PDA

View Full Version : Tivo S2 Hard Drive Problem

bose
12-02-2005, 03:55 AM
Hey so i got a problem trying to hook my tivo up to my computer and my computer isnt recognizing it, can anyone help me out? I have a DVD recorder and a CD-ROM, so i unhook both of them, plug the HD into one of the ide cables and restart, nothin shows up. (I dont remove the HD from the mount, but i do unplug both cables and use the ones from my computer) WINXP doesnt show any new hard drives.

Can anyone give me a quick explanation of how to hook it up?

Narf54321
12-02-2005, 12:04 PM
First, tivo usually sets the drives to CS (cable select) mode, so I suggest putting the jumper on the drive to "Master".

Next, TiVo uses Linux as its base operating system, and has a combination of linux and Apple (for MFS) drive partitions. You'll need a Linux boot disk to "see" the drive, as Microsoft likes to pretend other OSes and disk systems don't exist.

Anyway, at this point there's a good chance the WinXP system overwrote your tivo's drive signature and it probably won't even boot in the tivo, now.

You'd best get an MFStools CD and start backing up your tivo image right now. I suggest start by checking out Hinsdale How-To (http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/index9.html). You won't be able to do much with this drive until you get a working linux boot disk.