PDA

View Full Version : Hard wired networking question

Harry5150
09-07-2005, 01:48 AM
I have two modified & working dtivo 704's running 6.2 with have static ip's that can communicate with a laptop individually.

My question is ... Can the two be networked together with a cheapo hub or better yet just a long crossover cable so that shows can be transfered back and forth to the tivos or is a router truly necessary?

Thanks

eastwind
09-07-2005, 07:07 AM
I have two modified & working dtivo 704's running 6.2 with have static ip's that can communicate with a laptop individually.

My question is ... Can the two be networked together with a cheapo hub or better yet just a long crossover cable so that shows can be transfered back and forth to the tivos or is a router truly necessary?

Thanks
If you already have a "cheapo hub" try it. If you don't you can usually find a good deal on a router (think under $15 A/R). I think that the hub or crossover cable will work, but I'm not certain.

ew

fixn278
09-07-2005, 07:19 AM
Should work fine

eastwind
09-07-2005, 07:28 AM
Should work fine
I thought so, too, but what about the gateway? Do you just set it the the other TiVo's address?

ew

fixn278
09-07-2005, 07:35 AM
You only need a gateway if you want to get out of your local subnet.

Come to think of it, standard communications aside, using a crossover cable, you won't have a dns server and may see delays in bringing up the Now Showing list.

Regardless, it will work.