PDA

View Full Version : Dtivo to DVD process

woltnj
11-16-2005, 11:42 PM
I have been reading many threads over the past few weeks and have not found a good answer to my problem. I have been using Tytools with my Dtivo and been able to pull off video which looks fine in all my PC players. As soon as I cut comercials and burn it to DVD using DVD Architect, the audio gets out of sync. I have been trying by trial and error and 20 wasted DVDs to get the right process and setting for doing this.

I have been able to successfully get a DVD made using Ulead VD Movie Factory but any time I have motion there is blur or jitter, but the audio is fine.

I know everyone says to use Tytools to author the DVDs but I want animated buttons and motion menus.

Here is my process.

Tytool to make the Mpeg with the Ulead Audio option set
Videoredo to cut commercials and quickfix the stream
Ulead DVD Movie Factory or DVD Architect to Author
Output
audio is fine in DVD Movie Factory but jittery and DVD architect has audio sync problems.

My question to everyone is:

What are the optimal settings for Tytool and VideoRedo to get the right audio out for DVD Architect or stop the Video motion jitter in DVD Movie Factory.

Thanks.

Waruwaru
11-17-2005, 04:23 AM
Just a thought. Not sure if your software supports it, but if you can get your software to output vobs+ifos, or in .iso format, then you can check the disk using a software DVD player (like PowerDVD or WinDVD), then you can check the audio before you burn and waste disks. Or burn with DVD-RW.

captain_video
11-17-2005, 09:20 AM
IIRC the Ulead DVD authoring tools require that you patch the video headers as the program doesn't accept non-standard DVD formats (i.e. 480x480 vs. 720x480). The latest versions may have corrected that but I haven't used them since I switched over to DVD-Lab. I'd highly recommend that you give DVD-Lab a try instead of the tools you mentioned. It works especially well with tympegs and will accept the 480x480 format files with no problems. I've never had any audio synch issues with DVD-Lab and DTivo files.

Narf54321
11-17-2005, 12:34 PM
As soon as I cut comercials and burn it to DVD using DVD Architect, the audio gets out of sync.

I have been able to successfully get a DVD made using Ulead VD Movie Factory but any time I have motion there is blur or jitter, but the audio is fine.

That's because I'm 99% sure that the Ulead program re-encodes the entire video, and you get the horrendous results. I gave up trying to use Ulead for anything. I have an MPEG2 videocam (Panasonic SVAV100) which records standard but less common 704x480 MPEG2 and Ulead *still* wanted to re-encode. Ulead also likes to install a nasty "preview" control on Windows systems which crashed my system on half the videofiles I happened to click the mouse cursor upon. It made the simple idea of copying deom one directory to another impossible.

I know everyone says to use Tytools to author the DVDs but I want animated buttons and motion menus.

Well, you have to realize this is a heavily hobbiest pasttime. Not too many completely polished tools.

I believe the reason for your audio issues is that at 480x480 the video stream plays back 'sooner' or 'faster' than the authoring software calculated based upon a 720x480 size. So, the audio lags, or gets 'clipped' (jittery) every so often to stay with the video.

I don't know about Optimal Settings, but I did have a lot of trouble with Ulead because it always wants to re-encode any kind of video into something it itself likes.

woltnj
11-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I gave up on using the Ulead and DVD Architect stuff based on your feed back and I tried using DVD-Lab. I thought about doing it a couple weeks ago but it seemed like too much work to get DVD lab then the Mpeg encoder then the DVD burner. But it is well worth it. The best part about DVD-lab is it does not do any transcoding and I can make motion buttons like I want to.

Thanks again.