PDA

View Full Version : tytool to DVDlab Studio --- Asking Bato or anyone else who can help.

michman
09-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Bato,

I don't mean to call you out, but of all the hundreds of threads I have read about this subject you seam to be the pro.

I am currently using tytool 9r18 and DVDlab studio 1.2. Do you know of any fool-proof way to download and compile with DVD lab. If so, could you include all the pertinent settings to do so?

Basically right now I download the ty files, edit the ads out of the key file, and then I don't know what to do. Demux or not, mpeg or vob, nothing works. Every time I try import them as assets DVD lab won't compile.

If it's not too much trouble, I would greatly appreciate anything you could help me with.

P.S. I am not completely set in stone with either software version. If there are other software versions that work I am all ears. The only requirement I have is I want to use DVD-lab to author. Any way to get me there works.

bato
09-28-2005, 05:12 PM
I haven't tested DVDlab Studio, but please write the error messages DVDlab shows.

Some people have sucess downloading with TyTool directly to mpg then use VideoReDo to edit and use DVDlab as the authoring app.

michman
09-28-2005, 05:24 PM
the biggest problem I have with DVD-lab studio is that it does not show me any error messages. When I try to compile it gets a little over half way done and just stops. It doesn't say anything, it doesn't freeze, nothing. It's just like you never pushed the compile button.

That said, I have tried downloading to an mpeg and editing with VideoReDo. I really like the application to tell you the truth. It however gives the same result with DVD-lab Studio. Do you by chance know of any specific version of DVD-lab that does work every time, and where I could get it? Because I really don't care if i'm using DVDlab, DVDlab studio, or DVDlab Pro. As long as i can find some version of DVDlab that works.

cheer
09-28-2005, 06:30 PM
I don't think the problem is DVD-Lab, although I do find the lack of error messages annoying.

The problem is a combination of a couple things. First, Tivo streams (especially DTivo streams) can be funky. Giant GOPs, field order flipping...all sorts of mishmash. It's possible that when you get the aborts that something is just "wrong" in the stream.

Furthermore, there has been a lot of debate about TyTool and moving to other applications. Alphawolf has said (rather persuasively IMHO) that TyTool works extremely well if you do all edits within TyTool and use it to directly create TyDVDs, but not as well if the TyTool output is headed to another program.

I use TyProcess to convert to mpg, edit in VideoReDo, then pull into DVD-Lab to author. Of the probably 50+ videos I've done this with so far (just started using DVD-Lab), two refused to finish in DVD-Lab. Couldn't figure out why, so I just re-encoded them (same resolution, etc.). Not nuts about the quality loss but the re-encoded file worked fine.

I've run into 5 or 6 that TyProcess couldn't handle (it just freezes). So I cheated and used TyTool on those without a problem. Also I occasionally run into a file that VideoReDo barfs on, but a QuickStreamFix (from within VideoReDo) usually sorts that out. I can't remember if any of these happened on the same file or not.

Anyway, editing/converting/burning Tivo files can be a bit more art than science.

michman
09-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Sounds like you have a little more luck than I do. What version of each of the software do you use?

cheer
09-29-2005, 12:22 PM
Sounds like you have a little more luck than I do. What version of each of the software do you use?

TyTool 9R18
mfs_ftp 1.29p
typrocess 0.50
VideoReDo Plus 2.1.0.380
DVD-Lab Pro 1.53
TMPG-Enc Plus 2.520.54.163 (if i have to re-encode)

Think that's everything...

captain_video
09-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Alphawolf has said (rather persuasively IMHO) that TyTool works extremely well if you do all edits within TyTool and use it to directly create TyDVDs, but not as well if the TyTool output is headed to another program.
IIRC, AW is a proponent of TyStudio more than he is of TyTool. He is convinced that there are issues with TyTools when converting to mpegs. I'm stating this from a failing memory so don't quote me or accuse me of putting words in AW's mouth as I stand corrected if I am in error.

I've been using DVD-Lab version 1.3.1 for a couple of years now and it's worked great. I've never tried DVD-Lab Pro as I have heard it doesn't have the alternate multiplexing scheme that works well with tympegs.

My method is as follows:

1. Extract with TyTools (9r18) in TyStream mode
2. Mux to mpgs in TyTools
3. Edit and remux with cuts using VideoReDo
4. Import mpegs into DVD-Lab and let it demux to elementary streams
5. Author and compile using alternate muxing engine.

I've probably authored and burned over 1000 DVDs in the past five years using various combinations of programs (TyTools, TyStudio, SpruceUp, DVD Workshop, DVD-Lab, VideoReDo, and probably a few others) and the combination I'm currently using has produced the most consistent results. DVD-Lab is the most forgiving of non-standard DVD formats than any other program I've tried to date.

superleo
09-29-2005, 02:54 PM
I've been using DVD-Lab version 1.3.1 for a couple of years now and it's worked great. I've never tried DVD-Lab Pro as I have heard it doesn't have the alternate multiplexing scheme that works well with tympegs.

I second that, however I have tryed DVD-Lab Pro and it just hasn't work for me either although I know there is people out there that uses it with tys streams.

My process is almost the same as the captain's with the exeption that I convert the ty to VOBs and then import it to DVD-Lab and let it split (multiplex the file).

The process after this is the same and I love the results... you can do as much art or as straight foward of a dvd as you want. Great software.

cheer
09-29-2005, 05:47 PM
IIRC, AW is a proponent of TyStudio more than he is of TyTool. He is convinced that there are issues with TyTools when converting to mpegs. I'm stating this from a failing memory so don't quote me or accuse me of putting words in AW's mouth as I stand corrected if I am in error.
Yes, he is. Something to do with how dropouts/fade are/is handled. I'm not enough of an MPG guru to understand the argument, or the argument to the contrary.

By and large, my choice largely ended up happening like this:

Used TyTool happily
Hit some problem streams that drove me nuts
Tried TyProcess/VideoReDo per AW's suggestion
Used TyProcess/VideoReDo happily

I'm a creature of inertia, in that sense. I also think TyProcess converts to MPG faster than TyTool, and FAE isn't an issue since (A) I use VideoReDo anyway, and (B) I'm a lot happier with VideoReDo's FAE than I am TyTool's.

It does not -- though I have not had an issue so far. But I will try the non-Pro version of DVD-Lab to see what the difference is.

captain_video
09-29-2005, 10:52 PM
I tend to stick with what works until someone can show me something that works better. So far I haven't found anything that does what I need it to better than TyTools for extraction, VideoReDo for editing, DVD-Lab for authoring, and Nero for burning. I can't remember the last time I actually had to deal with a bad ty file that I couldn't process to DVD or even one that had synch problems. All that stuff is ancient history with my current stable of apps. :D

michman
09-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Thanks everyone for all the help. I finally got it. Here was my process:

1. Use tytools to download as a mpeg
2. use mpeg-vcr to edit out commercials
3. use mpeg-vcr's "MPEG GOP Fixer" (in the tools menu). I belive this is the most important step. DVDlab gets triped up with the GOP problems that tytools creats.
4. import newly edited and fixed mpegs into DVDlab and demuxe
5. Compile
6. Burn with nero

Thanks again for everyones help and support.

cheer
09-30-2005, 04:12 PM
3. use mpeg-vcr's "MPEG GOP Fixer" (in the tools menu). I belive this is the most important step. DVDlab gets triped up with the GOP problems that tytools creats.
Just to pick a nit...TyTool doesn't create the GOP issues. DirecTV does. D* streams often have open GOPs (drops or whatever), excessively long GOPs, and so on.

captain_video
09-30-2005, 07:14 PM
You wouldn't need to use the GOP fixer if you didn't use MPEG2VCR for making your edits. MPEG2VCR doesn't always work well with tympegs due to the unusual GOP header spacing and may end up creating problems instead of fixing them. You'd be better off using TyTools to perform your edits or splurge and get a copy of VideoReDo for $50.

bato
10-01-2005, 09:11 AM
michman, you use mpeg-vcr gop fixer to fix all errors? it takes seconds or minutes to complete? IIRC mpeg-vcr say that can correct 3 types of GOP errors, the last is actually break the large GOPs into smaller ones. This feature is also in VideoReDo, but this take time and makes the file bigger.

I remember in the past a DVDlab version that worked by only fixing GOP problems 1 and 2 with mpeg-vcr. You can do a test editing with VideoReDo and fixing GOPs errors 1 and 2 with mpeg-vcr.