PDA

View Full Version : Tivo video converter

rob4crib
09-27-2005, 02:52 AM
Is it possible to convert a home digital movie thats on my competer so that it can be shared with tivo for viewing?
any help would be great, thanks

artships
09-27-2005, 03:29 AM
Plug it in to the cable/satellite input, play it, let TiVo record it. Same process as converting the odd VHS tape to DVD.

captain_video
09-27-2005, 08:12 AM
Plug it in to the cable/satellite input, play it, let TiVo record it. Same process as converting the odd VHS tape to DVD.
Whooooa, not so fast. You can't plug a digital camcorder into the satellite input on a DTivo (you never specified what kind of Tivo you have). You can, however, use the analog inputs on a standalone Tivo to transfer video from a camcorder to the Tivo, although I'm not sure why you'd want to do it with a digital camcorder. You'd be better off transferring the digital video to your PC and making a DVD from it rather than putting it on your Tivo. You'll get significant loss of quality using the analog approach.

JohnSorTivo
09-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Better yet, if you are indeed using a DTIVO, no digital to analog conversion required when using ty enabled mplex (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42006&highlight=ty+mplex). Just tranfer the digital video to your PC, demux it, and mux it using the above referenced file, and insert into your Tivo for your viewing pleasure.

Roger Dylan
09-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Whooooa, not so fast. You can't plug a digital camcorder into the satellite input on a DTivo.
He's clearly talking about the analog inputs of an SA and he is correct.

JohnSorTivo
09-27-2005, 11:07 AM
He's clearly talking about the analog inputs of an SA and he is correct.Boy, it's not clear to me, since he states:

Plug it in to the cable/satellite input, play it, let TiVo record it.And you can plug it into the satellite input until you're blue in the face, and nothing's gonna happen...

Roger Dylan
09-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Boy, it's not clear to me, since he states:
And you can plug it into the satellite input until you're blue in the face, and nothing's gonna happen...

In a SA, you plug the signal from a cable or satellite box into those inputs. He is referring to those SA inputs as most SA users do, and his meaning is clear. He is not suggesting plugging an analog signal into the input of a DTivo.

captain_video
09-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Yeah, clear as mud.:rolleyes: Lots of newbies here would try to do exactly as instructed and wonder why it wouldn't work, especially in light of the fact that there was no mention of what type of Tivo he was using. You need to use correct terminology and not something implied when posting. The reader shouldn't have to try and translate an obscure meaning.

artships
09-27-2005, 02:42 PM
Yeah, clear as mud.:rolleyes:
You're right. Not having a video camera I assumed it would have RCA plugs for output, just like a VCR, so would plug-in to the SAT/Cable inputs on a standalone TiVo. Mea culpa.

Thanks for picking up after me.

Roger Dylan
09-27-2005, 03:19 PM
Not having a video camera I assumed it would have RCA plugs for output, just like a VCR, so would plug-in to the SAT/Cable inputs on a standalone TiVo. Mea culpa.

Before anybody jumps on you, you meant "jacks" not "plugs". We must endeavor to be precise.

Most camcorders do. For others you use an adapter (usually included). Worst case, a converter.

Most people who want to get their home movies or stuff onto Tivo just want to get it done, for convenience or some such purpose; getting the best quality is not the top priority. The process you describe works.

There is loss. And the OP has his camcorder file on his computer, which probably takes away some of the convenience of the direct connect method. I was never saying that direct connect way was the _best_ way in any case, simply that the process you described (analog compostite/s-video into the cable/satellite box input of a Tivo SA) works.

eastwind
09-27-2005, 04:08 PM
Is it possible to convert a home digital movie thats on my competer so that it can be shared with tivo for viewing?
any help would be great, thanks
Sure, look for the tivoserver thread if you have an S2. Or the ty enabled mpegencoder.

ew