PDA

View Full Version : 4:3 to 16:9

+Demo
09-27-2005, 02:49 PM
Am I correct in thinking that if I set my S1 Dtivo to 16:9 that when I extract the video to burn to DVD that it will show in 16:9 on my tv ?

Also does that setting affect previously recorded shows ?

Thanks
Demo

captain_video
09-27-2005, 03:11 PM
The aspect ratio only affects the way your shows are displayed on the TV. It has no affect on the ty files themselves. If you set it to 16:9 then all widescreen shows are stretched to fill the screen. Letterboxed 4:3 programs will then be displayed correctly on a 16:9 display. Regular 4:3 programs will be vertically letterboxed with side panels. If you set the display for 4:3 then widescreen programs will be shown in letterbox format and 4:3 shows will fill the display.

There are other variations the may require adjustment of the aspect ratio on your widescreen TV to properly display a particular program. You basically just need to let the HDTivo know that you've got either a standard 4:3 TV or a widescreen 16:9 set and it will display the programs properly, with some caveats regarding widescreen programming. A lot of it has to do with whether or not you are viewing a digital OTA channel or SD channel.

+Demo
09-27-2005, 03:18 PM
I have a S1 Dtivo and I can extract and burn DVD's using Tytools fine.
When I watch them on my 16:9 TV it shows a 4:3 picture on the left hand side of my screen. I would like to convert that 4:3 to 16:9.

Thanks
Demo

eastwind
09-27-2005, 04:00 PM
I have a S1 Dtivo and I can extract and burn DVD's using Tytools fine.
When I watch them on my 16:9 TV it shows a 4:3 picture on the left hand side of my screen. I would like to convert that 4:3 to 16:9.

Thanks
Demo
Might be easier to get a DVD player that can handle the 480x480 resolution better.

ew

captain_video
09-27-2005, 04:21 PM
Yep, that's a compatibility issue with the DVD player and tyDVDs. The only solution is to get a newer player that likes SVCDs.

cheer
09-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Yep, that's a compatibility issue with the DVD player and tyDVDs. The only solution is to get a newer player that likes SVCDs.
Well there's another part to this. Even with a proper player, if the show is widescreen (letterboxed), the DTivo nevertheless records everything in 4:3. (I'm talking SD, of course.)

So when I burn a DVD, and I play it on the TV, it plays as a 4:3 image letterboxed. On my 16:9 TV, that bites because I either have to "stretch" it (which distorts the image) or "Zoom" it (which blows it up and doesn't look so great). I'd love to be able to "crop" the letterboxing off the video before authoring and create a true 16:9 DVD.

Sadly, the only way I could see doing that would be to re-encode, so... :(