PDA

View Full Version : Nero burn problem - easy for expert

jehancoc
10-13-2005, 12:02 PM
I was able to extract and create a set of vob directories that play with windvd. If I burn them with Nero ultra, the PC will play the DVD with windvd but both my consumer DVD players have a problem. The audio seems to be in sync but it plays fast, like Alvin the chipmunk. I've tried creating the DVD with nero video template and also the UDF/ISO template with slightly different results. The UDF template will not play in one player but the other plays it, again with the fast audio.

Any ideas? I'm runing out of DVD's...

eastwind
10-13-2005, 12:22 PM
Sounds like you're using a SA TiVo. Maybe try a search in the Extraction Forum for 'chipmunk' ????

ew

captain_video
10-13-2005, 02:26 PM
Better yet, learn how to set up TyTools properly. Look here for the answer:

http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloads/tivo/extraction_articles/tivo_dvd.html

jehancoc
10-14-2005, 05:46 PM
I was able to get the audio working correctly, thanks for the help. I was still seeing a squeezed screen on two playrers. If I take the VOB file and run it through Intervideo Windvd creator then all is well on one player but not another.

I am extracting from an early series 1 player. I read the posts about the 352x480 vs 480x480 fixes but then I see where others say that the fix isn't necessary though it looks like it is.

Any last pointers? All the MPG's and VOB's play fine on the computer using windvd and mplayer2, etc. I might just quit while ahead and not worry about compatiblity with all my players as long as one works.

Any quick fixes to the aspect ratio? Thanks again for the quick responses.

captain_video
10-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Buy a newer DVD player. If your DVD player shows a squeezed image (i.e. sqare instead of rectangular) then it isn't capable of playing SVCDs (480x480 resolution which is, ironically, the same as a DTivo). There is no other fix that I'm aware of for this issue. The good news is that compatible DVD players are aplenty and available for cheap prices (<$100). Take one of your tyDVDs to the nearest Circuit City or other electronics retailer that has working DVD players connected to a TV so you can try them out. Forget about Best Buy because they don't have anything set up so you can actually test anything.

Shaun
10-15-2005, 12:04 AM
...There is no other fix that I'm aware of for this issue.
Well, actually you could use Nero Express to transcode the vob to a "standard" dvd format (i.e. 720x480).
The plus: It will play in virtually anything and you can use Nero to make nice menus.
The minuses: It takes a long time. Nero Express crashes as often as it works. The file size for the show gets bloated. Video quality takes a hit.

My experience has been that this is more trouble than it is worth. However, on a few occasions it has been necessary in order to make dvd's for a couple of people I know.

jehancoc
10-15-2005, 01:58 PM
I downloaded a file and used windvd creator to build the dvd files. It takes a while, about 75% of the show to build, but they look good on my players. I then used Nero to write the DVD. By the way, TYstudio seems to copy the
TY file off my tivo about 10X faster than tytools for some reason.

It seems like there should be a faster way to get a compatible DVD. I have two players, an old pioneer 7" portable and a cheap magnavox for the kids after they destroyed my expensive sony. I've been looking at some of the new progressive scan players that are sub $200, so if someone could make a recomendation as the most compatible for the fastest extract to burn time, I would go get one.

thanks, I am getting closer all the time.

captain_video
10-15-2005, 08:59 PM
I don't consider transcoding an option (for me, at least) as it will degrade the image quality. I always felt the the primary reason for extracting from a DTivo was to maintain the highest quality image possible. Transcoding takes you away from this game plan, not to mention that it takes friggin' forever to do.

I had a Sony DVP-NS715P that worked quite well with my TyDVDs recorded on either DVD-R or -RW discs (it didn't like the "+" format at all). You can probably find one on ebay for less than $100 or even the newer 725 for a cheap price. Most current model DVD players will work fine with tyDVDs if they're compatible with SVCDs. There's a sticky thread for compatible DVD players at the top of this forum.

jehancoc
10-15-2005, 09:12 PM
thanks, so what process do you use? TYtools made coasters for me. If I play them on the computer they are fine but as mentioned abobe, I get an aspect ratio problem on my dvd players. I use tytools to do the extract and make the vob. This goes fast but I then have to import it into windvd creator to build the video_ts that I burn with nero. That takes about 45 minutes per hour of video.

I am thinking about just stoping at the vob. The vob can be data copied to a dvd and it takes less room. I can fit about 2.5 hours in that format.

laserfan
10-15-2005, 11:23 PM
I was able to get the audio working correctly, thanks for the help...I don't see what you did to fix the audio?

When I saw your "chipmunk" post I remembered I had the same problem (long ago). IIRC the issue was that the Series 1 records at 32000Hz. If you are able make a DVD with that audio (without conversion, hard to do cuz most DVD authoring programs won't let you) some players will play it, but it comes-out speeded-up as you noted. My theory was/is that the player's expecting DVD-spec 48000Hz sampled audio, hence it was played "too fast".

In any case TyTool has a feature to fix the audio...

laserfan
10-15-2005, 11:27 PM
...TYtools made coasters for me...You meant to say that Nero made coasters of the TyTool output? TyTool does not burn.

You should be able to make a DVD-spec compliant VIDEO_TS titleset using TyTool, not just a vob. This VIDEO_TS folder can be burned to DVD by Nero or any DVD writing software. Are you not using TyTool's DVD authoring feature correctly?

jehancoc
10-16-2005, 12:38 AM
1) I killed the chipmunks by selecting the correct audio #5
2) You are right - nero was making coasters when using the video_ts output from tytools. If I use the VOB output from tytools and do the authoring using windvd creator, then they play on one player and look good. there might be a slight, very slight lipsync problem but I could be imagining it.
3) I am still looking for the most expeditious way to create DVD's. I wish I could get nero to burn the output from tytools without giving me the aspect ratio problem. It looks square on the player. If I zoom it on the player, then it fills the left half of the screen instead of zooming the picture. Transcoding the video using windvd creator so far is the best.
4) As I mentioned, I might just back the vob's up as data and play them from a data dvd since they take up less space.

I've been reading through the sticky posts but the threads wander off topic and I've yet to find a sequence that works well for me, or at least, my old dvd players. Again, the DVD players in both my laptop and other towers work great. I was hoping all this would be easier. A lot of work has been done by some real talented people!

eastwind
10-16-2005, 11:39 AM
3) I am still looking for the most expeditious way to create DVD's. I wish I could get nero to burn the output from tytools without giving me the aspect ratio problem. It looks square on the player. If I zoom it on the player, then it fills the left half of the screen instead of zooming the picture. Transcoding the video using windvd creator so far is the best.
4) As I mentioned, I might just back the vob's up as data and play them from a data dvd since they take up less space.
It's the players, not the tools. If you want to record in a DVD-compliant resolution, change the settings on your SA TiVo to 720x480 or 352x480. If you just want to watch what you've got, buy a new DVD player.

ew

jehancoc
10-16-2005, 04:11 PM
I went to my tivo and tried setting the resolution and bitrate settings as described in another thread thinking that I can get tivo to do the capture in a more standard format. I can get either 544x480 or 480x480 but can't seem to get 762x480. Do you know if the early SA1 tivos can do the 762x480 format? I am beginning to understand the problem now. I plan to get over to bestbuy and purchase a new player with more formats but wanted to explore the bitrate settings first.

jehancoc
10-16-2005, 04:12 PM
that's 720x480

eastwind
10-16-2005, 04:18 PM
.....never mind.....fixed in the next post.
ew

jehancoc
10-17-2005, 11:23 AM
just to close this out: First, thanks for all the pointers. I can now record in 720x480 and burn without encoding to DVD. Still can't play them on one player though I think it is a +r vs -r problem. Also noticed that the menu hangs if I don't select the one item on the dvd but I can live with this. So the process is to create the vob with tytools and then use ulead or windvd creator to make the menu system and either ulead or nero to burn the dvd from disk. It goes pretty fast since I am now recording at 720x480 and all the square pixel related resolution and format problems are gone.

Now I just have to find something on TV worth saving...

captain_video
10-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Check this link for a discussion on changing the resolution of your SA S1 Tivo:

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12736&highlight=544x480

You will need to have TivoWeb (or TivoWebPlus) installed so you can access MFS and make the changes.

laserfan
10-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Regarding your Nero burning problem, if you are trying to use Nero to make a "DVD Video", try instead (actually the correct way to do this) is IIRC to select the LAST item on Nero's DVD sidebar, says UDF or something (sorry I don't use Nero anymore) and burn that way, dragging the VIDEO_TS folder into Nero. What you're doing is making a compliant Data disc, w/o Nero mucking w/any of your (TyTool's) careful formatting. You should prolly add an empty AUDIO_TS folder while you're at it.

And regarding resolution, another one that is DVD compliant is 352x480. With this you can get a smoother picture than 720x480 because you have more bitrate to apply to a smaller frame size. This is Tivo's resolution 1. I actually prefer this over full D1 720x480 as I am able to see some artifacts of the bitrate not keeping-up acceptably. The downside of 1/2 D1 352x480 is that it doesn't look very good blown-up on HD monitors. It was great though on my old SD set, a 41" CRT RPTV.

jehancoc
10-17-2005, 08:43 PM
I will try the resolution #1 and set that to my medium. I am using the 480x480 and 584?x480 with a new player I bought, a cyberhome 300. best Buy had it for $25. I can't believe they are making money at that price. It has 3:2 pulldown, and component video outs plus it seems to play everything I can burn. Actually looks better than my $500 sony players and my $1k old pioneer portable. Go figure.

captain_video
10-18-2005, 08:25 AM
Regarding your Nero burning problem, if you are trying to use Nero to make a "DVD Video", try instead (actually the correct way to do this) is IIRC to select the LAST item on Nero's DVD sidebar, says UDF or something (sorry I don't use Nero anymore) and burn that way, dragging the VIDEO_TS folder into Nero. What you're doing is making a compliant Data disc, w/o Nero mucking w/any of your (TyTool's) careful formatting. You should prolly add an empty AUDIO_TS folder while you're at it.
This was an early workaround for older versions of Nero (before 6.x) and no longer applies to the latest versions of 6.x (I haven't tried version 7 yet). The correct way to create a DVD is to select DVD Video and just add the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder to the compilation. There is already a blank AUDIO_TS folder included by Nero.