PDA

View Full Version : Back Up Tivo through Telnet or/and ftp possible?

Figure Head
10-12-2005, 10:24 AM
As you can tell I do not know squat about Linux. But is it possible to: ftp my .bak file from my PC into my Tivo. Then Telnet and restore remotely? If so can I make periodical backups of my Tivo (no recordings) and move them over to my PC?

Also has anyone had trouble with their Tivo rebooting by itself if you go through guide to fast or if you change channels to fast?

captain_video
10-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Nope. You'll have to pull the drive and install it in a PC for performing a backup or restore. It's not all that hard. Do a google search for Hinsdale's How To for info. There have been reports of rebooting problems but you'll have to look through the forums for posts on that topic. Reboot issues are usually related to either a hardware or software problem so you'll have to do some troubleshooting to determine the cause. Suggest you try a search using various keywords to find them.

eastwind
10-12-2005, 11:12 AM
There was a project undertaken that used mfs_backup and piped the output to netcat to make backups from the TiVo while it was live. I don't believe the restore was possible, though, and the backups took a long time (10-24 hrs). IIRC, it was ronnythunder that was experimenting.

ew

Figure Head
10-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Thanx guys I was afraid of that. If you knew my entertainment setup you would ask as well.

Any Ideas why my hr10 250 reboots itself if you go throuth the guide or channels to fast? again I am asking before I have to tear into my Entertainment setup to pull the drive and restore.

Figure Head
10-12-2005, 11:38 AM
There have been reports of rebooting problems but you'll have to look through the forums for posts on that topic. Reboot issues are usually related to either a hardware or software problem so you'll have to do some troubleshooting to determine the cause. Suggest you try a search using various keywords to find them.

I am in the process of this if I find out anything I will keep ya'll updated.

PlainBill
10-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Interesting question, and it depends on what you mean by a backup. If you aren't interested in the recordings, it becomes doable.

Look at the contents of a TiVo drive:

Software
Hacks to software
/var
recordings
Season passes, wish lists, thumbs, other settings

It isn't necessary to make a backup of the software, but it would be easy to duplicate it on the alternate partition set.

I have (almost) everything to recreate my hacks at several different points, but the actual working version is usually slightly different. A simple script could readily capture all important hacks (including itself - for when you add something).

/var can be wiped at a moments notice. Don't put hacks there, and you don't care if it gets wiped.

You already said you don't want recordings; that eliminates 99% of the space.

Settings, including thumbs, season passes, etc. IIRC, TiVoWeb (TiVoWeb Plus) has a module to back these up.

PlainBill

skydogj
10-14-2005, 01:00 AM
Thanx guys I was afraid of that. If you knew my entertainment setup you would ask as well.

Any Ideas why my hr10 250 reboots itself if you go throuth the guide or channels to fast? again I am asking before I have to tear into my Entertainment setup to pull the drive and restore.

Heat??
what is the internal temp on your unit?

Figure Head
10-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Sorry so long to reply. I have not had time to play with this hobby.

I am running currently 42C / 107.6F.

I am thinking I did somrthing wrong with the OTA Local patch. Because know if I turn to those channels it rebootes as well.