PDA

View Full Version : Boot to DOS Accident

scottym
09-25-2005, 02:55 PM
I committed the unthinkable sin of leaving my tivo "A" /dev/hda attached to my PC and booted into DOS. I've read posts that warn (in strong terms) against doing this, but i did it anyway:(

Is there a straightforward way to recover and undo whatever harm DOS has done to my drive?

eastwind
09-25-2005, 03:02 PM
I committed the unthinkable sin of leaving my tivo "A" /dev/hda attached to my PC and booted into DOS. I've read posts that warn (in strong terms) against doing this, but i did it anyway:(

Is there a straightforward way to recover and undo whatever harm DOS has done to my drive?
Will the drive no longer boot in the TiVo? AFAIK, there is not a problem booting to DOS with a TiVo drive attached.

ew

scottym
09-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Will the drive no longer boot in the TiVo? AFAIK, there is not a problem booting to DOS with a TiVo drive attached.

ew
Yes, it seems to boot fine. :)

IIRC the warning was in either Cobelli's or Hinsdales's instructions. Perhaps booting to DOS with your TiVo drive is okay? Or perhaps it's still a very bad idea but I got lucky since I boot DOS from a SATA drive.

The XP "found new hardware" wizard found my TiVo "A" drive and reported it (that's when my bloodpressure increased dramatically) but I did not attempt to access the drive. I'm confident DOS wouldn't know how to mount the TiVo partitions anyway. Just afraid XP may attempt to alter what it may think is a bootsector or MBR. I looked at the partition table and it looks fine.

MOD: Feel free to move this to Newbie thread or delete, I intended this to go in the newbie thread.

eastwind
09-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Yes, it seems to boot fine. :)

IIRC the warning was in either Cobelli's or Hinsdales's instructions. Perhaps booting to DOS with your TiVo drive is okay? Or perhaps it's still a very bad idea but I got lucky since I boot DOS from a SATA drive.

The XP "found new hardware" wizard found my TiVo "A" drive and reported it (that's when my bloodpressure increased dramatically) but I did not attempt to access the drive. I'm confident DOS wouldn't know how to mount the TiVo partitions anyway. Just afraid XP may attempt to alter what it may think is a bootsector or MBR. I looked at the partition table and it looks fine.

MOD: Feel free to move this to Newbie thread or delete, I intended this to go in the newbie thread.
This is where the problem arises. You gave incomplete information. Yes, it is bad to boot into Windows XP while a TiVo drive is connected. It could write an identifier to the drive that the TiVo box wouldn't recognize at all, an so wouldn't boot the drive. But you said you booted DOS. Don't beleive that the SATA drive has anything to do with it (you might've been lucky, or just smart not to try to access the drive). And you're right about XP not being able to read the partition table.

For anyone else that has a problem. Try to be more specific if you want to ask for help with it. Don't say "I booted DOS" when you mean "I booted Windows XP" and if you do get a drive that can't be recognized because XP wrote a signature on it, try searching for maketivobootable.

ew

scottym
09-25-2005, 11:57 PM
Upon reflection I can see how my eponymous use of the term DOS may be misleading. :confused:

Please accept my apologies :o