PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to move shows from a DirecTV TiVo to a home network?

tiggeerrtoo
12-05-2005, 12:02 AM
I'm trying to buy a gift for hubby and don't know where to start. He wants to be able to move movies and shows from our DirecTV TiVo to our home PC network. What do I need?

captain_video
12-05-2005, 09:11 AM
What's the model number? If it's an R10 then it requires a complicated PROM hack. Any models prior to that can be easily hacked for video extraction but we'll need more info before we can help.

tiggeerrtoo
12-06-2005, 01:54 AM
RCA DVR80

I was advised to start a new thread in the Newbie Forum. I'm titling it "TiVo hacking for Christmas" if you'd like to join me there. So that my request for assistance is complete, what other information would you need before you can help?

I didn't realize PMs were not welcomed. I've had done quite a bit of searching, but couldn't find anything with basic information or where the information specific to my model was located because I didn't understand the Forum architecture. I've found the S2 Support Forum now and am doing lots of reading. Obviously I'm still learning. Thanks for being patient.

Roger Dylan
12-06-2005, 07:04 AM
to be able to move movies and shows from our DirecTV TiVo to our home PC network. What do I need?

If you or he want a wonderful new hobby, you are in the right place, and you are encouraged to stay here and continue to search and learn to do it thoroughly and correctly and in a way that ensures that you're doing it in a way that is approved of here.

tiggeerrtoo
12-07-2005, 02:35 AM
Can I assume that if it is discussed here it is not illegal?

If there are easier ways that are not permitted here, then I don't want to get involved in those ways. Sometimes I have to be knocked upside the head... it came to my attention that the easier ways would infringe on copyrights. Can we all say, "Duh!" Go ahead laugh at me, I deserve it.

Roger Dylan
12-07-2005, 04:04 AM
the easier ways would infringe on copyrights.

No more so than the more disciplined ways that are discussed here. To some extent infringement is a matter of untested opinion. Does DMCA really trump fair use? And if it does, does the turning off of scrambling (that all the methodologies employ) constitute circumvention of encryption as defined (and/or intended) by law?

Your decision to take the easy way out, or study the underlying fundamentals and do it in a way that is encouraged here, is not related to legality or to copyright infringement.

What you may have heard about are some fairly guarded methodologies that are not openly (or at least overtly and explicitly) discussed here, or on the other forum I mentioned, or anywhere of reasonable respectability. Whole different thing.