PDA

View Full Version : Copy Directv TiVo to PC

sailingnuts
11-30-2005, 05:31 PM
I am a newby with TiVo and would like to be able to copy the content I have recorded so that I will be able to watch when we are camping. I have the Hughes Directv TiVo series 2 with the 80 Gb disc. I know the USB connections are disabled. How can I download the content? My laptop PC doesn't have any S Video or RCA Video connections so I will need a device to connect to the USB port on my laptop to capture the signal from the TiVo and then send to the TV.
Thanks for your help.
Newton

The Only Druid
11-30-2005, 05:53 PM
You're going to have to do some searching. Frankly, you're not likely to get any replies to this other than the one I'm about to give.

1) You need to learn the background of Tivo hacking, such as what a kernel is, what killhdinitrd is, and what it means to disable scrambling.
2) Generally, you're going to have to remove the drive from the tivo, boot it up in a linux environment in your pc, DD over a killhdinitrd'd kernel and add the proper startup files to load tivoftpd and telnet. Then you're going to have to disable encryption (probably using the superpatch). That'll let you extract future programs. Unfortunately, to get shows already recorded you need...
3) To monte an unscrambling kernel.

Get searching, good luck!

Smee
11-30-2005, 05:56 PM
The answers you seek are all available in the forums. Your best bet is to read through the forums and take lots of notes. There is no one easy guide you will find that will tell you what do. But what you want to do is certainly possible.

Smee