PDA

View Full Version : Using eTivo on home videos

sacrophyte
10-23-2005, 11:32 PM
After recording a movie on my camcorder and downloading to my Tivo, eTivo is unable to find any descriptive information (ie, Title, Author, Channel, etc). Obviously, the "channel" is irrelevant, but I would think "title" would be obvious. This poses a problem when I have multiple home video clips stored in separate segments (and different "titles" in Tivo), but eTivo only works on one, thinking that they are all the same (unknown title, unknown author, etc). How do I get around this?

PS - I know, some of you are thinking, "Why not download directly from the camcorder to PC?" For starters, I do not have the appropriate hardware (no vid card with video capture, no pci slots to support such a vid card). Secondly, the problem poses a intriguing situation regardless of why I want to do it this way. :) Color me curious.

Masnark
10-25-2005, 03:22 AM
After recording a movie on my camcorder and downloading to my Tivo, eTivo is unable to find any descriptive information (ie, Title, Author, Channel, etc). Obviously, the "channel" is irrelevant, but I would think "title" would be obvious. This poses a problem when I have multiple home video clips stored in separate segments (and different "titles" in Tivo), but eTivo only works on one, thinking that they are all the same (unknown title, unknown author, etc). How do I get around this?

PS - I know, some of you are thinking, "Why not download directly from the camcorder to PC?" For starters, I do not have the appropriate hardware (no vid card with video capture, no pci slots to support such a vid card). Secondly, the problem poses a intriguing situation regardless of why I want to do it this way. :) Color me curious.

If the info is in the TiVo, and MfsFtp or TiVo To Go Exposes it, I should know how to use it. If not, I wont.

It also may be that it's exposed in a different way than I expect.

In any case, you can just edit the EtiVoInfo.xml and add the missing info in there, restart EtiVo and voila.

sacrophyte
10-25-2005, 07:59 AM
If the info is in the TiVo, and MfsFtp or TiVo To Go Exposes it, I should know how to use it. If not, I wont.

It also may be that it's exposed in a different way than I expect.

In any case, you can just edit the EtiVoInfo.xml and add the missing info in there, restart EtiVo and voila.

Tivo To Go lists the Title, Record date, duration, and approx size. I created a new EtiVoInfo.xml file from the sample you provided, but no luck. I tried to play with the signatures (under "Configuration"), but no luck. Is there a way to turn on a higher level of logging to decipher this?

Masnark
10-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Tivo To Go lists the Title, Record date, duration, and approx size. I created a new EtiVoInfo.xml file from the sample you provided, but no luck. I tried to play with the signatures (under "Configuration"), but no luck. Is there a way to turn on a higher level of logging to decipher this?

Hmm.

Not really sure. It may be that you can only do it 1-by-1 (until I make EtiVo understand how home-recordings look like). So, Transfer the show, update the EtiVoInfo.xml, restart etivo, requeue the next item.

You can add <logLevel>verbose</logLevel> to your Settings.XML (under the root node).

sacrophyte
10-25-2005, 01:20 PM
Hmm.

Not really sure. It may be that you can only do it 1-by-1 (until I make EtiVo understand how home-recordings look like). So, Transfer the show, update the EtiVoInfo.xml, restart etivo, requeue the next item.

You can add <logLevel>verbose</logLevel> to your Settings.XML (under the root node).
Thanks for the information. When you say "transfer the show", you mean Tivo To Go?

Brings up another question. Can I alter the "name" of a recording after eTivo gets it? For instance, lets say I have "home recording 1", which eTivo cannot distinguish from "home recording 2". eTivo gets "home recording 1" and things all other are done. Can I rename the saved directory for "home recording 1" and get the next one? Note that eTivo saves "home recording 1" as {[no title]}{01-01-0000].

Masnark
10-26-2005, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the information. When you say "transfer the show", you mean Tivo To Go?

Brings up another question. Can I alter the "name" of a recording after eTivo gets it? For instance, lets say I have "home recording 1", which eTivo cannot distinguish from "home recording 2". eTivo gets "home recording 1" and things all other are done. Can I rename the saved directory for "home recording 1" and get the next one? Note that eTivo saves "home recording 1" as {[no title]}{01-01-0000].

I guess I am being very unclear. Sorry about that.

1. Queue the un-named show on EtiVo and wait for EtiVo to do its thing.
2. All the other "shows" will now disapear because EtiVo cannot distinguish between shows that have the same signature.
3. Go to the directory created and edit the EtiVoInfo.xml file - it should be prety self-explanatory.
4. Save the file.
5. Restart EtiVo.
6. The other "unnamed" shows should now be visible to you (on top of the show that will now have a proper name, description etc).
7. Queue another show.
8. Goto 2.