PDA

View Full Version : etivo: basic 'tivo to go' setup problem

sacrophyte
10-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Configuration does not accept "impersonation" password. Also, it is not clear to me why etivo needs this - the details I have found so far as less than satisfying.

Masnark
10-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Configuration does not accept "impersonation" password. Also, it is not clear to me why etivo needs this - the details I have found so far as less than satisfying.

Good question (haven't been asked this for 6 months, and suddenly twice in one day, once in email and once here).

EtiVo needs this only for TiVo To Go extraction. In order for EtiVo to be able to get to the MPG inside the .TiVo file, it needs to impersonate the user - run as if it's the user - otherwise the TiVo decoder will not work. Other ways of achieving this would be to run the service as the user (which has its own problems, plus, to automatically set up, EtiVo will need the info anyway) or to EtiVo not as a service (you can do that by running EtiVoSrv.exe -c).

As for the problems you are having. What OS are you running? Windows 2k by any chance?

sacrophyte
10-08-2005, 12:00 PM
WinXP actually. I suspect a firewall problem, but am not sure how that would be relevant for setting up password information. Is there a way to set up a higher level of logging (ie, debugging) in an xml config file? I am familiar with log4j for java, but not .net.

I also realize today that I have not met all the requirements. For instance, I do not have msftp on the tivo box - I have not got around to hacking in the linux shell, yet. I am thinking that should be my first step.

As an aside, I would think it would be rather easy to rip the MPG out of the .tivo file, but I have yet to find any simple converters. Am I missing something?

malfunct
10-08-2005, 01:25 PM
For using TivoToGo you do not need mfsftp.

malfunct
10-08-2005, 01:27 PM

A thought, the reason it may not accept the password is that you installed windows XP the default way and none of your users have a password. Make sure the account you are using for impersonation has a password or etivo probably will have trouble impersonating it (its a security thing, if there is no password on an account windowsXP doesn't let anyone log in as that account except through the normal interactive login methods).

sacrophyte
10-08-2005, 03:53 PM
I found the problem, but I do not have a quick way around it. My user is tied to a DOMAIN (work related), but I do not have a local login. I could create a local login, but all my software is registered under my current (DOMAIN) login. What do you suggest? I do not know Windows User administration all that well, but it seems like I should be able to create a local login with the same name as my DOMAIN login and tie them together somehow.

malfunct
10-08-2005, 09:00 PM
I found the problem, but I do not have a quick way around it. My user is tied to a DOMAIN (work related), but I do not have a local login. I could create a local login, but all my software is registered under my current (DOMAIN) login. What do you suggest? I do not know Windows User administration all that well, but it seems like I should be able to create a local login with the same name as my DOMAIN login and tie them together somehow.

You can't, but there is no reason you couldn't give etivo your domain account and password, or at least none that I know of. Does it give you any more detailed error than "won't accept impersonation password"

sacrophyte
10-08-2005, 11:31 PM
I set up a local user with access to Tivo Desktop (still installed under user with domain account). Have some weird problems, and I will try to detail them. First, Tivo Server does not start automatically for the new user - even though Tivo Beacon is running, I have to manually start Tivo Server. Secondly, when running eTivo under the domain user, I attempted to configure using the local login. I get an error stating that Tivo Desktop is not installed:
EtiVo.Service.EtiVoException: TiVo Desktop (r) is not installed on sac's user account.
at EtiVo.Service.TiVoToGoInfo.CopyTtgRegistryKeys(String userName)
at EtiVo.Service.UI.TiVoToGoInfoConfigForm.okayButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
However, since I had already started it under "sac" (the local user), I know something else is up. Exactly which registry key is looking for?

You wrote that I should be able to give my domain account. I tried, but the eTivo configuration does not seem to find the account (bad password). How does one specify the domain in the eTivo configuration?

malfunct
10-09-2005, 12:45 PM
You wrote that I should be able to give my domain account. I tried, but the eTivo configuration does not seem to find the account (bad password). How does one specify the domain in the eTivo configuration?

Specify the username as: domain\username

sacrophyte
10-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Still get bad password

sacrophyte
10-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Still seeing strange behavior. When I log in as the new (workstation) user, eTivo works great. Logging out and back in as the domain user, the first few operations work well (using login/password for workstation user), but than something gets jambed up. It is possible that when I change the configuration and resave it, something is overwritten and prohibits further use for the domain user. Ring any bells?

vinniet
10-20-2005, 07:21 PM
EtiVo needs this only for TiVo To Go extraction. In order for EtiVo to be able to get to the MPG inside the .TiVo file, it needs to impersonate the user - run as if it's the user - otherwise the TiVo decoder will not work. Other ways of achieving this would be to run the service as the user (which has its own problems, plus, to automatically set up, EtiVo will need the info anyway) or to EtiVo not as a service (you can do that by running EtiVoSrv.exe -c).

As for the problems you are having. What OS are you running? Windows 2k by any chance?

Ok I got the same problem and I am running W2K. I was having some encoding problems and this might be why. BTW I the user id I am putting in does have a password.

Here is the error:

EtiVo.Service.EtiVoException: Unable to log on vinnie
at EtiVo.Service.ImpersonateUser..ctor(String user, String password, Boolean loadProfile)
at EtiVo.Service.UI.TiVoToGoInfoConfigForm.okayButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

How can I get around this with W2K?

Thanks!

snakeyes
12-14-2005, 12:19 AM
i just setup a password for my user/admin account. rebooted, but still can not log into ETIVO config, here are the details:

any idea?

EtiVo.Service.EtiVoException: Unable to log on xxxx
at EtiVo.Service.ImpersonateUser..ctor(String user, String password, Boolean loadProfile)

thanks