PDA

View Full Version : Weird message about deleting programs early?

onyx00
09-10-2005, 01:14 PM
On my HDVR2 w/ 6.2 I sometimes get a message when I am trying to record new programs to my hard drive saying something to the effect of "The following programs may be deleted early..."

It seems to imply that my hard drive almost full. I have a 40 GB, and the system info estimates 31 variable hours. I look in my now playing list and I have less than 10 hours recorded.

Does anyone know what the problem/deal is with this? It doesn't make sense to me.

lenroc
09-10-2005, 01:26 PM
This has to do with the upcoming recordings as well as the existing ones. Check your To Do list and you can see all the things that are set to record. Every item on that list is set, by default, to be kept for at least 2 days. The TiVo takes the upcoming recordings, how long they will be kept, and all your current recordings (and how long they are set to be kept) into account when deciding how much space is 'available'.

onyx00
09-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Ah, gotcha. Alright, I will take a look at things.

Thanks! :-)

captain_video
09-10-2005, 09:59 PM
If you have lots of season passes or have recordings set to save until you delete then you will have vastly reduced disk space for future recordings. This is one of the reasons most people upgrade to larger hard drives. The stock 40GB drive is way too small for most Tivo users, especially for the reasons cited above. While you may never actually fill up a large drive, it gives you peace of mind knowing that you won't accidentally lose any recordings if the Tivo needs room to record future programs.