PDA

View Full Version : Tytool 9r18 slow to make key and VOB files?

pgethea
10-04-2005, 11:42 PM
Hi everyone,
thanks to this great board, I have figured out how to extract shows from my DTivo and burn them to DVD. All works well. I am a bit surprised though at how long some of the operations take. I understand it is normal for it to take about the length of the show to move the TY file from the Tivo to my PC, on a wireless link. But creating the Key file takes me about 20-25 minutes for a 2 hour show, is that normal? after I create my cut file and then do the "VOB-Mux File(s)", that too takes about a second per Mbyte. Am I maybe doing something wrong? I dont have the fastest PC, but it isnt a dog either, its a 2.4 GHz Celeron, a bit low on the RAM, only 384 MB.

Any ideas what might be wrong, if anything?

Thanks.

eastwind
10-05-2005, 04:58 AM
Hi everyone,
thanks to this great board, I have figured out how to extract shows from my DTivo and burn them to DVD. All works well. I am a bit surprised though at how long some of the operations take. I understand it is normal for it to take about the length of the show to move the TY file from the Tivo to my PC, on a wireless link. But creating the Key file takes me about 20-25 minutes for a 2 hour show, is that normal? after I create my cut file and then do the "VOB-Mux File(s)", that too takes about a second per Mbyte. Am I maybe doing something wrong? I dont have the fastest PC, but it isnt a dog either, its a 2.4 GHz Celeron, a bit low on the RAM, only 384 MB.

Any ideas what might be wrong, if anything?

Thanks.
Not enough RAM--especially if anything else is running at the same time (chewing up precious CPU cycles and hammering virtual memory).

ew

malfunct
10-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Not enough RAM--especially if anything else is running at the same time (chewing up precious CPU cycles and hammering virtual memory).

ew

I think disk speed is probably the biggest bottleneck. There is minimal processing done on the file, but these are HUGE files being copied around. If you are lucky enough to have 2 disks you can put the source material on one and set the destination on the other and this will buy you a bit of speed, even more if the disks are on separate IDE channels. Getting some more ram (if you are running winXP) will most likely speed the computer up in general. I reccomend at least 512mb for sp2 (pre sp2 needed less but noone should run without sp2 anymore if they connect to the internet with that pc).

pgethea
10-05-2005, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I will try reading and writing from/to different drives, and will eventually get more RAM too.

I appreciate the help.

malfunct
10-05-2005, 01:48 PM
BTW, your speeds don't seem that terribly slow, working with video just doesn't go fast at all.

captain_video
10-05-2005, 01:50 PM
You might consider defragging your hard drives and shutting down any processes running in the background. An occasional reboot never hurts either to clear out the old crap that's still resident in memory. If the drives are getting full (>80-90%) you will also experience a massive slowdown. Check for viruses or spyware that could also be bogging down your system.