PDA

View Full Version : From Tivo to Authored DVD - My method

charlesml3
11-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Hi gang,

There are lots of ways to do this so I'm going to list mine here. It's probably not the quickest way, but I've found that it creates DVDs that are very compatible with home and PC based DVD players. I've never had any trouble with one since I started using this method.

Some things I've learned:

-Make sure you have some DVD+RW media around. When you're first starting out, you WILL make mistakes and it's nice to be able to reuse these disks. A menu that looks great on your PC might not be so great on your 58" Widescreen.

-Don't buy cheap media. Bargain blank DVDs are going to cause you more grief than the money they save. I use the HP 740 LightScribe writer so I usually buy HP media.

-You can't test too much. Always make sure that your .MPG files will play on your computer before going on to the next step.

-Read the manuals for your software. Especially the DVD authoring packages. There is a LOT to learn about it and reading through the entire doc one time will really help. Don't worry about not remembering everything. When you come across something you want to do, you'll remember you saw it in the doc. Use it for reference at that point.

Feel free to comment!

1) Extract the .TY file to the PC with TyTool9R18.
2) Process the file (Multiplex) with TyTool9r18 to create a .MPG file. Make sure this file will play on your PC.

At this point, I really don't need the .TY file around anymore but I keep it until the project is finished. It takes a while to pull it down from the Tivo again.

3) I use TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress to trim out the parts I don't want. I use the Tivo hack to pad the recording by 3 minutes front and back so there's always some of that I need to cut. Once the cutting is done, save the resulting file out to a new .MPG file. Play this file on your PC to make sure it works and you cut everything you wanted.

4) I use TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress to re-encode the file created in Step 3. YES, I know this is not absolutely necessary, but I do it for two reasons. First, I like it when I drop the file into DVD-Lab Studio and it doesn't even peep about it. Second, I've found that if I re-encode everything, I wind up with DVDs that will play on every player I have (and my friends as well). This takes a LONG time to process. I usually reserve these operations to overnight or while I'm at work.

5) TMPGEnc will create a new .MPG file. Technically, the one from step 2 can be deleted but you might want to keep it around a bit longer. Once it's done, make sure the resulting .MPG file will play on your PC.

6) I then pull the new .MPG file into DVD-Lab Studio. Let it de-multiplex the audio and video into separate streams. This will create two new files (a .MPV file for the video and a .MPA file (Dolby Surround) or .AC3 (Dolby Digital)) for the audio. DVD-Lab has a learning curve but it is incredibly powerful. I create all of my menus, chapters and screens with it. Once all of that is done, I compile it. It will create the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders.

7) I then use Nero to burn the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS files to DVD. I always burn to DVD+RW first and test it on every DVD player I have. Test your menus. Have someone else test your menus and make sure they're intuative.

8) I also use Nero to create the tray inserts and back insert for the DVD. There are lots of packages out there to do that.

That's about it. A long process but it's pretty fun and rewarding when you take your time and get it right.

-Charles

mrdizzy
11-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Feel free to comment!

My only comment is that if you use TyTool to create the DVD from start to finish, it is a very short process (not a long difficult one like yours). It also gives a higher quality result - the highest possible quality because there is no re-encoding of the video.

Narf54321
11-21-2005, 04:27 PM
I use TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress to trim out the parts I don't want.

I'd point out that TyTool allows you to trim out pieces as well (i.e. a Cut list), and I've gotten pretty quick with the kids' cartoons -- each about 30 minutes.

I'd also like to spend my two cents for others on the forum that I am woefully disappointed in TMPGEnc 3.0 Xpress, before anyone else wastes their money on it. It seems such a shame that such a powerhouse encoder utility has become this un-friendly piece of junk. Aside from many usability quibbles Their ad material makes it look like you can just drop any kind of playable file on it and convert, but it just isn't so. And the internet re-authenticating for AC3 audio makes me, as a paying customer, feel that I don't actually own it and somehow I'm a criminal.

So in short, use TyTool but to anyone who hasn't fallen for it, don't buy TMPGEnc Xpress.

charlesml3
11-21-2005, 11:20 PM
MrDizzy,

Yea, you're absolutely right. It's simpler to do it all with TyTools but I just can't get DVDs created that way to play on everything. There was always some issue with one player or another. I'm pretty sure it was because the encoding was not completely complient with the DVD standard. Since I started using TMPGEnc, I just don't have those issues anymore.

If I were only playing them on my Home Theater DVD player, I would just stick with TyTools.

Thanks!

-Charles

captain_video
11-22-2005, 09:15 PM
Next time try VideoReDo instead of TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress to edit your tympegs. You'll find it to be a much better editing and processing tool. Other than that, your process is pretty much textbook as used by the vast majority of members here and has probably been posted a few dozen times previously.

quixand
11-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Good post. Very imformative and well written.

Though I do find Tytools to be much quicker. I can't attest to the quality being any better, cause I never did it your way, but...I digress.

Good work.

charlesml3
11-23-2005, 12:34 AM
Hi gang,

Thanks for the feedback. I used VideoReDo for a while but couldn't persuade it to understand my Dolby Digital track. I'm sure there's a way but it kept saying there was no audio track at all.

Once I found TMPGEnc and added in the AC-3 plugin all was well. I know there are lots of good tools out there. Probably some better than the ones I'm using but these do work.

I came here looking for a good, SIMPLE "How To" and found the information spread across a dozen or more threads. I thought it might be good to have one thread that covers the basics.

Thanks again!

-Charles