PDA

View Full Version : Tserver / tzoffset & Daylight savings.

dribble68
11-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Hi there.

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I have searched and can't find any direct answer.

I have tserver running on my UK Thompson Tivo, and all was working perfectly until the hour went back last week. Now when I try and refresh the 'Now Showing' list in Tytools, the telnet prompt reports:

syntax error in expression "*60*60"
while executing
"expr $tz*60*60"
(procedure "get_tzoffset" line 31)
invoked from within
"get_tzoffset $setuptz $daylightsavings"
(procedure "init_db" line 54)
invoked from within
"init_db"
(file "/var/hack/TyTool/NowShowing.tcl" line 480)
Waiting for an incoming connection!

Now from searching, I can see that this is due to tzoffset not being able to report the time difference correctly? It has to give a result of '0', or something like that? I understand that the UK Tivos are only effected by this.

Question is, how to I modify this? I am no programmer, so don't know how to manually set the time difference, or how to change nowshowing.tcl, so that it comes up with the correct result ? Any pointers anyone ?

Many thanks

David.

Jamie
11-03-2005, 05:30 PM
I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I have searched and can't find any direct answer.Try using the tserver here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39487). It doesn't need an exterrnal NowShowing.tcl script. I'm not certain if it does the right thing when the local time zone == UTC, but if it doesn't, I'll fix it.

dribble68
11-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the information. I am sorry, but my 'comfort level' with unix/linux is not very good. Can you give me some info on the commands needed to extract these files, and where I should be looking to extract them to ?

Once I have got that 'cracked', I think I'll be able to 'muddle' through with the rest of it.

Cheers

David

mrdizzy
11-05-2005, 06:19 AM
Hope I can help here (from UK). Download the "ppc" (series 1) file (mfs-utils_bin.ppc-20050604.tar.bz2). I used winrar to extract the files on the PC.

Next, ftp the mfs-utils\bin.ppc\tserver file to the tivo. I put mine in /var/hack/tytool in the normal way. Check that it is executable on the tivo. (From a telnet prompt , "chmod 755 tserver").

Now you need to change the "execute string" in tytool. This is used to start and stop tserver via tytool. It was "/var/hack/tytool/tserver -s /var/hack/tytool/NowShowing.tcl" and it needs to change to "/var/hack/tytool/tserver".

That should be it. I must confess until today I was using my own fixed "NowShowing.tcl" with all the timezone fixes cobbled together over the years.

I see from the other thread (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=220466&postcount=7) that there was a change to support UK during our British Summer Time. We're now back on GMT (sometimes called UTC) and my Now Playing list looks correct also which is great! I have one show from 23:00 last night which appears as "11/4" in tyool and another from 00:30 which appears as "11/5", both correct.

Jamie
11-05-2005, 11:56 AM
I see from the other thread (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=220466&postcount=7) that there was a change to support UK during our British Summer Time. We're now back on GMT (sometimes called UTC) and my Now Playing list looks correct also which is great! I have one show from 23:00 last night which appears as "11/4" in tyool and another from 00:30 which appears as "11/5", both correct.It's still not really right. If you look at shows recorded before the time change, their times will be off by an hour. The issue is that the code uses a fixed tzoffset based on the current date, rather than computing the offset for the specific time it is converting. The latest TWP does this right, but mfs_ftp, NowShowing.tcl and other code has done this wrong for a long time. Maybe I'll fix it in mfs-utils eventually, but it's a minor cosmetic bug, so it isn't a high priority.

mrdizzy
11-05-2005, 01:33 PM
True. And it is cosmetic as you say. Most of us UK-ers still use TW1.9.4 Final anyway, as TWP uses more resources and doesn't add much that we can use on our series ones.

LaupSavea
11-12-2005, 06:12 AM
Thanks MrDizzy, your post really helped get me sorted.

douglamb
11-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Thanks also MrDizzy and Jamie - I had the exact same problem last night being the first time I'd connected to TiVo since the clock change - your "fix" was spot on!
Cheers, Doug

keepitfrozen
12-02-2005, 02:18 AM
Ok, i'm loosing it because i've done everything you guys have said here but when i try to connect i get the following:

Telneting to the TIVO...
Connecting to '192.168.1.104'
Connected...
We got 'bash-2.02# ' which is the prompt!
bash-2.02# /var/hack/tytools/tserver
./NowShowing.tcl: No such file or directory
bash-2.02#
bash-2.02#

My head hurts..

Any ideas would be wonderful.

Thanks

Mark

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out with some more searching and reading Jamie's thread a little more..

thanks Jamie for your files.

Mark