PDA

View Full Version : Guides for hacking the Tivo

snowman
10-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Okay, since it'll end up here anyway, I'll start it here.

Some of you affectionately remember me, okay, maybe not affectionately.

Well, I'm back to get from 4.01b to 6.2. Luckily, I came across a guide or two and we'll see how that works.

I personally appreciate guides. They put all the stuff in one nice, neat little package. I wish they weren't frowned upon so much here.

However, the two I've seen both have one thing in common -- donate (or buy me a beer). NOW I understand why the guys here get their drawers in a wad. These are people who certainly made it easier to do the hacking by putting all the info in a nice neat little package, but none of the info was even created by the author of the guide. It's all regurgitated information, gleaned from one site -- this one. Every one of them has "go to ddb and get this, then this, then this".

While I'm against bounties and requests for donations from authors, by golly, at least the people WRITING THE UTILS that allow us to do the hacking actually CREATED something, rather than just writing a book report with links.

Some guides are blessed, some are cursed. Of course, the blessed ones start off by "this is not a guide" :). But the difference in which ones stay and which ones go is.... those requesting donations go.... Those that call themselves a "roadmap" with no request for payment stay.

There are certainly a few folks here who quickly tire of questions by those who just aren't as tivo-centric as they are. A well-written guide is one of the few things that most anyone here can "give back". However, it's when the "giving back" starts becoming a "revenue source" that it gets ugly.

So, in short, "I get it."

captain_video
10-17-2005, 03:59 PM
One of the main reasons guides are frowned upon is because they aren't well-written and contain numerous errors. Most guides are written by newbies who feel the need to "give something back" to the community (been there, done that, got the T-shirt and never asked for anything in return). Unfortunately, the fact that they are newbies is also why they shouldn't be writing guides for others. They simply don't have the experience to realize when they are introducing errors that will give other newbies fits and cause a deluge of "help me" type posts when the blind followers of said guides hose up their Tivos. The more experienced members realize the necessity for said guides does not exist since you can't learn anything when being led by the nose. Guides are fine as a reference but far too many rely on them as the Holy Grail that will lead them to salvation and can't understand when it leads to damnation instead.:eek:

JJBliss
10-17-2005, 05:19 PM
Some guides are blessed, some are cursed. Of course, the blessed ones start off by "this is not a guide" :).
The "guide" you refer to is NOT blessed by any means. In fact, the author kindly asked that you NOT mention it here on DDB at all. I see you have not honored his wishes. Typical.

There are certainly a few folks here who quickly tire of questions by those who just aren't as tivo-centric as they are
Actually, we tire of those who are less willing to learn they we are.

A well-written guide is one of the few things that most anyone here can "give back". However, it's when the "giving back" starts becoming a "revenue source" that it gets ugly. [/quote]
Amongst other things.

So, in short, "I get it."
Not yet, but you are getting warmer.
Enjoy 6.2