PDA

View Full Version : Help from recovering from a botched TyServer install

Seacoug
12-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Like others I have had difficulty getting the PTVupgrade DVRchive up and running. I have seen other posts that have the same problem. There is not a universal set of instructions to get Tyserver running on the Tivo. After many attempts I was finally able to get an execute from this command by telnet only "./server". Does anyone have an idea why this is? Why don't the other commands cited in the forum work? If others have had problems with this ....try this command from telnet then open the client.

Seacoug

tsokj
01-03-2006, 11:17 PM
I have installed TyServer but I do not see it in the HACKMAN menu. Has anyone answer you on the installation of Tyserver?

I am very new to Linux but not to networking and programming.

Thanks

Seacoug
01-04-2006, 01:40 AM
I'm using Tytool as a client so I think our problems are a bit different. Nobody has responded to my post. It seems most of those with experience don't care to respond. I am a novice. I can get tyserver to run by telnet. This is the command I use:

cd /var/hack

./tserver

What kind of error message do you get?

Jamie
01-04-2006, 01:49 AM
It seems most of those with experience don't care to respond. DVRchive is a product from PTVUpgrade. Those with experience here don't use that product. If you want help on a product, it might makes sense to start at the vendors web site. Don't they have a support forum?

Seacoug
01-04-2006, 11:28 AM
DVRchive is simply a compilation of tools most discussed on this site. There are few posts on the PTVUpgrade site about this topic. Most are about their drive expansion kits. This forum has a lot of people who don't get a response on other topics where it does make sense to come here for support.

Jamie
01-04-2006, 12:04 PM
DVRchive is simply a compilation of tools most discussed on this site. There are few posts on the PTVUpgrade site about this topic. Most are about their drive expansion kits. This forum has a lot of people who don't get a response on other topics where it does make sense to come here for support.I am simply trying to explain why "those with experience don't care to respond". Don't expect a public forum to be free online support for a commercial product. If you want help with a commercial product, go to the vendor for support.

cheer
01-04-2006, 01:08 PM
Above and beyond that (and that is a valid reason; DVRchive may be a collection of standard tools, but as I don't use it I wouldn't know that, nor would I know which tools/version are included or how they are installed); I don't know how many folks still use TyServer.

I use TyTool or mfs_ftp exclusively, so I couldn't begin to help with TyServer problems.

Jamie
01-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Above and beyond that (and that is a valid reason; DVRchive may be a collection of standard tools, but as I don't use it I wouldn't know that, nor would I know which tools/version are included or how they are installed); I don't know how many folks still use TyServer.There does seem to be some confusion here between tytool/tserver and TyStudio/TyServer. It's unclear to me (and maybe to the original poster) which one s/he is using.

Seacoug
01-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Is there a difference between tserver and TyServer? I thought they were one in the same (the former just representing the file name). It was my understanding that regardless of what client you used, you had to have either a server application on the Tivo or you had to FTP the files over to the client?

Was I wrong Jamie.

I would be willing to listen to what I should be using as the latest and greatest if someone wants to take the time to tell me why...Thanks

cheer
01-04-2006, 03:39 PM
TyStudio comes with a server application called TyServer. TyTool comes with a server application called tserver.

OK, so if we're talking about TyTool/tserver...what is the specific problem you are experiencing? When you try to start the server from within TyTool, what happens?

Jamie
01-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Is there a difference between tserver and TyServer? I thought they were one in the same (the former just representing the file name). It was my understanding that regardless of what client you used, you had to have either a server application on the Tivo or you had to FTP the files over to the client?

Was I wrong Jamie.

I would be willing to listen to what I should be using as the latest and greatest if someone wants to take the time to tell me why...ThanksTyServer is part of TyStudio (http://dvd-create.sourceforge.net/tystudio/index.shtml). TyStudio has been stagnant a long time. It was before my time -- I've never used it and don't know much about it.

tserver is the tivo side server for TyTool (not TyStudio) and is under active development. The current version is here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46848).

If you come to DDB for support, you need to use the latest stable, supported version of the tools available here. I don't know what's in DVRchive, but if you want support on that, look to PTVUpgrade. I don't know how to make that any clearer.

Seacoug
01-04-2006, 05:26 PM
So there is only one Tyserver then? And this forum only supports the latest version...all other support has been stripped? I'm not using TyStudio. I think I made that clear in my first post. Wouldn't this time have been better spent helping the user that responded to my post? Kinda makes my earlier point then :confused:

Jamie
01-04-2006, 05:33 PM
So there is only one Tyserver then? And this forum only supports the latest version...all other support has been stripped? I'm not using TyStudio. I think I made that clear in my first post. Wouldn't this time have been better spent helping the user that responded to my post? Kinda makes my earlier point then :confused:TyServer is from TyStudio. If you are not using TyStudio, you should not use TyServer.

tserver is the tivo side server process for TyTool. If you are using TyTool, you should run tserver. I recommend you upgrade to the latest version of tytool/tserver. Who knows what you may have installed from DVRchive. We certainly don't.

The user that responded to your initial post posted in another thread and received an answer there.

I doesn't seem like you've spent anytime even learning the names of the tools you are trying to use.

Seacoug
01-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Yep you are right...that's why I initally went with an archive So I wouldn't have to live in this forum. I appreciate what you shared that can be of use.

cheer
01-05-2006, 12:54 AM
So there is only one Tyserver then? And this forum only supports the latest version...all other support has been stripped? I'm not using TyStudio. I think I made that clear in my first post. Wouldn't this time have been better spent helping the user that responded to my post? Kinda makes my earlier point then :confused:
Perhaps if you answered the questions I asked instead of complaining about responses, you'd get farther.

People are offering you help. Do you want it?

Seacoug
01-05-2006, 04:57 AM
Cheer...I meant to thank you for responding earlier today. I noted that you tried to help. It is much appreciated. I did find a way to get my server to run by telnet and using the following commands:

cd /var/hack

./tserver

I think that I went wrong by following instructions for Tyserver at sourceforge.net. When doing my install I couldn't find how to get the server side up and running. It looks like I made the wrong assumption (that Tyserver goes with TyTools).

I did everything as sourceforge.net suggests here http://dvd-create.sourceforge.net/tystudio/tivo-install.txt. This includes modification of rc.sysinit which I would like to undo. The original version is saved under another filename. Ideally I would like get Tytools to work with the right server version (latest tserver). I'm told it runs faster and it would be nice to get it to work within Tytools.

If you are still willing I would like to know what you recommend. I'm a novice so I'm not sure what the Tyserver install program does beyond modifying this file. This is an embarrassingly simple question but I have to ask since I'm new to Linux. What is the command to copy my original rc.sysinit back over the modified version? Any tips you can offer for this situation?

Thanks again

cheer
01-05-2006, 08:34 AM
Well I'm not very familiar with TyStudio/TyServer, so I'm not totally sure what's been done. But looking at that install script, it looks like it creates a backup called rc.sysinit.tyserver. So in theory you should be able, from a telnet prompt, to:

cd /etc/rc.d
mv rc.sysinit rc.sysinit.runs-tyserver
mv rc.sysinit.tyserver rc.sysinit
and reboot.

You should then be able to configure TyTool to just run tserver when you need it. Depending on the version of TyTool you are using, in the options menu or preferences dialog you can set the command to run tserver (in your case, it appears to be /var/hack/tserver) and the shell prompt (which you can probably just set to #).