route you will need to do a couple things to make it smooth.

First, make sure its a Series 1 (usually the model number is HDR-112, 212, 312). I paid ~ $70 for a 60GB Tivo a year ago, I don't know where the ebay market is at right now...

Second, you will need to run a Clear and Delete Everything (its in the menus somewhere) so that you can re-run guided setup. When you are done with guided setup (it will require a phone line and one or two calls to Tivo) you should have all your channels set up, including satellite box (if you have one).

Third, once you run out of guide data (I think you get a week or so through guided setup - its been almost a year so my memory is not that great) all of the recordings will show up in the Now Playing list as very uninformative ways (ie. Manual Recording: Channel 7, 8:00pm - 9:00pm).

I installed a network card and use edit-title.tcl to make the show name match the program I recorded for easier perusal later (and to enable extraction).

If you seriously are interested in a Tivo this forum has some of the best hackers/developers around. You need to adjust your attitude a bit tho, this forum is run with a great deal of courtesy (both expected and given) - which is why your antagonistic posts landed your thread in the sewer.

JJBliss
09-07-2005, 11:27 AM
I said I own a PVR and it owns Tivo. Seriously it does...
No. It doesn't.

BlackFlux
09-07-2005, 04:06 PM
I keep reading that you own a DVR but you are apparently clueless about what they are and do. If you really want to know about Tivos then fine. Start reading the forums and learn instead of posting insulting remarks when you don't like the answers you hear. The members here are among the best sources of info for Tivo hacking that you'll find anywhere so if you have any hope of drawing from that pool of knowledge then lose the chip on your shoulder and suck it up.

First off, I never said I own a DVR, I said I own a PVR. So yeah I am clueless about DVRís (Tivo). All I did was post a question and people started jumping on my case, but yet I am the one being accused of being insulting.

Whatever gave you that idea? You're certainly welcome to be an ass in your own home but please don't subject the rest of us to it. The mods moved your thread right where it belongs. It's non-productive, off-topic, and full of rude remarks, none of which are acceptable behaviour in any on-line forum. If you don't like our topics of discussion then kindly take your discussions and bad manners elsewhere. Right now you're probably about one or two posts away from being permanently banned from dealdatabase so I'd tread lightly if I were you. You wouldn't be the first ill-mannered newbie to be shown the door.

Lets be honest here, you guys are the ones that got off topic. And as far as non-productive, I wouldnít say that. mbellot has been more than helpful. The rest of you just responded without fully reading my posts by putting words in my mouth. All I did was correct you. If youíre wrong youíre wrong... donít take it out me. Then you THREATEN to ban me from the site. Ban me for what, for telling it like it is?!?!

The fact that this thread has 24 post just proves my point. It's not me, it's ya'll. Seriously , just ook at some of the posts. Totally uncalled for. Heck, 300 and something people chose not to respond.

captain_video
09-07-2005, 05:43 PM
FYI - The terms PVR (Personal Video Recorder) and DVR (Digital Video Recorder) are interchangeable and mean the same thing. The term PVR was used initially for all forms of hard drive recorders and the terminology has migrated to DVR as time wore on. Dish Network used to call all of their hard drive recorders PVRs and now calls them all DVRs. I apologize if I used terminology you didn't understand or recognize. :rolleyes:

People "jumped on your case" when you became argumentative about the responses you received. If you don't like the answers then maybe you shouldn't ask the questions. Better yet, learn a little more about the topic before you insert foot in mouth. You haven't impressed anyone here just because you say you own a PVR (we also heard you the first time so repeating it in every response was totally unnecessary).

If you really want to help your computer illiterate girlfriend (your words, not mine), then do her a favor and get her a Tivo with the Tivo service, ya cheapskate. For $299 you can get lifetime service on the unit and she'll love you for the convenience it provides instead of cursing you every time she misses a show because she set up the recording incorrectly or didn't have time to set it up at all. If she can't work a PC then it doesn't sound like she's going to be savvy enough to program manual recordings into a Tivo and if she can't I think you can guess who she'll be calling at all hours to do it for her. With a Tivo (and the Tivo service) you simply set it and forget it. Season passes alone make it worth the cost of admission. I guarantee that your PVR doesn't work half as well as the software developed for a Tivo. Do yourself and her a favor and bite the bullet and buy the Tivo service. You can find used ones on ebay that have lifetime service attached to them.

On another note, you could always get her a used Panasonic Showstopper or 2000/3000 series ReplayTV. The guide data and PVR functionality was included in the original cost of these units so there's no monthly fee for the service, ever. The user interface is a little easier to navigate than a Tivo and should be exactly what you're looking for. It doesn't have the same sophistication as a Tivo but works pretty well nonetheless.

BlackFlux
09-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks... I'll check into the ReplayTV option.

singe606
09-07-2005, 08:57 PM
You know what I like to do? I like to go to car dealerships and try to get one of their cars for free. I make sure I tell them their cars suck and that I already own much better cars that didn't cost me anything. I tell them the car wouldn't be for me, it's for my paraplegic brother to sit in. If they don't give me one of their crappy cars, I go to the next dealership and try there. It's a lot of fun! :rolleyes:

maule
09-07-2005, 10:35 PM
i know a guy that does that with skanky women. if you ask enough of them, one is going to say yes! works every time.

BlackFlux
09-07-2005, 11:02 PM
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

captain_video
09-08-2005, 09:25 AM
Some are, some aren't. It all depends on the laws within your state. Some "gifts" still require that you pay taxes on them, making them anything but free. A lot of gifts also have strings attached that could cost you more in the long run. If you've ever been married you know exactly what I'm talking about. ;)

mbellot
09-08-2005, 11:11 AM
If you've ever been married you know exactly what I'm talking about. ;)

Can I get an AMEN! brothers. :D

khig
09-09-2005, 12:12 AM
AMEN! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DaveHemi
09-09-2005, 10:47 AM
"Hacking" the tivo does NOT mean that we're stealing from them. I have two Directivos that I have hacked, and I do nothing to not pay the $4.99/mo fee, yet streaming a show to my computer can still be considered a hack. .

And if you pay your $4.99 a month fee and stream a show to your computer, you can then use a free program like orb (orb.com) to watch your shows while you are stuck on the stupid freeway in traffic. Makes you wish that your hour commute to work would take just a little bit longer! :D

singe606
09-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Yes, but was the car & gasoline in it free? ;)

ronrico51
09-10-2005, 12:51 AM
Gee, why don't you just buy your girlfriend a vcr? Seems like that's all you would want your Tivo to do anyways. Or, you could get her a Tivo and activate it for her, would be a very cool move if you care for her. The women in my house love Tivo, even my ultra non-techie wife.

tgif
09-11-2005, 03:18 PM
If you've ever been married you know exactly what I'm talking about. ;)
OMG, I think I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!

Don't forget about the tax-free once-per-lifetime gift of $1,000,000. I think the yearly exemption is up to $11,000. Not that I will be receiving (OR GIVING) that kind of value anytime soon, but they're just some interesting things to know. :eek:

cojonesdetoro
09-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Panasonic DMR series hard drive recorders get Guide+ listings and write DVDs.

The RCA scenium recorders have a DVD player and 40GB drive. They also get guide+ data.

The Tosihiba Tivos get tivo lite service.

Those three options are good for people who want a DVR with listings but just can't get their hands around the concept of a subscription but they are all still pretty primitive compared to a subbed Tivo. The first two are also very quirky because the guide+ system is not reliable.

tivofart
01-26-2011, 01:25 AM
I do agree that someone has to pay for the service, but Tivo does not have the right to nickle and dime people. For instance, you probably won't believe this, but if you get a second tivo in your house, they will charge you for a second account account in that home as opposed to how it should be that if you have an account in your home you can have ten tivos in your home under that one account. They neglect series 1 and 2 owners by not upgrading software where they can such as allowing network remote controls. And for their premier they made it so you can only use their wireless adapter instead of letting you use the same adapter that used for for teh series 2 for years. So if someone finds a hack that gives me tivo for free to put them out of business, i'm up for it.

stevel
01-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Anyone who is familiar with TiVo knows that additional boxes pay an additional fee, though it is typically less than half of the first box fee. You are getting additional service. If you don't like TiVo's business model, then don't buy a TiVo - and don't bother coming here because we won't be on your side.

captain_video
01-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Frankly, I have gotten tired of Tivo's business model, which is why I now use a Win 7 Media Center HTPC with a Ceton InfiniTV 4 cablecard tuner and four ATSC tuners. I pay for only one cablecard rental and absolutely no other monthly fees except what I pay Verizon for my TV package. Having Verizon as my provider is a plus because I don;t have the same DRM issues that people have with other providers. If I can record it I can transfer it to my PC and do what I want with it.

The HTPC does everything my Tivos used to do and much, much more. I've reduced my entire home theater setup to a preamp/processor and one HTPC. I've ditched all of my set top boxes that used to be connected to other TVs around the house and replaced them all with media extenders. I supplement the media extenders with media players, like the Patriot Box Office, that allow me to access other types of video formats that the extenders can't handle, like mkvs, Blu-Ray isos, and DVDs.

kilt342
02-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Need to get with the times and purchase myself one of these things!

captain_video
02-08-2011, 08:10 AM
What's to purchase? If you've already got a Windows 7 PC all you need is a tuner card and an antenna to record OTA channels. If you want cable channels then you'll have to get on a waiting list for a Ceton tuner, although they're getting caught up on back orders so the wait is much shorter these days.

There are also several other options soon to become available. Ceton is introducing both a dual tuner and a six-tuner model that still only require a single cablecard. SiliconDust is coming out with their HDHomeRun Prime that can be networked just like the original HDHomeRun and it has three digital cable tuners. SageTV is also working on a software release that will allow the use of the Ceton cards with SageTV and their media extenders.

mike_s
02-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Don't feed him. Check out his posts. Probably a .sig spammer, but one who's too clueless to figure out how to put the spam links in his .sig. :D