PDA

View Full Version : Not fitting 1 DVD?

NeWcS
12-06-2005, 01:42 AM
Ive d/l'ed 4 eps from my TiVO to HDD to DVD. The problem is tytools make the DVD to big.5+Gigs How can I get these 4 eps to fit on 1 DVD? I tried using DVDShrink to get it smaller but DVDShrink crashes everytime(Out of memory error) Methos used: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26095

Any suggestions?

-Jay

vurbano
12-06-2005, 08:40 AM
Ive d/l'ed 4 eps from my TiVO to HDD to DVD. The problem is tytools make the DVD to big.5+Gigs How can I get these 4 eps to fit on 1 DVD? I tried using DVDShrink to get it smaller but DVDShrink crashes everytime(Out of memory error) Methos used: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26095

Any suggestions?

-Jay

Dual layer DVD burner. 8.5 GB. I bought the Benq DW1640 for 40 bucks off of newegg.com. Works great burning DVD +R DL media available at walmart for about 4 dollars a disk

captain_video
12-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Most of the available compression/transcoding programs don't play well with tympegs due to their non-standard format. Your best bet would be to re-author the DVD with fewer episodes and split it to two DVDs if you can't edit them down to a smaller size. I can usually get five or more 1-hour episodes recorded on a DTivo after editing out the commercials or a minimum of 12 half-hour shows. Dual layer discs are still way too expensive when you consider you can buy two single layer DVDs for about one tenth the cost of a single dual layer disc.

vurbano
12-06-2005, 09:36 AM
I have not run into any file off of my HDtivo that would not play on my linkplayer2 once it was successfully converted to an mpeg2 file with tytool. The problems are usually with that conversion process. Of course you would need a player that will play mpeg2 like the linkplayer or some other media player.

vurbano
12-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Dual layer discs are still way too expensive when you consider you can buy two single layer DVDs for about one tenth the cost of a single dual layer disc.

IMO you have to consider what you can produce and the retail price of it.

What would you pay for a season of HBO "ROME" or "the Sopranos" on DVD in the store? 60-80 bucks in some cases up to 100?

12 episodes on dual layer DVD would cost you 24 dollars and in High definition.(2 dollars a disk, one episode per disk)

60- 100 dollars for SD DVD disks vs 24 dollars for 12 dual layer DVD's with high definition programming???

and if you went the SD route? 60- 100 bucks for the SD retail version vs say 8 dollars!! on on 4 Dual layer DVD's (3 episodes a disk)

after awhile you easily pay off a 250 dollar linkplayer2 with the cost savings.

Seems like a no brainer to me. Sure single layer is cheaper but who wants to deal with all of those disks?

SpoonsJTD
12-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Most of the available compression/transcoding programs don't play well with tympegs due to their non-standard format. Your best bet would be to re-author the DVD with fewer episodes and split it to two DVDs if you can't edit them down to a smaller size. I can usually get five or more 1-hour episodes recorded on a DTivo after editing out the commercials or a minimum of 12 half-hour shows. Dual layer discs are still way too expensive when you consider you can buy two single layer DVDs for about one tenth the cost of a single dual layer disc.

Wow, that's saying a DL disc costs 20 (2@1/10th) times as much as a SL? I don't know where you buy your DL discs, but I'd look elsewhere. :)

Newegg Memorex 25 Disc Packs (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?submit=PROPERTY&SubCategory=71&propertycodevalue=876:8115&bop=and&InnerManu=1724)
DL's are about 3X-4X as much ($45/$15 and $45/$10 depending on speed), you get twice the capacity, so it's about 1.5X-2X the cost. Being able to get more on a disc is worth that to me.

vurbano
12-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Wow, that's saying a DL disc costs 20 (2@1/10th) times as much as a SL? I don't know where you buy your DL discs, but I'd look elsewhere. :)

Newegg Memorex 25 Disc Packs (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?submit=PROPERTY&SubCategory=71&propertycodevalue=876:8115&bop=and&InnerManu=1724)
DL's are about 3X-4X as much ($45/$15 and $45/$10 depending on speed), you get twice the capacity, so it's about 1.5X-2X the cost. Being able to get more on a disc is worth that to me.

couldnt agree with you more

NeWcS
12-06-2005, 11:02 AM
I can usually get five or more 1-hour episodes recorded on a DTivo after editing out the commercials or a minimum of 12 half-hour shows.

Than I must be doing something wrong. I have 4 1-hr eps w/ commercials edited out and it still wont fit on 1 DVD. How can I fix this?

-Jay

Narf54321
12-06-2005, 11:15 AM
I have 4 1-hr eps w/ commercials edited out and it still wont fit on 1 DVD. How can I fix this?

You could try just putting 3 episodes on the disc.

At the minimum you'll be able to tell if the episodes actually play back, or if there is more wrong with the files.

captain_video
12-06-2005, 06:04 PM
IMO you have to consider what you can produce and the retail price of it.

What would you pay for a season of HBO "ROME" or "the Sopranos" on DVD in the store? 60-80 bucks in some cases up to 100?

12 episodes on dual layer DVD would cost you 24 dollars and in High definition.(2 dollars a disk, one episode per disk)

60- 100 dollars for SD DVD disks vs 24 dollars for 12 dual layer DVD's with high definition programming???

and if you went the SD route? 60- 100 bucks for the SD retail version vs say 8 dollars!! on on 4 Dual layer DVD's (3 episodes a disk)

after awhile you easily pay off a 250 dollar linkplayer2 with the cost savings.

Seems like a no brainer to me. Sure single layer is cheaper but who wants to deal with all of those disks?

I rent all my DVDs via NetFlix for less than $1.00 each. I can then rip them and split them to 2 DVD-Rs using DVDFab but many times if I simply split out the main movie it will fit on a single disc. Blank, printable surface Taiyo-Yuden DVD-Rs (the best, IMHO) cost me about $0.40 each, or one-tenth the cost of a single dual-layer DVD+R. You can buy cheap quality discs for as low as $0.20 each in bulk (not that I would but I'm illustrating a point here). I believe someone quoted a price of $4 for a dual-layer disc so two blank DVD-Rs @ $0.20 each is one-tenth the cost.

I can compress the movie to fit on a single DVD-R using DVD Rebuilder with little or no discernible loss in picture quality. So, what would I pay for a full season of Rome or any other show? That's easy, just do the math and you'll see that my method far outweighs dual-layer DVDs with regards to cost. My no-brainer beats your no-brainer, hands down!:p

FYI, a smart shopper NEVER pays retail. Also, none of my DVD players are compatible with the "+" format DVDs and most dual-layer recordable DVDs are DVD+Rs, although DVD-R DL discs are slowly becoming available. When they develop DVD-RW DL discs then I'll consider giving them a try. For now, single-layer DVD-R discs are simply a much better deal for me, but YMMV.

You also can't record High Definition shows to DVD without transcoding them to a lower resolution, which sort of defeats the purpose, IMO. Commercially available DVDs look as good as anything you could record on a HDTivo and transcode to standard definition, but with little or no digital artifacts and usually a slightly wider aspect ratio and better soundtracks.

vurbano
12-06-2005, 07:43 PM
I rent all my DVDs via NetFlix for less than $1.00 each. I can then rip them and split them to 2 DVD-Rs using DVDFab but many times if I simply split out the main movie it will fit on a single disc. Blank, printable surface Taiyo-Yuden DVD-Rs (the best, IMHO) cost me about $0.40 each, or one-tenth the cost of a single dual-layer DVD+R. You can buy cheap quality discs for as low as $0.20 each in bulk (not that I would but I'm illustrating a point here). I believe someone quoted a price of $4 for a dual-layer disc so two blank DVD-Rs @ $0.20 each is one-tenth the cost.

I can compress the movie to fit on a single DVD-R using DVD Rebuilder with little or no discernible loss in picture quality. So, what would I pay for a full season of Rome or any other show? That's easy, just do the math and you'll see that my method far outweighs dual-layer DVDs with regards to cost. My no-brainer beats your no-brainer, hands down!:p

FYI, a smart shopper NEVER pays retail. Also, none of my DVD players are compatible with the "+" format DVDs and most dual-layer recordable DVDs are DVD+Rs, although DVD-R DL discs are slowly becoming available. When they develop DVD-RW DL discs then I'll consider giving them a try. For now, single-layer DVD-R discs are simply a much better deal for me, but YMMV.

You also can't record High Definition shows to DVD without transcoding them to a lower resolution, which sort of defeats the purpose, IMO. Commercially available DVDs look as good as anything you could record on a HDTivo and transcode to standard definition, but with little or no digital artifacts and usually a slightly wider aspect ratio and better soundtracks.

DL can be had for 2 dollars a disk not 4. I just dont buy them that often and end up picking them up at 4 bucks at Walmart once inawhile. I really preffer throwing the files on a server.

I never compress anything and its all DD5.1. The HD I burn to DL is not downrezzed from the ty file. Same files size, same bitrate, same resolution as the .ty stream. I use TYtool with no transcoding to generate a VOB, rename it to mpg and burn. Infact if you look at the file sizes of D* HD movie offerings most of it is far less than 8.5 GB since they downrezz all 1920x1080i material to 1280x1080i. Even most of the OTA primetime series come in under 8.5 GB. Anything over 8.5 goes on a server.

As far as the number of DVD's to burn a series I wasnt comparing single layer to dual layer. I was comparing dual layer to the retail versions. And when you consider that none of the retail versions are HD there simply is no comparison available, its not for sale. If you want to consider DL vs single layer then you have to also consider the number of trips off the couch to swap DVD's. I hope you enjoy the hassle.LOL

Narf54321
12-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Also, none of my DVD players are compatible with the "+" format DVDs and most dual-layer recordable DVDs are DVD+Rs, although DVD-R DL discs are slowly becoming available. When they develop DVD-RW DL discs then I'll consider giving them a try.

You can use a burner which supports the "booktype" setting, which marks finished DVD+R discs as DVD-ROM.
I make video DVDs of the kids from camcorder recordings, and had all sorts of troubles getting discs compatible with various relative's player units -- Until I found a new burner which let me change the "booktype". Save lots of video tech support time for me now.

vurbano
12-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Even the first DVD player I ever purchased supports +R, sometimes its just not documented. It was a JVC player that said it supported -R I think

NeWcS
12-06-2005, 09:36 PM
I know no one hijacked this on purpose but.....Can anyone answer me?

Thx

-Jay

Narf54321
12-06-2005, 10:00 PM
I know no one hijacked this on purpose but.....Can anyone answer me?

Whoops, yeah we're veering off on a tangent.

But I think I answered you above. Burn a couple episodes to a regular 4.3GB DVD-R and see if they even play, and how they come out.
Oh yeah, if DVD shrink says out of memory, make sure 1) You have some extra disc space for the new compressed files, and 2) make sure you set Windows to handle virtual memory settings itself.

captain_video
12-07-2005, 09:47 PM
Sorry if we got off topic but I thought your question had already been answered. I was merely responding to another reply. I won't prolong the debate on single-layer vs. dual-layer as everyone has their own opinion on the subject so I'll leave it at that.

vurbano - Are you playing your HD DVDs on your TV or on your PC? I don't know of any set-top DVD players that will currently play back anything in HD format or the resolution you cited. I noticed you mentioned loading them on a server so if that's how you're playing them back then how did HD content become part of this discussion?

As for the hassle of getting off the couch, I've owned several laserdisc players over the years so changing discs on a regular basis is old hat to me and I've never considered it to be a hassle. I've also never used anything but a manual turntable with my vinyl discs and would never even consider using a changer. Besides, having to swap discs in the middle of a movie provides me with a good breaking point to grab a snack or take a leak, not to mention I can always use the exercise. At my age I need to do whatever I can to keep the circulation going.;)

Narf54321
12-08-2005, 09:54 AM
vurbano - Are you playing your HD DVDs on your TV or on your PC? I don't know of any set-top DVD players that will currently play back anything in HD format or the resolution you cited.

Yeah, its beginning to sound like they aren't DVD "compatible" files to begin with. That's why I wanted to ask if something like 2 episodes on a disc even worked.

As for the hassle of getting off the couch, I've owned several laserdisc players over the years so changing discs on a regular basis is old hat to me and I've never considered it to be a hassle.

Here here. If I didn't have to get up to change DVD discs, I'd never get any exercise. :)