PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to AUTOMATICLY download shows?

sabotage79
10-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Note to admin: I accidently posted this in the wrong category, so here is the correct posting.

Hi. I have some what of a slower wireless connection. I get about 600-700KB/s.

It takes about a half hour to download an hour show, so it would be really nice to come home, and have the shows already downloaded to my computer. Preferably just have the mpeg2 file.

I use a mac, is there any way to do automatic/scheduled downloads of shows once they are over? Even maybe a way to do this through ftp, then maybe I could schedule the ftp transfer, and then convert the ty files would be better than waiting for the shows to transfer.

Im currently using TivoTool for the mac. This ability might be added in the future, so I read.

Thanks!
Ryan

ps If you know of a way on a windows box, I COULD use Virtual PC, but i'd much rather have a native mac application. But anything would be better than manual downloading.

Masnark
10-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Note to admin: I accidently posted this in the wrong category, so here is the correct posting.

Hi. I have some what of a slower wireless connection. I get about 600-700KB/s.

It takes about a half hour to download an hour show, so it would be really nice to come home, and have the shows already downloaded to my computer. Preferably just have the mpeg2 file.

I use a mac, is there any way to do automatic/scheduled downloads of shows once they are over? Even maybe a way to do this through ftp, then maybe I could schedule the ftp transfer, and then convert the ty files would be better than waiting for the shows to transfer.

Im currently using TivoTool for the mac. This ability might be added in the future, so I read.

Thanks!
Ryan

ps If you know of a way on a windows box, I COULD use Virtual PC, but i'd much rather have a native mac application. But anything would be better than manual downloading.

You could use EtiVo in the mode where it does not actually re-encode shows. You would have to run that on a Virtual PC, but since there's very little CPU actilvity in that mode, that shouldnt be a problem for you.

JohnSorTivo
10-07-2005, 12:19 PM
I use a mac, is there any way to do automatic/scheduled downloads of shows once they are over? Even maybe a way to do this through ftp, then maybe I could schedule the ftp transfer, and then convert the ty files would be better than waiting for the shows to transfer.Though it runs on a PC only, TyExtract does exactly what you are looking for. It is a simple command line batch extraction utility.

TyExtract (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34932)

sabotage79
10-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Wow great! I'm reading the thread now! Too bad there isn't a mac compatible version - but better than doing it manually with Tivotool - i'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again for the info!

Ryan

sabotage79
10-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Tyextract is working great - but not sure what to do next. Im used to using Tivotool for the mac, which converts the file to an mpeg.

Won't it take awhile to convert the ty file to mpeg, possibly defeating the purpose of saving time manually using tivotool, which seems to use vserver to convert to mpeg on the fly - not totally sure how it converts ty to mpeg.

Any suggestions what to do after I have the ty file?

Thanks again.

eastwind
10-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Tyextract is working great - but not sure what to do next. Im used to using Tivotool for the mac, which converts the file to an mpeg.

Won't it take awhile to convert the ty file to mpeg, possibly defeating the purpose of saving time manually using tivotool, which seems to use vserver to convert to mpeg on the fly - not totally sure how it converts ty to mpeg.

Any suggestions what to do after I have the ty file?

Thanks again.
Don't know about Tivotool, but TyTool doesn't take very long to convert to mpeg because it's only stripping away the TiVo specific wrapper that's around the mpeg data stream. Tivotool probably works the same way.

ew

sabotage79
10-07-2005, 03:18 PM
I tried tytool, but it takes a very long time in Virtual PC.

Is there a version to do this on the Mac? is it called vsplit?