PDA

View Full Version : Just want to put one 4kb scrpt file on my TIVO and can't...

cabren
10-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Greetings!

I am very new to hacking my TIVO series 2 (TCD540080) unit and am having 1 issue -- I simply want to place a 4kb script on the tivo and launch it and I won't ever need to hack this box again. I'm great with PC and MAC, but Linux is pretty alien to me. I am seriously cross-eyed from looking all over the net for the right answers to a seemingly simple task. I simply need to get a 4kb script and execute it on my TIVO so that I can get Coolsat 4000 pro FTA receiver recognized by the TIVO. My wife loves TIVO and I can't get the FTA in our family room without keeping her happy. I used the outdated SLEEPER to clone to a 160gb disk and that was successful, but as soon as I apply the hacks, I get a "Welcome, TIVO LOADING..." and then an eternal white screen when I put the disk back in the TIVO. I really don't want any of the hacks, I just want this COOLSAT.TCL script on the TIVO unit and working, and the successfully cloned, unhacked 160gb hard drive is sitting the in PC I am operating on it with -- what is the easiest way to do this? I really don't care to alter anything else in the system. Do I really have to go through the whole FTP and TELNET tampering ordeal? This simple remote control record script is the only thing I want to execute and I am having a heck of a time finding any documentation to clearly walk me through this LINUX "direct copy & execute" procedure. It is also greatly hampering the process that I know very few LINUX commands or I'd be done by now. With the Sleeper boot CD, I thought I successfully created a var/hack directory on hdc9 and tried to do a direct copy after mounting the diskette drive. But I can't seem to mount the TIVO clone drive properly. It wrote something, but the directory can't be opened. The HD is being detected at the proper size and still boots fine to the TIVO. I hate to bother people with this, but could anyone provide me the command lines to do this direct copy and execute?

I am going cross-eyed on this and I know this has to be fairly simple. :(

Thank you in advance!:) :)

ronnythunder
10-16-2005, 10:44 PM
in short: you can't. this model cannot be altered in any way (except to upgrade the drive or add a second drive) without a prom hack (fairly involved hardware modification.

did you try searching on your model number?

ronny

cabren
10-16-2005, 11:12 PM
Oh no, you’ve got to be kidding me. I have been working on this whole FTA setup for the past 2 weeks… my wife is about to kill me and I want this darn thing finished as badly as she does. But at the same time if she doesn’t get her TIVO, I don’t get the satellite in the family room. This is a real drag. I’ve already got the unit upgraded to a 160gb drive, and that did work. There has to be a way to run this darn script on the TIVO drive. You mean I cannot run this simple 4kb script to alter the PRIMESTAR satellite records to add the Coolsat? All the other Tivo units can… but I can’t. I don’t want or care to hack anything else – I simply want my wife’s TIVO to work with this receiver. What a nightmare. Nice week I’ve had with this mess... argh, so darn close. There just has to be a reasonable method... Someone have a heart and help me out with this please?:( :( :(

fixn278
10-16-2005, 11:25 PM
Still no .

jasch
10-17-2005, 09:35 AM
The new TiVo's (also known as 2.5 because of their security measures, smaller motherboard and cheaper parts) need a new prom on the motherboard that circunvents these measures. The TCD5400, the DTivo R10 and the TiVo's with DVD/DVD burners require the prom.

All other TiVo's are fair game. I am sure you can pick up an older TiVo on ebay (the gray ones, TCD24xx) for less than $100, and you should be able to hack it easily.

I myself have a TCD54xx and a R10 personally, both which had their eprom replaced and were hacked using conventional means.

You should have researched a little more before...

cabren
10-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Okay,
Now that I’ve distanced myself from this for about 20hrs and uncrossed my eyes, I’ve had a chance to reflect and read some of these replies. To be frank, some of this is pretty disconcerting and I’ve heard some good things about this site which surprises me. To be vague, I’m a fairly server versed tech, I work for LANgrafix.com – we built custom servers called RIPs to make it short. This is not a boast, this is just to fan out any nods that I am simply some ***** that is dabbling in “computer stuff”. I am new to messing with a TIVO, this is quite true, but spend most of my days surrounded by Intel, DEC Alpha, and Mips RISC boards coming in for server repair eval…. just to name a few. Go to the site if you want more info, but I want to move on with just some understanding of my background. Also, I want to make clear that I am not trying to “HACK” my TIVO (TCD540080) like in the traditional sense of adding FTP, Telnet, Video Extraction File Sharing, etc, services to a TIVO box that has security that refuses to cooperate. I simply need to get a 4kb script on the unit drive and execute it so that it “replaces” the PRIMESTAR IR settings with a frequency that the Coolsat receiver understands. Before anyone goes off on a tangent again about how it can’t be done or I have to change out the e-prom, note that I am physically able to compress and backup the TIVO data files from the original 80gb drive once installed into a PC to a file image no lager than 1.2gb with a user friendly version of the old SLEEPER CD I picked off a Dutch site and re-image them to a much larger (160gb) hard disk making full use of the drive. I have had this 160gb HD running in the TIVO unit smoothly for the past 3 days, its done updates successfully and still shows a variable of 142hrs of recording time. So… if this legacy LINUX boot cd can extract the operating files from a working TIVO HD, compress them to a FAT-32 C: partition at 1.2gb, and re-image the files and format the entire 180gb new hard disk to full disk capasity, and have the TIVO LINUX security not detect that any change actually took place, then getting a darn 4kb file to this disk replacing another same size receiver remote dat file is totally possible. Think about it. Isn’t it ridiculous to insist, and assume, that I would have to perform a warranty-breaking e-prom removal and replacement simply to replace a tiny script that the TIVO HACKER SECURITY will not detect? SLEEPER altered the KERNEL for crying out loud, and the unit is perfectly operating. I couldn’t apply any of the hacks, nor do I really want to – I just want to get this file executed on the drive. I don’t, nor ever care to, add hacked additional services to my TIVO – I just need a darn remote code replaced. I already have that script. If I can just boot to a LINUX cd or diskette that will mount the TIVO hd as the sleeper automated program successfully did, I could get the file to the partition and execute it…. Right? I simply need a more up to date LINUX boot cd that will mount the TIVO drive once installed on an the second IDE channel of an open PC from a command prompt successfully allowing read write access to the TIVO drive… or a way to alter the compressed backup file on the FAT32 backup partition before creating the 160mb clone drive.

Look, you guys can take this how you want, I know I’m coming off irritated, but I know I’m right about this and some of the advice is dangerously the wrong direction and the others are just being condescending. I want to replace a file that already exists – TIVO LINUX SECURITY won’t know a darn thing changed. So, how can I tap this drive? Can anyone help on this? Newer LINUX boot ISO that will mount a TCD540080 HD? Copy and execute script command sequence? What portion of the partition do I need to mount? There have to be some LINUX Gurus on this site somewhere.

Here is what SLEEPER successfully reads before the backup sequence:

root=/dev/hda7

INFO : Tivo boot partition is: 6
INFO : Tivo root (/) partition is: 7

Come on... Anyone???:mad:

jasch
10-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Chill man. You should not be venting agains us, but against Tivo. This is the sad truth. Without doing an eprom switch, you will not be able to change any files on the tivo whatsoever. The only thing you are able to do is put a larger drive (since the files are not changed at all).

Here's the technical answer as to why you are not able to "hack" your TiVo (after all 'hacking' is anything that involves modifying the original unit, even if it's only for adding a "remote code").

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192565&postcount=24

jasch
10-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Basically, there's a signature database that contains SHA-1 hashes of almost all files of the TiVo OS. If you even change 1 bit on one of those files, the SHA-1 checksum fails, and the system fails to load.

Like I said you have three options:

1) Sell your unit, and purchase an "older" one (the dark S2 series).
2) Do the hardware modification
3) Blame and curse TiVo.

All this info has been available for months on this forum. If you would have taken 5 minutes to investigate prior to purchasing your equipment, you would not be in this predicament.

Please don't come now blaming us. We do try to help most people that come through here, but they must be willing to help themselves and accept they made a mistake.

jasch
10-17-2005, 08:58 PM
4) Contact TiVo customer support, tell them there are not IR codes for your unit. Perhaps they will fix it sometime in the future.

JJBliss
10-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Okay,
Now that I’ve distanced myself from this for about 20hrs and uncrossed my eyes, I’ve had a chance to reflect and read some of these replies. To be f Once someone gives your therank, some of this is pretty disconcerting and I’ve heard some good things about this site which surprises me. To be vague, I’m a fairly server versed tech, I work for LANgrafix.com – we built custom servers called RIPs to make it short.
This is ALWAYS a bad sign. Once someone gives you thier "qualifications", it's all downhill. Where your paycheck comes from is in no way indicative of your ability to grasp ideas and concepts that are foreign, without being spoonfed.

This is not a boast, this is just to fan out any nods that I am simply some ***** that is dabbling in “computer stuff”. I am new to messing with a TIVO, this is quite true, but spend most of my days surrounded by Intel, DEC Alpha, and Mips RISC boards coming in for server repair eval…. just to name a few. Go to the site if you want more info, but I want to move on with just some understanding of my background.
Interesting.

Also, I want to make clear that I am not trying to “HACK” my TIVO (TCD540080) like in the traditional sense of adding FTP, Telnet, Video Extraction File Sharing, etc, services to a TIVO box that has security that refuses to cooperate. I simply need to get a 4kb script on the unit drive and execute it so that it “replaces” the PRIMESTAR IR settings with a frequency that the Coolsat receiver understands.
OHHHH... So you're stealing satellite services? I think you may have found the wrong forum. You spent more time typing out your resume, then reading. Bad.

Before anyone goes off on a tangent again about how it can’t be done or I have to change out the e-prom, note that I am physically able to compress and backup the TIVO data files from the original 80gb drive once installed into a PC to a file image no lager than 1.2gb with a user friendly version of the old SLEEPER CD I picked off a Dutch site and re-image them to a much larger (160gb) hard disk making full use of the drive.
So?

So… if this legacy LINUX boot cd can extract the operating files from a working TIVO HD, compress them to a FAT-32 C: partition at 1.2gb, and re-image the files and format the entire 180gb new hard disk to full disk capasity, and have the TIVO LINUX security not detect that any change actually took place, then getting a darn 4kb file to this disk replacing another same size receiver remote dat file is totally possible.
No, it's not.

Think about it. Isn’t it ridiculous to insist, and assume, that I would have to perform a warranty-breaking e-prom removal and replacement simply to replace a tiny script that the TIVO HACKER SECURITY will not detect?
Your funny. Wrong, but funny. Once again I suggest you read more and hypothesize less. (BTW: What the hell is TIVO HACKER SECURITY)

SLEEPER altered the KERNEL for crying out loud, and the unit is perfectly operating.
Er, nope.

I couldn’t apply any of the hacks
Right.

I just want to get this file executed on the drive. I don’t, nor ever care to, add hacked additional services to my TIVO
Good thing, 'cause you can't

If I can just boot to a LINUX cd or diskette that will mount the TIVO hd as the sleeper automated program successfully did, I could get the file to the partition and execute it…. Right?
Nope.

I simply need a more up to date LINUX boot cd that will mount the TIVO drive once installed on an the second IDE channel of an open PC from a command prompt successfully allowing read write access to the TIVO drive…
Simply.... :rolleyes:

or a way to alter the compressed backup file on the FAT32 backup partition before creating the 160mb clone drive.
Nope.

Look, you guys can take this how you want, I know I’m coming off irritated, but I know I’m right about this
Nope.

and some of the advice is dangerously the wrong direction
Nope

and the others are just being condescending.
and with just cause. You don't understand. You have been told you're wrong. You can choose to beleive the ones who know the answers and have taken the time to give them to you for free, or not.

I want to replace a file that already exists – TIVO LINUX SECURITY won’t know a darn thing changed.
As usual, in this post, wrong.

So, how can I tap this drive?
Replace the PROM.

Can anyone help on this?
Many folks. Search for the thread that offers PROm socketing services

Newer LINUX boot ISO that will mount a TCD540080 HD?
Try PTVUPGRADE.COM, but that won't help you, since you'll need to replace the PROM

Copy and execute script command sequence?
Nope

What portion of the partition do I need to mount?
/dev/hda4 or /dev/hda7, depending on your boot partition. However, this won't matter till you replace the PROM

There have to be some LINUX Gurus on this site somewhere.
Bad form brother. You have found a site brimming with Linux folks, and yet you still will not listen. Shame really.

:mad:
Oh yeah.. That'll get a response faster

MOVED TO NEWBIE

Jamie
10-17-2005, 09:03 PM
Relevant references:
See (A14) here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37756)
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=218323
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=231285
You are right, it may be technically possible to do this all on the PC side. The last post in the 3rd thread above is about as much free-to-air help as you can expect here. Perhaps too much.

jasch
10-17-2005, 09:12 PM
note that I am physically able to compress and backup the TIVO data files from the original 80gb drive once installed into a PC to a file image no lager than 1.2gb with a user friendly version of the old SLEEPER CD I picked off a Dutch site and re-image them to a much larger (160gb) hard disk making full use of the drive.

It works because you are not altering any of the files. They are the exact same files, just on a bigger hard drive with more empty space. They have the same SHA-1 signature, so the TiVo works normally.

chrised
10-17-2005, 09:22 PM
Cabren,

You really should back off with the attitude. It takes time and patience to truly understand your Tivo. Arrogance will get you nowhere.

What exactly does this coolsat.tcl file do? A quick search came up empty.

If it strictly modifes MFS entries and nothing else, I do have an idea.

Find someone with a true series 2 SA tivo and borrow it. backup your kernel, Killinitrd your kernel, setup bash, boot your drive in their tivo, and run your script. Put the original kernel back in, and reinstall your drive into your tivo.

Good luck, and hopefully this thread doesn't get thrown to the sewer.. I'm surprised they didn't already.

Jamie
10-17-2005, 09:36 PM
What exactly does this coolsat.tcl file do? A quick search came up empty.Coolsat (http://www.coolsat.net) is one of several "free to air" satellite receivers. These are generally used with illegal software/firmware to receive satellite service without paying for it. Presumably coolsat.tcl adds ir codes to MFS for the coolsat receiver so the tivo can change channels on it via the ir blaster. The policy on DDB has been to not support people stealing service via FTA receivers.

cheer
10-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Nobody cares about your qualifications. And keep in mind, there are plenty of people here whose qualifications dust yours...and ALL had to do extensive reading and learning to get their Tivos hacked.

Your PC experience is helpful in a limited sense. Your server experience is probably not helpful at all.

Being a Linux "guru" might help more, but even then it's just a starting point.

You've been given your answer. Repeatedly. Yelling won't change it. Diatribes won't change it. Insults won't change it. Whining won't change it.

Accept it, or move the **** on.

jasch
10-17-2005, 09:44 PM
I doubt we will hear from him again. He's probably just hating us, DDB and Tivo.

JJBliss
10-17-2005, 10:50 PM
I doubt we will hear from him again. He's probably just hating us, DDB and Tivo.
Because it's our fault, of course
:rolleyes:

eastwind
10-18-2005, 03:28 AM
To be vague, I’m a fairly server versed tech, I work for LANgrafix.com – we built custom servers called RIPs to make it short. This is not a boast, this is just to fan out any nods that I am simply some ***** that is dabbling in “computer stuff”. I am new to messing with a TIVO, this is quite true, but spend most of my days surrounded by Intel, DEC Alpha, and Mips RISC boards coming in for server repair eval…. just to name a few. Go to the site if you want more info, but I want to move on with just some understanding of my background.
With such a great job and such great qualifications, why can't you
1) Afford to pay for satellite service?
2) Understand the concept of security on a PROM?
3) Afford to pay for a modded PROM?
4) Figure out how to do all this yourself?

ew

cabren
10-18-2005, 10:45 PM
Three days on this site.... Three. I'm being lynch mobbed led by an Administrator:mad: of this site caused by me questioning a blunt directionless answer and a rude answer I received on a very genuine inquiry. “WITCH!!!!:eek: He’s a witch!!!! Or warlock or whatever!!! Burn-em at the stake!!! What the world is round you say? Burn-em at the stake!!!” Notice how every response following his instigates even more exaggerated attacks. There is this impressive amount of time and effort spent bashing my character, or should I say attitude you all are GUESSING from written words (someone said I was “yelling”.. I’m still trying to figure that one out). But the bashing, and I mean lengthy, time-not-well-spent, persecuting done by the Inquasitionistrator is pretty disturbing. What’s funny is… there are very few actual attempts at “listening” to what I was stating. If SLEEPER can successfully backup and restore to a larger drive, and ALTER THE KERNEL (yes, there is a specific sequence at the end of the backup warning that the backed-up kernel is about to be “altered”), how is it that the clone drive boots if “nothing can be changed”? The drive wasn’t just “identically” backed up, the KERNEL was altered from a foreign program for crying out loud, but that mystically doesn’t make a difference? I don’t need or want FTP, telnet, video file sharing, or even an alien file on the system let alone an alien file structure, I want to “replace” a 4kb file with another same name, same structure, different frequency path, satellite receiver IR of the same exact name and size. Daring to state this theory asking for help in researching this direction gets me whipped like an unruly slave. Led by the Administrator. Unreal…. And sad.

Let me ask you this, how many of you have moved one of these files… actually tried replacing a script changing it’s properties but not actually changing the scripts function on a series TIVO such as mine before lighting your mob torch and gathering your coon hounds for the hunt? I’ll bet none. Not one of you. To eager to feel good about bringing another man to his knees doesn’t matter who he is.

Re-read the threads in detail.

Make sure you don’t attach some crazy yelling madmad voice to my postings -- simply skeptical and frustrated as I stated.

Not right.
:(
I've washed my hands... see ya.

jasch
10-18-2005, 10:52 PM
Wow. I guess three times the charm? How many times do we have to say it for you to believe us <grin>

JJBliss
10-18-2005, 11:00 PM
If SLEEPER can successfully backup and restore to a larger drive, and ALTER THE KERNEL (yes, there is a specific sequence at the end of the backup warning that the backed-up kernel is about to be “altered”), how is it that the clone drive boots if “nothing can be changed”?
Because the PROM puts back the original kernel.

The drive wasn’t just “identically” backed up, the KERNEL was altered from a foreign program for crying out loud, but that mystically doesn’t make a difference?
Learn to read. If the kernel was truly changed, and stayed that way, the drive would not have booted.

I want to “replace” a 4kb file with another same name, same structure, different frequency path, satellite receiver IR of the same exact name and size.
But with a different checksum. This has been pointed out many times in this very thread.

Daring to state this theory asking for help in researching this direction gets me whipped like an unruly slave.
No, not unruly, just ignorant. If you took the time to learn, you might not be ignorant any longer.

Led by the Administrator.
Thats my job. To lead.

And sad
Yes, you are.

Let me ask you this, how many of you have moved one of these files…
Many of us, though it wouldn't matter since without breaching the kernel check on the Series 2.5 PROM, the file would be deleted upon boot.

actually tried replacing a script changing it’s properties but not actually changing the scripts function on a series TIVO such as mine
See above.

I’ll bet none. Not one of you.
Ah.. A betting man. Have you heard the term "mush". Don't bet on what you don't understand. It's just silly.

To eager to feel good about bringing another man to his knees doesn’t matter who he is.
I just answered your questions. But since you want to "make bets", I bet that you don't get your Tivo modified without replacing the PROM, or bypassing the kernel check.

Re-read the threads in detail.
You too.

I've washed my hands... see ya.
Enjoy your stock Tivo. You'll learn to use it without new IR codes.
I assume you won't be back, so good riddance to bad rubbish. You added nothing to the forum. Goodbye.

Moved to Sewer

jasch
10-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Moved to Sewer

Finally. But to be honest, it was amusing for a while

Gunnyman
10-18-2005, 11:21 PM
one of the more amusing reads here in a while.

pcsmith
10-19-2005, 01:03 AM
just please use more paragraphs ffs.

captain_video
10-19-2005, 08:53 AM
I love the sewer threads. They're more fun than the Sunday Funnies! I used to think that we should have a a$$hole filter in the forum software to keep posts like these from happening but that would put an end to the entertainment, which I suspect we'd all miss immensely.

The Only Druid
10-19-2005, 08:57 AM
I love the sewer threads. They're more fun than the Sunday Funnies! I used to think that we should have a a$$hole filter in the forum software to keep posts like these from happening but that would put an end to the entertainment, which I suspect we'd all miss immensely.
If nothing else, I think they serve a certain purpose: hopefully during the time before they hit the sewer, some other new and/or whiney posters will read them and lose their will to moan.

quato_dc
10-19-2005, 09:44 AM
I can't believe how quickly he went on the offensive. Maybe if he plugged in a serial cable and watched the output he would actually believe that the PROM was restoring some of the modified files, like the kernel and deleting the small 4K file before failing.
Sometimes a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Shame really.

Oh well, no big loss.. Thanks for the entertainment :D

The Only Druid
10-19-2005, 10:39 AM
I can't believe how quickly he went on the offensive. Maybe if he plugged in a serial cable and watched the output he would actually believe that the PROM was restoring some of the modified files, like the kernel and deleting the small 4K file before failing.
Sometimes a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Shame really.

The problem was that he made up his mind before learning the facts. To paraphrase Chris Rock, anyone who makes up their mind before hearing the question is an *****.

willard322
10-19-2005, 02:36 PM
The problem was that he made up his mind before learning the facts. To paraphrase Chris Rock, anyone who makes up their mind before hearing the question is an *****.OK, I give up what is "an *****"? Hmmm, five letters, starts with a vowel? And please don't tell me to read an eighty five page thread or do a search on "*****".:D

cheer
10-19-2005, 02:57 PM
OK, I give up what is "an *****"? Hmmm, five letters, starts with a vowel? And please don't tell me to read an eighty five page thread or do a search on "*****".:D
I d i o t.

The Only Druid
10-19-2005, 04:43 PM
I d i o t.
It's funny but I forget that word is censored all the time. It's so counterintuitive.

Pittsy
03-12-2007, 09:55 PM
I was about to reluctantly begin hacking my TiVo in order to add some missing IR codes, then I came up with a different approach which has worked very well for me. I thought I'd share it.

I selected the Motorola satellite receiver in TiVo during setup. I then took the IR emitter from the TiVo and attached is to a USBUIRT (IR transmitter and receiver) connected to my PC. Using a software program called Girder, I trained the PC to transmit the IR codes of my FTA receiver in response to receiving the Motorola codes.

In other words when TiVo sends Motorola codes for 4-5-6, the PC receives it and sends 4-5-6 for my FTA receiver. I had to play around with the delays and repeat settings a bit within Girder, but I have now had 100% success with channel changes over the past 2 weeks....and I didn't have to mess up my TiVo.

I just thought I'd share this approach for anyone in the same situation...Good luck.