PDA

View Full Version : USB Network Adapter

dingo925
11-16-2005, 03:17 AM
I bought the D Link D-E100 Network Adapter and installed network driver AX8817X. Unfortunately, my network adapter will not power up. What am I doing wrong? How do I get my network adapter to work so that I can network my DirecTivo to my computer?

Narf54321
11-17-2005, 12:50 PM
There could be a number of issues. I know Linksys changed the 'guts' of the vernerable USB200M so its now a pain to deal with. I don't know if DLink has changed their hardware or not.

Also, it might help to know what kind of TiVo you have. As I understand, the DTivos need the activate the USB ports before you can use them.

dingo925
11-19-2005, 03:31 AM
Thanks for your input, but I still need help. The DirecTivo receiver that I have is the DirecTV Hughes Tivo HDVR2 DVR Receiver. As mentioned in the last posting, the problem that I think I have is that I don't know how to activate the USB ports on my DirecTivo receiver. PLEASE HELP.

Narf54321
11-19-2005, 02:13 PM
You're not providing much info to go on. Okay we've established you have a DirecTV Hughes Tivo HDVR2. That's still not much to go on. What software rev are you running?

In addition, I can't find anything from D-Link called D-E100. There's a DEC D-E100 but it uses a totally different driver. There is D-Link DUB-E100, is that what you have? There are at least 3 revisions of this hardware (i.e. erv A2, rev A3). A lot of us use Linksys USB200M, but they've also changed the guts, so you have to get fiddly with picking your drivers. Small details can make a big difference.

So, what system software does your TiVo run, what actual hacks have you done, and what USB network adapter are you actually using?

dingo925
11-20-2005, 01:00 PM
THANK YOU AGAIN FOR HELPING ME!

The USB network adapter that I'm using is the D-Link DUB-E100 (I couldn't figure out how to determine which rev. of the hardware I have. Since I bought it this week, I would imagine it is the latest rev.)

My TiVo runs software version 6.2-01-2-151.

I used the Sleeper disk to upgrade to a 200 gigabyte drive and I installed all of the modifications offered by the Monte script. Thankfully, the upgrade to a bigger drive works great, although I haven't been able to figure out how to implement Large Drive Support (LBA48). Maybe the Sleeper disk doesn't offer this type of modification. If it doesn't I would be interested in learning how to implement this type of support.

Please let me know if there is any other information that I need to provide to you.

Thanks again.

Narf54321
11-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Well, something to try is the standard usbnet.o driver instead of ax8817x.o. It has a lot of devices supported.

The other thing is that sleeper is waaaay deprecated, makes a wierd partition structure, and as you found out doesn't support Large Hard Drives. The Sleeper disc also doesn't help you learn anything about hacking your tivo. Its much better to do all the steps yourself, because then you have the experience to fall back on when things don't work (such as finicky network adapters). Replacing the monte'd kernel with a LBA48-aware kernel will help. The PTVupgrade LBA48 kernel seems to be pretty popular.

You're might not getting the full space out of your drive right now. At this point it may be worthwhile pulling the drive and starting over with your original backed up image, otherwise you'll need to futz around a lot with pdisk or try and hope mfsadd can run in place (once you have a LBA48 kernel running on your tivo). System 6.2 should have a LBA48 kernel running on your boot partition, but with Sleeper you've probably got a wierd monte setup. The HDVR2 should support a killhdinitrd'ed kernel.

Be sure to boot your PC with a LBA48-aware Linux CD. PTVupgrade also sells a $5 downloadable LBA48 bootable CD image, which has mfstools and most of the useful things you need to much around your tivo hard drive in a PC.

dingo925
11-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Thank you for your suggestion. I reloaded my 6.2 image and used the PTVupgrade. Unfortunately, I can't get past step M. Each time I try to telnet into my DirecTivo, I receive the following message: 'Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed". Do you know what might be causing this problem?

Gunnyman
11-25-2005, 09:54 AM
the zipper automatically detects when you post about it here and exacts its vengance upon you.

Narf54321
11-25-2005, 10:52 PM
I'm not sure anyone here on these boards would even know what is "Step M". Blindly following a guide is the best way to get stuck and not know what is actually happening on your TiVo.

It still sounds like your Hughes HDVR2 doesn't like that particular adapter. Can you get a serial cable and get console access (and error messages)? Or, you could try another USB network adapter... you could try calling tivo and say you want to buy a usb adapter "for a friend" or something. My dad was able to order one from Tivo, Inc. a couple months ago.