PDA

View Full Version : Tytool - jerking video when playback of VOB

port_paly
09-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Ok, I have looked and tried the forum search feature but haven't found the answer so here I am.

I have a series 1 tivo.
My PC is a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz 533FSB
Hacked...everything on the tivo end seems to work as I want it to.
Installed TyTool9r18.zip.
Can sucessfully do the following.

1. Start tserver
2. View now showing
3. Transfer .ty file from Tivo to my PC
4. Make key files
5. Edit key files with GOP editor, start stop points, fwd, bwd, etc.
6. Multipliex into regular .mpg files with edited sections (commercials) removed.

The resulting .mpg files play fine. Work with all the various .mpg players I have on my PC. No errors or glitches.

What does not work so far is "VOB-mux file(s)" followed by "create IFO files/Dirs".
I have attempted this with MANY .ty files selected from many different days.
Results are allways the same.

I produce a folder with a working DVD menu...I select the show from a DVD playback utility on the PC...the video staggers.
Stagger = plays 1/2 or 1 seconds...pauses...plays 1/2 or 1 secs...pauses for the entire showing.
Occasionally I have burned the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files to a DVD+RW disc...playback on my 2 DVD players is the same as with the PC playback utilities...staggering/jerking.

I have tried both the "VOB-mux files" menu option as well as the "VOB-mux (new format) 1" menu options for all of the files...before doing the "create IFO files/Dirs". The results are the same.

I can take a DVD movie making utility and transcode the muxed .mpg file into a DVD playable .VOB file (several hours of transcoding) but this is really a bummer.

P.S.: I also tried 2 versions of Cygwin1.dll Cygwin-2-20-04.zip and cygwin1-5-12-2004.zip

Any ideas or suggestions?

eastwind
09-26-2005, 12:48 AM
Try a different burner.
Try a different brand of DVD+RW.
Try a DVD-RW (if you burner allows it).
Try a different software player (which one did you say you're using?).
Try a different hard disk.
Change the audio transcoding to something else.
Use Standard Mux Output (not SVCD/VCD or Ulead Fix). <--my best guess
Re-install the software (TyTool9r18 is still the latest, though).
Use the cygwin1.dll file linked at the beginning of the TyTool9r18 thread.
Do a rain dance (or the equivalent for burning DVDs).

ew

laserfan
09-26-2005, 09:06 AM
What are the resolutions and bitrates of the ty files you are trying to convert? If they are not DVD-compliant they will play but they'll do so with the symptoms you describe.

It's been a couple of years since I tinkered w/this (resolutions & bitrates) but I distinctly recall the results you describe, particularly if you are trying to use 544 IIRC.

I should add that it was a recent Sony player that had trouble. To be safest/most compliant your Tivo needs to be set to 720x480 or 352x480. I found the latter, tho not the best resolution, to have the smoothest playback.

captain_video
09-26-2005, 09:12 AM
So far I haven't seen any mention of the type of Tivo you're extracting the video from. This is key to knowing what needs to be transcoded and what settings are necessary for a proper extraction and muxing of the files.

port_paly
09-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Well I did say "I have a series 1 tivo." in my message which I suppose is S1.

Got this from Tivoweb info display.
--------------------
TiVo Box Information
Software System: 3.0-01-1-000
Service Number:
System Type: United States Series 1 Stand-Alone
Tuner Count: 1
---------------------
Kernel Information

Version 2.1.24-TiVo-2.5
Compile #8 Wed May 8 15:38:27 PDT 2002
-----------------------

Answering questions raised..in order
Try a different burner.
Try a different brand of DVD+RW.
Try a DVD-RW (if you burner allows it).
--umm why...the files won't playback without stutter before I burn them.

Try a different software player (which one did you say you're using?).
--Nero showtime, Nvidia NVDVD, Windows Media Player

Try a different hard disk.
--Umm ok but...when I convert to .mpg it plays fine from this HDD.

Change the audio transcoding to something else.
--How do I do this from tytool?

Use Standard Mux Output (not SVCD/VCD or Ulead Fix). <--my best guess
--Hmm..very interesting..found this in the options menu...it is/was configured for standard...and I haven't changed it. Oddly the VOB mux output and split files options are dimmed in the menu. Why not?

Re-install the software (TyTool9r18 is still the latest, though).
Use the cygwin1.dll file linked at the beginning of the TyTool9r18 thread.
--Have tried both the cygwin1 files shown in the TyTool9r18 thread.

Do a rain dance (or the equivalent for burning DVDs).
--I've found this often works best myself in IT. :D

Thank you eastwind for all the suggestions...it gets my brain going.

What are the resolutions and bitrates of the ty files you are trying to convert? If they are not DVD-compliant they will play but they'll do so with the symptoms you describe.
Thank you for the question...are there tools in tytool to tell me?

o be safest/most compliant your Tivo needs to be set to 720x480 or 352x480.
What setting on tivo controls this? Is it a tivo menu option or something I configure from telnet session?

Thanks again all for your ideas and if this reply gives you any more please let fly :confused:

eastwind
09-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Try the output in PowerDVD or WinDVD instead. Those two are known to work well (I think their codecs are the key).

What happens if you play the .VOB file directly (without authoring)?

What about the audio transcoding?

Did I mention that you might try a different burning program? I use RecordNow.

As for the greyed-out menu selections--haven't been implemented yet by the author.

Any of the suggestions could be a fix. I don't know how any will fix or if any will break your computer. It sounds like you're doing everything right, but it still isn't working. I never had that problem, but there are only a few things that can actually be wrong. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a PEBKAC error. :)

ew

cheer
09-26-2005, 03:06 PM
o be safest/most compliant your Tivo needs to be set to 720x480 or 352x480.
What setting on tivo controls this? Is it a tivo menu option or something I configure from telnet session?
Tivo menu option...on a standalone Tivo you can set the recording quality, which changes the resolution the video records at.

captain_video
09-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Well I did say "I have a series 1 tivo." in my message which I suppose is S1.
What I was looking for was standalone vs. DirecTivo model. This was defined in your 2nd post. The audio from a standalone model needs to be transcoded whereas the DTivo audio does not. Video from a DTivo is fixed at 480x480 resolution. SA models vary in resolution based on the recording quality you set it for. You can set the video resolution for 720x480 (DVD spec) using TivoWeb. Look here (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12736&highlight=544x480) for info on setting the resolution on a SA Tivo. Audio settings need to be specified in TyTools to transcode the audio to DVD spec (48kHz). Check the docs that came with TyTools for instructions. Since you don't seem to know where this setting is made I would suggest you start there and then try again before posting. You are trying to find the solution to a problem that may be of your own making. Setting up TyTools isn't hard once you know what needs to be done.

laserfan
09-26-2005, 10:51 PM
If you haven't used TivoWeb to change the resolution, out-of-box your Tivo's Best quality for example is 544x480, which is not DVD compliant.

Look for a thread here by searching 544x480 and that will tell you about the different settings. I'm certain that's your problem.

Tivoweb will be good for you to install for a number of reasons, but it allows you to assert DVD-compliant resolutions on your Tivo. As captain_video says too, OOB your S1 Tivo's audio isn't compliant, but TyTool will make it so.

Good luck.

eastwind
09-26-2005, 10:58 PM
If you haven't used TivoWeb to change the resolution, out-of-box your Tivo's Best quality for example is 544x480, which is not DVD compliant.

Look for a thread here by searching 544x480 and that will tell you about the different settings. I'm certain that's your problem.

Tivoweb will be good for you to install for a number of reasons, but it allows you to assert DVD-compliant resolutions on your Tivo. As captain_video says too, OOB your S1 Tivo's audio isn't compliant, but TyTool will make it so.

Good luck.
Pretty sure the resolution won't prevent a software DVD player from playing the show.

ew

laserfan
09-27-2005, 11:58 PM
Pretty sure the resolution won't prevent a software DVD player from playing the show.You might be right--I missed that post about the software players.

OTOH it seems to me that when I was playing with this (Tivo settings, VCD, SVCD, and DVD creation) I might have had some software player problems too. Don't recall--it's been 3+ years.

Anyway I think port_paly would do well to make certain the resolution & audio are DVD-compliant before doing anything else. I know some stb players are more tolerant than others--my Sony sure didn't like anything that wasn't to spec.

captain_video
09-28-2005, 08:12 AM
Pretty sure the resolution won't prevent a software DVD player from playing the show.
It also won't prevent most current DVD hardware players from playing it either. I've made a lot of DVDs from Dish PVRs at 544x480 resolution and they play back just fine on all of my settop DVD players, and one of them is a Sony.