PDA

View Full Version : help! Trying to build a serial cable

bondo
10-31-2001, 05:05 PM
I have an old db9 modem cable that I'm trying to build the cable with. I chopped off the db25 part, and stripped off the casing. I bought the mini-stereo plug to solder the 3 wires to. Only problem is now which wires to solder. Using the help guides I've found here, it says I need to use 2,3, and 5. According to my cable, 2,3, and 5 are brown, red, and yellow respectively. Is this correct? It doesn't sound right to me, I've never heard of a yellow being a ground. I tried to hook it up, started windows with hyperterminal, set to direct connect to com 1, plugged in dtivo, and kept hitting return repeatedly. There's no response. can anyone offer any advice who's gone through the same thing?

Mishap64
10-31-2001, 05:36 PM
I would use a ohm meter and check it back to the db9 pins to verify

There are only three wires to worry about: RX, TX, and GND. You don't even need to bother wiring the rest of the pins. On the TiVo side, the mini-stereo (TRS mini-plug) connector is wired like this:

Tip to Pin 3 (TX)
Ring to Pin 2 (RX)
Sleeve to Pin 5 (GND)

Lord Magnus
11-01-2001, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Mishap64
I would use a ohm meter and check it back to the db9 pins to verify

There are only three wires to worry about: RX, TX, and GND. You don't even need to bother wiring the rest of the pins. On the TiVo side, the mini-stereo (TRS mini-plug) connector is wired like this:

Tip to Pin 3 (TX)
Ring to Pin 2 (RX)
Sleeve to Pin 5 (GND)

Or you can swap pins 2 and 3 and alleviate the need for a null modem.

LM