PDA

View Full Version : Possible to extract audio from audio-only recording?

madlobster
09-30-2005, 02:03 AM
I've searched, but can't find an answer to this problem.

I've extracted a audio-only recording from one of DirecTV's music channels as a a .ty file. It plays fine through tyshow. I want to convert it to MP3, but when I try to de-mux it, every program I try crashes.

Any suggestions?

eastwind
09-30-2005, 04:57 AM

I've extracted a audio-only recording from one of DirecTV's music channels as a a .ty file. It plays fine through tyshow. I want to convert it to MP3, but when I try to de-mux it, every program I try crashes.

Any suggestions?
First suggestion would be to tell us what you've tried. Obviously only you can know what you've already tried, so no one else will be able to make good suggestions because you might've already tried them.

Second (only if you haven't already tried it), try vsplit--part of the TyTool package. It might be able to demux a .ty stream better than any mpeg tool because it was made to do so.

ew

cheer
09-30-2005, 08:49 AM
First suggestion would be to tell us what you've tried. Obviously only you can know what you've already tried, so no one else will be able to make good suggestions because you might've already tried them.

Second (only if you haven't already tried it), try vsplit--part of the TyTool package. It might be able to demux a .ty stream better than any mpeg tool because it was made to do so.
Or you can just use TyTool directly -- I've done that many times. Works like a champ.

madlobster
09-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Or you can just use TyTool directly -- I've done that many times. Works like a champ.

Both TyTool and vsplit crash with the Windows message that the program "has encountered a problem and needs to close." I've also tried tydemux and hdemux. Neither of them work.

cheer
09-30-2005, 04:10 PM
Both TyTool and vsplit crash with the Windows message that the program "has encountered a problem and needs to close." I've also tried tydemux and hdemux. Neither of them work.
Then it sounds like either (A) you have a bad or missing cygwin1.dll (possibly, although I don't know that TyTool uses it for this part; I vaguely remember it's used for the editor), or (B) there's something wrong with the stream. Of course, you're able to play it with TyShow...

Only other thing I can think of is that there's something up on your PC. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but then none of this does...what model DTivo are you extracting from?

madlobster
09-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Then it sounds like either (A) you have a bad or missing cygwin1.dll (possibly, although I don't know that TyTool uses it for this part; I vaguely remember it's used for the editor), or (B) there's something wrong with the stream. Of course, you're able to play it with TyShow...

Only other thing I can think of is that there's something up on your PC. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but then none of this does...what model DTivo are you extracting from?

It's a RCA DVR40 with 6.2 software. No problem with extracting video programs, just this audio-only one. The cygwin1.dll is just fine.

Perhaps something went wrong with the recording. I'll record a new one and try again. Hopefully I'll get it figured out by Nov. 15...

tvtyme
10-06-2005, 09:00 PM
I'm having the same problem. TyTools extraction (TyStream Mode, Standard Mux output, No Audio Transcoding). Then I used vsplit against the ty file:

C:\Program Files\TyTool9r18>vSplit9r16 -t5 -w -a NotTonight.ty test.vid test.aud
Processing 'NotTonight.ty': (10 chunks per tick)

Transcoding Audio: Target -> 48000 @ 192000

Detected Tivo Type: DTivo
Detected Audio Stream Type: MPEG Layer II
Final standardAudioSize = 784
Final standardFrameLength = 0
Final standardAudioDiff = 6480 or 00:00:00.072
First Video PTS: 13:15:21.858

11111 -> Chunk contains neither audio nor video data. Stop here...

ParseChunk: Number of Records: 1 ( 1 0 ff ff)
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
===============================================
# 0 0 ( 0): 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

*****DONE with HEADERS!!!!!

I've tried all 8 different "-t" (Audio Transcoding) options. The resulting audio file 'test.vid.m2a' is empty. Any thoughts?

Peace

ScottB
11-06-2005, 02:20 PM
I get the same thing......Hughes DVR40 6.2

Detected Tivo Type: Series2
Detected Audio Stream Type: MPEG Layer II
Final standardAudioSize = 592
Final standardFrameLength = 576
Final standardAudioDiff = 2160 or 00:00:00.024
First Video PTS: 00:04:51.023

11111 -> Chunk contains neither audio nor video data. Stop here...

ParseChunk: Number of Records: 1 ( 1 0 ff ff)
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
===============================================
# 0 0 ( 0): 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

khmann
11-17-2005, 09:57 AM
I was having the same problems. I am using a S1 with 3.1.0b tivoapp, patched for noscramble and audio. extraction itself works fine, the problem is splitting audio only .tmf.

I had problems with tyshow 0.14 playing some of the files.
tytool (vsplit 9r16) generates 0 length audio file when splitting.

hdemux 0.12 wants to work - it at least produces an audio file, but it only plays for 5-10 seconds before it skips forward about 5 minutes, plays for another 5 seconds, skips again...

so I disabled the timestamp discontinuity whatever stuff, and OH YEAH BABY!
perhaps this check could become optional in future versions of hdemux?

--- hdemux.c-orig 2005-11-17 08:39:29.000000000 -0500
+++ hdemux.c 2005-11-17 08:39:54.000000000 -0500
@@ -1323,7 +1323,7 @@
}
chunk_parse_rec(p, &type, &major, &time);
if (!i) {
- if (!time_validate(time, lasttime, vstream.ticks_per_chunk)) {
+ if (0) {
if (errcnt++ < CONTINUITY_MAX_ERROR) {
/*
* Be silent about first discontinuity.

and no, I don't have a windows binary for you. sorry. better ask the hdemux folks.

BEFORE:
D:\xtract>hdemux -i bpm-.ty -a test.m2a -v test.m2v
Version 0.12
Source is bpm-.ty
MPEG2 audio at 48kHz, 576 bytes/sync frame
Warning: Skipping chunk 4 due to timestamp discontinuity
Warning: Attempting resync due to repeated time discontinuity
Warning: Skipping chunk 68 due to timestamp discontinuity
Warning: Skipping chunk 132 due to timestamp discontinuity
Warning: Skipping chunk 196 due to timestamp discontinuity
637466 audio stream bytes 0 video stream bytes

makinrain
11-18-2005, 01:00 AM

Any suggestions?

How did you get Directv tivo to record the audio program ?

I have been looking for a way to do this, but can't.

I have 6.2 hacked with tivoweb, tytools, mfs, etc. However when I try to record one of the xm music channels it won't let me.

Thx

tvtyme
11-24-2005, 11:05 PM
How did you get Directv tivo to record the audio program ?

I have been looking for a way to do this, but can't.

I have 6.2 hacked with tivoweb, tytools, mfs, etc. However when I try to record one of the xm music channels it won't let me.

Thx

Here's the tivoapp patch:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215884&postcount=38

Peace

copen
11-26-2005, 02:15 AM
Yes, but is there a patch for the HR10-250 (HD Tivo)? I would love to be able to record audio only.

iStormy
11-26-2005, 06:40 PM
so I disabled the timestamp discontinuity whatever stuff, and OH YEAH BABY!
Thanks for the patch. I couldn't figure out how to compile hdemux with Microsoft Visual Studio NET 2003 (and I hate Cygwin with a passion), but it went just fine in Linux, so I'll FTP my files back and forth until it's patched in the mainstream release.

tvtyme
11-26-2005, 07:49 PM
Yes, but is there a patch for the HR10-250 (HD Tivo)? I would love to be able to record audio only.

If you read the entire thread in my previous post, you'll see there's a patch for different Tivo SW versions.

Peace

bcc
11-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the patch. I couldn't figure out how to compile hdemux with Microsoft Visual Studio NET 2003 (and I hate Cygwin with a passion), but it went just fine in Linux, so I'll FTP my files back and forth until it's patched in the mainstream release.hdemux compiles in visual studio using nmake (using the Makefile.win makefile), per the instructions. Is nmake missing from the 2003 edition of visual studio?

makinrain
11-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Here's the tivoapp patch:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215884&postcount=38

Peace

Thanks, I ran the patches (echo commands) from the linux command line, got the 2+2 and 4+4 records added messages.

But still can't record audio (neither by pressing record on remote while listening or by recording from the guide).

Have you got this working ?

Thanks

Wolffpack
11-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks, I ran the patches (echo commands) from the linux command line, got the 2+2 and 4+4 records added messages.

But still can't record audio (neither by pressing record on remote while listening or by recording from the guide).

Thanks
I ran those same commands yesterday on my 6.2 system and they worked fine. I can record ad playback audio-only channels. Did you cut&paste the commands or did you pull the drive and put it in your PC? Did you get 1 2+2 message and 2 4+4 messages?

The problem I'm running into now is that even though the programs play fine on the tivo once I get the .ty file to my PC I can't do anything with them. TyTools aborts when trying to split or MUX the files. TyShow will not play the files. Still working on that one.

iStormy
11-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Is nmake missing from the 2003 edition of visual studio?

Nmake is not in 2003 .NET. I tried that before doing it in Linux.

bcc
11-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Nmake is not in 2003 .NET. I tried that before doing it in Linux.Still part of visual studio according to users on the net and microsoft's web page. In C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\bin by default. I'd build a new release that takes care of this issue automatically but I need a 3.1.5f tivoapp patch to test against first, and I don't see one.

idoco
11-28-2005, 04:14 PM
The problem I'm running into now is that even though the programs play fine on the tivo once I get the .ty file to my PC I can't do anything with them. TyTools aborts when trying to split or MUX the files. TyShow will not play the files. Still working on that one.

Small utility that allows ty audio only files to be converted to elementary audio stream/m2a.

Compile the attached files on your computer as an executable (I call mine TyES). After transferring the files from your TIVO run the command line:
TyES <input file> <output file>

The output file can then be split or converted to any other format with your favorite convertor (e.g. Audacity, etc.).

This is a quick and dirty program I wrote for my own use so:
No support is offered
Known to work with TY files from SW versions 3.1.1e and 6.2
Compiled and run on XP. Have not tried on Linux (although I don't see any
any reason it wouldn't work on Linux).
Minimal error checking
Minimal documentation within source
Feel free to modify and redistribute as you feel fit
No laughing at my coding (it's been awhile) :-)

Idoco

anddmx
11-28-2005, 04:29 PM
Just to throw my hat in the ring here, I followed WolffPack's instructions, and the XM Audio channels are recording nicely now. (I got the 1-2+2 message and the 2-4+4 messages, with the Tivo drive in my pc.)

I have not tried TyTool or TyShow yet, but I will be trying this in a few hours. I wanted to schedule the recording as opposed to manually kicking it off.

Thanks Wolffpack. I'll let you guys know if I have the same problems with TyTool and TyShow.

Wolffpack
11-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Small utility that allows ty audio only files to be converted to elementary audio stream/m2a.

Compile the attached files on your computer as an executable (I call mine TyES). After transferring the files from your TIVO run the command line:
TyES <input file> <output file>

The output file can then be split or converted to any other format with your favorite convertor (e.g. Audacity, etc.).

This is a quick and dirty program I wrote for my own use so:
No support is offered
Known to work with TY files from SW versions 3.1.1e and 6.2
Compiled and run on XP. Have not tried on Linux (although I don't see any
any reason it wouldn't work on Linux).
Minimal error checking
Minimal documentation within source
Feel free to modify and redistribute as you feel fit
No laughing at my coding (it's been awhile) :-)

Idoco
I don't suppose you could include an XP binary could you? I have no C compiler for XP.

anddmx
11-28-2005, 05:10 PM
I don't suppose you could include an XP binary could you? I have no C compiler for XP.

Oh! I would be interested in this as well. Please. :o

Jamie
11-28-2005, 05:58 PM
I don't suppose you could include an XP binary could you? I have no C compiler for XP.Microsoft distributes the Visual C++ optimizing compiler free: http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/. You don't get the full visual studio ide, but you do get a command line compiler and the necessary libraries.

Wolffpack
11-28-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks much Jamie. Great info!!!

Wolffpack
11-29-2005, 02:27 AM
Idoco,

I downloaded and installed the MS ++ compiler suggested by Jamie. Trying "cl main.c" it compiles but I get the following:

C:\Temp\newtivo\Audiosplit>cl main.c
Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 13.10.3077 for 80x86
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1984-2002. All rights reserved.

main.c
Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 7.10.3077
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

/out:main.exe
main.obj
main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _get_rid_of_ty_headers referenced in function _main
main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _checkargs referenced in function _main
main.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals
Can you give me any help?

anddmx
11-29-2005, 02:46 AM
Idoco,

I downloaded and installed the MS ++ compiler suggested by Jamie. Trying "cl main.c" it compiles but I get the following:

I had the same luck. :confused: :(

I wrote it off as not knowing C, but perhaps there is something more here.

idoco
11-29-2005, 11:46 AM
Idoco,

C:\Temp\newtivo\Audiosplit>cl main.c

main.c

main.obj
main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _get_rid_of_ty_headers referenced in function _main
main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _checkargs referenced in function _main
main.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals
Can you give me any help?

I use a different compiler. However, it looks like you only compiled one of the C files. You need to compile both source files and then link them.

CL [option...] file... [option | file]... [lib...] [@command-file] [/link link-opt...]

Idoco

Wolffpack
11-29-2005, 02:18 PM
I use a different compiler. However, it looks like you only compiled one of the C files. You need to compile both source files and then link them.

CL [option...] file... [option | file]... [lib...] [@command-file] [/link link-opt...]

Idoco
That did the trick. Needed: cl main.c functions.c. I get these warnings:

C:\Temp\newtivo\Audiosplit>cl main.c functions.c

main.c
functions.c
functions.c(104) : warning C4047: '=' : 'char' differs in levels of indirection
from 'char [2]'
functions.c(105) : warning C4047: '=' : 'char' differs in levels of indirection
from 'char [2]'
functions.c(106) : warning C4047: '=' : 'char' differs in levels of indirection
from 'char [2]'
functions.c(109) : warning C4047: '=' : 'char' differs in levels of indirection
from 'char [2]'
functions.c(113) : warning C4047: '=' : 'char' differs in levels of indirection
from 'char [2]'
functions.c(117) : warning C4047: '=' : 'char' differs in levels of indirection
from 'char [2]'
functions.c(121) : warning C4047: '=' : 'char' differs in levels of indirection
from 'char [2]'
functions.c(125) : warning C4047: '=' : 'char' differs in levels of indirection
from 'char [2]'
functions.c(127) : warning C4047: '=' : 'char' differs in levels of indirection
from 'char [1]'
functions.c(128) : warning C4047: '=' : 'char' differs in levels of indirection
from 'char [2]'
functions.c(129) : warning C4047: '=' : 'char' differs in levels of indirection
from 'char [2]'
Generating Code...

main.obj
functions.obj

The program runs. I load the file into Audacity and it says "Importing MP3 file". But when I play a two hour recording it plays in 1 second. Just a screech. I've tried three different files from the Tivo, one only being 12 minutes. No luck there either. I must be missing something here.

idoco
11-29-2005, 02:44 PM
Don't worry about the compiler warnings. It does not affect the program running. It is referring to an implicit variable declaration in the code.

A couple questions:
Was the audio only TY file extracted using TyTools or MFS-FTP? The program as written was for for TyTool extracted files. MFS-FTP has XML data that the program does not take into account.

How big was the original audio only TY file?

How big was the output file?

Can you play the output file on Windows Media player?

Idoco

Wolffpack
11-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Don't worry about the compiler warnings. It does not affect the program running. It is referring to an implicit variable declaration in the code.
That's what I figured.

A couple questions:
Was the audio only TY file extracted using TyTools or MFS-FTP? The program as written was for for TyTool extracted files. MFS-FTP has XML data that the program does not take into account.
TyTool. Although I also tried mfs_ftp copying from the .ty directory. Didn't seem to make any difference.

How big was the original audio only TY file?
I tried 3 files. 1=184,320KB, 2=186,368KB, 3=12,292KB

How big was the output file?
1=176,597KB, 2=178,547KB, 3=11,701KB

Can you play the output file on Windows Media player?
No. WMP comes up with "WMP cannot play the file....might not support the file type or might not support the codec...".

Idoco,

I know this is not something you are supporting and I don't want to be a pain. Anytime just tell me to bugger off.

anddmx
11-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Idoco,

I just wanted to let you know that I gave it a shot as well, and had the same results as Wolffpack. (Please don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at all, just providing feedback if you find it of value.)

Here was my approach...
1. Extract the ty file from the Tivo using TyTool9r18. (File size was big, 4 hours - 289.4Mb)

2. Ran the compiled tool against the .ty file, and ended up with a file of 276.6Mb.

3. Loaded the file into Audacity, and it said it was importing the mp3 file. (Audacity thinks the file is 1 minute 41 seconds in length)

4. Played the file, and it was all scratches, beeps and screeches.

5. For giggles, went ahead and saved the file as an mp3 anyways- encoding with Lame 3.96.1 - curious to see what the output looked like.

6. File ended up as 1.55mb mp3, and Winamp also thinks that it is 1 minute 41 seconds in length. WMP won't touch the file for the same reasons that Wolffpack mentions.

7. Grasping at straws a little bit, I compiled the source using Intel's 9.0 compiler, but got the same results as above.

I hope this is of some help to you. I appreciate all you have done so far, and please don't feel obligated to help more than you want.

Thanks idoco. :)

idoco
11-29-2005, 06:53 PM
I think I see the problem. The version I uploaded was an older version. (I was on my work computer when I uploaded the files and thought they were the same as on my home computer).

I've updated the files in my previous post. Go ahead and download the new files and compile/link.

Idoco

anddmx
11-30-2005, 12:31 AM
I didn't have much luck with the new copy and the MS Compiler. Here's the output I got.

C:\TyES>cl main.c functions.c

main.c
c:\TyES\main.h(2) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
functions.c
c:\TyES\main.h(2) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
Generating Code...

But, I did try it with the Intel Compiler, and it compiled correctly.

C:\TyES>icl main.c functions.c
Intel(R) C++ Compiler for 32-bit applications, Version 9.0 Build 20051020Z Package ID: W_CC_C_9.0.025
Copyright (C) 1985-2005 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

main.c
functions.c

-out:main.exe
main.obj
functions.obj

C:\TyES>

It's taking much longer to process, so I'm thinking that's a good sign. Will check the extracted integrity here in a minute.

Thanks again Idoco. Oh, and BTW, thanks for the Progress Bar. :p

anddmx
11-30-2005, 01:02 AM
Thanks Idoco, the new version seems to be running just GREAT!

4 hours of audio, and at first glance, it all came though nicely. A few noise artifacts in the audio stream, but other than that, just great.

Thanks a million!!! :D

idoco
11-30-2005, 02:02 PM
Glad you got it working. If you want, you can remove the reference to the Windows.h library from the source code. I added it in preparation for making a GUI interface to replace the command line interface, but never got around to finishing the GUI.

Idoco

copen
11-30-2005, 05:05 PM
If you read the entire thread in my previous post, you'll see there's a patch for different Tivo SW versions.

Peace

I don't see a path for 3.1.5f in there. Did I miss it?

Thanks.

Wolffpack
12-01-2005, 01:16 AM
Yes, mine is working also. Thanks Idoco!!!!

tvtyme
12-01-2005, 01:39 AM

Thanks

Did you reboot your Tivo after moving your patched tivoapp in place of the original tivoapp?

mattpatt
12-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Idoco,

Just wanted to let you know that I got the Free Microsoft Compiler to compile after removing the windows.h reference in main.h. The program works perfectly. Thanks for sharing it with us. Now all I need is a way to rip individual MP3s out of the one big audio file.

idoco
12-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Idoco,

Just wanted to let you know that I got the Free Microsoft Compiler to compile after removing the windows.h reference in main.h. The program works perfectly. Thanks for sharing it with us. Now all I need is a way to rip individual MP3s out of the one big audio file.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

tvtyme
12-03-2005, 03:18 AM
Great job, Idoco. TYes works like a charm! I was tired of piping the saved programs from the music channels through my PC sound card in order to put the songs on other media (MP3 player, CDs etc).

Here's the compiled Windows binary for anyone interested. I've only tested it on my XP Pro SP2 box (where I compiled it) and my Win2K SP4 box.

Peace

makinrain
12-03-2005, 07:37 PM
I ran those same commands yesterday on my 6.2 system and they worked fine. I can record ad playback audio-only channels. Did you cut&paste the commands or did you pull the drive and put it in your PC? Did you get 1 2+2 message and 2 4+4 messages?

Sorry for the delay, been gone for a few days.

I ran the echo commands from a telnet session and got the 2+2 and 4+4 messages.

I did not cut and paste and I did not pull the drive.

makinrain
12-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Did you reboot your Tivo after moving your patched tivoapp in place of the original tivoapp?

Yes rebooted, but nothing happened. I must of done something wrong.

HiDefHusker
05-23-2006, 11:40 AM
I've found that hdemux works somewhat better than TyES--less garbled audio. The problem with hdemux is skipped chunks due to timestamp discontinuity. I did a little debugging and found a fix for audio-only .ty files. This fix may not work for normal .ty files. I have attached my patch (the patch also fixes a minor issue when building with Visual Studio 2005). My patch should be applied against hdemux 0.13 as found in this post.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241815&postcount=106

I've also attached an executable version.

cali
08-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Excellent. This worked for me the first attempt.

modiphier
01-05-2007, 06:44 PM
sorry for such a newbie question but how do you use tyes program or even hdemux.

thanks

modiphier
01-05-2007, 07:12 PM
nevermind i figured it out i think.

I copied the hdemux.exe to my documents folder and in a command prompt typed

>hdemux -i music.ty -a music.m2a as I saw it in another thread and yes it is playing in winamp. The only thing so far that I have noticed was for some reason my record stopped on its own and I only ended up with about a 32mb music file.

I did download it with tytools in tystream mode. Now to play with the audacity app.

tem357
01-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Ok,
So after searching through too many different threads, here is what you need to do for audio extraction.

1) Use TivoWebPlus to initiate a manual recording of the music
2) Extract the file in ty format using tytools or mfs_ftp
3) Extract the audio from the ty file using hdemux (included with the latest and greatest tytools) using a command line similar to this:

hdemux -i yourfile.ty -a yourfile.mpa

notice i changed the extention of the audio file to mpa which is mpeg audio stream. This file you can play is most players including windows media player.

4) And just about anything will convert this to mp3. Just use google to search for mpa to mp3 or mpa converter. I personally use besweet, works great.

Butch
04-17-2007, 10:01 PM

Thanks

I know this works for 6.2 software but can I get confirmation on 6.3c HR10-250 software.
Thanks.

BrokerDon
04-30-2007, 01:47 PM
I know this works for 6.2 software but can I get confirmation on 6.3c HR10-250 software.
Thanks.

Let me know if you get this working on your HR10-250... I'd love to have this feature on my 500GB PTVnet HD + InstantCake 6.3 hacked HR10-250 :D