PDA

View Full Version : Problem transfering tmf and ty files

petey256
10-28-2005, 12:04 PM
I have searched this error and have seen it but not the answer. I am running 6.2 hacked S2 DVR40 and am trying to download a tmf file to my pc for insertion to another tivo. I get o bytes transfered and two errors (FEAT and SIZE) I have search these but no answer. I just found out I can transfer a text file but no tmf or ty file. Can anyone help or point me to a post. Thanks

SmartFTP v1.5.990.26
Resolving host name "192.168.1.10"
Connecting to 192.168.1.10 Port: 3105
Connected to 192.168.1.10.
220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock22} from "192.168.1.50:1052"
USER anonymous
331 User name okay, need password.
PASS (hidden)
230 Running in TiVo Mode.
SYST
215 UNIX
FEAT
502 Command not implemented "FEAT"
TYPE I
200 Type set to I
REST 0
350 Restart okay, awaiting file request.
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
NOOP
200 Command okay.
CWD /tmf
250 Directory change successful.
PWD
257 "/tmf" is current directory.
SIZE {Over There}{2005-10-19}{Weapons of Mass Destruction}{09.00 PM Wed Oct 19, 2005}{FX}.tmf
502 Command not implemented "SIZE {Over There}{2005-10-19}{Weapons of Mass Destruction}{09.00 PM Wed Oct 19, 2005}{FX}.tmf"
PORT 192,168,1,50,4,29
200 PORT command successful.
RETR {Over There}{2005-10-19}{Weapons of Mass Destruction}{09.00 PM Wed Oct 19, 2005}{FX}.tmf
150 About to open data connection.
0 bytes transferred. (0 bytes/s) (721 ms)
Transfer failed.
Server closed connection

cheer
10-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Don't worry about the SYST and FEAT errors -- they're effectively meaningless.

Odds are some kind of firewall (on your PC perhaps...or if you're doing this from a remote location, could be your router or whatever) is blocking the "PORT" connection (which is inbound). The most common culprit is Windows XP SP2 (the Windows Firewall).

If you can't determine what's blocking, try just switching to PASV mode.

petey256
10-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the input. I can download txt files wouldnt the router block that also. Also I can use tytools and tserver and download ty files. I can also use windows ftp to move files back and forth between tivo and pc. Im thinking maybe a bad copy of mfs_ftp or the mfs_tarstream file or maybe I just dont know how to use smartftp. I was thinking of trying another like flash. I saw this exact same problem in the very last post of a 55 page thread with no answer.Thanks

petey256
10-29-2005, 12:34 PM
I tried my other computer which does not have SP2 or any firewalls with the same result. I am going to try to find another copy of mfs_ftp.Maybe I will try another ftp program too. Let you know what happens.

Jamie
10-29-2005, 12:51 PM
The first step to debugging mfs_ftp problems is to capture a level 5 server side log. Set info(dbl) to 5 at the top of the script (or is it in settings.tcl?) and restart mfs_ftp and rerun the transfer that fail. The log goes to a file called port3105.log. zip it up and post it with your problem report.

Just a wild guess, but I'm thinking you may not have the right mips_* support binaries installed. The original s2 versions are here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29459), although I recommend mine here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39487) instead.

petey256
10-30-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the help. The problem was the s2bins. I replaced them with yours and I can downlosd tmf's from s2 running 6.2 and s2 running 3.1.1e. I tried to upload it back to the tivo after I erased it on the tivo and couldnt do it to either. It drops the connection. I read a thread where you said to comment out all lines that start with event in the mfs_ftp.tcl file for 6.2 but do I need to do that if Iam running 3.1.1e? I get the same error on both.
It says the existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
81920 bytes transfered
Server closed connection
Transfer failed
Thanks

Jamie
10-30-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the help. The problem was the s2bins. I replaced them with yours and I can downlosd tmf's from s2 running 6.2 and s2 running 3.1.1e. I tried to upload it back to the tivo after I erased it on the tivo and couldnt do it to either. It drops the connection. I read a thread where you said to comment out all lines that start with event in the mfs_ftp.tcl file for 6.2 but do I need to do that if Iam running 3.1.1e? I get the same error on both.
It says the existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
...You really need to follow the "first step" advice above if you want further help.

AFAIK, mfs_ftp.tcl should work out of the box with 3.1.1e.

petey256
10-31-2005, 12:33 PM
Here is my 3105 log. Im not sure what you ment by level 5 side sever log. I changed info(dbl) from 0 to 5 in settings.tcl , tried an insert and ftpd the log file. When I looked at it it says broken pipe. I have serched this but found nothing that could help me. I have replaced the mfs_ftp.tcl ,s2bins with yours, commented out the event lines and it will not work. I can only download. I converted a tmf to mpeg and it played fine. I thought I would have to run tmftoty before tytools would convert it but it worked. Now if I can insert a tmf back I would be all set. The only reason I want to do this is because I am replaceing an expanded drive and want to save my recordings.

Jamie
10-31-2005, 12:43 PM
Here is my 3105 log. Im not sure what you ment by level 5 side sever log. I changed info(dbl) from 0 to 5 in settings.tcl , tried an insert and ftpd the log file. When I looked at it it says broken pipe. I have serched this but found nothing that could help me. I have replaced the mfs_ftp.tcl ,s2bins with yours, commented out the event lines and it will not work. I can only download. I converted a tmf to mpeg and it played fine. I thought I would have to run tmftoty before tytools would convert it but it worked. Now if I can insert a tmf back I would be all set. The only reason I want to do this is because I am replaceing an expanded drive and want to save my recordings.Your log shows: info(dbl): 0. That makes it a level 0 log, not a level 5 log. Try setting info(dbl) to 5 in mfs_ftp.tcl. Capture a fresh log and make sure it shows info(dbl): 5.

petey256
10-31-2005, 02:32 PM
I did change it but forgot to reboot. Here is the level five if Im doing this right.

Jamie
10-31-2005, 02:42 PM
I did change it but forgot to reboot. Here is the level five if Im doing this right.There's still not quite enough info there to fully see what's going on. It seems clear that it is failing when it trys to run mfs_stdinsert to insert the stream. Are you sure you have a working mfs_stdinsert installed in your mfs_ftp directory? Did you following these instructions? :
To use with the unpatched mfs_ftp, copy mfs_{export,import,stream,tarstream,uberexport} to your mfs_ftp directory and make a symlink from mfs_import to mfs_stdinsert. You'll have to use "ln -sf" when you create the symlink to replace the original mfs_stdinsert, if you didn't already move or remove it.

petey256
10-31-2005, 02:58 PM
I dont know what a symlink is or how to create it. That must be the problem, I hope. I did copy everything into the mfs_ftp directory. I have tried several copies of everything and they dont work including different pc's and tivos running different software. Would this also keep me from inserting tmf into a tivo running 3.1.1e? Thanks , I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.

Jamie
10-31-2005, 03:11 PM
symlink: shorthand for "symbolic link". Very roughly, the linux equivalent of a windows shortcut. reference (http://learn.clemsonlinux.org/wiki/Symlink).

Try googling on terms you don't understand. If you just skip over things you don't understand, you are sure to have problems.

petey256
10-31-2005, 03:11 PM
Did some quick reading and now know that symlink will cause anything referencing mfs_stdinsert to use mfs_import, is this correct? Is it a command I need to put in the mfs_stdinsert file to redirect to mfs_import? Thanks

petey256
10-31-2005, 04:18 PM
I read the link on symlink and know I need to make a symlink from mfs_import to mfs_stdinsert. Im guessing the command would be "ln -sf mfs_import mfs_stdinsert" the symlink said
"The basic idea is you create an entry on the file sytem to point to the real one"
My question is, does this go in the mfs_ftp directory or in the mfs_stdinsert file itself? Thanks

Jamie
10-31-2005, 04:21 PM
I read the link on symlink and know I need to make a symlink from mfs_import to mfs_stdinsert. Im guessing the command would be "ln -sf mfs_import mfs_stdinsert" the symlink said
"The basic idea is you create an entry on the file sytem to point to the real one"
My question is, does this go in the mfs_ftp directory or in the mfs_stdinsert file itself? Thankscd to the mfs_ftp dir and run the ln command. That creates the link.

petey256
10-31-2005, 04:33 PM
Thank you very much. I have been working on this for a while and was about to give up and try another approach to transfer video to another drive. Now I can move video between tivos and pc. Thanks again. I have read numerous posts from you and know you have helped alot of people achieve their goals. I know you have worked hard on alot of these problems. Im sure everyone including myself really appreciates all that you, and everyone else who have contributed to this database have done.Thanks again

petey256
11-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Everything works fine on the 6.2 tivo but the 3.1.1e will not let me download any files. I get "broken pipechild process exited abnormally". from what I have read this is a sign of bad binaries. I have recopied them in and still does not work. i uninstalled everything and reinstalled everything including removing the s1 binaries before copying s2binaries instead of coping over. same error. Tried passive mode, active mode, ala mode, no luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Is there a difference installing mfs_ftp to 3.1.1e vs 6.2. I was so happy for a short time and I want to be happy again. Can anyone help? Also this is a sleepered tivo and looking at the 3105 log file it looks like it might be asking for a password. I will copy the log file and post it.Thanks

Jamie
11-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Can anyone help?The goal should not be to just solve this problem, but instead to develop the troubleshooting skills so you can solve problems like this yourself next time.

Did you learn any new troubleshooting techniques in the last round?

petey256
11-01-2005, 12:55 PM
I learned how to get a level 5 side server log although I dont understand alot of it. When I read the level 5 log I dont get anything out of it exceptthe broken pipechild and as I understand this it points to a binary problem. I installed your binaries one by one in the binary mode for each and did a chmod 755 on them. Im missing something and dont know what.I have learned alot about linux compared to what I knew which was nothing. But as far as troubleshooting, if I see an error and when I dont know what it is then I do a search to see if anyone else has had this problem and what the solution is. But alot of times the thread ends and the person didnt say what they did. Also when I google this it brings me back to this database and points to the binaries. Im useing the same ones I did for the 6.2. Thanks

Jamie
11-01-2005, 06:42 PM
I learned how to get a level 5 side server log although I dont understand alot of it.Think of the log file as breadcrumbs left behind as the mfs_ftp.tcl code runs. By reading the log file and the mfs_ftp.tcl code together, you can retrace the path the code took.

It still looks to me like mfs_stdinsert is failing. It's probably writing an error message to stderr. As far as I can tell, stderr isn't redirected, so it may be coming out on your console. Do you see anything on the serial console when the error happens?

You might try running the mfs_stdinsert binary by hand. With no arguments, it should print usage information. If you get an error message, it may help you diagnosis an installation problem.

petey256
11-02-2005, 09:40 PM
After reading your previous post while at work last evening I decided that when I got home I would erase everything and reinstall mfs_ftp and the binaries. When I got home I decided to try it one more time. It worked. I have no idea why it worked. I changed the connection from clear to private. I donít know if it had anything to do with it or not. I can download a tmf to my pc, erase it on the s2 directivo running 3.1.1e sleepered,and then upload from the pc back to the tivo and it works.I can do the same thing on my s2 directivo running 6.2 hacked, not sleepered. I can upload a tmf originally from the 6.2 to the 3.1.1e and it works. But when I try to upload a tmf to the 6.2 originally from the 3.1.1e it will not play.I can watch the show while it uploads but after it is done it wonít play it says it couldn't record this show maybe there was no video signal on that channel. I ran stdinsert on both tivos (./mfs_stdinsert) and get no errors. The 3.1 tivo said the default was stderr and the 6.2 said the default was stdin.I donít know which tivo has the problem because they can both download and upload their own tmf's. I donít see any errors on the console during the uploads or downloads. Have you ever seen this?
Thanks

Jamie
11-02-2005, 10:32 PM
But when I try to upload a tmf to the 6.2 originally from the 3.1.1e it will not play.I can watch the show while it uploads but after it is done it wonít play it says it couldn't record this show maybe there was no video signal on that channel.This is a well known issue with the kmem noscramble kernel patch that tivoscripts (aka sleeper) installs. See the second post in this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31213) thread, paying particular attention to the "For the rest of you" section.

I'd strongly advise you to unsleeper that box, migrate it to 6.2, and hack it the way your other box is hacked.

esayre
11-03-2005, 09:07 PM
I have dug through this thread over and over trying to solve a similar problem.

When trying to insert a file using SmartFTP I get a "Connection Forcibly Closed by Server" error.

I have removed mfs_ftp and reinstalled. Obviously installed S2 binaries and mfs_modified files.

Commented out the event lines.

I just can't get a file to insert.

I am sure I am close just need a little push.

Here is my log.

Jamie
11-04-2005, 12:35 AM
Here is my log.Please post a level 5 log.

Just guessing, but it looks like all your failed connections were passive mode connections. Try turning off passive mode in your client.

esayre
11-04-2005, 12:48 AM
Perfect! Thanks for the hint.

petey256
11-04-2005, 02:09 AM
I read the posts and ran ciphercheck. The cso keys are set for the programs I cant play. I tried running csoscout and it is not working. I put mfs_export in a path statement in the rc.sysinit.author file. PATH=$PATH:/var/mfs_ftp/mfs_export and Im not sure about cat. But I can run the cat command on a file to see its content, if thats the same cat then it must be in my path somewhere. When I run csoscout.tcl I get
"Cleaning CSO keys for non encrytped streams...couldnt open /tmp/scrambletest no such file or directory. Telnet readout attached. When I run ciphercheck again the cso keys are still set. I must be doing something wrong. I have serched cat,path,csoscout, the only thing I found helpful was a post by jamie saying mfs_export creates the scrambletest file so it must be in the path statement which it is. Im stuck at this point. Can you help, hint, point?

Jamie
11-04-2005, 05:45 AM
I put mfs_export in a path statement in the rc.sysinit.author file. ...The PATH environment variable is a list of directories. [reference (http://www.linux.ie/newusers/beginners-linux-guide/exe-path.php)]

petey256
11-04-2005, 05:18 PM
I read the linux page and searched for the profile but I dont believe there is one, so I reread the page and put csoscout into the directory with mfs_export and it worked perfect. I had rebooted the tivo with 3.1.1e to get it to recognize the usb adapter as I only have one and must use it on both tivos. Went to start mfs_ftp and it was gone alog with the binaries. Var was wiped of everything I put in there. I put mfs_ftp back but decided to unsleeper the tivo and change the boot parms to say upgradesoftware=false. I rebooted and it still wiped out mfs_ftp. I reinstalled it again along with the binaries and decided to get my vides off and then wipe the drive and reinstall 6.2. I got everything reinstalled and now I cant download Im back to the broken pipe thing. However I can upload to it. Unfortunatly I need to go the other way. tried every setting but Im stuck. I never figured it out the first time it just started working. I ran stdinsert and dont see any errors. I dont know maybe I need a break. Been trying to fix it all day with no luck. Thanks for the help

petey256
11-05-2005, 10:34 AM
I came home from work and I couldnt down load. I decided to stop mfs_ftp and restart it so I typed kill 214. I got a telnet message saying lost connection and could not telnet or ftp. I had to reboot my system and to my surprise everything was still there. I chmod 755 just about everything in the folder and started mfs_ftp and it did not work. I typed mount -o remount,rw / because I was going to do something(cant remember). But it started downloading the last file I tried. it has been working since and I have downloaded 14 shows so far. I dont know what Im doing but it works. When Im done I may manually upgrade this drive just for the practice but sleeper 3.1.1e will be gone. I dont know enough to really help anyone else or I would. I hope this thread can help other people having problems like this. Thanks Jamie for all your help.

1dave1
11-24-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm not 100% sure if this is the correct thread but I believe so, I searched but could not find the solution else where.

Equipment: 2- DTivos (DSR 704 & 7000)
Options: All hacks working including TServer, MFSFTP, Tivowebplus, Superpatch ect.

I have a folder showing in NOW PLAYING on each DTivo but the message below is show when that DTivo is selected:

DVR DTIVOB

Programs cannot be transfered from the DTIVOA DVR to the DTIVOB DVR because the DTIVOA DVR does not yet recognize the DTIVOB DVR.

Have you purchased Home Media Option for both DVR's? If so, try connecting to the DVR service from each DVR. If not go to bla bla bla.

eastwind
11-24-2005, 03:19 PM
I'm not 100% sure if this is the correct thread but I believe so, I searched but could not find the solution else where.

Equipment: 2- DTivos (DSR 704 & 7000)
Options: All hacks working including TServer, MFSFTP, Tivowebplus, Superpatch ect.

I have a folder showing in NOW PLAYING on each DTivo but the message below is show when that DTivo is selected:
Have you run set_mrv_name_67.tcl on both units?
Have either or both been allowed to make a phone call since running superpatch-67all-Nutkase.tcl?
How does your network work? (details)

ew

1dave1
11-24-2005, 03:53 PM
Found the error, set_mrv wouldnt "hold" after rebooting. Found an error in the rc.sysinit.author file. Thanks.
Thanks for the responce! After reading your post I decided to look at the .author file.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!