PDA

View Full Version : XBOX-Recall on power cords.

Sweetpea
11-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Some cords may be a fire hazard!!!!

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/powercordreplacement.htm

Fill in your information.

rejemy
11-29-2005, 08:32 PM
Um, this is really old news

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+recalls+Xbox+power+cords/2100-1043_3-5580586.html

Narf54321
11-30-2005, 11:57 PM
The really amusing thing, or perhaps scary is the better word, is that it isn't the power cord. As you know the PSUs are inside the giant and heavy Xbox case, and some have been found to be a potential fire hazard if the solder points loosen and short (or something of that sort).

The 'new' power cords don't actually solve the problem, they simply have fuse-links in them which blow if the electrical short is somehow triggered, preventing power from getting into the faulty PSU.

Notice how Microsoft is not actually offering to fix the real issue -- dodgy PSUs inside the Xbox console. Scary indeed. (Especially with the PSU problems reported with the new Xbox 360. Will they ever learn?)

vu2vu
12-06-2005, 07:11 PM
After reading this post I took a look at my xbox power cable and wonder how they could screw it up. Its just a standard off the shelf cable. Very sneaky of microsoft to add a inline fuse and declare the cable bad instead of the entire xbox..

The 'new' power cords don't actually solve the problem, they simply have fuse-links in them which blow if the electrical short is somehow triggered, preventing power from getting into the faulty PSU.

BeagleBoy
12-09-2005, 01:20 AM
After reading this post I took a look at my xbox power cable and wonder how they could screw it up. Its just a standard off the shelf cable. Very sneaky of microsoft to add a inline fuse and declare the cable bad instead of the entire xbox..Actually, they give you a cord with an arc-fault interrupt built in. Expensive cord, but cheaper than recalling the boxes to swap PS's. If a broken joint arcs, it trips a breaker on the cord.

As was mentioned, some of the early power supplies had cord sockets attached to the circuit board via the solder joints only (no other mounting). :eek: If you regularly plug and unplug the cord from the xbox, it tends to break the joints.

-Jim