PDA

View Full Version : Noise, Artifacts in show causes extraction errors

sabotage79
11-22-2005, 12:18 PM
I've been using TivoTool for the Mac for several months, and recently I've been having trouble every now and then with extracting tv shows - it seems totally random, and I think i've narrowed it down to an issue with the singal itself.

Have you ever seen those artifacts occasionally in the picture, where it distorts the picture for just a second or two, then things are back to normal? Well, I think these hickups in the recorded show are causing vsplit to be unable to complete the file - I can use hdemux, but when it gets to that point in the show, the audio is out of sync from that point on.

Anyone have any clues? Is this a hardware issue? I don't have a tv hooked to the unit, but i'm willing to bet that if I played the show on the tivo itself, it would display that exact same issue - and no matter how many times I try to extract the show, its always in the same spot that it goofs up for a second, with the artifacts. So like I said, I think its in the ty file itself.

Could it be the harddrive? when i run smart tests, everything seems normal.
I hope someone has experienced this same thing, or knows what it could be.

Please help.

eastwind
11-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Could be an error in the data stream (if from DTV) or a glitch in the recording (if on a SA). You should be a little more specific to get more specific help. It could still be a HD error--check with the manufacturers utilities non-destructive surface test.

ew

sabotage79
11-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Here is the best way to describe the issue - an actual video example:
Actual Video (http://www.ryanwalker.org/wp-content/sync_example.mpeg) (5MB)

See what you guys think.

Thanks,
Ryan

johnsolo
11-23-2005, 04:09 PM
I get this too. I would love to figure out why it happens. I assumed it was bad memory on my Tivo box.

I am on an S2SA.

sabotage79
11-23-2005, 04:21 PM
John,

I hadn't thought about memory. I hope to do a scan on the drive tonight using Spinrite (http://www.grc.com) or my harddrive's disk utility. I'll post the results for anyone who is interested.

The problem is it will take about 12 hours to do the full scan with spinrite, so i'll have to do it during the night so my wife doesn't kill me. :eek:

Ryan

ps: John, can't wait until tivotool scheduling is added. :)

sabotage79
11-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Well, I did a scan with spinrite - it didn't find anything wrong, so I have no idea.
I would have bet it was bad sectors. It seemed like it would happen more often when the tivo got full, as if there were errors at the end of the drive.

If I had more time I thought about trying a fresh 6.2 image, and start clean.

Anyway, John if you find anything out, please share.

Ryan