PDA

View Full Version : New yahoo group for ty swapping

jmhenry5150
10-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Don't mean to spam, but I figured it would be best to take show swapping off these boards since it's frowned upon...

I have created a yahoo group for swapping ty files and other episodes...

***Well, I guess links aren't acceptable either...***

PM me for more information...

If anyone is interested, please take a visit and join up - I will be approving signups to keep the spammers out...

Thanks for looking!

jmhenry5150
10-05-2005, 12:29 PM
On a similar note...

Why is this frowned upon? Is it becuase these files are in a digital format?

I ask this in total ignorance - hope it's at least ok to discuss why...

Not meaning at ALL to try an go around the mods with this - I'm just curious...

Thanks in advance...

captain_video
10-05-2005, 01:46 PM
It's all copyrighted material that may not be distributed without the express written consent of the copyright holders. In other words, it's illegal. :eek:

jmhenry5150
10-05-2005, 01:49 PM
I thought mabye becuase it was in a digital form...

Isn't there such things as if it goes out over normal TV, than it's ok...

*Something* Domain???

Can't remember the phrase for it...

So then it's illegal to swap VHS as well?

desplaines
10-05-2005, 08:34 PM
"Public domain" is the term you were thinking of, but little if anything broadcast is not copyrighted. Basically, it is illegal to swap 'any' type of copyrighted programming if you recorded it from a broadcast. It may be less of a problem to give a recording away, but in a 'swap', you are receiving something of value in return so it is a no-no.

None of this stops plenty of program sharing on networks like Bittorrent or whatever, but a Yahoo Group is probably a little too 'public' to attempt sharing.

jmhenry5150
10-05-2005, 08:36 PM
That make sense - thanks!

"Public domain" is the term you were thinking of, but little if anything broadcast is not copyrighted. Basically, it is illegal to swap 'any' type of copyrighted programming if you recorded it from a broadcast. It may be less of a problem to give a recording away, but in a 'swap', you are receiving something of value in return so it is a no-no.

None of this stops plenty of program sharing on networks like Bittorrent or whatever, but a Yahoo Group is probably a little too 'public' to attempt sharing.