PDA

View Full Version : Exctraction from DTivo, re-encoded? quality?

pgethea
09-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Hi all,
after lots of reading on this board, I was able to hack my S2 Directivo and extract the TY files using TyTool9r18 and tserver. Works great, am also able to burn a DVD, no problem.
when I play the DVD on my TV or the VOB file on my laptop, the quality looks pretty good, but (maybe) a bit worse than the original Tivo show. Does this process re-encode at all or recompress the stream in any way? or is it just converting the Tivo MPEG-2 stream to a PC/DVD friendly file?
just curious, thanks in advance for the response.
pgethea

eastwind
09-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Hi all,
after lots of reading on this board, I was able to hack my S2 Directivo and extract the TY files using TyTool9r18 and tserver. Works great, am also able to burn a DVD, no problem.
when I play the DVD on my TV or the VOB file on my laptop, the quality looks pretty good, but (maybe) a bit worse than the original Tivo show. Does this process re-encode at all or recompress the stream in any way? or is it just converting the Tivo MPEG-2 stream to a PC/DVD friendly file?
just curious, thanks in advance for the response.
pgethea
It's the same MPEG-2 stream with the TiVo markers/packaging stripped away. No re-encoding.

ew

cheer
09-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Well that depends, actually.

If you're just pulling them down with TyTool, creating IFO and burning, then no there's no re-encoding.

On the other hand, if you are using some kind of DVD authoring program, it may re-encode. But you'll know it if that happens, 'cos it will take forever.

There are still some reasons why the video may look a bit worse on your TV. DTivo files are all 480 x 480 MPEG2, approx. 60 fields/sec(*) interlaced video. Different DVD players handle this in different ways. Are you doing progressive scan output to a digital TV? If so, your player may be trying to decomb/deinterlace the video, which will not look good. Your TV may also try the same trick. Some cheaper DVD players also just handle SVCD-resolution stuff poorly. (And other things...my DVDs look better on my plasma when I turn OFF prog. scan because my TV's decombing looks a million times better than when the player does it.)

What steps are you taking to author the discs? What kind of player and TV, and how are they connected?

(*)Thanks to FredThompson, I'll never forget that NTSC is NOT 29.97 frames/sec but 59.94 (or whatever) FIELDS/sec. :)

pgethea
09-29-2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone.
I am just using Nero to burn the DVD, and using a basic RCA DVD player to play the DVD's on a 27 inch Panasonic TV (no progressive scan), connected by a S-Video cable.

I am happy to hear that it isnt reencoded, as I suspected, since everything I do goes pretty quick (except for transferring the TY file over, which is slow since I am on a wirleess link).

In terms fo the steps I am using, after I download the TY, I convert to VOB, then create the IFO's and burn with Nero.

Thanks again.

cheer
09-29-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone.
I am just using Nero to burn the DVD, and using a basic RCA DVD player to play the DVD's on a 27 inch Panasonic TV (no progressive scan), connected by a S-Video cable.

I am happy to hear that it isnt reencoded, as I suspected, since everything I do goes pretty quick (except for transferring the TY file over, which is slow since I am on a wirleess link).

In terms fo the steps I am using, after I download the TY, I convert to VOB, then create the IFO's and burn with Nero.
Then there shouldn't be any change in quality. Try hooking your DVD player up via composite instead of S-Video -- believe it or not, that may make a difference. Alternatively, try borrowing a different player -- some players just don't like TyDVDs.