PDA

View Full Version : mfsadd -x again

manzwa
09-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Hello,
I have a dvr that I am upgrading...again. I used a sddvr40 drive that I hacked and duplicated it to my sddvr80. Reduced the work etc... Now, I purchased a 300 gig drive and am trying to copy entire 80 gig hacked to the 300 gig. I keep getting report of not enough room on destination drive.

My take on what I have read in this forum is that I can not expand again. Meaning, when I expanded (mfsbackup|mfsrestore -x the 40 to 80) and now trying to expand again (mfsbackup|mfsrestore -x the 80 to 300) I will recieve this error. Please correct me if I am wrong. This situation makes certain thinking ahead more neccessary and prevents lots of future after expansions requiring keeping the original backup/drive intact while keeping shows a feat.

Now, Does this situation mean that I can not take the step of just adding the /dev/hdb with the mfsadd -x? In other words getting the upgrade kit which allows the second drive to be mounted via the bracket plus add the cooling fan? Basically I am considering to have the 80 PLUS the 300 and have a total of 380 boiling down to about 322 hours of recordings. Does this rule of expanding apply to this situation?

I am guessing I will have to expand the original 40 hacked drive to the 300 or 80 plus 300. Which ever seems to apeal best. I actually like to keep the 80gig for other uses but that all depends on choices available.

Thanks in advance,
Manzwa

eastwind
09-26-2005, 10:49 PM
Hello,
I have a dvr that I am upgrading...again. I used a sddvr40 drive that I hacked and duplicated it to my sddvr80. Reduced the work etc... Now, I purchased a 300 gig drive and am trying to copy entire 80 gig hacked to the 300 gig. I keep getting report of not enough room on destination drive.

My take on what I have read in this forum is that I can not expand again. Meaning, when I expanded (mfsbackup|mfsrestore -x the 40 to 80) and now trying to expand again (mfsbackup|mfsrestore -x the 80 to 300) I will recieve this error. Please correct me if I am wrong. This situation makes certain thinking ahead more neccessary and prevents lots of future after expansions requiring keeping the original backup/drive intact while keeping shows a feat.

Now, Does this situation mean that I can not take the step of just adding the /dev/hdb with the mfsadd -x? In other words getting the upgrade kit which allows the second drive to be mounted via the bracket plus add the cooling fan? Basically I am considering to have the 80 PLUS the 300 and have a total of 380 boiling down to about 322 hours of recordings. Does this rule of expanding apply to this situation?

I am guessing I will have to expand the original 40 hacked drive to the 300 or 80 plus 300. Which ever seems to apeal best. I actually like to keep the 80gig for other uses but that all depends on choices available.

Thanks in advance,
Manzwa
Your choices are good, but there are a couple more. If you add the 300 as a 'b' drive, use the -r 4 option for mfstools since the drive is bigger than 274 GB.

Extract the recordings from the 80 with mfs_ftp and restore them after expanding the 40GB image to the 300GB. This will allow you to save the recordings and expand the image.

A final choice would be to dd the 80 onto the 300 and then hand manipulate the partition table to get the extra room. This is not for the faint of heart, and the details of at least the theory can be found at alt.org.

ew

manzwa
09-29-2005, 07:04 PM
Your choices are good, but there are a couple more. If you add the 300 as a 'b' drive, use the -r 4 option for mfstools since the drive is bigger than 274 GB.

Extract the recordings from the 80 with mfs_ftp and restore them after expanding the 40GB image to the 300GB. This will allow you to save the recordings and expand the image.

A final choice would be to dd the 80 onto the 300 and then hand manipulate the partition table to get the extra room. This is not for the faint of heart, and the details of at least the theory can be found at alt.org.

ew
Hey, thanks for the confirmation of my understanding on the situation and how it works. Reading some of these threads does not always come in clearly. I will look at the use of mfs_ftp. I would venture a guess that copying the shows, season pass and other stuff is not possible via the computer. In other words while having the old and new drive in a PC. I have not found anything that will say yeah or nay via the search but that does not mean it is not out there. I am certain this type of moving of movies would be the fastest way to perform the transaction if this means is possible. Pardon the question if it is an answer that most of the regulars know. As my title indicates, I am still in training.

Appreciate your time in responding.
Manzwa