PDA

View Full Version : Help with getting a video clip out of a ty file

chisox
10-12-2005, 12:09 PM
I could really use some guidance guys. I'm getting really frustred trying to pull a small 30 second video clip out of show. Here's the background:

I've had my S2 DTV networked for over a year. I have no problems getting .ty files off of the tivo and on to my PC. I can view the fully extracted .ty files on the PC with no problems.

But I want to be able to get small clips from the files and even remove commercials if necessary. I'm never going to burn these files to DVD, only watch on my PC. I've tried tystudio, but I get the 49% error when indexing. I've search on that and may have some things to go on, but I'm trying to get this working in tytool....

I've figured out how to make a key file in tytool, and can even cut a file in the GOP editor. But how do I convert my cut file back to a .ty format or even mpeg? Or am I way off with what I'm trying to do?

Please help. I've searched and searched and spent hours wading through useless (to me at least) information. A push in the right direction is probably all I need, not hand holding.

thanks in advance!

captain_video
10-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Have you read the documentation supplied with TyTools? I'm guessing not because they probably tell you how to do what you're asking. Try this approach:

1. Extract with TyTools in tystream mode.
2. Create key files.
3. Edit out unwanted segments with GOP Editor and save cut files.
4. Multiplex file with cuts to create edited mpeg (i.e., just select multiplex option and it will automatically import the cut list). You can't convert back to ty format in TyTools.
5. Open up your favorite compatible codec and watch the mpeg on your PC.

chisox
10-12-2005, 01:34 PM
I just figured it out. TyTool will automatically include the saved cut file when you mux the .ty file.

chisox
10-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Ooops. You must have posted right before me. Thanks for the reponse. I read the documentation but the part about automatically including the cut file threw me off.