PDA

View Full Version : Series 1 TIVO files to IPOD

niksimpson
10-30-2005, 09:18 AM
I've tried a number of things including QuickTime Pro, Nero Recode and they all crap out producing files that will play on the new IPOD. Has anybody had any luck yet converting files to the ipod format, if so what's your secret?

scstivo
10-30-2005, 06:02 PM
I have no problems, I use tytools to create an .mpg file then I tried 2 different programs. The first PSPVideo9 from www.pspvideo9.com, no setting to fool with but it seemed slow and the second Nero 6 Nerovision express (I used the PSP profile). I had no problem with either. The key is to produce an MPEG 4 < 768 video and less than 160 audio. The PSP profile with Nero worked the best. I am actually quite impressed with the 2.5" display on the Ipod Video.

TexARC
12-04-2005, 11:47 PM
scstivo - what is the/a PSP profile? Thanks...

+Demo
12-08-2005, 02:07 PM
I am intrested also.

Roger Dylan
12-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Has anybody had any luck yet converting files to the ipod format

Tivotool is probably the simplest, most straightforward way.

+Demo
12-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Is there on that works on a PC? I got it to work that way described above .
Thanks

TexARC
12-09-2005, 04:26 PM
I used to have a small program I had found for free on the net perhaps two years ago, that let me copy a DVD onto my hard drive. It might even have been a codec that Nero accepted, that enabled me to copy from a copyright-protected DVD. Since I own the DVD (blue man group), I'd like to copy it to my IPOD. But I've rebuilt that PC's OS and drives and don't remember the name of the program. :(
Anyone remember what it might have been called or where the utility is downloadable from?

Iago
12-09-2005, 04:39 PM
I used to have a small program I had found for free on the net perhaps two years ago, that let me copy a DVD onto my hard drive.

Likely DVDShrink

TexARC
12-09-2005, 05:20 PM
never mind. (Thanks, Iago - just saw your post)
AnyDVD enables Nero to do what I want it to. cool.
:)

scstivo
12-11-2005, 12:08 PM
scstivo - what is the/a PSP profile? Thanks...

Sorry for the delayed response. I use the NeroVision Express 3 application (part of Nero 6), add my .mpg video file, export it using Nero Digital template, then pick the Memory Stick Video (PSP Compatible) profile. Once exported to .mp4 file, I imported into iTunes...

I now have thread notify turned on!

TexARC
12-12-2005, 09:42 AM
... export it using Nero Digital template, then pick the Memory Stick Video (PSP Compatible) profile. I do not see the memory stick video (PSP Compatible) profile in my Nero Express. I have the latest version. Are these two steps in the right order? :baffled:

scstivo
12-12-2005, 10:49 AM
It is on the NeroVision Express 3 Export Video screen. Here is a screen print of it.

scstivo
12-13-2005, 09:43 PM
I created a tutorial using screen prints for NeroVision Express 3. This tutorial shows how to create iPod compatible video files.

iPod video creation tutorial (http://www.mydigitallife.us/2006/01/creating_a_comp.html)

soulax
12-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Just got my ipod video yesterday.
Im using mfs_ftp to grab files from my tivo (I just FTP to my tivo, but recently i switched to using ETivo).

Im using the DiVX archiving plugin for ETivo. It archives my recordings as DiVX files on my PC, then im using a program called IAMToo Ipod Video Creator. In IMToo ill queue up a bunch of DiVX files from my PC hit encode and a few hours later i have a dir full of mp4's. (Then i dump the videos into Itunes and sync up the ipod --yes i've only done this once so far!)

Ideally id like to get an ETivo plugin that trascodes to Ipod video format, and even better still an app that would auto dump the files onto my docked Ipod every night.

(IMToo works well with ripped DVDs and VCDs as well)

I bought the AV cable for the Ipod, and watching the Tivo -> DivX -> Ipod videos on a TV is enjoyable.

propman07
12-23-2005, 02:40 PM
I've been using Videora for a short time, and it seems to work well. Give it a try.

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/

(did I mention that it's free?)

TexARC
12-26-2005, 01:33 AM
I got this working by:
Getting the latest (last month's) Nero Update and
(perhaps most especially)
the content update for Express III from the NERO website. Only then was the Nero Digital "there" as an option for export, and ditto for the PSP option.
THANK YOU very much for your hep - much obliged!

Cue
12-30-2005, 01:56 PM
I am doing the Tivo -> Ipod with the following steps:

1) Extract shows from Tivo to Windows PC with Tytool
2) Encode shows from .ty to .vob with Tytool
3) Encode shows from .vob to mpeg4 with Videora Ipod Converter

It works great and sure it would be nice to have a one click convert but this will do for now.

Also a note to future readers, if you are getting an error message that Tytool cannot find the first 10 chunks then your streams are still encrypted. You will need to run the superpatch which enables the recording of unencrypted streams (current shows will still be encrypted, but future will be ok).

Pauldy
01-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Anyone have setting/flag(s) to convert from the ty files downloaded with msf_ftp to ipod video using ffmpeg? This seems like it would be the optimal solution to automate the process. I have tried it but I seem to be hung up on deinterlacing the video as the playable video I'm left with right now has horrible artifacting although audio seems fine.

cheer
01-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Just got my ipod video yesterday.
Ideally id like to get an ETivo plugin that trascodes to Ipod video format, and even better still an app that would auto dump the files onto my docked Ipod every night.
There is one -- look here. (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46049) I haven't tried it yet -- just got our first iPod (for my wife; mine will have to wait a few weeks). Right now I'm just trying:

Download with TyTool
Edit commercials out with TyTool and mux to MPG
Convert to mp4 using Videora iPod Converter

I spent about 60 seconds looking at the Videora forums and it looks like it's basically just a GUI front-end for ffmpeg. I'll poke around and try manually encoding with ffmpeg -- if that works, then batching this stuff up should be a breeze.