PDA

View Full Version : boxmenu: a new TyTool helper app.

gfb107
10-19-2005, 10:51 PM
****** Update 3/22/06 *******
I've rewritten boxmenu as a .NET application.
That gave me support for .JPG background images.
I've added an option for turning the "fit to text" behavior of the menu highlighting on/off.
The preview screen now shows the highlighting of each menu item when you pass the mouse over it.
There's now a "f" text template character that resolves to the filename (extension removed) of VOB file.

Windows XP users should already have the .NET framework installed.
Other users can get it at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en

For the moment the old version is still available below as boxmenu.zip (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5475&stc=1&d=1143052281)
The new version is BoxMenu-new.zip (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5549&stc=1&d=1143052281), and the source is BoxMenu-new-src.zip (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5550&stc=1&d=1143052580).

****** Updated 1/31/06 ******
There's a new version of boxmenu!
It now works with TyTool versions 9r18 and 10r4.
And it honors the chapter settings in the template file.

I've been using TyTool for a while now to create DVDs from TiVo recordings.

For the most part I've been very pleased with TyTool. The only thing I haven't been very happy with is the DVD menus. IMO, the menu text doesn't look very good, and neither does the highlighting. I wanted to highlight the menu items by drawing a box around them.

I went looking for something to help me do that, and found DVDAuthorGUI (http://www.videohelp.com/~liquid217/dvdauthorgui.pl).
It is almost exactly what I wanted, except that the version of dvdautor it uses doesn't like VOBs created from Ty files. It also doesn't work with the version of dvdauthor that TyTool uses. And it doesn't have the concept of templates.

So, I've created a small, really simple app that helps create DVDAUthorGUI-like DVD menus for TyTool generated DVDs

In order to use it, you must have TyTool, TyTemplate, and DVDAUthorGUI installed.

Use a graphics program (the GIMP, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc.) to create your menu bitmap, including the title text (if desired), but not the menu items.

Use TyTemplate to create a template that uses that bitmap. Create episode cells for the menu items. The bounding box for these cells will be used to create the highlighting for the menu item. Delete the title cell. Make sure to set the DVD output directory.

Use TyTool to create vob files from your .ty (or .mpg) files.

Launch boxmenu.

Press the Browse button to select the template file you created earlier.

Select the highlight style you want: Box - draws a box around the edge of the cells Underline - draws a line along the bottom edge of the cells > - draws a right facing triangle (►) at the left edge of the cell. The triangle will be as wide as the text is tall. Make sure to allow room for the triangle when laying out your cells in TyTemplate. The highlighting will look something like
►Episode title [Bracketted] - Draws a left bracket at the left edge, and right bracket at the right edge. The highlighting will look something like
[Episode title]

Add the VOBs you want on your DVD by using the Browse button. Use the Move Up and Move Down buttons to make sure they are in the order you want them assigned to the cells from the template.

Enter the text template for generating the menu text from the vob file names. This is a text string where certain characters will be expanded to values extracted from the vob file name:
t = title
e = episode
y = year
m = month
d = date
w = day of the week
s = station
Any other character will be used as is.
This allows control of automatically generated menu item text independent of how the files are named.
Some of these will probably evaluate the an empty string, because they may not be present in the vob file name.
For multiple episodes of the same show, I use "e (m/d/y)"

Note: In order to extract these values from the vob file name, boxmenu reads TyTools.ini to determine the naming options you are using. If the vob names aren't consistent with TyTools.ini, you may get unexpected results. BTW, for VOB file naming, I like using
Title
Space
Date
Space
Episode
The reason I use spaces is that it reduces that chance of a mis-parse caused by a dash in the title or episode (the CSI series all have dashes in the title).
I like title-date-episode is so that all file open dialogs will automatically group files by show, and list those is date order.

Select the color you want for the menu text (applies to all menu items). At some point in the future, when TyTool has a need for it, I expect the color for the menu text will be specified in the template file.

You have the option of attaching a sound file (.m2a) to your menu. It will play once while the menu is being displayed.

Press the Preview button to see a preview of the menu. It'll show the first menu item highlighted, but will draw all the menu items.

If you aren't happy with what you see, you can go back and change anything and preview again. You can even go back and modify the background image or template file, or even choose a different template file.

Once you are happy with the preview, push the Create IFO Files button to generate the entire DVD. If you've already done that (or used TyTool to do it) and just want to regenerate the menu, press the Regenerate Menu button.

Test it out in your favorite software DVD player. I use PowerDVD (note to PowerDVD version 4 users, make sure you get the latest patches at http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/patches_1_ENU.html).

Once you are satisfied, press Done.

gfb107
10-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Thought you might like to see what a boxmenu generated menu looks like, and the similar TyTool generated menu.

gfb107
10-21-2005, 11:28 AM
I downloaded the latest patches for PowerDVD 4.0. and there aren't any more problems playing the resulting DVD.

crunch_pvr
10-25-2005, 05:07 AM
This looks really cool and I would like to try it out with a menu I have created, but I did not see boxmenu (executable) in either of the zip files, only the source and a .BAT file which is supposed to compile the source (I think) - am I missing something?

gfb107
10-25-2005, 09:24 AM
Sorry about that. I've replaced boxmenu.zip in the first post, and it now includes the executable. I've also made some code improvements.

gfb107
10-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Just a couple of tips about usage.

Once you've used TyTool to generate the DVD files, you can tweak the bitmap and template and run boxmenu and the generated fixmenu.bat as many times as you like until you get the results you want. No need to run it through TyTool again.

crunch_pvr
10-25-2005, 06:21 PM
This sounds great, thanks!

osetivo
10-25-2005, 07:29 PM
That really does look nice.

crunch_pvr
10-25-2005, 08:35 PM
I just ran Boxmenu and am getting:

"boxmenu.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I am running XP PRO SP2.

The DOS window has the following info:

parseRectangle "459,126,706,171"
parseRectangle "458,184,705,229"
parseRectangle "458,242,705,287"
parseRectangle "458,300,705,345"
parseRectangle "459,359,706,431"
Make file is 'C:\COMBAT_DVD1\make.bat'

C:\COMBAT_DVD1 is the directory that I specified when making the Template and is where the IFO's were created. There is no fixmenu.bat in the C:\COMBAT_DVD1 directory.

Here are the versions I am running:

Tytools9r18
TyTemplate.exe (v 1.0.0.0)
DVDAuthorGUI.exe (reports as v 1.005b = properties shows v 1.00.0003)

Thanks.

gfb107
10-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Weird. What does "C:\COMBAT_DVD1\make.bat" look like?

crunch_pvr
10-26-2005, 01:36 AM
I attached the make.bat from C:\COMBAT_DVD1.

gfb107
10-26-2005, 01:45 AM
There's something strange in your make.bat

The first line shouldn't be there. It appears to be a duplicate of the last line.
That's what's causing the problem. Delete it and try boxmenu again.

I'll improve the parsing of make.bat

gfb107
10-26-2005, 02:35 AM
I've made some enhancements. New .zip file available in the first post of the thread.

crunch_pvr
10-26-2005, 03:06 AM
I am having the same problem with the application encountering a problem. It is stopping at "Make file is 'C:\COMBAT_DVD1\make.bat'" - that is not a direct copy since I was unable to copy the text from the output box after it stopped responding.

Should I start over again? My layout is that C:\COMBAT_DVD1 has the VIDEO_TS (which contains the VOB, BUP and IFO files) file along with some other files that were created by Tytool including make.bat under C:\COMBAT_DVD1. The Template seems to correctly point to C:\COMBAT_DVD1 as the output directory.

BTW, the new interface looks good. What are the ">" and "><" radio buttons for? I assume it would be something like > "background text" or > "background text" < where the > or >< would be at the edges of the box created in the template?

EDIT - I guess I should have re-read the 1st post (which I am doing now) :-D

crunch_pvr
10-26-2005, 03:15 AM
OK, I see something I missed:

"Use TyTool to create the IFO Files/dir. Make sure you use the template file above to create the DVD. Don't worry about the text for the menu elements, although you do have to change it from the default value. I just use the little ^ button to generate the text from the vob file name."

Going to start over from the beginning, will post my results.

crunch_pvr
10-26-2005, 03:59 AM
Here is the process I am using, still getting the error:

1. Created a background bitmap using photoshop (720 x 480). This file has the background with the text for the Menu Elements (Episodes) and Title.

2. Used TyTemplate to create the Episode boxes and set the DVD Out directory as "C:\COMBAT_DVD1" using File > preferences > DVD Out:, also set the same directory for Images:

3. In TyTemplate I also set the DVD Directory using Template > DVD Directory for the same path as in step 2 (C:\COMBAT_DVD1).

4. Opened TyTool9r18 and created the IFO Files/Dir - selected the VOBS, Add, then Process:

4A. From the "Make Menu" loaded the Template first (File > Load Menu), selected the template I created using TyTemplate.

4B. Set each "Menu Element" in the right pane to the corresponding VOB, used the "^" to set the "Element Title" to a unique name (not the default). Clicked "Set Item" after each "Menu Element" was completed.

4C. Added "XXXX" to the Title to avoid the error from TyTool (since this should be discarded anyway).
Update - per gfb107:
You can avoid this step by deleting the title cell from your template.

4D. Clicked "Make IFO" and waited for the processing to complete.

5. Ran boxmenu.exe, selected the template file used with TyTool earlier, Selected "Box" as the "Highlight Style", clicked process.

After this step the application stops with the Windows error box, the last entry in the progress box for boxmenu is:

"Make file is 'C:\COMBAT_DVD1\make.bat'"

I end up with the VIDEO_TS (containing VOB, IFo and BUP files) and AUDIO_TS (empty) along with make.bat, menu.bmp, menu.mpg, menu.m2v, menu.yuv and overlay.bmp in "C:\COMBAT_DVD1"

Update - this process works now. Step 6 would be run fixmenu.bat and then copy the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS to a DVD using Nero (used the UDF/ISO option since I got errors with the DVD Video option).

FredThompson
10-26-2005, 04:29 AM
I have to ask...did you pick Smallville because Josh has been hunting for menu menu images?

gfb107
10-26-2005, 08:11 AM
Please provide a copy of your template file and make.bat

gfb107
10-26-2005, 08:13 AM
I have to ask...did you pick Smallville because Josh has been hunting for menu menu images?
Nope, pure coincidence.

gfb107
10-26-2005, 08:27 AM
4C. Added "XXXX" to the Title to avoid the error from TyTool (since this should be discarded anyway).

You can avoid this step by deleting the title cell from your template.

gfb107
10-26-2005, 10:03 AM
OK, I figured out what the problem was. I've replaced the .zip file in the first post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238315&postcount=1) of this thread. Download it and give it a try.

crunch_pvr
10-26-2005, 03:29 PM
No Error with the new boxmenu! I get the fixmenu.bat and it ran sucessfully. Have not yet burned the DVD, will report if it worked, but it looks good. Thanks!

Update - just burned the DVD and the boxmenu is there, looks great. Thanks for this program, really makes the menus look better. One question though: In TyTemplate I set the color of the boxes as grey, yet they are red on the DVD. Is there a way to change the color of the boxes? I noticed that when selected they changed to grey (as I had set them), but they are red otherwise.

gfb107
10-27-2005, 11:16 AM
I've just replace boxmenu.zip again, with version 0.4

Boxmenu will now generate fixmenu.bat and immediately run it.

gfb107
10-27-2005, 11:24 AM
One question though: In TyTemplate I set the color of the boxes as grey, yet they are red on the DVD. Is there a way to change the color of the boxes? I noticed that when selected they changed to grey (as I had set them), but they are red otherwise.
No and yes.

If you look at highlight.png ( in the DVD Directory), you'll see that boxmenu draws the boxes in yellow, but dvdauthor changes them to red. It is hard-coded in the version of dvdauthor TyTool uses. There are newer versions of dvdauthor that use the color as drawn. If/when TyTool upgrades to a newer version of dvdauthor, adding support for choosing the color would be simple.

You can use IFOEdit to change the color after the menu has been replaced by boxmenu. See http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=156946&#post156946

crunch_pvr
10-28-2005, 04:31 AM
Cool, thanks, will try IFOEdit on my next DVD. Once again,cool app, makes for decent looking, quick DVD's with TyTool.

gfb107
11-04-2005, 05:46 PM
Here's a menu that shows the underline style of menu highlighting.

slydog75
11-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Great program, makes for much nicer menus! One question though. If I make a DVD with just TyTools and a standard template it will play on my Panasonic RP-62, but if I take the same image, run it through boxmenu it won't play on the Panasonic. THe menu loads but it crashes when you actually try to play anything. Any ideas?

gfb107
11-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Maybe a firmware update?

This sounds a lot like the problem I was having with PowerDVD 4.0. It wouldn't play the new menus until I installed the latest patches.

BTW, it works fine on my Panasonic RV-30

gfb107
11-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Another sample menu, this time using the ">" triangle highlighting

slydog75
11-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Maybe a firmware update?

This sounds a lot like the problem I was having with PowerDVD 4.0. It wouldn't play the new menus until I installed the latest patches.

BTW, it works fine on my Panasonic RV-30

I don't think I can update the firmware on my Panasonic unfortunately. Guess I'll just have to stick with the normal Tytools menus.

crunch_pvr
11-10-2005, 06:25 AM
Have you tried not using boxmenu, but still using the bitmap background to see if it will play? Thinking it may be the background bitmap. No problems for me, though I did have to update firmware to get my player to see some new media.

gfb107, the samples look great. Any possibility of using dingbats or other text for the selector?

slydog75
11-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I can use the exact same template and background and not run it through boxmenu and it works fine.. as soon as I run it through box menu my RP-62 refuses to play it.. The menu loads but when I click on a link it locks up. How do you update firmware on these things?

spaceman1013
11-25-2005, 08:01 AM
This is awesome tool can't wait to try it. I have always hated the way the text looked in TyTool default menus.

I loved your templates. It would be cool for people to have some place to contribute templates that people can download. I assume most people mock this up in Photoshop and then save down the backgound as a bitmap. I would love to be able to load up someones photoshop PSD file, edit the episode text, and then save it down.

I know that I have contributed some Modern Marvels templates to the TyTool page and I know Fred is just going crazy creating templates using your tool. He has contibuted quite a few templates to the TyTool template website as well.

gfb107
12-01-2005, 10:56 PM
******** Update 1/31/06 **********
The latest version of boxmenu is always in the first post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238315&postcount=1) of this thread

gfb107
12-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Made some bug fixes in the new version. Apparently no one tried what was there, cause things weren't working very well.

fredfillis
12-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Using boxmenu 0.4 I get the following error.

DVDAuthorGUI is installed in "C:\Program Files\DVDAuthorGUI"
Bitmap is "C:\Desktop Stuff\TIVO Stuff\TyTool9r18\TyTool9r18\templates\damian.bmp"
DVD directory is "H:\tivotemp"
Cell 0 at 390,85,680,140
Cell 1 at 390,145,680,200
Cell 2 at 390,205,680,260
Cell 3 at 390,265,680,320
Cell 4 at 390,325,680,380
Cell 5 at 390,385,680,440
Make file is "H:\tivotemp\make.bat"
Error parsing make file!

My make.bat is attached. Any tips appreciated!

gfb107
12-11-2005, 09:20 AM
I've replaced boxmenu 0.4 with boxmenu 0.4a in the first post of this thread. It should work now.

Note that you are not using the newest version of boxmenu, which is described and available here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241820&postcount=34).

fredfillis
12-11-2005, 02:32 PM
I've replaced boxmenu 0.4 with boxmenu 0.4a in the first post of this thread. It should work now.

Note that you are not using the newest version of boxmenu, which is described and available here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241820&postcount=34).
Thanks, have tried both 0.4a and the "new" version now. Seems to work with my make.bat now although I'm not getting the expected results. The menu generated lacks any highlighting. I suspect I'm missing something, such as a highlighting template (i.e. highlight.tmp).

This is the output from the latest version of boxmenu (some blank lines removed).

DVDAuthorGUI is installed in "C:\Program Files\DVDAuthorGUI\bin"

C:\Desktop Stuff\TIVO Stuff\TyTool9r18\TyTool9r18\templates>del /q "H:\tivotemp\highlight.tmp*"

Could Not Find H:\tivotemp\highlight.tmp*

C:\Desktop Stuff\TIVO Stuff\TyTool9r18\TyTool9r18\templates>del /q "H:\tivotemp\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.*"

C:\Desktop Stuff\TIVO Stuff\TyTool9r18\TyTool9r18\templates>"C:\Program Files\DVDAuthorGUI\bin\gm.exe" convert "H:\tivotemp\highlight.bmp" "H:\tivotemp\highlight.png"

C:\Desktop Stuff\TIVO Stuff\TyTool9r18\TyTool9r18\templates>"C:\Desktop Stuff\TIVO Stuff\TyTool9r18\TyTool9r18\bmp2y4m.exe" "H:\tivotemp\menu.bmp" "H:\tivotemp\menu.yuv"

1 720x480 YUV4MPEG frame writtern!

C:\Desktop Stuff\TIVO Stuff\TyTool9r18\TyTool9r18\templates>"C:\Desktop Stuff\TIVO Stuff\TyTool9r18\TyTool9r18\mpeg2enc.exe" -f 8 -o "H:\tivotemp\menu.m2v" "H:\tivotemp\menu.yuv"

INFO: [mpeg2enc] Selecting DVD output profile

INFO: [mpeg2enc] Assuming norm NTSC
++ WARN: [mpeg2enc] No aspect ratio specifed and no guess possible: assuming 4:3 display aspect!
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Encoding MPEG-2 video to H:\tivotemp\menu.m2v
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Horizontal size: 720 pel
INFO: [mp
eg2enc] Vertical size: 480 pel
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Aspect ratio code: 2 = 4:3 display
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Frame rate code: 4 = 30000.0/1001.0 (NTSC VIDEO)
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Bitrate: 7500 KBit/s
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Quality factor: 8 (1=best, 31=worst)
I
NFO: [mpeg2enc] Field order for input: top-field-first
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Sequence unlimited length
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Search radius: 16
INFO: [mpeg2enc] GOP SIZE RANGE 9 TO 15
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Setting colour/gamma parameters to "NTSC"
INFO: [mpeg2
enc] Progressive format frames = 0

INFO: [mpeg2enc] Buffering 39 frames

INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING 3DNOW and EXTENDED MMX for QUANTIZER!

INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for MOTION!
INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING MMX for TRANSFORM!
INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for PREDICTION!

INFO: [mpeg2enc] GOP LENGTH = 1

INFO: [mpeg2enc] Frame start 0 I 0 0

INFO: [mpeg2enc] Frame end 0 157.56 157.56 9.2 9.17

INFO: [mpeg2enc] GOP LENGTH = 0

C:\Desktop Stuff\TIVO Stuff\TyTool9r18\TyTool9r18\templates>"C:\Program Files\DVDAuthorGUI\bin\tcmplex.exe" -m d -N -o "H:\tivotemp\menu1.mpg" -i "H:\tivotemp\menu.m2v"

tcmplex-panteltje-0.4.7 (c) 2001 Thomas Ístreich and Jan Panteltje

INFO: using reference profile (DVD)
INFO: profile type is (NTSC)
INFO:
INFO: Scanning video stream for a sequence header and pulldown type ...

INFO: no pulldown detected ...

INFO:

INFO: Scanning video stream for pictures ...

Scanning video stream: byte offset 12 of 37782. 0%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 663 of 37782. 1%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 2301 of 37782. 6%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 3837 of 37782. 10%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 4199 of 37782.
11%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 4871 of 37782. 12%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 6541 of 37782. 17%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 7214 of 37782. 19%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 8523 of 37782. 22%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 115
32 of 37782. 30%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 13134 of 37782. 34%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 14065 of 37782. 37%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 15621 of 37782. 41%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 17003 of 37782. 45%
Scanning video stream:
byte offset 17578 of 37782. 46%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 18639 of 37782. 49%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 21222 of 37782. 56%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 22709 of 37782. 60%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 23373 of 37782. 61%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 24419 of 37782. 64%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 27620 of 37782. 73%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 29544 of 37782. 78%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 31050 of 37782. 82%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 32302 of 3
7782. 85%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 33407 of 37782. 88%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 34676 of 37782. 91%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 36656 of 37782. 97%
Scanning video stream: byte offset 37530 of 37782. 99%

INFO: Found 1 picture headers, stream bit offset 302256.
INFO: Video stream information
INFO: Stream length : 37782
INFO: Total time (seconds) : 0
INFO: Sequence start : 1
INFO: Sequence end : 1
INFO: No. Pictures : 1
INFO: No. Gr
oups : 1
INFO: No. I Frames : 1 avg. size 37782 bytes
INFO: No. P Frames : 0 avg. size 0 bytes
INFO: No. B Frames : 0 avg. size 0 bytes
INFO: No. D Frames : 0 avg. size 0 bytes
INFO: Horizontal size : 720
INFO: Vertical size : 480
INFO
: Aspect ratio : 0.6735
INFO: Picture rate : 29.970 frames/sec
INFO: Bit rate : 937500 bytes/sec (7500000 bits/sec)
INFO: Computed avg rate : 1132500 bytes/sec (9060000 bits/sec)
INFO: Computed max rate : 0 bytes/sec (0 bits/sec)
INFO:
Vbv buffer size : 229376 bytes
INFO: CSPF : 0

using video_delay=180.00ms
using audio_delay=180.00ms offset to video=0.00
using audio1_delay=180.00ms offset to video=0.00
using audio2_delay=180.00ms offset to video=0.00
using audio3_delay=180.00ms offset to video=0.00
using audio4_delay=180.00ms offset to
video=0.00
using audio5_delay=180.00ms offset to video=0.00
using audio6_delay=180.00ms offset to video=0.00
using audio7_delay=180.00ms offset to video=0.00

INFO:
INFO: Multiplexing information
INFO: Video stream data rate : 0 bytes/sec (0 bits/sec
)
INFO: Total data rate : 1260000 bytes/sec (10080000 bits/sec)
INFO:
INFO: Multiplexing file H:\tivotemp\menu1.mpg
Multiplexing: 50% - 1 of 2 A/V units. 50%

INFO: Finished multiplexing H:\tivotemp\menu1.mpg

Multiplexing: 100% - 2 of 2 A/V units. 100%

C:\Desktop Stuff\TIVO Stuff\TyTool9r18\TyTool9r18\templates>"C:\Program Files\DVDAuthorGUI\bin\spumux.exe" "H:\tivotemp\menu.xml" 0<"H:\tivotemp\menu1.mpg" 1>"H:\tivotemp\menu.mpg"

DVDAuthor::spumux, version 0.6.12-alpha-2907.
Build options: gnugetopt iconv freetype
Send bugs to <dvdauthor-users@lists.sourceforge.net>

INFO: Locale=C

INFO: Converting filenames to US-ASCII
STAT: 0:00:00.000

INFO: PNG had 1 colors

INFO: PNG had 1 colors

INFO: Constructing blank img

WARN: Read 0, expected 4

INFO: Found EOF in .sub file.

INFO: Max_sub_size=988

INFO: 1 subtitles added, 0 subtitles skipped, stream: 32, offset: 0.21

Statistics:
- Processed 0 subtitles.
- The longest display line had -1 characters.
- The maximum number of displayed lines was 0.
- The normal display height of the font arial.ttf was 0.
- The bottom display height of the font arial.ttf was 0.
- The biggest subtitle box had 988 bytes.

C:\Desktop Stuff\TIVO Stuff\TyTool9r18\TyTool9r18\templates>
"C:\Desktop Stuff\TIVO Stuff\TyTool9r18\TyTool9r18\dvdAuthor" -o "H:\tivotemp" -T -v "16:9" --menu --file="H:\tivotemp\menu.mpg"

C:\Desktop Stuff\TIVO Stuff\TyTool9r18\TyTool9r18\templates>"C:\Desktop Stuff\TIVO Stuff\TyTool9r18\TyTool9r18\dvdAuthor" -o "H:\tivotemp" -T -v "16:9" --menu --file="H:\tivotemp\menu.mpg"

INFO: dvdauthor creating table of contents

scanning H:\tivotemp/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.IFO

scanning H:\tivotemp/VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_0.IFO

scanning H:\tivotemp/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_0.IFO

scanning H:\tivotemp/VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_0.IFO

scanning H:\tivotemp/VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_0.IFO

INFO: Creating menu for TOC

STAT: Processing H:\tivotemp\menu.mpg...

STAT: VOBU 1 at 0MB, 1 PGCS, 0:00:00

INFO: Generating VMGM with the following video attributes:
INFO: TV standard: ntsc
INFO: Aspect ratio: 4:3
INFO: Resolution: 720x480

STAT: fixed 1 VOBUS

C:\Desktop Stuff\TIVO Stuff\TyTool9r18\TyTool9r18\templates>
Waiting...

*** Finished with exit code 255! ***

In my case I'm trying to use box highlighting. Am I supposed to have a highlighting template? If so, where do I get that or how do I construct it?

Thanks.

gfb107
12-11-2005, 02:56 PM
The new version of boxmenu works very differently from 0.4a.

It is meant to be used instead of TyTool's "Create IFO Files/Dir". It will generate the menu item text (but not any title text) as well as the highlighting.

Here's the steps you should take: Select the TyTool template file to use. Select the highlight style you want Add the vobs you want to use. Reorder them if needed Select the VOB naming style used Enter the desired menu text template Choose a color for the menu text Optionally, choose an audio .m2a file to play while the menu us showing. Press the preview button to see what the menu will look like. The first menu item will show the highlighting. If there's it look OK keep going, otherwise go back and change anything you want. Press the "Create IFO Files" button to create the IFo Files. Test it with a software DVD player. If you need to change anything, you can make changes and just press the "Regenerate Menu" button

fredfillis
12-11-2005, 03:09 PM
I'll give that a try but I was under the impression that if I had already generated a file set wth tytools that I could choose to regenerate the menu only. Are you saying that is not correct and that I have to generate the entire dvd fileset with boxmenu?

What about the output in my previous post where highlight.tmp could not be found? Is that an issue?

Thanks!

gfb107
12-11-2005, 03:49 PM
What you describe was how the "old" boxmenu worked.

You can still just regenerate the menu, but you have to select the VOBs you want, so that boxmenu can figure out the text to use for the menu.

fredfillis
12-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Finally got things to work the way I needed. Had to correct my template. It was adequate for tytools (and primitive menus).

My original template specified only the size of each cell, but after reviewing the smallville template again I added font, size, align, chapmode and chapmins and poof ... it worked.

I also had problems with the VOB names but after some renaming of files I've now got what I want.

I'm tweaking positions but I think I have the process licked. Thanks for the very handy tool and the help.

Cheers!

fredfillis
12-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Ok, I've regenerated about 64 times and can't seem to get past this problem. See the picture below.

http://www.theluckins.com/Data/VImage001.bmp

I've tweaked the template as much as I know how. The menu looks fine in preview but after creating an ISO and trying out with software DVD player the above is what I get. For what it's worth, I'm creating the ISO with DVD shrink, and then mounting that with Virtual Daemon, and playing with Ulead DVD Player V1.5

Just for fun, my templatee is attached.

Any ideas on how I can get around this problem?

gfb107
12-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Well, that sure is weird.

boxmenu creates a number of working files in the base DVD output directory, which may help us figure out what is going on.
These are: menu.bmp - the backgroung bitmap with the menu text drawn on it highlight.bmp - the highlight overlay, drawn in yellow highlight.png - the highlight overlay, converted to a 4-color PNGTake a look at those and see how they look.

Also, it seems like a lot of extra steps to have to create the ISO, mount it with Virtual Daemon, and finally test it in ULead DVD Player.

I can open the VIDEO_TS.IFO directly in either PowerDVD or Windows Media Player.

fredfillis
12-12-2005, 07:39 PM
These are: menu.bmp - the backgroung bitmap with the menu text drawn on it highlight.bmp - the highlight overlay, drawn in yellow highlight.png - the highlight overlay, converted to a 4-color PNGTake a look at those and see how they look.

Also, it seems like a lot of extra steps to have to create the ISO, mount it with Virtual Daemon, and finally test it in ULead DVD Player.

I can open the VIDEO_TS.IFO directly in either PowerDVD or Windows Media Player.

The menu.bmp appears to be ok.

Both highlight.bmp and highlight.png appear all black when opened, although in XP the "details" sidebar shows the boxes drawn.

http://www.theluckins.com/Data/Untitled.bmp

If I try to open the ifo in WMP it just crashes. In addition, any VOB generated out of boxmenu crashes my WMP

gfb107
12-12-2005, 08:14 PM
How about you zip up the following and upload them so I can look at them:

menu.bmp
highlight.png
menu.xml
menu1.mpg
makevobs.bat
makemenu.bat

fredfillis
12-12-2005, 09:16 PM
here they are.

fredfillis
12-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Hold the bus!

I just tried the ifo file on my wife's machine. It opened up fine in WMP and appeared to be correct.

My wife's machine is in a relatively virgin state as far as video is concerned. My guess is that my machine is choked to the max with crap. For example, Ulead MovieFactory, tytools, various codecs in WMP, TMPenc, VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod, AVI2DVD, DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, VideoReDo. I guess I've made the point!

So I guess I will try making the ifo on my wife's machine and will let you know the result.

Thanks for the help.

gfb107
12-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Well, that's a relief. I couldn't think of anything that might cause that.

fredfillis
12-15-2005, 01:11 PM
:confused: It's all a big mystery to me!

As I said, I tried the IFO on my wife's PC and it worked. I had a previously created "defective" ISO on my PC and mounted it on my wife's PC and it worked too!

I burned the ISO to DVD and it works on one of my DVD players but not the other. Clearly a player issue there so I'm not fussed.

My PC will be hitting the road soon as I plan to build a new one in the next couple of months. However, I'm trying to get a handle on why the DVD fileset created on this PC will not play properly. It's mainly for academic interest and also so that I can avoid installing crapware on my future PC.

So far I have removed all the ulead stuff from my machine but I have little confidence that everything was really removed. Now I'm using several tools found at videohelp.com to identify what codecs are on the machine and will attemp to strip out the BS.

Will post any findings.

spaceman1013
01-21-2006, 12:14 AM
After using the tool some more, here is some feedback and suggestions.

1. BoxMenu only works if the template file background image is a BMP. It will not work with JPG even though TyTemplate editor supports this as does TyTools.

2. It would be very helpful to be able to change the background image without having to modify the template file. Maybe another browse button and a field called override background image.

3. Can the highlighting color be changed? I seen a discussion of this in the TyTools forum and it seems it is not possible with the version of DVDAuthor it uses, but is available in later versions. Since BoxMenu runs outside TyTools why not use your own DVDAuthor.exe from within the BoxMenu directory rather than pointing to the TyTools one. I think its just a simple command line flag that needs to be added to change the color. I believe FredThompson knows more about this. I also noticed in this thread that one can use IFOEdit to change the color. But it would be nice if the tool can do this. Now that BoxMenu can generate the IFOs without having to use TyTools at all, it seems like it would now be fairly easy to use a local version of DVDAuthor.exe for BoxMenu. Maybe this can be made an override option in a preferences menu, that is to point to another version of DVDAuthor.exe and add menu color changing control to the menu.

4. The biggest feature that is missing is the ability to set chapter stops. My template file had CHAPMODE:1 and CHAPMINS:4 so it should of created chapter stops every 4 minutes. But it seemed that BoxMenu ignores that setting. My final DVD had no chapter stops.

5. I noticed that if you have a vob file with a name like "Ben & Jerry - Ice Cream Kings". That the only way to get the "-" to appear is to set a template up as "t - e" but the problem is that I have some vob files named "Food Fads" and on the DVD menu it will appear as "Food Fads -". The dash at the end makes it look odd. Can you have the program check that if their is no title or episode that it should not add the dash or hardcoded divider as specified in the template. If this seems like an uncommon change to make, maybe you can make it an option from an preferences menu.

6. An "About..." dialog so you can identify what version of BoxMenu is running.

7. A preferences tab where you can set the default template and vob directories.

8. Saved the hardest for last. How about an option to "chain play" the titles. That is, where when when title ends it goes onto the next one.

Great Tool, thanks!

spaceman1013
01-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Anyone have a Battlestar Galactica background and template they could post here?

gfb107
01-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Anyone have a Battlestar Galactica background and template they could post here?There's a bunch of them at http://www.tytool.com/tytemplates/TyTool+Templates/default.aspx

spaceman1013
01-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks got them. I will be posting a "Daisy Cooks" template up there today if anyone is interested.

gfb107 - What did you think of my suggestions and feedback in my prior post? Any of these things look doable in the next version?

gfb107
01-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Unfortunately, I haven't got any time to work on boxmenu right now. However, you've got the source, so you are free to enhance it as you like.

spaceman1013
01-21-2006, 06:24 PM
I did not realize the source was included. I noticed the makefile, did you compile the EXE using the GCC compiler or was it generated in Visual Studio?

I was wondering if I could use the Visual Studio .NET to work with the GUI screens. If not what do you use for the IDE and GUI development?

gfb107
01-21-2006, 10:19 PM
I use GCC to compile it.

There's only one screen in boxmenu, it's a dialog, and I use weditres to edit it.

spaceman1013
01-25-2006, 03:35 AM
I tried downloading weditres from the main site but it wants a ftp username and password. Where can I get this EXE or can you post it here as an attachment if its not too large.

I assume its free, so posting it here should be okay.

A friend of mine also has Borland Developer Studio 2006 which now supports C++. He was also going to help me with the project. Do you think the Borland C compiler would work as well? I'd love to be able to debug the code line by line from an IDE as it would make things so much quicker to learn your code.

bhorstkotte
01-25-2006, 07:23 AM
I created a template using TyTemplate, and used it to create my DVD structure menus in boxmenu - but when I try to play the folder with WinDVD, I get nothing. I can play the contained VOBs fine, but it seems to not like something about the created structure.

Any others have this problem?

A few things I noticed:

- completion message says to open the VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO file in my favorite media player, but there is no such file
- progress report shows "ERR: TOC cannot have titles" and "Finished with exit code 255!" towards the end - anyone know what these refer to?

Thanks, my template file is attached in a zip...

gfb107
01-25-2006, 09:15 PM
I tried downloading weditres from the main site but it wants a ftp username and password. Where can I get this EXE or can you post it here as an attachment if its not too large.

I assume its free, so posting it here should be okay.

A friend of mine also has Borland Developer Studio 2006 which now supports C++. He was also going to help me with the project. Do you think the Borland C compiler would work as well? I'd love to be able to debug the code line by line from an IDE as it would make things so much quicker to learn your code.I got weditres as part of lcc-Win32 (http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32/).

You're free to use any tools you like to develop/debug, but I ask that you make sure it will still build with GCC (and work when built with GCC).

gfb107
01-25-2006, 09:24 PM
I created a template using TyTemplate, and used it to create my DVD structure menus in boxmenu - but when I try to play the folder with WinDVD, I get nothing. I can play the contained VOBs fine, but it seems to not like something about the created structure.

Any others have this problem?

A few things I noticed:

- completion message says to open the VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO file in my favorite media player, but there is no such file
- progress report shows "ERR: TOC cannot have titles" and "Finished with exit code 255!" towards the end - anyone know what these refer to?

Thanks, my template file is attached in a zip...
Please zip up the contents of the DVD base directory (don't include sub-directories) and upload it. That way I can see all the intermediate files boxmenu creates, and it'll give me an idea of how you've used it.

bhorstkotte
01-26-2006, 02:18 AM
Here's my zipped up dvd root files, thanks in advance for taking a look...

gfb107
01-28-2006, 12:39 PM
OK, I've figured out what's going on here. This is caused by a change in the version of dvdauthor bundled with TyTool.
The version bundled with TyTool9r18 works with boxmenu. The version bundled with TyTool10r4 does not.

I suggest you keep both versions of tytool installed. Use TyTool10r4 for everything, but point boxmenu at tytool9r18.

At some point in the future I may have time to figure out exactly what the issue is and fix it.

bhorstkotte
01-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Thanks for looking into it, its working now with TyTool9r18 as you suggested. Great tool by the way, thanks for sharing :-)

gfb107
01-28-2006, 04:40 PM
The other option is to stick with TyTool10r4, but after running boxmenu to generate everything, edit <dvd dir>\makemenu.bat, delete the text
-v "16:9" from the last line, and then run makemenu.bat.

gfb107
01-31-2006, 11:57 PM
There's a new version of boxmenu. Everything you need is in the first post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238315&postcount=1) of this thread.

gfb107
02-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Hmm. The newest version has been available for almost a week, and has been downloaded 13 times. Has anybody tried it? Any problems or successes?

gfb107
02-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Another week has gone by, it's been downloaded 11 more time (24 total), but still no feedback?

chester003
02-14-2006, 07:25 PM
I have not used any previous versions so I have nothing to compare it to.
I downloaded it about a week ago and spent two days of frustration getting nothing to work right.:confused: In desperation I deleted everything including tytool and reinstalled using the same versions from my hard drive. Since that time the program has been flawless.
Thanks for the great work.:)

bhorstkotte
02-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Hi gfb107 - I haven't tried the new version yet, but will do so this weekend - I've been fiddling with TWP, TyStreamer, and catching up on a backlog of tivo shows I wanted to archive to my media server (TyTool), so haven't done anything with DVDs of late.

Thanks for the nice tool! :)

bhorstkotte
02-25-2006, 04:58 PM
The new version works great, thanks gfb107! I installed it on my new server that only has 10r4 on it, and it worked fine. I did run into one crash, before I had installed DVDAuthorGUI - tried to do a preview, and it GPFed - but after I went back and um actually followed the installation instructions, it worked ;-)

bhorstkotte
02-28-2006, 01:56 AM
Actually I just noticed one thing - maybe its just me, but it seems that the height of the bounding box for the episode items is ignored - I tried making the episode items much taller, but the box highlight seems to stay the same height, somewhat shorter than the text in the box.

Edit: Hmm, just tried it again with a larger font, and it seemed to work OK - so maybe just a problem with smaller fonts (14 pt was problematic I think, 20 pt OK) or in combination with my particular video driver, dunno.

One other suggestion: would be nice to add an additional "text template" field character, say "f" for filename, which would be interpreted as "use the whole VOB filename, minus the 'VOB extension" - for cases where you have renamed your VOBs, or created them using a tool other than TyTool, so they don't follow TyTool.ini's naming convention. Currently, I have to rename such VOBs with filler for the missing fields, for example "x - The Show Name - x - x - x.VOB" - works, but inconvenient.

gfb107
02-28-2006, 01:23 PM
I've occasionally seen problems where the windows seems to return an incorrect height for the text, which is what boxmenu uses to figure out where to draw the top and bottom of the boxes.

Maybe I should just use the the actual cell outline as defined in the template file, and not attempt to fit the box to the text. Or I could give the user the choice.

Adding f for filename is a good idea, and really simple to do.

gfb107
03-22-2006, 02:35 PM
See the first post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238315&postcount=1) in this thread for a new version I just uploaded.

spaceman1013
05-30-2006, 06:30 PM
2 development questions:

1) Can the *.prjx file be opened in Visual Studio or does it require SharpDevelop?

2) What version of .NET is this based on? 1.1 or 2.0?

Glad to see it is a .NET app now. I may be more than tempted to help out with contributions now :)

gfb107
05-30-2006, 06:42 PM
2 development questions:

1) Can the *.prjx file be opened in Visual Studio or does it require SharpDevelop?I don't know. I've only ever user SharpDevelop.

2) What version of .NET is this based on? 1.1 or 2.0?1.1

spaceman1013
01-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Is anyone still using this app? I wanted to gauge how many are still using it as I was thinking of adding some updates to it. If you have some feature requests, then post them here.

I wanted to see if I can get it working with the latest DVDAuthor and use the XML for authoring rather than the command line. This will give me the ability to add play all and continuous play feature. Also wanted to add the ability to edit the generated title menu descriptions.

The big challenge will be seeing if later versions of DVDAuthor will accept the TyTool VOBs if not then the option may be to use the tool tytompg for the intial titles instead of VOBs.

If you are not using BoxMenu anymore, then let us know what you moved onto using. I am also looking into how good VideoReDo Suite is at creating DVDs from Tivo as they also have a templating feature.