PDA

View Full Version : TyTool 10r1 - Extraction/Frame Accurate Editing/DVD output/Closed Captioning...

Pages : [1] 2

jdiner
12-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Alright. The rules in this thread are the same as the last one for my tools. A great many things have been updated recently. And there are some pretty sweet features coming in the near future. But as always it is best to start with a charter for this thread.

Just like before these are rules for this thread, not the forum. If you want to discuss things deemed off limits here make your own threads and set your own rules. But if you decide to participate here then please follow the guidelines.

So the rules for this thread are:

1- NO FLAMES AND NO ARGUMENTS... I am through trying to be nice on this as it just plain does not work. I will without reservation delete anything that shows up here that could be considered either of the above. Enough is enough.

2- It has become clear that we have 2 distinct camps with zealots in both. Fine. Use my stuff. Use Olaf's. I couldn't care less. Many of us got dragged into a war we didn't know we were supposed to be involved in... So a new rule. We discuss ONLY my own tools here... Leave the rest in their own threads! This is not intended to be an attack but rather to stop them. You don't like me. Fine. You don't like my tools fine. You don't like those that use them. You're an ***** but fine for hating people you have never ever met so just go somewhere else.

3- NO ADVERTISING FOR OTHER TOOLS. Again this thread is again about Vsplit/TyTool. If you have something cool to use in place of or even with them the take it to a different thread. Any post by anyone about "you really should use X instead..." is gone the moment I or some of other mods see it.

This is still an open forum. Create your own thread and have at it. But such posts are entirely unwelcome here.

4- Feel free to discuss various OS/wishes/desires/etc.... At some point we should support as much as is possible.

5- Feel free to ask for features but be aware that I am making no promises except to work on things in general... I mean it. Ask. But don't hound me or anyone else, that accomplishes nothing. If you think of something that would be cool let me know. I will add it to the list.

6- I suppose I should say it... I reserve the right to disappear at any time. Just like you do. When life interferes hobbies get put on hold. Having said that it will be obvious when you look at the new toolset that I have been putting in a great deal of time on it. Hope that it helps every do what they want to with their Tivos...

7- Keep DVDLab, tmpgenc et all to a dull roar in here please. It might be better say that we are now 3 camps. TyTool, TyStudio, and TyTool with the output being used elsewhere. I don't mind the occasional this works with DVDLab/Tmpgenc etc... in reference to a problem someone asks about. But in the last while it has felt like we had dropped to advertising again. Please don't do that. There are a number of very good DVDLab threads here on the forum to do that kind of thing etc...

An important note!

Several of these programs require the cygwin1.dll to run. Some of the tools in the TyTool release, mpeg2enc and dvdauthor most notably, were compiled with the cygwin cross compiler. To run these require the presence of the cygwin1,.dll file. This file is huge and seems to get larger all of the time. There is no need to download a new copy of this file everytime. While it does change it is not that frequent. So please download the zip for it from here in this post or else grab it from the homepage: www.cygwin.com (http://www.cygwin.com)

Again, if you try to use the Frame Accurate Editing or DVD features of TyTool this dll is required. If you see a major popup window when trying you are missing the dll. Please unpack the DLL into the same directory as the rest of the TyTool files and executables.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-15-2005, 09:20 PM
TyTool 10r2 with everything... The attachment has the new versions of the tooset in it. All DVD extras and tserver versions are found within it.

VSplit HAS NOT BEEN updated to match this release of TyTool. Sorry. I will get it out as soon as possible. I just didn't want to wait on this any longer. Hopefully the next release will be no more than a week away.

Version 10 is a major upgrade from the earlier 9 series of TyTool. It adds Closed Captioning, a preference wizard, a host of bug fixes, better audio transcoding support, ever improving HD support, etc... etc... etc...

Please check the included docs for information about what has changed and why. The release notes for 10r1 augment the 9r series of docs. Read those as well if you are new to the tool. Also look at the lrhorer documentation for TyTool it is an incredible resource. And last but not least look in the help menu in TyTool itself for the QuickStart, FAQ, etc...

Highlights of the Fixes and Features in this Release:

145- Added the free'ing of the cut list to GopEditor. Very small memory leak.

163- On the load of the next file it now clears the current cutlist in GopEditor.

169- Added in support for PAL DVD menus.

188- Added an edit/update mode for a cut in GopEditor.

250- Pulled many of the options from the various menus in TyTool and put them into a separate wizard style popup.

360- If there is a FAE cut on “this frame” in the main window the editor will now start on it that frame when you re-open the edit in GOPEditor. Just a simple fix designed to make it faster and easier to tweak edits.

477- Added a quick template refresh option. This was requested by several people and was a nice feature to add.

490- Made the sort option for the NowShowing list sticky.

491- Fix a repeating audio (LayerII) header problem.

494- Tightened up the audio A/V sync. Found a way to make it even more accurate. Very few noticed the offset as it was from start to finish but found 1 stream where it was noticeable. Anyway it is currently fixed.

495- Added support for multiple-resets. Should work properly now no matter how many of them there are. This was has just cropped up time and again. Hopefully this time it will stick a fork in it once and for all.

496- Added an ***** check for the local dir setting not existing and then trying to process in it or download into it etc... This one should have been done a long time ago. My bad for just not putting it in place the first time it happened.

497- Change the default directory setting to c:\.

506- Took the preferences system and made it a true configuration wizard. 1 screen multiple panes. Much easier to navigate around in and find things now. Hopefully it will clean up the usage of TyTool and make it easier for beginners.

508- Added the naming switch option to the new Audio preferences dialog. It can now be either the .m2a file it was or the new .mpa that some people needed for the tools they were using.

509- Added saving and loading of the NameFormat to the TyTool .ini file. The NameFormat can now be created by the preferences wizard, and controls what files should be called upon download. You can pick which options you want in the name and order in which to use them. Should suffice for people that want more than the norm. (See the preferences wizard for a full discussion of this option.)

510- Made the main window resizable.

511- Cleaned up the main dialog with the new reduced menus. Now that things are in the wizard there was no need for the menu options.

512- Fixed the audio transcoding to set things right.

515- Cleaned up the filename fixing code.

516- Added, as mentioned above, a sizer control to the main window to make it more flexible. This allows for internal window sizing.

517- The window resizes at startup. Wasn’t remembering the previous settings.

518- Added a GUI option for a user controllable audio offset. There have been a few shows I have recorded at times where the audio is off, even when played on the tivo, for the entire show. There is now a feature to correct for this.

519- Added in the saving the new resized position and again it now saves the position of the internal sizer as well.

521- Set a new limit on the main report edit to make it much much larger.

522- Added in a GUI reset option to put it back to the standard size and position.

524- The local directory ***** check now works on the getParts function too.

532- Enhanced the auto-name feature to support a number of patterns.

545- Looked into the missing frames when doing FAE and what not for the HD stuff. Still a work in progress but it is better now.

546- Altered the audio skew message to only print if the value is non-0. This message is there mainly to help the user determine when it is on. Mostly for the case when it is on when not wanted.

547- Added a show-dos window to the menu dialog too.

548- Put in options on the auto-naming stop point.

549- Upped the size of the NowShowing buffer to support some of these extremely long Now Playing lists that people are getting from Tivos that are running massive drives.

551- FAE cuts were definitely busted on HD streams. Looked into it and it was just bad encoding. A new encoding mechanism is needed for FAE on HD streams.

553- Tried a different encoders. ffmpeg looks to be the best option. Produced nice output etc… But it is huge.

555- Looked at QuEnc that is ffmpeg based. The output is still great but the exe is even larger.

556- Needed and wrote a new parser for the ffmpeg results. Just can’t find a way to make it give back a non-mux'ed result.

558- Put the encoder choice into the preferences. I don’t recommend ffmpeg yet but it is there for those that want to test it.

560- Fixed the "use"/”^” button. If nothing was selected it was screwing up and copying just characters. Doesn’t do that anymore.

561- Can now use the ffmpeg and then the rest of the related tools to see what we get when making a menu.

563- And now menu's work.

569- Found and fixed an editing related field ordering bug in the decoder DLL when it was putting things into the y4m.

590- Wrote a cron-like program for the tivos to support a push mechanism from the tivo to the PC when idle as an alternative to the PULL mechanism like TyTool now uses. Can be used for many many things…

594- Tested the new dvdauthor against PowerDVD to see if it still crashes when reaching the very end of a show and returning to the menu. It appears not to. So an upgrade is definitely called for.

600- Compiled the latest Win32 version of DVDAuthor. Seems to be working just fine but takes different arguments than are being used right now. Kind of getting in the way a bit of a simple conversion to it.

606- Fixed a few more new GUI bugs thanks to the menu changes.

607- Dropping the dvdauthor changes. It is WAY more work than it is worth right now. Darn. (Hopefully someone else will get it compiled and posted.)

612- Many thanks to tpeter42 and dlang, with their help I got the autoconf stuff working so that I can try the CVS versions of various tools.

619- Fixed the wierd +1 jump in Main window in GopEditor immediately post a FAE edit. Side effect of the new 24bpp view.

620- Found the close caption data. They are located in a pattern of 4-8-4 bits in the TyStream header.

621- Looked at how spumux does close captioning. It makes them as a sub-pic using the DVD overlay techniques. Not true CC at all.

622- Looked into how does regular CC get put into an MPG? It is a packet in the video stream right after the GOP header.

627- Created a CC editing routine to match the processing involved with FAE editing.

637- Added a verbose/debug flag with various levels to the textual output from the CC processing.

638- Added CC insertion into the output MPEG/VOB to the code.

644- Fixed a bug in the edited output mode where it could corrupt the nodes that the CC data was using as place holders. Created some very very nice rather spectacular crashes.

646- Added the CC option to the preferences wizard.

647- Added the verbCC option to the same dialog.

651- Checked and fixed the reported chaptering issues with the new muxer.

654- Put some code behind the abort button in menu making. It will now actually abort. Before it wasn't disabled it just didn't do anything.

658- Added the CC generate line to the DVDAuthor call. This is needed for the program to know that it needs to turn these values on. Just including the data isn't enough.

659- Put the CC processing into the new format muxer as well. Gotta keep these 2 in sync for just a bit longer.

666- For chapters made a DBL-Click on the user chapter point jump to that spot in the stream. Just trying to make the editing simpler and more straight forward.

667- Changed the verbCC granularity. more options for greater control on the level of output.

679- Added an frame-order fix to the SA Tivo code. Occasionally things were getting screwed up. Feel lately like I kind of abandoned the SA world. Didn't mean to just stopped using mine. Going to try and get a Series2 SATivo unit. Make doing some of this better/easier/etc...

680- Cleaned up all of the CC code and got it production ready.

686- Something was leaving a lock open when making a menu. It was the file requestor. I changed a few settings on it and no more linger locks are in play. You can now delete things you are done with without haveing to exit TyTool first. Or creating a completely different DVD/menu/etc...

687- Fixed the re-position marching bug on top controls.

688- Made the same fix to the template loader. So that no more linger file locks were made.

691- Fixed the menu-repaint to active bug.

693- Fixed the GopEditor pos/size on close when not visible.

696- Fixed the close on TyTool to also always have the proper size.

700- Added in the new TyTranscode library.

701- Added in support for the SVCD format.

702- Wrote a stripper for the XVCD RIFF format info. Using this an SVCD format mpeg file can be turned into something that TyTool will process natively. This allows them to be cut, VOBed and turned into a file that will play on a true DVD.

703- Fixed the support for the 44.1khz audio. With Rowan's help proper support for some of the audio standards is now in place. Allows for better processing of certain VCD, SVCD, and downloaded MPEG-2 files.

704- Tested turning SVCD disks into DVDs. Worked perfectly. Not a bad way to go. Downloaded a few things and made a couple of DVDs with them.

708- Fixed the odd L2 audio bug in the S1 file. There were malformed audio records right in the middle of a stream. Seems to be a new bug in the date coming from the newere Tivos/TivoOS... :(

712- Got a couple of video problems like the one above wrapped in fixes to try and prevent that kind of thing from happening again.

714- Fixed the show type detection bug! S2 DTivo was coming back DTivo.

715- Fixed the FAE on start bug. Again!!! Had a typo that was using the variable size not side.

716- Fixed the preferences to actually use the altered IP when it has changed.

Preferences Wizard:

See the release notes for the full discussion of the Preferences wizard.

The following is an excerpt from the full docs focusing on the file naming portion of the wizard...

1- General:
The General wizard pane is used to set whether or not it should make the output text file, the verbose level of the logging in the text file, whether to use the GOPEditor popup and so on… The Output directory can be modified here as well in the standard place within the Menu structure.

The new feature here is the ability to change the name of the file for use in extraction. For the naming option there are 2 listboxes, 6 buttons, and a sample display field. Within the 2 listboxes there are 5, technically 6, options for use in the creation of the name. Each of the 5 name field can be used only once in the order chosen by the user. To choose a naming option either double-click the entry or click it just once and then click the “Use” button. The space option can be used as often as desired within the list for visual spacing within the file name.

The available, read unused, options are found in the listbox on the left. The ones in use and the order they are used in are found in the listbox on the right. The clear, use, and reset buttons should be basically self-explanatory and simple testing will make their use clear. The 3 buttons on the right are Up, Down, and Add Space. Select an entry and move it up or down to change the order within the “Use Order:” listbox. Once a space has been added to the use order it can be moved in the same way. To remove a space or a name field from the use order simply double-click it. There is no explicit remove button.

When any change is made the display field immediately below the 6 buttons will reflect that change and what a sample filename would look like.

EDIT: 10r2 is just 10r1 with a working Series1 tserver binary.

--jdiner

Badboy7357
12-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Please move this if this is in the wrong place. I just tried this version to see if I can avoid errors I "started" to have with v9...
I am getting this when I try to make keyframes and then the program will crash and close...Any ideas? Things used to be working great in v9 and I thought this newest version might avoid the problem.

........ 5100......... 5200......... 5300......... 5400......... 5500

.Unknown PES packet. Fix it dear henry...
type = 0x8E
Unknown PES packet. Fix it dear henry...
type = 0xF5
type = 0x60
type = 0x70
type = 0x3F
type = 0x26
type = 0x0
type = 0x0
type = 0x20
type = 0x1A
type = 0x1

Found an OOB packet... The Video Diff is: 00:16:00.515
sVid is: 00:00:00.000
largestVideoPTS is: 00:16:00.515
BBB the PTS was bad, but the new SEQ check lines up|!?
Found an OOB packet... The Audio Diff is: 00:16:00.447
sAud is: 00:00:00.000
largestAudioPTS is: 00:16:00.447
Is it in sequence??? It is OFF by exactly 26679.083333 frames.
Nope... Not in sequence... Skipping it...

type = 0x8E

Warning: Found a 0L PTS video record... Skipping...
type = 0xF5
type = 0x33
type = 0x2A
!!! BAD
sample rate code == 32 (2)
frame size code == 0x2 2
Bit Rate == 40

bsid == 8
bsmod == 5
acmod == 4
surmixlev == 3
lfeon == 0
dialnorm == 21
compre == 1
compr == 154
langcode == 0
audprodie == 0
copyrightb == 0
origbs == 1
timecod1e == 0
timecod2e == 1
timecod2 == 825
addbsie == 1

cheer
12-15-2005, 10:45 PM
So far, so good. Just ran it on a short test video. (SD-DVR80, 6.2.) Made some FAE edits and muxed to MPG -- looks great, no issues.

Things I love:

The new Preferences dialog -- a BIG improvement!
Naming options -- very handy
CC support -- haven't really tested it yet but I shall
SVCD support

(Apologies if any of those existed in 9R18 -- the preferences dialog makes it easier to spot this stuff!)

It just so happens I have about 60 (yikes) episodes of my daughter's favorite TV show to edit and burn over the weekend, so I should get a good workout doing that. Let you know if anything hiccups.

Thanks, as always, for such an amazing tool, JD!

mikey
12-15-2005, 11:22 PM
Thank You!

The Only Druid
12-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Two questions:

1) The tserver included in this zip. Is this the one modified to not need the NowShowing script? Should we replace our old ones on the tivo?

2) What's this about push? I don't see any documentation on that other than the release note mentioning it.

3) Thanks, as always, for all your effort creating such a great tool. You're an extremely important part of this community, and I hope you know how much we all appreciate your work.

cheer
12-16-2005, 12:12 AM
1) The tserver included in this zip. Is this the one modified to not need the NowShowing script? Should we replace our old ones on the tivo?
I haven't looked at it to see if it's any different than Jamie's tserver, but it definitely doesn't need the NowShowing script.

jdiner
12-16-2005, 12:37 AM
I haven't looked at it to see if it's any different than Jamie's tserver, but it definitely doesn't need the NowShowing script.
It is Jamie's version of tserver. I was talking about a different program that simulates the feature set of cron. Not sure how the 2 things got confused...

--jdiner

Pendragn
12-16-2005, 12:38 AM
Outstanding! I can't wait to try this out.

tk

jerseydave
12-16-2005, 01:10 AM
Got it up and running. What's the best way to stream the files to a pc?

TivoBlues
12-16-2005, 02:12 AM
I can't seem to get tserver up and running, I stuck it in /var/hack and then chmoded, do you see anything obvious ? I get a Tytool tserver error that states Starting the server failed. Never received the telnet prompt. Please check your setting and try again. I copied the shell prompt from telnet and pasted it to the server shell prompt string and still doesn't work.
S2-TiVo# cd /var/hack
S2-TiVo# chmod 777 *
S2-TiVo# ls -al
drwxr-xr-x 3 0 0 1024 Dec 16 05:38 .
drwxr-xr-x 16 1048576 -1870528 1024 Dec 16 04:31 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 31 Dec 16 04:02 bin -> /enhancements/va
hacks/hack/bin
lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 31 Dec 16 04:02 doc -> /enhancements/va
hacks/hack/doc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 31 Dec 16 04:02 etc -> /enhancements/va
hacks/hack/etc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 32 Dec 16 04:02 sbin -> /enhancements/v
rhacks/hack/sbin
lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 33 Dec 16 04:02 share -> /enhancements/
arhacks/hack/share
drwxrwxrwx 9 15633 0 1024 Dec 16 03:58 tivowebplus
-rwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 158488 Dec 16 05:38 tserver

jdiner
12-16-2005, 04:51 AM
Got it up and running. What's the best way to stream the files to a pc?
With TyTool itself. Chek the faq on getting the server installed and running.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-16-2005, 04:54 AM
I can't seem to get tserver up and running, I stuck it in /var/hack and then chmoded, do you see anything obvious ? I get a Tytool tserver error that states Starting the server failed. Never received the telnet prompt. Please check your setting and try again. I copied the shell prompt from telnet and pasted it to the server shell prompt string and still doesn't work.
S2-TiVo# cd /var/hack
S2-TiVo# chmod 777 *
-rwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 158488 Dec 16 05:38 tserver
Well it is exectuable so that is good. Make sure it went up in binary mode.

Telnet in manually and try running it.

Put the "S2-TiVo#" in the prompt section.

Watch the little window that pops up to see what is really being received.

Go to the FAQ and read the section on troubleshooting just this problem.

The default path in the config file is /var/hack/1 which is where I put it. If you don't have a 1 in your path but it is in the string you are going to have problems.

--jdiner

FredThompson
12-16-2005, 05:40 AM
SVCD?!?! Ah, all that whining paid off, huh? ...or was it the bribes?...

Oh, man, just in time for the weekend. Christmas came early this year!

mesaka
12-16-2005, 05:45 AM
Excellent news that this is out - thanks so much!

I'm trying to install it and I think I have done everything correctly. However when I start the server I get the following error message

Telneting to the TIVO...
Connecting to '192.168.1.7'
Connected...
We got 'Welcome to the wonderful world of TiVo hacking :)
Filesystem on / set to READONLY - type rw to make READ/WRITE
TiVo: {/var/tmp} % ' which is the prompt!
TiVo: {/var/tmp} % /var/hack/tserver -s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl
BUG IN DYNAMIC LINKER ld.so: dynamic-link.h: 46: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `! "bad dynamic tag"' failed!

Any ideas? PS Its on a UK S1 stand alone machine

Edit: I replaced the Tserver included in this download with that I had for version 9r18 and everything is working so it is probably an issue with that file.

mrdizzy
12-16-2005, 08:37 AM
I got the same error, but you beat me to it. I've gone back to the older tserver I got in Nov which is 138048 bytes long (change the path in tytool to point to the old one).

Processing a 30-min programme that used to take 7 mins on my PC now takes 4! Not sure why there is such a big speed increase but that's really great! :D

A couple of quick questions - feature #169 mentioned above was PAL menus. Are they still included and if so how do they work? (I thought they had been lost for now). The files menu.bmp and overlay.bmp are still 720x480 in a test image I've made. I haven't tested the DVD on my TV yet (it flicks as it changes between NTSC and PAL and the TV's OSD items move a bit, making it easy to tell) but I presume that the menu generated is NTSC-resolution as before.

NB: I really don't mind about PAL menus. It's a very low priority thing for me personally! Region 2 (European) DVD players are 99% PAL and NTSC capable, partly because Japan is NTSC and also in R2. The current way tytool DVDs work, with NTSC menus and PAL VOBs, is absolutely fine. And it means that other people's work like the tytemplate menu editor/boxmenu etc will all work fine with no changes too :)

The feature that would be good for me would let me flag each VOB in the menu as anamorphic 16x9 or just 4x3. I current use IFOedit to do this afterwards, it's very fiddly but works. There is a greyed out menu item in the Tytool menu maker called "force UK 16x9 setting" which perhaps flags all VOBs together?

Anyway thanks again, there is a lot to explore in the coming days! Really like the new naming options.

vurbano
12-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Wow I can hardly keep up. Great job JD!

cobbmtn1
12-16-2005, 03:04 PM
I also got the same tserver error when I used the one included with the 10R1 release on my DSR6000. I removed that and transferred the tserver included with 9R18 and everything seems to work ok except the Now Showing shows everything in cronological order and not with will my recording by date at the top of the list and Tivo suggestion by date at the bottom of the list. Rather minor but different.

JD, thanks so much for all your hard work and your excellent tool!

Cobbmtn1

jdiner
12-16-2005, 04:02 PM
SVCD?!?! Ah, all that whining paid off, huh? ...or was it the bribes?...

Oh, man, just in time for the weekend. Christmas came early this year!
Crap. Just realized that I came up short. The stripriff tool lost it's integration with TyTool. You can process the files just fine but the code to cut the XVCD RIFF headers isn't present. I have the standalone tool I can release but I will try to get the GUI integration done ASAP. Makes working on those files 10x easier.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-16-2005, 04:56 PM
TiVo: {/var/tmp} % /var/hack/tserver -s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl
BUG IN DYNAMIC LINKER ld.so: dynamic-link.h: 46: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `! "bad dynamic tag"' failed!

Any ideas? PS Its on a UK S1 stand alone machine

Edit: I replaced the Tserver included in this download with that I had for version 9r18 and everything is working so it is probably an issue with that file.
That message when trying to run the tserver can show up from 2 main issues.

1- It is normally when you have the wrong version. S1 vs S2 as they have different families of CPUs.
2- When you failed to upload it in binary mode versus ASCII mode.

You know it just occured to me that I might have put a bad version in the archive. Oh man I hope not. I will check it out when I get home tonight.

Also with the new version the NowShowing.tcl part is entirely unneeded.

Try grabbing the latest combined archive from Jamie's thread and see if that works better for you.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Wow in reading the most recent posts it would appear I put a corrupted tserver in the archive for the S1 hardware. Sorry about that guys. Not sure how it happened. I will verify that it is bad and get the archive replaced as soon as I can.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-16-2005, 05:03 PM
Processing a 30-min programme that used to take 7 mins on my PC now takes 4! Not sure why there is such a big speed increase but that's really great! :D
Ummm. I have been optimizing the code... :)

A couple of quick questions - feature #169 mentioned above was PAL menus. Are they still included and if so how do they work?
That was in reference to the supporting tool. They now work with PAL where they did not before. The TyTool portions were, as mentioned, lost.

I will be putting things back as fast as I can but there were an aweful lot of changes in the last 4-5 months.

More goodies to come.

One of the feature sets I lost that I like the most was I had changed the menu system to make it easier to use. There were keyboard shortcuts for darn near everything. Made it so much faster to create the menus.

The GopEditor lost the edit templates.

Lost the visual effects for menu creation. Shadowing, ghosting, darkening etc...

Going to take a while to get them back. Some I may not put back at all.

Oh just realized that the HD getparts that did it in sections is gone too. I will try to get that one back in for the near future as well...

--jdiner

superleo
12-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Wow in reading the most recent posts it would appear I put a corrupted tserver in the archive for the S1 hardware. Sorry about that guys. Not sure how it happened. I will verify that it is bad and get the archive replaced as soon as I can.

--jdiner

Firstofall Thanks for the new tools;

I believe you have a bad file there, I got exactly the same error. No biggie I replaced it wiht Jamie's as I had it before... All is well

I'll be playing this weekend :)

LlamaLarry
12-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Also with the new version the NowShowing.tcl part is entirely unneeded.Under Preferences -> Server, when you click 'Reset' it populates '/var/hack/tserver_mfs7 -s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl'.

jdiner
12-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Under Preferences -> Server, when you click 'Reset' it populates '/var/hack/tserver_mfs7 -s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl'.
Thanks for the heads up. That is an old old left over. I will get it changes in the upcoming version.

--jdiner

FredThompson
12-16-2005, 07:29 PM
ok, be gentle with me:

I'm using an old tserver in my S2s (I know, I know, rebuild is coming soon).

The string which works in 9r is:

/var/hack/tytool/tserver_mfs7_mips -s /var/hack/tytool/NowShowing.tcl

This doesn't seem to work with 10r1. I see the server window and the line about making the connection but nothing else.

How do I fix this?

-

ffmpeg is an encoder option? What are the benefits/drawbacks?

--

I thought you gave up on CC due to the goofy DTV format. Breakthrough or forgetfulness?

--

How about sort by decreasing size?

jdiner
12-16-2005, 08:36 PM
This doesn't seem to work with 10r1. I see the server window and the line about making the connection but nothing else.

How do I fix this?
No idea that code didn't change. It should have started it just the same. Using the old string would make the 2 identical. Make sure of the prompt. That is my best guess.

ffmpeg is an encoder option? What are the benefits/drawbacks?
I was trying to get a better HD recompression going. Didn't work for that. The quality between mpeg2enc and ffmpeg for SD was indistinguishable. So I didn't even package it up to send out with the old stuff. But there are those that like to tweak. If you are one then try it out and see for yourself.

I thought you gave up on CC due to the goofy DTV format. Breakthrough or forgetfulness?
Breakthrough. I solved about 90% of the issues with this release. The remaining issues are going to remain problematic. Some players don't support it at all. Some don't support it with the longer GOP sizes of DTV streams etc... But it allows those that want/need it to try it out and see what they think.

How about sort by decreasing size?
If it is in the list use it. If it isn't it isn't going to happen any time soon. I have some features I want to put back in that are IMO way more usefull than that one.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-16-2005, 08:37 PM
So is nobody using the resizable GUI features or are they just not a big deal? People asked and asked and asked about it before...

--jdiner

snoots
12-16-2005, 09:40 PM
I'm just getting back up and running, thanks again for the new release and all your long hours of work on tytools !

Snoots

mrdizzy
12-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Ah well I am now! :) The main window doesn't have a little triangle piece in the bottom right (the tserver output window does though) so I didn't realise it was resizable. Nice.

jdiner
12-16-2005, 10:31 PM
Hunh. The border had been changed. Yet another one that got lost. I tested the resize but didn't even look at the drawn frame to see if it showed it could be redone.

--jdiner

ThurstonX
12-16-2005, 11:47 PM
ok, be gentle with me:
*BAP BAP BAP*
<G>

I'm using an old tserver in my S2s (I know, I know, rebuild is coming soon).

The string which works in 9r is:

/var/hack/tytool/tserver_mfs7_mips -s /var/hack/tytool/NowShowing.tcl

How do I fix this?
Having read this thread before trying 10r1, I knew not to bother with the included tserver, so the one I used with 9r18 remained untouched in /var/hack. As far as configuring TyTool goes, I didn't. Under Options | Preferences | Server, I have the default execute string:
/var/hack/tserver
Connected on the first Start Server. Have you tried reverting to that?

HTH.

jerseydave
12-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Is there a way to get watchable streaming .ty shows over my network using tytool?

FredThompson
12-17-2005, 12:14 AM
*BAP BAP BAP*
<G>Ow, that hoits!

I had set both fields to the prompt. Chaning the second to "$" solved the problem. Duh.

Ok, Josh. I've got a real bone to pick with you. I've looked all through the notes and the new menus. Most of this is pretty nice but I still don't see retroactive recording. Thought you could slip that past me, didn't you? :eek:

The "Fill AC3 holes" setting doesn't want to stay enabled here. Is anyone else seeing this?

Goldheart
12-17-2005, 03:14 AM
How do you view the closed captions? I have a check in the box in preferences, but do not see any captions in media player classic or media player.

BeagleBoy
12-17-2005, 03:23 AM
So is nobody using the resizable GUI features or are they just not a big deal? People asked and asked and asked about it before...I haven't stopped dancing my dance of joy long enough to respond til now.... :D Love it!!!

-Jim

jdiner
12-17-2005, 03:36 AM
Is there a way to get watchable streaming .ty shows over my network using tytool?
Ummm. Yeah. That is where the whole tool started. A way to download them. That little used, almost hidden button on the main GUI panel called "Get" would be a good place to start.

Look I know this was your first post. But I put at the start of the docs with TyTool and the thread post at the very start of this thread suggestions on docs and to read the FAQ at the tytool website. You really should. It will fill you in on the tool and the basics of what it can do in short order.

EDIT: Focus on the getting start and the howto portion of the FAQ.

Basic Steps:
1- Get tserver onto the tivo.
2- make sure it runs.
3- Connect to it with tytool.
4- Refresh the Now Showing list.
5- Pick the show you want.
6- Click the get button.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-17-2005, 03:45 AM
How do you view the closed captions? I have a check in the box in preferences, but do not see any captions in media player classic or media player.
First off. Get a real player. MPC and Microsoft's MP have no understanding of closed captioning at all. They barely play mpegs at all and basically don't play MPEG-2 files period.

If you use PowerDVD then you right click while the show is playing, most of the way down the popup menu you will see an entry marked "Close Captioning...". This will be available only when playing a full DVD set, not just playing a simple vob. Once you have it enabled you will CC data on the screen just like when you play it on a TV.

In WinDVD there is a more extensive way to get to it but the principles are the same. Check the help on that one. Again once you are playing a full IFO file set that has it on there you can enable it.

Playback under PowerDVD works extremely well. Under WinDVD it was not uncommon for it to freak out. I was in touch with the former manager of the WinDVD development and with the people still doing it way back when. They were looking into it and had one of the sample files I was producing then. Sadly I have heard nothing since from either party. I do not know if it was ever fixed or not.

CC works on my JVC and Panasonic players. My old APEX won;t show CC from anything, commercial or my own stuff.

The #1 problem with it is the long GOP lengths. The CC packet is fixed length. No bigger than a certain size. And that size is just not big enough most of the time. Some players will still work with it. Other won't.

It is a work in progress I know what to do next it is just a bit of a pain to pull it off as it includes large scale re-encoding to make it work.

But back to the original questionon how to do it with MP and it's look alike? You can't.

--jdiner

lrhorer
12-17-2005, 03:45 AM
So is nobody using the resizable GUI features or are they just not a big deal? People asked and asked and asked about it before...
Oh, rest assured I will! Give me a chance to get it loaded and running, though.

lrhorer
12-17-2005, 03:49 AM
Most of this is pretty nice but I still don't see retroactive recording.
You have to have 3.2 Gigawatts of electrical power and a modified DeLorean...

FredThompson
12-17-2005, 04:02 AM
Josh,

I think jerseydave meant streamed viewing, not extracting. Newbie confusion.

OK, I see two lines in the release notes about SVCD but they don't explain the SVCD mux setting. What is that? Is it the pulldown support?

logic_88
12-17-2005, 05:07 AM
If you use PowerDVD then you right click while the show is playing, most of the way down the popup menu you will see an entry marked "Close Captioning...". This will be available only when playing a full DVD set, not just playing a simple vob. Once you have it enabled you will CC data on the screen just like when you play it on a TV.

Hi.

Just installed 10r1 and am trying to get CC working as it's been a long awaited feature (I'm hearing-impaired).

But my extracted MPGs don't seem to include the CC. I've checked the "Use CC" box but the resulting MPG does not show CC while in PowerDVD. I've tried muxing the MPG & creating a DVD but that still has no CC.

The TiVo is a HDR112 running the tserver binary from the unified MFS-Utils package.

Edit: Just tried burning the VOBs to DVDR and the CCs are there on a standalone DVD player. So I guess the CCs aren't in a standard "commercial DVD" format so PowerDVD doesn't recognize them? Anyway, thanks for the new feature!

lrhorer
12-17-2005, 05:07 AM
Hunh. The border had been changed. Yet another one that got lost. I tested the resize but didn't even look at the drawn frame to see if it showed it could be redone.
Um, well that, and it isn't working quite right, here. When I first tried, I could not change the frame size. I exited the app and re-entered, and I could expand the frame horizontally using the mouse, but whenever I click on the frame, the lower right position jumped to 869, but I could not change it with the mouse. After changing the lower right corner to 1000 with a text editor and moving the frame around a bit, it jumped to 945, instead of 869. I fiddled with the values some more, and now it's working.

newlooper
12-17-2005, 07:44 AM
Ow, that hoits!

I had set both fields to the prompt. Chaning the second to "$" solved the problem. Duh.

Ok, Josh. I've got a real bone to pick with you. I've looked all through the notes and the new menus. Most of this is pretty nice but I still don't see retroactive recording. Thought you could slip that past me, didn't you? :eek:

The "Fill AC3 holes" setting doesn't want to stay enabled here. Is anyone else seeing this?
Fred,

I see the same AC3 checkbox undoing itself. This is a great tool! One question though.. Is VSplit built into the menu so there is no manual vsplit anymore?

snoots
12-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Anybody know if this works or how to use it ? I would like to PUSH shows to my pc on a schedule at night while sleeping :)

jdiner
12-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Maybe that is why my computers keep blowing up. 3.21 gigawatts of power. More than a standard PSU can handle. :)

--jdiner

jdiner
12-17-2005, 01:00 PM
I think jerseydave meant streamed viewing, not extracting. Newbie confusion.
Ah. If that wa the case it definately confused me. But just in case that was the question, there is no way to do just plain viewing rather than downloading to a file. Sorry. That isn't what the tool is meant for. I believe there are other tools that do that now. TyStreamer or something like that.

OK, I see two lines in the release notes about SVCD but they don't explain the SVCD mux setting. What is that? Is it the pulldown support?
That is the same old feature just a new way to control it.

The SVCD output muxes using the SVCD format of 2324 bytes per PACK versus the 2048 bytes of the DVD spec.

Previous to this using something like VCDGear you would get a HUGE file after processing for disk. It would take the 2048 and just add a ~280 byte padding block to each one. To try and prevent that I added the SVCD mode. That is all that TyTool does with it. To actually make an SVCD with the output data you still need something like VCDGear.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Edit: Just tried burning the VOBs to DVDR and the CCs are there on a standalone DVD player. So I guess the CCs aren't in a standard "commercial DVD" format so PowerDVD doesn't recognize them? Anyway, thanks for the new feature!
Check the "Closed Captioning..." menu of PowerDVD. It is the right-click popup on the main display window. I have to turn it on there to get it to show up in PowerDVD. But it does work for me in everything from Version4 up the my latest which is version 6 something...

--jdiner

jdiner
12-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Um, well that, and it isn't working quite right, here. When I first tried, I could not change the frame size. I exited the app and re-entered, and I could expand the frame horizontally using the mouse, but whenever I click on the frame, the lower right position jumped to 869, but I could not change it with the mouse. After changing the lower right corner to 1000 with a text editor and moving the frame around a bit, it jumped to 945, instead of 869. I fiddled with the values some more, and now it's working.
Fiddled with the values in what? the .ini file? Just drag it around. That is what I do/did. It works here for me. Also try doing a "reset window" from the view menu. It puts everything back in a known state including all fo the resize code.

As for trying to set the size in the .ini file it is also affected by the sizer between the Now Playing list and the results area. So just changing one of the 2 entries in the .ini is a problem at best. Even though it doesn't render as something you can resize it can be. I tested it again here last night. Give that a while and let me know if you are still having problems.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-17-2005, 01:08 PM
I see the same AC3 checkbox undoing itself. This is a great tool! One question though.. Is VSplit built into the menu so there is no manual vsplit anymore?
Umm. I will have to look into that checkbox. It shouldn't be doing that so who knows.

As for the vsplit. No there will be another version. I plan to keep it up to date. I put in almost 60 hours at work this week on top of getting TyTool finished and out the door. I was just out of time. And since it was old I pulled it to prevent confusion. It will go back as soon as I can get to it.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Anybody know if this works or how to use it ? I would like to PUSH shows to my pc on a schedule at night while sleeping :)
It wasn't the archive. While I still have the program itself, the connection to TyTool was lost along with everything else. I will be putting it back. At present it isn't working. I should have pulled it from the todo list file. But I was in a hurry and missed it.

Lots of stuff to restore and that part is one fo the main ones.

--jdiner

falcomadol
12-17-2005, 02:07 PM
JD: You previously indicated that music channel streams would be working in ?this version? (next public version):

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=205027&postcount=30

Just wanted to report that they in fact are not working. TyTool has a kiniption when it attempts to either generate keyfiles (not really concerned about that...I just noticed because I do it by default) or mux them.

Otherwise, great release, thanks :D

=== edit

I'm one of those crazy people who has no C: drive btw :D

Well, I have one intermittently actually. Relates to a system drive crash/rebuild issue.

===

Oh yeah, if anyone is getting "bus error" when they execute tserver, the problem is that they ftp'd the file to the tivo using text mode. Reup in bin mode, and then chmod it.

cheer
12-17-2005, 02:17 PM
That's 1.21 Gigawatts, not 3.2. :)

Back on topic...THANK YOU for the resizeable GUI windows, JD! My 1400 x 900 laptop screen thanks you as well.

falcomadol
12-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Ah well I am now! :) The main window doesn't have a little triangle piece in the bottom right (the tserver output window does though) so I didn't realise it was resizable. Nice.Hm, yeah. Doubleclicking the titlebar also does not maximize the window (nor does a maximize button appear), so I also assumed it wasn't there.

falcomadol
12-17-2005, 02:22 PM
The "Fill AC3 holes" setting doesn't want to stay enabled here. Is anyone else seeing this?Confirmed.

scarabus
12-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Just in case anyone is wondering, TyTool 10r1 has the GOP issue with Maestro. I realise it's an unsupported combination, but thought I'd give it a try anyway.

snoots
12-17-2005, 03:27 PM
It wasn't the archive. While I still have the program itself, the connection to TyTool was lost along with everything else. I will be putting it back. At present it isn't working. I should have pulled it from the todo list file. But I was in a hurry and missed it.

Lots of stuff to restore and that part is one fo the main ones.

--jdiner
Thanks, I'm looking forward to that option to save steps and time down the road.

lrhorer
12-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Fiddled with the values in what? the .ini file? Just drag it around. That is what I do/did.
That's what I am saying - with the initial install it wouldn't work, at all. Clicking on the border caused the window to instantly jump to a smaller window which could not be re-sized. Exiting the application and re-entering allowed the width to be re-sized with the mouse, but not the height. The mouse cursor changed when clicking on the border, but moving it had no effect. When I first looked at the .ini file, I only edited the lower right corner. Doing so caused the GUI to be re-sized to the manual specification, but clicking on the border again caused the window to jump back to a much smaller size and the mouse could not re-size the height. Only after I made a couple of changes to the other size parameters did it start working... Wait, see below.

It works here for me. Also try doing a "reset window" from the view menu. It puts everything back in a known state including all fo the resize code.

I tried that and was able to reproduce the problem at least in part. After the reset, I went into the Preferences and set everything back as I like it, and the resize was working. I then started tserver, and the resize quit working. I tried minimizing the tserver window, but the resize was still locked. Then I hid the tserver window, and resizing started working again.

As for trying to set the size in the .ini file it is also affected by the sizer between the Now Playing list and the results area.

Even when the border resize is locked, the Now Playing list can be resized, but whenever the TServer Output window is up, the GUI borders are locked...

Actually, I just did a little more testing. Clicking on the minimize button of the TServer Output Window causes it to minimize, but clicking on the border of the GUI causes it to restore, and then the border is locked. Also, it isn't completely locked. Clicking on the border and moving the mouse now allows the border size to be changed by about 5 pixels each time. Hiding the TServer Output Window or stopping tserver allows normal changes to the GUI border...

OK, I just reproduced the scenario where clicking on the border causes the size to jump . Cick on Reset window and exit TyTool. Open Ty Tool, start tserver, and drag the GUI window down and out of the way of the TServer Output Window. A click on the border will cause the window size to jump from 810 x 618 pixels to 810 x 492 pixels. The sequence of commands is significant, because if one starts tserver but doesn't move the GUI window, the jump doesn't happen, and the height and the width only allow 5 pixel changes. After moving the window, the height jumps and is completely locked, while the width still allows 5 pixel changes. Hiding or exiting the TServer Output Window at this point won't resolve the issue. Once in this mode, exiting tserver or even exiting TyTool and getting back in won't allow the height to be changed. The width can be changed, but not the height. Only resetting the window or manually editing the .ini file will unlock the height.

lrhorer
12-17-2005, 04:24 PM
try doing a "reset window" from the view menu. It puts everything back in a known state including all fo the resize code.

This isn't exactly a request, since I personally don't care, but you might consider putting in a confirmation / warning dialogue on this option. You and I and the other more experienced users can all no doubt restore all the preferences in a heartbeat (well 3 or 4, anyway), without any anguish should we acidentally click the option, but it's liable to cause the noobs some heartache and probably subsequent whining when they inadvertantly wipe out all their preferences.

'Just a thought.

OH, BTW, the preferences window is a great idea. You've done another fine job, Sir, under unreasonable circumstances. My hat's off to you. (Alright, shut up in the back row! Yes, you can see my bald spot when I take my hat off.)

lrhorer
12-17-2005, 04:33 PM
I have a question. What does the No Info, Display Basic CC Info, and Display CC Debug Mesages selection do? Does this relate to the output in the text file, to processing for the GOP editor, or does it relate to the CC display itself?

lrhorer
12-17-2005, 05:01 PM
I have been getting rather poor network response of late. I noticed this quite some time before installing 10r1, so I'm fairly confidant it isn't the new release. Prior to the last few weeks, I would consistently get around 2 MBps, sometimes up to 2.2MBps, but recently I've been getting around 0.6 MBps. I can't think what the issue would be. I can easily transfer more than 25MBps to and from the file server, and Double Socket mode is working just fine. FTP transfers to and from the TiVo run right near the 2MBps mark. The tivo is sitting around 78% idle, and tserver is the largest CPU user during a transfer. Does anyone have any ideas?

kmt
12-17-2005, 05:51 PM
I just tried to use tytoolr10 to download and multiplex an HD recording off an HDTIVO.
What I get is continued
New LII audio bug Detected... Correction in progress...

messages, and the saved mpg file has video but no audio.

Suggestions?

eastwind
12-17-2005, 05:51 PM
I have been getting rather poor network response of late. I noticed this quite some time before installing 10r1, so I'm fairly confidant it isn't the new release. Prior to the last few weeks, I would consistently get around 2 MBps, sometimes up to 2.2MBps, but recently I've been getting around 0.6 MBps. I can't think what the issue would be. I can easily transfer more than 25MBps to and from the file server, and Double Socket mode is working just fine. FTP transfers to and from the TiVo run right near the 2MBps mark. The tivo is sitting around 78% idle, and tserver is the largest CPU user during a transfer. Does anyone have any ideas?
What happens when you try Single Socket mode?

ew

lrhorer
12-17-2005, 06:21 PM
What happens when you try Single Socket mode?ew
I hadn't tried it.

Oh, now that's weird. The throughput doubles in Single Socket mode. It shouldn't do that. I'm getting about 1.3MBps in Single Socket mode.

eastwind
12-17-2005, 07:20 PM
I hadn't tried it.

Oh, now that's weird. The throughput doubles in Single Socket mode. It shouldn't do that. I'm getting about 1.3MBps in Single Socket mode.
I just remembered seeing something about S2s transferring faster in Single Socket mode. Don't know if there was a reason given, but I think it was just an observation.

ew

falcomadol
12-17-2005, 07:46 PM
I just tried to use tytoolr10 to download and multiplex an HD recording off an HDTIVO.
What I get is continued

messages, and the saved mpg file has video but no audio.

Suggestions?This actually seems to be a problem with other types of streams as well. I just pulled one off of Showtime from standard and it was all busted. May be a problem in the audio hole fix?

Worked fine on a regular ESPN stream.

lrhorer
12-17-2005, 08:14 PM
I just remembered seeing something about S2s transferring faster in Single Socket mode. Don't know if there was a reason given, but I think it was just an observation.

It shouldn't (And reportedy doesn't) make much difference for an S2, but this is an S1.

I think I've found the problem, however, and it's not good. Our company went to a new VPN client (Cisco) a few weeks ago, and it automatically sets the MTU to 1300. Without the MTU set to 1300, the client croaks. With the MTU set to 1300, double socket mode creeps along. I'm not sure why this is the case, at all, but when I set the MTU back to 1500, I get rates in excess of 2.2MBps.

Jamie,

Do you have any notion why an MTU of 1300 would cause tserver to slow down by 75%? I don't even see why it makes much of a difference, at all.

eastwind
12-17-2005, 08:31 PM
It shouldn't (And reportedy doesn't) make much difference for an S2, but this is an S1.

I think I've found the problem, however, and it's not good. Our company went to a new VPN client (Cisco) a few weeks ago, and it automatically sets the MTU to 1300. Without the MTU set to 1300, the client croaks. With the MTU set to 1300, double socket mode creeps along. I'm not sure why this is the case, at all, but when I set the MTU back to 1500, I get rates in excess of 2.2MBps.

Jamie,

Do you have any notion why an MTU of 1300 would cause tserver to slow down by 75%? I don't even see why it makes much of a difference, at all.Sorry if I'm butting in (since you were asking Jamie)....

Could it be because the TiVo is trying to push an MTU of 1500? Would that cause enough overhead to slow it down that much?

ew

Jamie
12-17-2005, 10:25 PM
Could it be because the TiVo is trying to push an MTU of 1500? Would that cause enough overhead to slow it down that much?Yes, I expect if you set the tivo mtu to 1300 too your performance would improve (but it would be a little worse than with a 1500 mtu). I would have thought the linux kernel would do path mtu discovery to choose an appropriate end-to-end mtu, but maybe not. I suppose you can check /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc. If 0, it _should_ be doing pmtu.

cheer
12-17-2005, 11:17 PM
Could it be because the TiVo is trying to push an MTU of 1500? Would that cause enough overhead to slow it down that much?
Heck yeah...badbad fragmentation. As Jamie pointed out, linux ought to be doing mtu discovery, but if it's not...

snoots
12-17-2005, 11:55 PM
I bought gig e adapters and switch that support jumbo frames. I have 2 HDTIVOs with the latest backported drivers and I have set them to jumbo frames as well. Do all the devices on the network that are running gig e have to have the exact same MTU settings or can they be set at different values. At one point I got over 5megs/sec using the new tytool but as I have been messing around with things it went down to 2.5 or so. Any guidance appreciated,

Snoots

lrhorer
12-18-2005, 04:08 AM
I suppose you can check /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc. If 0, it _should_ be doing pmtu.

It's zero.

Zak0
12-18-2005, 04:11 AM
Is 10r1 missing a preference setting to disable auto-generation of .chp files, or did I miss it? I swear I had that disabled in 9r18 since I almost never go to DVD, but maybe I imagined it. :)

Thanks,
-Zak

jdiner
12-18-2005, 04:17 AM
JD: You previously indicated that music channel streams would be working in ?this version? (next public version):
Yeah. It got eaten by the raid failure. I lost 4 or so months worth of development. I have the core of it in a previously forked dev tree and will be putting it back. It won't be that bad the second time around. I have it tracking the audio only but as it stands 10r1 is strill tying to lock onto a non-existant video stream for error detection/correction purposes.

I'm one of those crazy people who has no C: drive btw :D

Well, I have one intermittently actually. Relates to a system drive crash/rebuild issue.
So how do you boot? Does it show up as a different letter or are you actually running windows with no hard drive at all. That would be... interesting.

Oh yeah, if anyone is getting "bus error" when they execute tserver, the problem is that they ftp'd the file to the tivo using text mode. Reup in bin mode, and then chmod it.
Still not sure if the one in the archive is good or bad. I have to run a hex diff and see. Will do it in the morning.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-18-2005, 04:18 AM
That's 1.21 Gigawatts, not 3.2. :)

Back on topic...THANK YOU for the resizeable GUI windows, JD! My 1400 x 900 laptop screen thanks you as well.
Ah yes. Now that you have written it here that is what it was supposed to be... Seemed off to me and now I know as why.

Yeah the resizable GUI has come in handy. The ability to shrink below the norm has made it useful on my HTPC when needed out on the TV. Should have done it a long time ago but it was minor compared to some of the other problems.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-18-2005, 04:19 AM
Hm, yeah. Doubleclicking the titlebar also does not maximize the window (nor does a maximize button appear), so I also assumed it wasn't there.
I turn thed the maximize button on. Never tried the title bar. I don't personally do it that way so it never even occured to me to test it.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-18-2005, 04:20 AM
Just in case anyone is wondering, TyTool 10r1 has the GOP issue with Maestro. I realise it's an unsupported combination, but thought I'd give it a try anyway.
Yeah. Nothing was ever done about it. If it would have fixed it that would be one of those moments where stars align and you hear the singing of angels and wonder what on earth just happened...

--jdiner

jdiner
12-18-2005, 04:26 AM
This isn't exactly a request, since I personally don't care, but you might consider putting in a confirmation / warning dialogue on this option. You and I and the other more experienced users can all no doubt restore all the preferences in a heartbeat (well 3 or 4, anyway), without any anguish should we acidentally click the option, but it's liable to cause the noobs some heartache and probably subsequent whining when they inadvertantly wipe out all their preferences.
It only changes the window size. Not the rest of the TyTool preferences. Location, size, slider/sizer are what get reset. There is no way to reduce doing that. I suppose I could put an are you sure on it but it doesn't seem needed.

BTW, you were right on the resize oddities. It never occured to me to try it with the server window up. In the last 8 months since that code was written I never tried that once. Odd. Really really odd behaviour there.

I have had just about enough of this finding bugs crap. You people should learn to just use it. Think of me as Microsoft from here on out.... :)

--jdiner

jdiner
12-18-2005, 04:27 AM
I have a question. What does the No Info, Display Basic CC Info, and Display CC Debug Mesages selection do? Does this relate to the output in the text file, to processing for the GOP editor, or does it relate to the CC display itself?
Check the docs I wrote for a detailed explanation. The 10r1 release notes file.

They control the detail level of the information being logged.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-18-2005, 04:30 AM
That speed, 1.6m/s or so, is pretty normal for a single socket on an S1 box.

My suggestion would be get ethereal or some packet sniffer and look at what is really going on. I saw serious slowdown when I put a wireless router in the mix. Immediately killed my speed. Not a gradual loss over time though.

What if anything has changed? New MS hotfixes? new programs installed? Something had to have altered. And if FTP and others to the tivo are still going full speed then something is serious not right somewhere...

--jdiner

jdiner
12-18-2005, 04:34 AM
Do you have any notion why an MTU of 1300 would cause tserver to slow down by 75%? I don't even see why it makes much of a difference, at all.
My guess would be how things are optimized/configured in the Turbonet drivers. I would bet they expect it to be 1500 flat out. But if the machine and the tivo are local and don't need the extern VPN you should be able to create/configure a local address right up to and including adding a second network card, putting a non-VPN IP address on it and connecting that into the local network with the tivo.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-18-2005, 04:36 AM
This actually seems to be a problem with other types of streams as well. I just pulled one off of Showtime from standard and it was all busted. May be a problem in the audio hole fix?

Worked fine on a regular ESPN stream.
What streams from what tivos and what OS versions are you getting the LII errors from?

I have recorded, downloaded and processed 100+ episodes of "30 minute meals" and never seen it once. You basically never should. It might be mis-diagnosing things but that isn't right. Check the first few lines of the processing call output. Did it detect the right version of the tivo? Etc...

That isn't good. In all of my test streams and streams sent to me by others there have been 3 of them. Just 3.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-18-2005, 04:38 AM
Heck yeah...badbad fragmentation. As Jamie pointed out, linux ought to be doing mtu discovery, but if it's not...
ON a series 1 it is not. Which is why the double socket mode is faster at all. Some of the previous net-wizards that where here did a thorough check and found that it was never changing. Going double socket mode puts the burden for part of that process on the PC rather than the tivo and it get done and things do change to 1500. Otherwise in single socket mode it was the modem MTU of 500 something. 541 or something odd like that.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-18-2005, 04:40 AM
Is 10r1 missing a preference setting to disable auto-generation of .chp files, or did I miss it? I swear I had that disabled in 9r18 since I almost never go to DVD, but maybe I imagined it. :)
There has never ever been a way to disable, supress or control the generation of the .chp files when making a VOB. If you don't want to go DVD then just a plain old vanilla MUX and it won't make that file.

--jdiner

lrhorer
12-18-2005, 04:59 AM
It only changes the window size. Not the rest of the TyTool preferences. Location, size, slider/sizer are what get reset.

Hmm. You're right, of course. At some point in the testing, something slammed all the settings. I don't know what. I just assumed it was the reset, and after that I didn't bother to reset anything until after I had tested out the resize thing. 'Sorry for the confusion.

lrhorer
12-18-2005, 05:05 AM
That speed, 1.6m/s or so, is pretty normal for a single socket on an S1 box.

Yes, but .6 M in double socket is not.

My suggestion would be get ethereal or some packet sniffer and look at what is really going on.

That's the first thing I did, of course, before I even posted here. I don't see anything indicative of a problem.

What if anything has changed? New MS hotfixes?

Nope, just the new VPN. It has a dead blunt firewall when active, so nothing gets by except the server and that only on one UDP port. It automatically sets the MTU to 1300 on instyallation and croaks if it is set back to 1500.

lrhorer
12-18-2005, 05:13 AM
My guess would be how things are optimized/configured in the Turbonet drivers. I would bet they expect it to be 1500 flat out.
No, they appear to be working properly with pmtu enabled in the kernel. All the TCP packets are 1260 bytes, making the Ethernet packets 1314 bytes.

But if the machine and the tivo are local and don't need the extern VPN you should be able to create/configure a local address right up to and including adding a second network card, putting a non-VPN IP address on it and connecting that into the local network with the tivo.
Unfortunately, the Cisco client croaks (refuses to run, actually) if any network interface - even the firewire interface - has an MTU of 1500. The client claims the service isn't started, although the MS services utility says it has. Set all network interfaces to 1300, reboot, and the client can run.

lrhorer
12-18-2005, 05:15 AM
Think of me as Microsoft from here on out.... :)

You mean you have about $26 Billion in the bank?

Daddy - I've found you!!

jdiner
12-18-2005, 05:28 AM
Hmm. You're right, of course. At some point in the testing, something slammed all the settings. I don't know what. I just assumed it was the reset, and after that I didn't bother to reset anything until after I had tested out the resize thing. 'Sorry for the confusion.
That's really odd. There is only 1 place in the code they are all set. On loading. If the file wasn't available it would reset to the defaults. But since it doesn't lock the file it shouldn't ever happen. If you find something that does it then please by all means pass it on and I will look into it.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-18-2005, 05:30 AM
Yes, but .6 M in double socket is not.
Oh I agree. I was talking only of the 1.6 in single socket mode.

Nope, just the new VPN. It has a dead blunt firewall when active, so nothing gets by except the server and that only on one UDP port. It automatically sets the MTU to 1300 on instyallation and croaks if it is set back to 1500.
Wow. Great piece of software there. Do you have to use it all the time? Is it one that can be turned off when not needed? At my work we use the cisco VPN software and it is turned on only when needed. So only a minor interference.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-18-2005, 05:32 AM
You mean you have about $26 Billion in the bank?
Shhhhh... Not so loud. Everyone will want some now. hehehe.

Actually I was thinking of the just release it as is and see what happens mentality and then ignore all bug reports and just do whatever you want in the next release.

Oh wait... did I say that out loud? :)

--jdiner

dlang
12-18-2005, 05:33 AM
the cisco VPN needs space for it's own overhead which is why the MTU is getting set to a smaller value (1426 should be small enough, but 1300 is an absolutly safe value, it allows multiple layers of tunnels)

if you go into /etc/rc.d and find the ifconfig statement that configures your IP address (in rc.arch on my box) and add mtu 1300 to the end of the line it should set the tivo to match your system

remember that the linux kernel on the tivo is a 2.1 kernel (very old). I've had other problems with pmtu on newer linux kernels.

lrhorer
12-18-2005, 05:47 AM
Yes, I expect if you set the tivo mtu to 1300 too your performance would improve

It shouldn't. Something else has to be going on here.

I would have thought the linux kernel would do path mtu discovery to choose an appropriate end-to-end mtu

First of all, it appears it is. There is no packet fragmentation, and all the packets are 1260 bytes. Even if it weren't, however, it shouldn't make a difference. The packets are not encapsulated, and they are not being forwarded by anything at layer 3. Of course, if the TiVo sent a 1500 byte packet to the PC and the PC was forwarding packets elsewhere, it would fragment the packet, because its own MTU is 1300, but that shouldn't make a difference when the packet is already at its destination.

Besides, even if every packet were 1500 and even if every packet were fragmented, it still shouldn't slow down the process by 75%. At worst it should drop the performance by 10% or 20%, if that. I mean, crimeny, we wouldn't be doubling, let alone quadrupling, the number of bytes on the wire, the packet overhead (54 bytes) just isn't that high. After all, it manages 1.3MBps just fine with a 576 byte MTU (single socket mode). The additional processing time isn't anything like that high, either. It's a 2.8G processor, and we're only talking about roughly 1600 packets per second, or 3200 if it were fragmented. The PC could easily forward 10 times that. As a matter of fact, it does so quite readily. I can transfer a file from via SMB from another machine through this one and back out to the file server at over 170Mbps, or 13,000pps, and that's AFTER fully decoding the packets, passing them to SMB, packaging them back up, and sending them back out.

The nail in the coffin's head, however, is that I can do an FTP and still get around 2 MBps with the MTU set to 1300. The kernel and pmtu can't be the issue, especially since all the IP packets - whether FTP or tserver Double Socket mode - are properly limited to 1300 bytes.

lrhorer
12-18-2005, 05:51 AM
Actually I was thinking of the just release it as is and see what happens mentality
Yeah, but that mentality has a lot to do with having a few $Billion in the bank, and vice-versa.

lrhorer
12-18-2005, 05:58 AM
Otherwise in single socket mode it was the modem MTU of 500 something. 541 or something odd like that.
576, looks like. The Ethernet packets are 590 bytes. That doesn't mean pmtu isn't working, however. On an inbound connection, pmtu is set by the receiving device (the TiVo, in this case). On an outbound connection (double socket mode has the TiVo initiate the connection), the host queries the path (in this case the target PC) for the MTU.

lrhorer
12-18-2005, 06:13 AM
Wow. Great piece of software there.

Rather typical Cisco, actually.

Do you have to use it all the time? Is it one that can be turned off when not needed?

It is always turned off except when needed. Otherwise the PC could not communicate with anything on any interface anywhere except the VPN server over the internet connection. It shuts off all communications on all interfaces except the internet interface and only allows one in bound UDP port to be open on that interface. Everything else is shut down tight.

Turning off the VPN client is not the issue. It's the fact the client will not initialize (when needed) if any network interface has an MTU of 1500. Setting the MTU requires rebooting the computer. I can't really afford to have to reboot the computer every time I need to fire up the VPN. A 1300 byte MTU should not really be that big a problem, though. If everything else is working properly, the additional overhead should only amount to a few percent decrease in throughput, not 75%.

lrhorer
12-18-2005, 06:21 AM
the cisco VPN needs space
Yes, I know, thanks.

if you go into /etc/rc.d and find the ifconfig statement
I'll give it a shot, but I'm very skeptical. In the first place, pmtu seems to be working. All the Ethernet packets are 1314 bytes max. Secondly, as I just mentioned, ftp works fine. If this were a layer 3 issue at all, I should be having the same problem with all protocols layer 3 and above.

mike0151
12-18-2005, 07:13 AM
I had these problems last year and posted about them when I installed a Cisco VPN client on my systems (for work purposes). I used the client Set MTU software supplied to reset my LAN adapter back to default and that sorted the extraction speed without causing problems using the VPN client.

HTH
Mike

skmeier
12-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Check the "Closed Captioning..." menu of PowerDVD. It is the right-click popup on the main display window. I have to turn it on there to get it to show up in PowerDVD. But it does work for me in everything from Version4 up the my latest which is version 6 something...

--jdiner

I had the same experience as logic_88: captions show up on my standalone player, but in PowerDVD, the Closed Captions menu item was greyed out. But then I found that I could use IfoEdit to set the "CC for Line 21-1" bit, and then PowerDVD will happily display the captions.

Thanks jdiner for getting CC to work! My wife refuses to watch anything without captions (english is not her first language), and so she has been unimpressed by the results of TyTool so far. I've got a huge backlog of shows just waiting for this day.

TivoBlues
12-18-2005, 01:03 PM
Well it is exectuable so that is good. Make sure it went up in binary mode.

Telnet in manually and try running it.

Put the "S2-TiVo#" in the prompt section.

Watch the little window that pops up to see what is really being received.

Go to the FAQ and read the section on troubleshooting just this problem.

The default path in the config file is /var/hack/1 which is where I put it. If you don't have a 1 in your path but it is in the string you are going to have problems.

--jdiner

I can manually start the Tserver from telnet. I have tried all the different server strings and I know the server prompt string is correct because that's what telnet is showing. Any other ideas
Thanks
This is what I get when I go in through telnet-

S2-TiVo# cd /var/hack
S2-TiVo# ./tserver_mfs7
bash: ./tserver_mfs7: No such file or directory
S2-TiVo# ./tserver
Doing the Lowest PriorityFix...
Waiting for an incoming connection!
SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'SHOWING'
invalid attribute: TimeZone
while executing
"dbobj $setup get TimeZone"
("uplevel" body line 5)
invoked from within
"uplevel $body"
invoked from within
"transaction {uplevel $body}"
(procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
invoked from within
"RetryTransaction {
set setup [db $db open /Setup]

# set defrecquality [dbobj $setup get RecordQuality]
set setuptz [dbobj $setup ..."
(procedure "init_db" line 45)
invoked from within
"init_db"
(file "./NowShowing.tcl" line 480)

falcomadol
12-18-2005, 01:42 PM
What streams from what tivos and what OS versions are you getting the LII errors from?

I have recorded, downloaded and processed 100+ episodes of "30 minute meals" and never seen it once. You basically never should. It might be mis-diagnosing things but that isn't right. Check the first few lines of the processing call output. Did it detect the right version of the tivo? Etc...

That isn't good. In all of my test streams and streams sent to me by others there have been 3 of them. Just 3.

--jdinerI've got the Samsung SIR-S4120R. Software version 6.2-01-2-381.

=== output

Detected Tivo Type: Series2
Detected Audio Stream Type: Dolby Digital 5.1
Final standardAudioSize = 1552
Final standardFrameLength = 1536
Final standardAudioDiff = 2880 or 00:00:00.032
First Video PTS: 00:03:06.378

[redacted...continues for many many lines]

DiffTime = 438.734021 (438734) == 7.312234 Minutes

total = 1233256448 (1176 MB)

Done with 'G:\12-17-05-Mad Dog Time--2.ty'...If you want me to record a couple sample streams and put them online, I can do that.

falcomadol
12-18-2005, 02:26 PM
http://tystreamsample.subbuteoclub.com/samplestream.7z

Ok, just pulled a short stream down from Showtime2. It displays the issue described above and is a standard stream (no HDTivo here). I also included the log file from my "VOB-mux (new format)" operation.

There is also something else strange about the output VOB file. When it is played back in PowerDVD, it skips a lot of frames. This is probably related to whatever "fixes" are being applied to the "LII audio bug".

jdiner
12-18-2005, 02:53 PM
576, looks like. The Ethernet packets are 590 bytes. That doesn't mean pmtu isn't working, however. On an inbound connection, pmtu is set by the receiving device (the TiVo, in this case). On an outbound connection (double socket mode has the TiVo initiate the connection), the host queries the path (in this case the target PC) for the MTU.
576 sounds about right.

But on the rest... Ummm. Yeah what is exactly what I said.

Going double socket puts the burden of the process on the client PC. Going the other way with the tivo acting as the server side of the same process the MTU is never increased beyond the norm for a modem based process.

Now whether that was intentional or accidental on the part of TIVO I can't speak to. All I can tell you is what was saw. Regardless of how it should work in a proper setup that is what it is doing currently.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-18-2005, 03:03 PM
A 1300 byte MTU should not really be that big a problem, though. If everything else is working properly, the additional overhead should only amount to a few percent decrease in throughput, not 75%.
You are giving the protocol stack in use way way to much credit. Drive it just a lit bit too hard and it will lock up the tivo completely. Drive it a little less hard and you just get a reboot. Run too many network programs and you get various issues.

I do not disagree with you one bit. It should work the way you want it too. But you seem to be operating under the false impression that it actually will or can be made too do so. There were those here, run a search for the threads, that tried and tried and tried to get it to work properly with no sucess. Given the custom/modified kernel in use, the nature of the problem, etc...

Hence the creation of the double socket mode for the S1 tivos. It short-circuited a number of the problems/limitations. But it is also something of a house of cards on the S1's to be completely honest. Get it all setup right and you get much faster speeds. Get something wrong or even just different and the 0.6meg seems to be a very common speed to drop to.

I know you want a fix/solution/magic cure but one hasn't been found yet. If you should find one then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE share your solution. It should carrry over at least in part to a solution when using certain wireless controllers etc...

--jdiner

jdiner
12-18-2005, 03:06 PM
I had the same experience as logic_88: captions show up on my standalone player, but in PowerDVD, the Closed Captions menu item was greyed out. But then I found that I could use IfoEdit to set the "CC for Line 21-1" bit, and then PowerDVD will happily display the captions.

Thanks jdiner for getting CC to work! My wife refuses to watch anything without captions (english is not her first language), and so she has been unimpressed by the results of TyTool so far. I've got a huge backlog of shows just waiting for this day.
Humm. That bit should be being turned on by the call to DVDAuthor. Might be another something that got lost on me in the most recent crash. I will look into it.

For those that don't want to wait you can use the tool the same way skmeier and I have done to manually turn it on. Isn't hard to do.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-18-2005, 03:08 PM
I can manually start the Tserver from telnet. I have tried all the different server strings and I know the server prompt string is correct because that's what telnet is showing. Any other ideas

Upgrade to the new version of tserver it doesn't even use the NowShowing.tcl and doesn't have this problem.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-18-2005, 03:09 PM
I've got the Samsung SIR-S4120R. Software version 6.2-01-2-381.
Humm. 6.2 was the culprit before too.

So what is going on when you process? Are you just seeing reports of the problem being fixed like that? or is something actually going wrong? Please be as specific as possible.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-18-2005, 03:11 PM
http://tystreamsample.subbuteoclub.com/samplestream.7z

Ok, just pulled a short stream down from Showtime2. It displays the issue described above and is a standard stream (no HDTivo here). I also included the log file from my "VOB-mux (new format)" operation.

There is also something else strange about the output VOB file. When it is played back in PowerDVD, it skips a lot of frames. This is probably related to whatever "fixes" are being applied to the "LII audio bug".
Actually no. The LII audio bug is often related to some serious video damage in he file. For whatever the reason you are getting some pretty crap streams. I wonder why??? Rain fade? Snow on the dish? Trees? Buildings?

What signal strength are you getting on the transponder carrying showtime2?

--jdiner

lrhorer
12-18-2005, 05:17 PM
I had these problems last year and posted about them when I installed a Cisco VPN client on my systems (for work purposes). I used the client Set MTU software supplied to reset my LAN adapter back to default and that sorted the extraction speed without causing problems using the VPN client.

I tried that. 'No joy. When I select the client, the PC thinks for a while, then pops up a dialogue saying something like, "The Cisco service is not running, please start... blah blah, blah", and then exits.

I also tried using ifconfig to hard set the MTU on the TiVo. 'Again, no joy. I get .6 - .7 MBps maximum in double socket mode.

mike0151
12-18-2005, 05:26 PM
I tried that. 'No joy. When I select the client, the PC thinks for a while, then pops up a dialogue saying something like, "The Cisco service is not running, please start... blah blah, blah", and then exits.

I also tried using ifconfig to hard set the MTU on the TiVo. 'Again, no joy. I get .6 - .7 MBps maximum in double socket mode.

Try this, it's the one that works for me.

TivoBlues
12-18-2005, 06:19 PM
Upgrade to the new version of tserver it doesn't even use the NowShowing.tcl and doesn't have this problem.

--jdiner

I thought that Tserver was corrupt, the one that came with 10r1 or is there another one I should be using ?

scarabus
12-18-2005, 06:38 PM
I've got one an LII error that kills TyTool.
When trying to generate the key file it prints the LII error several times then TyTool dies.
The stream is 800Mb and is from a Sony SAT-T60. If you want it, let me know how - mail me at scarabus at gmail dot com

Generating KeyFrame File: G:\Sesame\Sesame Street--3.ty
Detected Tivo Type: DTivo
Detected Audio Stream Type: MPEG Layer II
Final standardAudioSize = 588
Final standardFrameLength = 576
Final standardAudioDiff = 2160 or 00:00:00.024
First Video PTS: 00:00:47.177
......... 100.....

!!! BAD
sample rate code == 32 (2)
frame size code == 0x3A 58
Bit Rate == 160

bsid == 26
bsmod == 0
acmod == 5
cmixlev == 2
surmixlev == 2
lfeon == 1
dialnorm == 6
compre == 0
langcode == 1
langcod == 157
audprodie == 1
mixlevel == 22
roomtyp == 0
copyrightb == 1
origbs == 1
timecod1e == 1
timecod1 == 3485
timecod2e == 0
addbsie == 1

... and TyTool dies.

cobbmtn1
12-18-2005, 06:55 PM

--jdiner
JD, there was talk earlier in the thread about the tserver for SA Series 1 being corrupt in the 10R1 zip file, I was wondering it you had a chance to check that out yet.

Thanks,

Cobbmtn1

lrhorer
12-18-2005, 07:00 PM
Try this, it's the one that works for me.
Now that's weird, too. The file you sent looks exactly like the utility which came with my client (released 12/8/05), but when I use your utility to set the MTU to 1500 on the Gig interface, the VPN client works. When I use the one which came with my client, it doesn't.

lrhorer
12-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Well, I've got Double Socket working by using the utility mike0151 sent me, but if someone wants to look into the Double Socket mode with an MTU of 1300 issue, I have Etherreal captures of the transfers. For some reason, the quite ordinarily expected pauses in the frame transmissions are much higher (sometimes well over 100ms) when the MTU is set to 1300. Attached is a Word doc showing the graphs.

Jamie
12-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Well, I've got Double Socket working by using the utility mike0151 sent me, but if someone wants to look into the Double Socket mode with an MTU of 1300 issue, I have Etherreal captures of the transfers. For some reason, the quite ordinarily expected pauses in the frame transmissions are much higher (sometimes well over 100ms) when the MTU is set to 1300.One thing you might try is to use a crossover cable for a direct connection between the tivo and the PC. This could rule out/in the hub/switch between them as causing the problem.

For what is is worth, I use the Cisco VPN client software myself, and I run a gige adapter with jumbo frames (9000 mtu), and I've never experienced this problem. I'm running with Series2 hardware (240,264,540). It's been a while since I've booted windows -- I'll try it again to verify.

lrhorer
12-18-2005, 07:30 PM
This could rule out/in the hub/switch between them as causing the problem.
How could it be? There are no errors or re-transmissions, so layer 1 and 2 are working. That, and like I said, layer 3 works fine for FTP.

I'm running with Series2 hardware (240,264,540). It's been a while since I've booted windows -- I'll try it again to verify.
This is a series I. Apparently the Series II doesn't have the issue with the 576 byte MTU, so Double Socket mode is not necessary. Are you even running Double Socket mode? I uploaded a snapshot of the I/O profiles in the previous message, and I can send you the captures, if you want. (BTW, I have confirmed pmtu is definitely working on outbound connections. Even with the MTU hard set to 1300, pmtu resets it to 1500 when the PC's MTU is 1500.)

newlooper
12-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Well I tried it with Ulead Video Studio and it crashes VS saying there is a problem with the source files. Is there an output that works with the Ulead products? I am using the new Multiplex Format. Should I be using the old?

newlooper
12-18-2005, 08:23 PM
JD,
I just wanted to say thanks. I am sure you are getting overwhelmed by all of the bugs and "not bugs" being reported. You have worked hard and deserve a break.

Jamie
12-18-2005, 08:51 PM
How could it be? There are no errors or re-transmissions, so layer 1 and 2 are working. That, and like I said, layer 3 works fine for FTP.Theoretical arguments are fine, but experiments that verify theory are essential too. It's not hard to try; why not? Long pauses between transmissions sounds like flow control (http://www.networkworld.com/netresources/0913flow.html). I've seen many performance issues caused by flow control with ethernet switches. I don't know if/how the eth frame size might interact with the flow control, but it's certainly possible that it does.
This is a series I. Apparently the Series II doesn't have the issue with the 576 byte MTU, so Double Socket mode is not necessary. Are you even running Double Socket mode?Yes: it is the default, at least with the tytool I'm using (still the previous version -- haven't upgraded yet).

lrhorer
12-18-2005, 11:15 PM
Theoretical arguments are fine, but experiments that verify theory are essential too. It's not hard to try; why not?
I don't have my crimpers here. I'll have one of the guys come by my house (I'm on PTO) and make up a crossover cable tomorrow or Tuesday, but I'll bet a steak dinner it isn't a layer 2 issue.

Long pauses between transmissions sounds like flow control.
These are dumb switches (no flow control) and flow control is disabled on the PC. Besides, why would any device issue more pause frames for 1300 byte frames than 576 byte frames? The network load is higher with 576 byte frames and the packet load is MUCH higher. What's more, the total load is a fraction of what the switches can handle. Again, finally, it's obviously not generating pause frames for ftp transfers from theTiVo at over 2MBps, nor from other sources at over 30 MBps, nor from the TiVo using TyTool at over 2MBps when the MTU is set for 1500.

I'm also somewhat skeptical the CacheCard supports pause frames.

Of course I can't verify this, because I don't have sniffer software for the TiVo.

Jamie
12-18-2005, 11:47 PM
I don't have my crimpers here. I'll have one of the guys come by my house (I'm on PTO) and make up a crossover cable tomorrow or Tuesday, but I'll bet a steak dinner it isn't a layer 2 issue.Modern PC nic cards are often auto mdi/mdx, so you might be able to use a straight through cable for a direct connection.
...I don't have sniffer software for the TiVo.tcpdump is easy to cross-compile for mips. I suspect it is easy for ppc too.

FredThompson
12-19-2005, 01:14 AM
How about an option to sort the entries to the TiVo default?

This makes it real easy to wipe out the auto-suggestions. They're at the bottom of the default setting.

A lot of people turn them off. I like them on because every so often the box actually does grab something I'd like to see.

jdiner
12-19-2005, 01:16 AM
Well I tried it with Ulead Video Studio and it crashes VS saying there is a problem with the source files. Is there an output that works with the Ulead products? I am using the new Multiplex Format. Should I be using the old?
Not really, no. I tried over and over a while back until i finally gave up. Basically the ulead tools expect a perfectly formed DVD compliant MPEG source file. Since that is basically never the case with a DTV or Stand-alone tivo source stream it limits things seriously.

The ULead tools insist on resolution being 100% legal, possible from an SA not from a DTV stream. They insist on GOP length accuracy. Not garanteed on either tivo but closer much more often on an SA.

There is a ulead compatibility mode but it works only with GOP editing, not with FAE, and it made cut points look ugly. Really ugly since it padded on extra frames (usually in the commercial portion of the show) to try and make ulead happy.

But it begs the question why use them? These ongoing problems are why TyTool has a menu creation system inside of it. You can go all the way to DVD output without the trouble and the worry.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-19-2005, 01:24 AM
How about an option to sort the entries to the TiVo default?

This makes it real easy to wipe out the auto-suggestions. They're at the bottom of the default setting.
No can do. Not that I don't want too, well I don't but that is personal preference as I am one of those that turn them off, but I have never seen anything in the retreived data to indicated the recording "nature" of the show. So I can't make a distinction and so can't filter on it.

--jdiner

FredThompson
12-19-2005, 01:31 AM
How about a way to disable the auto-sort when the list is retrieved? That would work and be very easy to add to TyTool.

jdiner
12-19-2005, 01:52 AM
How about a way to disable the auto-sort when the list is retrieved? That would work and be very easy to add to TyTool.
Actually it doesn't work the way you want. That is how it was done originally. It doesn't come out in the order on the tv screen without any sorting at all. That was how it was done in the first place. It was ugly searching manually to find what was going on. Hence the searching options.

Parhaps if you asked Jamie very very nicely, since he wrote the new non-script now playing list code, he could see if he can't find something that would work to do that.

--jdiner

eastwind
12-19-2005, 02:03 AM
Or if you have a NowShowing.tcl file that you've tweaked, you could use that as your script to get the output just the way you want it.

ew

jdiner
12-19-2005, 02:44 AM
Or if you have a NowShowing.tcl file that you've tweaked, you could use that as your script to get the output just the way you want it.
Very true. So if anyone knows how to tell the different post the details...

--jdiner

eastwind
12-19-2005, 03:27 AM
Very true. So if anyone knows how to tell the different post the details...

--jdiner
Looks like TWP lists Suggestions at the bottom. At least on my 6.2 system. If someone were really interested in getting the list that way (I'm not), they could probably figure it out by digging through the ui.itcl code.

ew

FredThompson
12-19-2005, 03:46 AM
Heh, that's funny. My original post about the sort order included a comment about integration with TivoWebPlus and wondering what neat stuff could be accomplished that way but I removed it.

Seemed a way to report space used, too.

newlooper
12-19-2005, 08:43 AM
Not really, no. I tried over and over a while back until i finally gave up. Basically the ulead tools expect a perfectly formed DVD compliant MPEG source file. Since that is basically never the case with a DTV or Stand-alone tivo source stream it limits things seriously.

But it begs the question why use them? These ongoing problems are why TyTool has a menu creation system inside of it. You can go all the way to DVD output without the trouble and the worry.

--jdiner

I guess I just really wanted to know why. Thanks for explaining. I have a lot of money tied up in various video programs. Any idea about Pinnacle? Not expecting a long explanation just curious.

scarabus
12-19-2005, 12:00 PM
I guess I just really wanted to know why. Thanks for explaining. I have a lot of money tied up in various video programs. Any idea about Pinnacle? Not expecting a long explanation just curious.
I tried Pinnacle Studio 9 the other day. It would import the MPEGs OK but the audio got out of sync when I rendered a DVD.
Which is annoying as one of the things I want to be able to do is to extract and transcode to DIVX using Studio.

cheer
12-19-2005, 12:43 PM
I tried Pinnacle Studio 9 the other day. It would import the MPEGs OK but the audio got out of sync when I rendered a DVD.
Which is annoying as one of the things I want to be able to do is to extract and transcode to DIVX using Studio.
If you want DIVX, just multiplex to mpg with TyTool and then use AutoGK.

For DVD mastering, I get great results with DVD-Lab using it's "alternate" muxing mode, which seems to handle Tivo files nicely.

kmt
12-19-2005, 01:00 PM
What streams from what tivos and what OS versions are you getting the LII --jdiner

In my case I am running on XP downloading an HD stream recorded on an HDTIVO running 3.1.5. The stream is a Battlestar recorded from Universal HD.

When I do the combo download multiplex with 10r1, I get continuous LII errors and no audio in the mpg file.

If I use 10r1 to download the ty and then multiplex, no LII errors, the mpg has audio, but the log does show about 20 "BAD DUMPS" for the hour stream. None of the errors are near the beginning.

If I use 9r18 on the same stream no errors show during either a combo download multiplex or in a multiplex of the ty.

mike0151
12-19-2005, 01:03 PM
IIRC it has long been advised to NOT use the combined download/multiplex method but to always use the separate methods.

Jamie
12-19-2005, 01:07 PM
No can do. Not that I don't want too, well I don't but that is personal preference as I am one of those that turn them off, but I have never seen anything in the retreived data to indicated the recording "nature" of the show. So I can't make a distinction and so can't filter on it.

Looks like TWP lists Suggestions at the bottom. At least on my 6.2 system. If someone were really interested in getting the list that way (I'm not), they could probably figure it out by digging through the ui.itcl code.
Yes, it's the Recording object "SelectionType" attribute. I can add it to the metadata exported if you (jdiner) want to add a sort option that takes it into account.

ThurstonX
12-19-2005, 01:11 PM
What streams from what tivos and what OS versions are you getting the LIII just tried multiplexing a recording that I know had a Dolby Digital audio stream (I guess that TiVo setting auto-records the DD stream when present), and got the same result:
about 21K L-II errors, and an MPEG with no audio. If I play back the native .ty file thru Media Player Classic using TyShow, the audio is just slightly out of sync.

Is it the DD stream, or could it be something else? If DD, how does one multiplex successfully? I will go read now, but a short answer would be great :-)

This is SD, not HD, btw.

I tried it with v.9r18 with no special audio options set, as well as with Fill Audio Holes. I get sound, but it's out of sync.

Here's what the v.9r18 log file reports:
Detected Audio Stream Type: MPEG Layer II

Here's what the v.10r1 log file reports:

jdiner
12-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Yes, it's the Recording object "SelectionType" attribute. I can add it to the metadata exported if you (jdiner) want to add a sort option that takes it into account.
Yeah sure. If you want to put it into the output format that was there as a new tag go for it. Just pick one that makes sense and matches the others, let me know what it was and I will put the rest of the code into TyTool.

--jdiner

MelvinPurvis
12-19-2005, 02:46 PM
CC works on my JVC and Panasonic players. My old APEX won;t show CC from anything, commercial or my own stuff.

The #1 problem with it is the long GOP lengths. The CC packet is fixed length. No bigger than a certain size. And that size is just not big enough most of the time. Some players will still work with it. Other won't.

Technically, the structure which contains the caption data for each field in DVD (NTSC only MPEG) is not fixed in length although the maximum range is limited to 6 bits of field count (63). This field is found in the low order 6 bits of the byte at offset 8 (0 is at the beginning of the 0x1b2 start code).

Another part of the DVD spec limits the maximum GOP size to 36 fields, which creates a bound for this table in the minds of most players. This makes GOP splitting the only way to make DTV streams legal for DVD.

Something else that is often missed: The DVD spec requires all GOPs in a stream to contain caption data if any of them do. So even if there is no data at a particular point, you should include the caption information user data with the 0x8080 null fields.

mbriody
12-19-2005, 04:09 PM
I just grabbed the files from the top of this thread and am still getting the tserver error. I assume they've not been updated yet?

mrdizzy, can you tell me where you got your version of tserver?

Mine is from back in June which is the latest posted in Jamie's thread and also on SourceForge. Did I miss something?

I got the same error, but you beat me to it. I've gone back to the older tserver I got in Nov which is 138048 bytes long (change the path in tytool to point to the old one).

khig
12-19-2005, 07:15 PM
History:

Awhile back I extracted some shows from my DTivo using Tytools 9r17. The ty files have been untouched on my computer since then. The other day i decided to get them compiled onto a DVD. I downloaded Tytools 10r1 and processed them to vobs, created the IFO and burned it to a double layer DVD. The video is choppy in places. I noticed while making the IFO's in the dos box it was saying "WARN: GOP is not closed on cell boundary" several times.

I tried redoing the whole process with just one show and have the same results of choppy video. I then tried to remake the same show using 9r17. This time I didnt see any warnings, and the video is perfect. What's up with this?

Has the extraction process changed between 9r17 and 10r1 causing the problem?

Double layer DVD coaster anyone.....................

mrdizzy
12-19-2005, 07:53 PM
I just grabbed the files from the top of this thread and am still getting the tserver error. I assume they've not been updated yet?

mrdizzy, can you tell me where you got your version of tserver?

Mine is from back in June which is the latest posted in Jamie's thread and also on SourceForge. Did I miss something?

Sorry, my post wasn't clear. I got it in Nov (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=239719&postcount=4), but I was late joining the NowShowing.tcl-free party! My version was from mfs-utils_bin.ppc-20050604.tar.bz2 (I think).

I've also seen that GOP warning BTW. I've also seen some malloc errors when it is doing FAEing, but the DOS boxes fly past and close themselves much too quickly to read properly. I feel guilty asking for even more features now but would it be possible to log all the external DOS stuff (FAEing, DVDauthor etc) to the text file as well?

jdiner
12-20-2005, 02:50 AM
Technically, the structure which contains the caption data for each field in DVD (NTSC only MPEG) is not fixed in length
Ummm. Dude check your facts. Your off in a few regards here. The simple answer to the question is it fixed length is: "Yes it is". In comparison you can have an effectively unlimited GOP size. You create the GOP/SEQ/I-Frame start and then follow it by as many or as few B and P frames as you want. Or in the context of a image you can have as many slice of whatever height as you are willing to put in. If you follow spec there are guidelines but it can be done regardless. (HiDef is literally just more slices that are taller than the SD images from from a normal Tivo.)

Besides that you said so yourself, it has a max field count of 63 (You are wrong there with that number BTW) but that IS a fixed length. I was not trying to say it is always the same length I was trying to see that you can't get above a certain size. With DTV streams it is not all that uncommon to get 100+ frames in a single GOP. So even if it was possible to get to 63 you are screwed in trying to get to 100, or to 200 or to the 212 which IIRC is the largest one I have seen over the last few years.

The range you listed has been posted about my McPoodle, who I filled in on my own research after asking him about his, and others on the internet. Because it was, "everyone" seems to assume that it was correct. In exhaustive testing on my part and others, it turns out the top bit it always 1. It is a flag and not a part of the size. Leaving only 5 bits for the actual size giving a max that it was possible to get to was 31 seperate Close Caption entry pairs in a single GOP.

This field is found in the low order 6 bits of the byte at offset 8 (0 is at the beginning of the 0x1b2 start code).
Yeah. I wrote the output engine for TyTool. And as I said just above it isn't 6 bits it is 5.

The difference here is this. You can only get 31 field 1 CC byte pairs out. The other 31 are Field 2. While field 2 is encoded in the same fashion as field 1 these are not the same thing! Field one is Close Caption data. Field 2 is extended data covering what channel you are on, it's network affiliation, I have seen website information, etc... (Every wonder how newer TVs will tell you that when they power on? That is how...) You can NOT put every other actual CC byte into field 2 to try and get more room as they are never ever merged, they are entirely different data. I know, I tried. :) I tried everything I could thing of. I tried going beyond 31, I tried adding more CC headers after other elements in the GOP, I tried adding new GOP headers before P-frames to try and "get more room".

So you set the flag you set up to 31 entries and each entry has both field 1 and field 2 in it in an alternating pattern. Plus you have to control which set of bytes to display first as it is field sensitive.

This makes GOP splitting the only way to make DTV streams legal for DVD.
Correct. Which is something I have been working on. However it somewhat goes against the grain of TyTool. It was to be a non re-encoding program and now often 3 frames per GOP have to be re-encoded. It's a pain, it's slow, it impacts quality. So I looked for ways to make it work without having to do so and got a pretty decent solution as a result. However you are correct on this and it is the only "proper" way to do it. So who know what will happen in the future.

Something else that is often missed: The DVD spec requires all GOPs in a stream to contain caption data if any of them do. So even if there is no data at a particular point, you should include the caption information user data with the 0x8080 null fields.
Correct and this is exactly what TyTool does. If you turn it on it is on even if there is nothing to do/use for each GOP.

The CC feature of TyTool aren't perfect. They have to try to work with the wildly non-standard nature of the source data streams and as a result rely on the forgiving nature of the player in use. However it does work 100% on a players that are willing to support all of those oddities. On players that don't support it, well it doesn't work at all.

I have tested putting the CC data into a stream that was "gop fixed" to put at most 15 frames into each GOP. After that first process it was not uncommon to get patterns like 15, 15, 4 where it had been 34 frames to start with, and so on... I then merged the CC data into it and as expected CC began to work 100% on all of the players.

However, for reasons I am not going to go into detail on here as it has been covered before, that wasn't a great solution as you could see the degraded frames where the re-encoding was done. And given the predictive nature of MPEG-2 it carried that degredation foreward pretty nicely. :(

--jdiner

jdiner
12-20-2005, 02:52 AM
Just ran a check. The file for S1 tivos was transfered at some point, be me, in ascii mode. Not sure how or when but it was clear that ever 0x0a in the file had become 0x0d 0x0a. Which tends to damage it. I will be putting up a fixed version in just a second.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-20-2005, 02:57 AM
I noticed while making the IFO's in the dos box it was saying "WARN: GOP is not closed on cell boundary" several times.
This is an unimportant warning. In the pure DVD spec a GOP needs to be closed where a chapter point is at. This is because a chapter point is a change between cells in the dvd structure. No GOPS in a tivo source stream, SA or DTV, are closed. That is what the warning means. And it is just that a warning.

I tried redoing the whole process with just one show and have the same results of choppy video. I then tried to remake the same show using 9r17. This time I didnt see any warnings, and the video is perfect. What's up with this?
That shouldn't he happening because other than bug fixes there hasn't really been much new in that part of the system. It was mostly GUI, CC, resource allocation and code optimizations. But if 9r17 works for you use it for now.

If you want it to get fixed at some point send me a problem streams with exact details on where you find the playback jerky at.

Also did you burn the files all the way out in both cases? And what tool did you use to burn it? I have seen jerky playback when the wrong version of Nero was used to burn the disk.

I hate problems like this one... :( Where it used to work but now doesn't...

EDIT: Where there any warning or errors from directly within TyTool?

--jdiner

jdiner
12-20-2005, 02:59 AM
I feel guilty asking for even more features now but would it be possible to log all the external DOS stuff (FAEing, DVDauthor etc) to the text file as well?
Sadly not at the moment. I have to re-write the tools to get it to do that. I tried tee and other similar apps to accomplish that but none of them worked properly.

But you have seen malloc errors is the encoder or in the dvdauthor tool where the other warning to mentioned is found? That isn't good. I have never seen a malloc warning/failure. Ever... I wonder what is going on.

--jdiner

FredThompson
12-20-2005, 10:06 AM
When the server connection drops, TyTool will display an impossibly huge time and seems to stick in the extraction mode. Is there a way to detect the server is gone and abort the retrieval including some kind of user message?

Also, look at this screenshot. The extraction was working but the time display was negative. Weird.

dlang
12-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Correct. Which is something I have been working on. However it somewhat goes against the grain of TyTool. It was to be a non re-encoding program and now often 3 frames per GOP have to be re-encoded. It's a pain, it's slow, it impacts quality. So I looked for ways to make it work without having to do so and got a pretty decent solution as a result. However you are correct on this and it is the only "proper" way to do it. So who know what will happen in the future.

even if 3 frames out of every 100 have to be re-encoded that would still be worlds faster then re-encoding the entire stream

it still wouldn't be DVD legal (as it's 480x480)

it would beinteresting to know how frequently people bump up against the 31 item CC limit

the fact that the second frames's CC space is used for other information is interesting. given the info that the tivo has on each show (exported as XML in .ty+ or tmf formats). what do systems do with the info from these fields?

David Lang

jmhenry5150
12-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Just a quicky here:

How do you guys handle multiple TiVos?

I have 2 boxes and the only way I could figure out how to use tytools with both is to have 2 seperate apps...

FredThompson
12-20-2005, 01:21 PM
correct. you should also set the priority of the copies at different levels to reduce disc thrashing if multiple instances are trying to do something disc intensive like generating keyfiles or multiplexing.

I typically have instances which are running extractions and 2 others open; one to make edits, another to multiplex.

cheer
12-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Just change the IP address that you connect to; that's all I do...

khig
12-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Also did you burn the files all the way out in both cases? And what tool did you use to burn it? I have seen jerky playback when the wrong version of Nero was used to burn the disk.

I hate problems like this one... :( Where it used to work but now doesn't...

EDIT: Where there any warning or errors from directly within TyTool?

--jdiner

Please excuse my ignorance on this one, but what do you mean by "burn the files all the way out"?

When I burned the double layer DVD, I used Nero 6 (the lastest version of 6) because thats all I have that will do double layer. While I haven't watched the whole DVD yet, at least 3 shows I've seen have jerking problems. I remembered reading something about issues with Nero 6 and thats why I went back and redid the one show to see what would happen. That time I used an HP DVDWriter dvd200i drive with the RecordNow software that came with the drive and a DVD+RW disc. I still have the problem with the 10r1 version using the HP software. I dont recall having any errors inside of Tytools.

I'm going to do a little more fiddling with it, cut vs. uncut, and see what happens. I get back to you.

falcomadol
12-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Actually no. The LII audio bug is often related to some serious video damage in he file. For whatever the reason you are getting some pretty crap streams. I wonder why??? Rain fade? Snow on the dish? Trees? Buildings?

What signal strength are you getting on the transponder carrying showtime2?

--jdinerSorry, tuned out for a bit. I have to check that later today. There's no video problems on playback from the Tivo, and I generally get perfectly good reception even with moderate snow and rain. I suppose it could be an issue specifically on that transponder (I only recently turned on the Showtime block).

mrdizzy
12-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Sadly not at the moment. I have to re-write the tools to get it to do that. I tried tee and other similar apps to accomplish that but none of them worked properly.

Ah, fair enough!

But you have seen malloc errors is the encoder or in the dvdauthor tool where the other warning to mentioned is found? That isn't good. I have never seen a malloc warning/failure. Ever... I wonder what is going on.

The malloc errors were in the FAE process windows. Also I think I saw something flash past about it using an NTSC profile, although my finished
PAL vobs seem to look ok and cut in the right places. I will try to grab some screenshots of it happening.

mrdizzy
12-20-2005, 08:18 PM
By the way the audio offset feature is really great. I've fixed the lipsync on some shows (where the BBC was to blame!) quite easily by setting a jump, and a short length to process, and then trying different values. :D

Tracy RainH2o
12-20-2005, 10:50 PM
Hi all,

I have hacked my DVR40 and have a proper Telnet and FTP connections via a Wireless USB adapter. I have installed the tserver file into /var/hack/TyTool/

My TyTool connects but does not receive the telnet prompt. I have tried a variety of Server Execute Strings and Server Shell Prompt Strings. I have named the Tivo Lauren and the telnet prompt that I get is Lauren-TiVo#.

I currently have /var/hack/TyTool/tserver as my SES
Lauren-TiVo#/var/tmp$ as my SSPS

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your assistance. I really have tried to research this but I may not be understanding it correctly.

Goldheart
12-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Hi all,

I have hacked my DVR40 and have a proper Telnet and FTP connections via a Wireless USB adapter. I have installed the tserver file into /var/hack/TyTool/

My TyTool connects but does not receive the telnet prompt. I have tried a variety of Server Execute Strings and Server Shell Prompt Strings. I have named the Tivo Lauren and the telnet prompt that I get is Lauren-TiVo#.

I currently have /var/hack/TyTool/tserver as my SES
Lauren-TiVo#/var/tmp$ as my SSPS

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your assistance. I really have tried to research this but I may not be understanding it correctly.

I just had the same problem show up myself, but that was after changing the prompt to colors. I suspect the color changes are ansi codes (or something) that need to be factored in.

Tracy RainH2o
12-20-2005, 11:31 PM
I just had the same problem show up myself, but that was after changing the prompt to colors. I suspect the color changes are ansi codes (or something) that need to be factored in.

I did change the prompt to color. It makes it a little hard to read so I was going to change it back. Did it solve your problems?

Goldheart
12-21-2005, 12:42 AM
I did change the prompt to color. It makes it a little hard to read so I was going to change it back. Did it solve your problems?

Yep, I removed colors and reset to default shell and it works now.

Tracy RainH2o
12-21-2005, 01:55 AM
Well I uninstalled the color prompt and it still will not connect. Any ideas?
Lauren-bash#/var/tmp$ is now my SSPS

jdiner
12-21-2005, 02:27 AM
When the server connection drops, TyTool will display an impossibly huge time and seems to stick in the extraction mode. Is there a way to detect the server is gone and abort the retrieval including some kind of user message?

Also, look at this screenshot. The extraction was working but the time display was negative. Weird.
It should have. The first recv() call after a socket is "dropped" returns a -1 for a bad close. That is handled and things clean up. I just tested it and here on my dual CPU Win2k but just running tserver from a seperate telnet window and hitting Control-C. The transfer stopped immediately. No odd timestamp was shown for me as it went right to the "finished" message.

IIRC you were running XP as the client side host OS. I wonder if there is an issue there. I will try running it from my XP machine once you post a bit more information. How did the connection drop? What exactly happened? How did you know it was down? What OS are you running and please be as specific as possible?

--jdiner

jdiner
12-21-2005, 02:47 AM
even if 3 frames out of every 100 have to be re-encoded that would still be worlds faster then re-encoding the entire stream
Correct. Like I had posted I tested and tested and tested things. The average GOP length from a 1-hour prime-time DTV stream was 67 frames. Giving 4 re-encoded frames per GOP. So 4 frames roughly every 2 seconds (like I said a long long GOP) for 1 hour. 7,200 re-encoded frames if my math is right. Definately faster than doing the whole thing, but far far more than is being done right now with FAE editing.

To facilitate doing this I made a non-DOS version of the compressor. (Basically turned it into a DLL.) Something that I could setup just once and then run single frames through. Which lead me smack dab into another problem which put this on hold for me.

You have seen the speed of the decoder in current use. Not terrible but not great either. A little bit less than real time on anything other than a screaming box. To see the speed hit F1 on any GOP in a key file in GopEditor. That will decode and play "as fast as it can" every frame in that GOP.

Remember that MPEG is predictive. You need the frames before to get the "full picture" for a P-Frame. You need the frames before and after to get it for the B-Frames. We now have to decode "every" frame to get to the one we need to re-encode the new I-Frame replacement. Now I would re-encode on a P frame so we need far fewer or only the I-Frame and each successive P-Frame. But that has to be done on every GOP. 7200 re-encodes means a *3 or so decoded frames to pull it off. Not really a speedy thing to do in either programming time or processing time on a single stream. But it can be done. Do the heavier processing only when someone wants CC data and well you get the picture. But back to programming time only a few really want it so I had to question if it was really worth it given that using a forgiving player works with the current scheme.

it still wouldn't be DVD legal (as it's 480x480)
Absolutely correct. It only changed the long gop lengths to the standard length or less.

it would beinteresting to know how frequently people bump up against the 31 item CC limit
I can tell you that with ease. I tested for it and had to handle it in every file processed. Every single file I processed ran a foul of this size limit. Every single one. And many of my test files were < 5 minutes long. The worst I ever ran into was an NYPD Blue episode. Nothing but talk talk talk in that one. :)

DTV gets around in on our receivers by not using that structure. They look at the data in each frame is it is decoded for display. Which doesn't help us because the player hardware/software that we have to deal with is looking for the CC user data packet. A custom player could be written but it would be a limited use solution. So many, myself included, want DVD player playback not a custom PC app even on an HTPC.

the fact that the second frames CC space is used for other information is interesting. given the info that the tivo has on each show (exported as XML in .ty+ or tmf formats). what do systems do with the info from these fields?
What do you mean what system? I can make my TV's do it by cycling through the closed caption modes. My main JVC has CC1, CC2, and a large text block that covers most of the screen in back. I have seen CC1, but never CC2. However the TV is using it because when powered up it will tell me I was watching CBS and the show is "XXX". That is where it is getting. I have never seen anything that filled in the large box title "TEXT" when I switch to it. No idea what it is... :)

--jdiner

jdiner
12-21-2005, 02:50 AM
How do you guys handle multiple TiVos?

I have 2 boxes and the only way I could figure out how to use tytools with both is to have 2 seperate apps...
I made my first tivo 192.168.1.241 (for series 1) and my second tivo 192.168.1.242 (for series 2) and my new HDTivo is... you guessed it 192.168.1.243. I change 1 character in the IP address field and I am talking to the second tivo, or the third.

I have thought about a drop down listbox for handling multiple tivos but it doesn't save much time over a 1 character change.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-21-2005, 02:52 AM
The malloc errors were in the FAE process windows. Also I think I saw something flash past about it using an NTSC profile, although my finished
PAL vobs seem to look ok and cut in the right places. I will try to grab some screenshots of it happening.
Uh oh. That means the auto-detection in mpeg2enc isn't working right. But it should. I forcibly set the resolution etc... when I call it. If you can find a way to reproduce it and get me a stream that does it I will look into it further. That isn't good. :(

--jdiner

jdiner
12-21-2005, 02:54 AM
By the way the audio offset feature is really great. I've fixed the lipsync on some shows (where the BBC was to blame!) quite easily by setting a jump, and a short length to process, and then trying different values. :D
Yeah... That is what I had to do with an episode of Enterprise. It was fine until the first commercial then 570ms off for the rest of the show. The worst part it re-aird on sunday, the weekly repeat here in Utah, with the exact same problem. That was why I added that feature. :)

The manual process can be a pain but going for a short block where people are talking can be a fast turn around to fix it...

Glad it helped somebody else.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-21-2005, 02:57 AM
Well I uninstalled the color prompt and it still will not connect. Any ideas?
Lauren-bash#/var/tmp$ is now my SSPS
Make the prompt just "bash#" it doesn't have to match the whole string just part of it. To be honest I will tell you to make it the default that TyTool expects. Getting creative with a bash prompt on a machine you will basically never log into is... just asking for it. :)

The command I use to set my bash prompt is:
PS1="\w\\$ "

You might try that and clear the prompt setting in TyTool as I don't need one. Then you can alter from there to find a combination you like.

--jdiner

Agent86
12-21-2005, 03:36 AM
Hey all - I'm loving the new release, but there are a few things I've noticed...

1) GOP Editor does this weird thing where the buttons in the bottom row (the ones that FF and RW at super speed) don't show up sometimes after opening a key file. I can't pinpoint why it happens. All I know is that if I close it , re-run it, and re-open the key file it tends to work.

2) I have an older DVD player that seems to have a beef with the menus. The menu comes up when I put the DVD in, but once I choose an option I can't get back to the menu. When I press the menu button I get the "No" symbol on the screen. By "No" symbol I mean the same symbol/error you get when trying to skip some FBI warnings and whatnot.

This is weird, but I'm guessing that it has something to do with it being a "Title" menu (According to PowerDVD anyway). Based on some quick checking with some other commercial DVDs I own, it appears that there is a "Title" menu and a "Root" menu. They both appear to be the same thing on my discs, but I'm guessing that the "Menu" function of this DVD player returns to the "Root" menu once you leave the "Title" menu. Since there is no "Root" menu on TyTool made discs, it just says "ehhh no" .

Any chance that a future release can have DVDAuthor create identical "Title" and "Root" menus?

FredThompson
12-21-2005, 06:39 AM
It should have. The first recv() call after a socket is "dropped" returns a -1 for a bad close. That is handled and things clean up. I just tested it and here on my dual CPU Win2k but just running tserver from a seperate telnet window and hitting Control-C. The transfer stopped immediately. No odd timestamp was shown for me as it went right to the "finished" message.

IIRC you were running XP as the client side host OS. I wonder if there is an issue there. I will try running it from my XP machine once you post a bit more information. How did the connection drop? What exactly happened? How did you know it was down? What OS are you running and please be as specific as possible?

--jdinerNope, Win2K. All I can tell you is I'll notice a file being extrated is taking a very long time then the TyTool display shows the impossibly long time. If I chose the abort button, I have to close the server and reopen it before anything else can happen. Having said that, the DTiVos are quite a few generations of OS and tservers behind. Bah! Ignore my feedback on this. If it persists after these are rebuilt, then it might be helpful to you. For now, consider this a waste of time.

lgkahn
12-21-2005, 09:44 AM
new warning when I edited out commercials with gop editor ???

STAT: Processing j:\tivo-store\{South Park}{1997-12-17}{Mr. Hankey, the Christma
s Poo}{11.00 PM Mon Dec 19, 2005}{BN38}.tmf.vob...
WARN: GOP is not closed on cell boundary
STAT: VOBU 752 at 199MB, 1 PGCS, 0:19:05

khig
12-21-2005, 10:40 AM
Just for kicks I tried the following,

I have a vob file made with 9r17 and a vob file made with 10r1 made from the same ty file. I then used 9r17 to create IFO files/dirs on the 10r1 vob file. The resulting video is smooth. When I tried doing the same thing using 10r1 to create IFO of the 9r17 vob, I get choppy video again.

I get the same warnings lgkahn just posted when using 10r1, but I don't get that warning when i use 9r17 on the same files. I know you said that they are just warnings, but I'm curious as to why it happens only with the new version.

I also watch a lot of the double layer DVD I burned. It holds 13 episodes of Stargate. Not all of the shows have the problem, but the ones that do, the choppyness tends to be in the last 1/3 of the show.

jdiner, if you'll pm me your address, I'll send you a dvd with the problem files.

Thanks

monkeyboy1010
12-21-2005, 03:13 PM
Howdy,

Odd thing happening:

I have a HD10-250,
When I MUX (HD, so far) streams with DD 5.1 audio I get the "New LII audio bug" error message.

The following is the TXT info downloading the 10 minute file of HDNET Test Pattern.

Final standardAudioSize = 1552
Final standardFrameLength = 1536
Final standardAudioDiff = 2880 or 00:00:00.032
First Video PTS: 00:02:55.111

New LII audio bug Detected... Correction in progress... (about a zillion times)

then at the end

DiffTime = 161.125008 (161125) == 2.685417 Minutes

total = 717881344

The video is fine, but no audio at all.

SD material with Layer II audio is fine, I haven't tried SD with 5.1 (but I don't record any thing with that config anyway)

If I use the previous build (TyTool9r19) to do the same stream as listed above,no problems, no errors reported, working audio and video.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

MB1010

mrdizzy
12-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Uh oh. That means the auto-detection in mpeg2enc isn't working right. But it should. I forcibly set the resolution etc... when I call it. If you can find a way to reproduce it and get me a stream that does it I will look into it further. That isn't good. :(

Hmm, I think I might be partly to blame for the malloc errors. It happens when I am running the Azureus bittorrent client which is resource hungry. Although in my defence I would say that task manager still says that I have physical ram free, and the "commit charge" is well below the limit, so I would have thought it would work. Or at least cope gracefully. But for now quitting other apps before processing a stream seems to work around the malloc issue.

I tried getting screen grabs of that happening but it was impossible because it closes the window immediately after it runs out of memory. I was even prepared to try 50 times to get 1 good capture but kept missing it! I also tried using Tcap and Comlog105free to try to capture the text output of that window but they didn't work, so I see what you mean about the difficulty of logging console output.

I did manage to get a grab of a "working" FAE cut output though because luckily each frame takes a bit of time! An annotated screenshot is attached to this post. This illustrates the NTSC gamma settings problem.

Onto another problem. If you try the "L.A. Law-Pacific Rimshot" ty and cut files I sent you on DVD (regenerate the keyfile), you should see that there are 3 audio holes that don't get pieced together properly in the output VOB. (The easiest one to hear is the saxaphone solo at the start of the title sequence). Was this fixed but part of the code that was lost?

mrdizzy
12-21-2005, 03:46 PM
This is weird, but I'm guessing that it has something to do with it being a "Title" menu (According to PowerDVD anyway). Based on some quick checking with some other commercial DVDs I own, it appears that there is a "Title" menu and a "Root" menu. They both appear to be the same thing on my discs, but I'm guessing that the "Menu" function of this DVD player returns to the "Root" menu once you leave the "Title" menu. Since there is no "Root" menu on TyTool made discs, it just says "ehhh no" .

Any chance that a future release can have DVDAuthor create identical "Title" and "Root" menus?

The "DVD Demystified" book blames the DVD spec. Apparently it is too vague about what the "menu" button on the remote control should do. I think by convention most commercial DVDs make the "Title" and "Root" menus the same because of this.

I have the same issue with my Sony DVD player - the "menu" button on the remote does nothing for TyDVDs. The "title" button however does work, and takes me back to the DVD's menu. Try that! When I lend TyDVDs to my friends I explain to them that they might have to press "title" instead of "menu", so I'd welcome a root menu too :)

mrdizzy
12-21-2005, 03:49 PM

STAT: Processing j:\tivo-store\{South Park}{1997-12-17}{Mr. Hankey, the Christma
s Poo}{11.00 PM Mon Dec 19, 2005}{BN38}.tmf.vob...
STAT: VOBU 752 at 199MB, 1 PGCS, 0:19:05

Already answered on this very thread :(

jdiner
12-21-2005, 06:30 PM
1) GOP Editor does this weird thing where the buttons in the bottom row (the ones that FF and RW at super speed) don't show up sometimes after opening a key file. I can't pinpoint why it happens. All I know is that if I close it , re-run it, and re-open the key file it tends to work.
They are always present and working for me. I don't see them move and I don't see them disappear. Makes it hard to find problems when it always works for me. One question though what is the resolution of the shows you are running through it? Are you using any of the scaling option in the GopEditor?

2) I have an older DVD player that seems to have a beef with the menus.
The only menu TyTool makes is the title menu. Locate the title button on your menu even the old DVD players had one.

No much of one. Many other more important features. Find the title button and that one rather than the menu button. I have 6 DVD players in my testbed and every single one has a title button. If yours really doesn't then get a newer DVD player...

--jdiner

jdiner
12-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Not really new as it has only been showing up for about a year or so. :) And I explained the answer about 2 pages back in this very thread.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-21-2005, 06:35 PM
I have a vob file made with 9r17 and a vob file made with 10r1 made from the same ty file. I then used 9r17 to create IFO files/dirs on the 10r1 vob file. The resulting video is smooth. When I tried doing the same thing using 10r1 to create IFO of the 9r17 vob, I get choppy video again.
Woah... An interesting idea. Well done there! :)

The difference there is different versions of DVDAuthor. It sounds like something went wrong in that tool. The VOB'ing portion at the start of the test is the part I do, the filling it in is the part they do. Sounds like something is wrong.

The GOP not closed isn't the problem. Like I said a couple of days ago it is a warning at chapter points. But it very possible that the newer version of DVDAuthor I was trying to use in this release has other issues. Crap. I hate that. Please send me the bad file and I see if I can't find a version that solves the problem or get my code put back in place so that we don't need it anymore...

--jdiner

khig
12-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Please send me the bad file and I see if I can't find a version that solves the problem or get my code put back in place so that we don't need it anymore...

--jdiner

Send me a pm and let me know where to send them.

Thanks

Kent

cdma
12-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Is there a log somewhere that will tell me why 10r1 will not run. I mean it is running when I look at the task manager but nothing on the screen. I am running it on XP professional. I am able to run the same program romotely from 2000 but not XP. I am also able to run 9r16 and any other versions but not 10r1

Forgot to mention the GOP editor also runs fine on either box

digimaster1964
12-21-2005, 11:20 PM
I have the same problem regarding NEW LII audio bug
Any solutions?
I am going back to older version

jdiner
12-22-2005, 12:51 AM
I have the same problem regarding NEW LII audio bug
Any solutions?
I am going back to older version
No not yet. Fine go back to the older version...

--jdiner

jdiner
12-22-2005, 12:55 AM
Is there a log somewhere that will tell me why 10r1 will not run. I mean it is running when I look at the task manager but nothing on the screen. I am running it on XP professional. I am able to run the same program romotely from 2000 but not XP. I am also able to run 9r16 and any other versions but not 10r1

Forgot to mention the GOP editor also runs fine on either box
Sounds like it opened up off your current display. Try to move it back onto the screen or check the TyTool.ini file to the location rect and make sure it isn't something outside of the visible range. Not sure how you could have gotten it there but that might be it.

--jdiner

cdma
12-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Sounds like it opened up off your current display. Try to move it back onto the screen or check the TyTool.ini file to the location rect and make sure it isn't something outside of the visible range. Not sure how you could have gotten it there but that might be it.

--jdiner
It appears that it is conflicting with software on my machine. I am in the process of trying to figure it out and will let you know as soon as I get the right combo

grbooth
12-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Search though with all my mind...
FAQ install, I cannot find...
:confused:

jdiner
12-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Search though with all my mind...
FAQ install, I cannot find...
:confused:
To the help menu you should look,
what is there resembles the very book,
There is also the tytool.com website,
which in turn can solve this very plight.

--jdiner

mrdizzy
12-23-2005, 06:52 AM
LOL :D Have a good xmas/holidays everyone.

bimmer2002tii
12-23-2005, 11:29 AM
I apologize in advance if this has been reported but this may be a new issue with 10r1. I recorded one of the Bowl games in HD and when I tried to get the stream it failed(Could not open file error message).....So I went to get the parts. Not all the parts were listed and I was only able to download 18 of the 26 GB. I removed the new tserver and but the 9Rpre3 stuff on and it appears it is going to download the entire file. We shall see and will report back in a couple hours. I appreciate all your efforts on this venture and I am just trying to do my part, as small as it may be.

jdiner
12-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Alright my hope is to fix the "NEW LII audio bug" by Christmas night. A present to one and all if you will.

But since it doesn't happen to me here I need a couple of copies of shows from those of you that are experiencing it. Don't need a full show. Need about a 128meg section. I have my FTP server all setup ready and waiting. I know it is the start of everyone elses holiday as well. But if you should be able to do this you get the benefit of using your holiday to get more done on your hobby. :)

Just pm for me for details or if my box fills up then email me at joshua@NPL.com.

Now should all go well I hope to have the jerky playback of 10r1 and 9r18 versus 9r17 fixed. I am going to go through the output and see what is different. (Shouldn't be much but it should tell me very quickly what is changing that would cause it...)

On top of that I want to fix the new LII audio bug. I know exactly what code changed to get that "fix" in place. Limited in size. Should make things much more usable.

So if you have a problem stream showing lots of the new bug please get it to me ASAP...

--jdiner

kmt
12-23-2005, 12:25 PM
On top of that I want to fix the new LII audio bug. I know exactly what code changed to get that "fix" in place. Limited in size. Should make things much more usable.

So if you have a problem stream showing lots of the new bug please get it to me ASAP...

--jdiner

In my case I see it in combo download/multiplex mode, but not if I download and multiplex separately. It;s not clear to me how I can send you something to see the issue.

kemac
12-23-2005, 12:26 PM
Josh,

I have an old TY from an HDTiVo that I have been holding onto that causes both 10r1 and 9r19pre3 to crash just after:

***** Detected an AUDIO type change! From Dolby51 to LayerII *****

Let me know if your interested in taking a look and so I can get the file to you.

Kelly

newlooper
12-24-2005, 09:16 AM
In my case I see it in combo download/multiplex mode, but not if I download and multiplex separately. It;s not clear to me how I can send you something to see the issue.

KMT download in TYSTREAM mode and send him the ty file.

falcomadol
12-25-2005, 07:28 AM
I can confirm that SD DD material extracted with 10r1 and vobmuxed with 9r18 appears to be clean and functional. Not sure about the relative "smoothness" thing.

rbreding
12-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Got the following error trying to multiplex "Ice Age" that was recorded the other day in HD:

ERROR: Out of memory getting a new MuxNode buffer!

Got the error about 15% into the multiplex. Tried it with 9r19HD and it multiplexed fine.

Anymore information I can give you ?

FredThompson
12-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Crud. I was really hoping the audio sync and video pausing was my player, not the new TyTool.

I really don't want to ask these questions:

Are 10r1 vobmuxed streams irreparable?

Are 10r1 IFO sets irreparable?

aliu
12-25-2005, 01:30 PM
I experienced a crash during muxing to VOB. I reverted to 9r18 and was able to mux successfully. Unfortunately the source file is 2 GB.

This isn't a big deal to me since 9r18 is working for me, but I wanted to mention it as a data point.

Agent86
12-25-2005, 05:08 PM
They are always present and working for me. I don't see them move and I don't see them disappear. Makes it hard to find problems when it always works for me. One question though what is the resolution of the shows you are running through it? Are you using any of the scaling option in the GopEditor?
The shows are 480x480. I am not using any scaling options in the editor.

No much of one. Many other more important features. Find the title button and that one rather than the menu button. I have 6 DVD players in my testbed and every single one has a title button. If yours really doesn't then get a newer DVD player...
Yeah, its an older player. Most other players I use figure out which menu to go to when you hit the "Menu" button, but appears that this one does not. It doesn't have a title button, but I've found a way to work around it. I figured I'd ask in case it was just another parameter you had to pass to DVDAuthor, or something to that effect.

eastwind
12-25-2005, 05:11 PM
Got the following error trying to multiplex "Ice Age" that was recorded the other day in HD:

ERROR: Out of memory getting a new MuxNode buffer!

Got the error about 15% into the multiplex. Tried it with 9r19HD and it multiplexed fine.

Anymore information I can give you ?
A whole list of things might be important.

What kind of system software are you running on? What versionn? How much RAM do you have? How have you set you virtual memory settings? What processor? Speed? How many? How much HD space? How much free HD space? What version of TyTool? What TiVo hardware? Software?

There might be more, but you get the idea?

ew

FredThompson
12-25-2005, 08:47 PM
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping Josh can put together a mux fixer to save the stuttering streams. Gad, what a mess.

FredThompson
12-26-2005, 02:09 AM
Josh,

How about adding some kind of "you can't do that" feedback to the FAE editor when a cut is supposed to happen at position 0? The muxer reports it can't be done and aborts the task. The editor shouldn't allow defining such a cut. Personally, I'd prefer a color flash and text message combined with refusal to allow setting the position but that's how I would code the UI.

jdiner
12-26-2005, 02:45 AM
Merry Christmas all. Almost missed the day. Family parties are such a joy sometimes.

Anyway, best holiday wishes to everyone.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-26-2005, 02:48 AM
Crud. I was really hoping the audio sync and video pausing was my player, not the new TyTool.

I really don't want to ask these questions:

Are 10r1 vobmuxed streams irreparable?

Are 10r1 IFO sets irreparable?
No idea. I see no stuttering here. Never have. Are those with stuttering problems using sony players? They have always needed the new muxer to work. Other than that I am... at a loss.

As for repairable depends on what happened. If data is lost no. If it is positional information, change SCR or PTS/DTS then yes.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-26-2005, 02:49 AM
I figured I'd ask in case it was just another parameter you had to pass to DVDAuthor, or something to that effect.
No it just has to be built differently. Do it one show at a time as it is done now and you get a title menu. Do it all at once in a single DVDAuthor call and you get a root menu rather than a title menu.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-26-2005, 02:53 AM
How about adding some kind of "you can't do that" feedback to the FAE editor when a cut is supposed to happen at position 0? The muxer reports it can't be done and aborts the task. The editor shouldn't allow defining such a cut. Personally, I'd prefer a color flash and text message combined with refusal to allow setting the position but that's how I would code the UI.
It was never ever ever supposed to allow that. The GopEditor doesn't allow them. I just tested it. You try and get a -1 and a beep. How did you get a 0 into a starting side FAE cut? That is the only one that is limited. An end side FAE cut can start quite legally at 0 and isn't even checked.

Do you manually alter/create the cut file?

--jdiner

FredThompson
12-26-2005, 09:32 AM
It was never ever ever supposed to allow that. The GopEditor doesn't allow them. I just tested it. You try and get a -1 and a beep. How did you get a 0 into a starting side FAE cut? That is the only one that is limited. An end side FAE cut can start quite legally at 0 and isn't even checked.

Do you manually alter/create the cut file?

--jdinerNope. I don't know how it happened. This message has shown up twice. I've loaded the ty for editing then loaded the cut list and looked at the entries. Both times there was a starting FAE offset of 0. I have a hunch that it might be caused by hitting the button to add the point while using the arrow keys to move the positional slider but haven't tested that yet. This has only happened with 10r1.

--

Have we talked about the ability to make the columns wider in the tserver listing as displayed in TyTool? That would be helpful for some types of episodes. History International has series within a series, so to speak, and the actual episode names get truncated quite a bit.

--

Maybe the playback problems I saw are media or hardware player. If you don't see stuttering, that's a good chance. Sure hope so. Buying a new player is easier and less impact than losing source. (How's that for rational thought compared to most complaints about compatability?) It's an Apex 2500. I'll test by ripping the disc to hd and playing with PowerDVD. Wish me luck.

--

Merry Christmas to you, too. Peach on Earth, good will to men and too much to eat...

jdiner
12-26-2005, 01:47 PM
This has only happened with 10r1.
Yeah. One of the listed changes in the docs talked about the size versus side variable typo. I fixed it in 10r1 so that it would not look at the wrong variable. I still don't see how you got a 0. I just tried a ton of combinations to get it to fail on setting the cut. Nothing would change. -1 at 0 indicating a GOP cut, or 1 on up indicating a FAE cut.

Maybe the playback problems I saw are media or hardware player. If you don't see stuttering, that's a good chance. Sure hope so. Buying a new player is easier and less impact than losing source. (How's that for rational thought compared to most complaints about compatability?) It's an Apex 2500. I'll test by ripping the disc to hd and playing with PowerDVD. Wish me luck.
I will have to set my DVD testbed back up. I am going to put things through their paces again to see what if any differences occur between the latest 9r versions and the 10r. I want to see what changed between 9r18 and 9r18 and how they differ between 10r1. (10r2 being just a simple release with the working server...)

With no CC turned on the output should be darn near identical. There was one minor change to enhance the audio and video PTS/DTS alignment. But that would account for less than 12miliseconds difference in the timestamps. Other than that things should be the same. Time to figure out the hows and the whys.

--jdiner

djrowley
12-26-2005, 02:08 PM
I've installed the new tserver and am using 10r1. At the end of each Get, the Server window complains about a broken pipe:

SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'TYSTRM2 192.168.0.2 3898 2204701/2204703/2204710'
-> '2204701'
-> '2204703'
-> '2204710'
Attempted to write to a broken socket
write failed:: Broken pipe

This doesn't seem to be causing any problems as the extracts are complete, but am I missing something? Also, when I start the server window, I get this warning:

fsid=2178151 has no StreamFileSize attribute

which again doesn't appear to be critical, but I don't like warnings.

Thanks

David

jdiner
12-26-2005, 02:30 PM
The shows are 480x480. I am not using any scaling options in the editor.
Ok. So it isn't a resized window issue or anything like that. Hummm. What OS are you running it under? XP? 2k? 98? WINE under linux?

--jdiner

jdiner
12-26-2005, 02:32 PM
write failed:: Broken pipe
At this point I would post about this in Jamie's support thread for the unified source. He is the most recent author on stuff and that seems like something new in the latest changes he has made.

fsid=2178151 has no StreamFileSize attribute

which again doesn't appear to be critical, but I don't like warnings.
That is what comes from the new server when a file hasn't finished recording. The old TCL versions of things put stuff up with a size of 0 if it wasn't finished. The new code doesn't add it to the list at all. That appears to be all there is to it.

--jdiner

Jamie
12-26-2005, 03:40 PM
write failed:: Broken pipeAt this point I would post about this in Jamie's support thread for the unified source. He is the most recent author on stuff and that seems like something new in the latest changes he has made.Nothing has changed on the tserver end. This is the message you get if the other side (tytool) closes the socket while tserver still has additional data it wants to send to it.

FredThompson
12-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Josh,

I don't know what I'm doing but there must be some sequence of keypresses which is slipping past your dummy-proofing. I just had another 0-position FAE error.

edit: when I edit, my left hand is on the arrow keys and my right hand is on the mouse. Those are the only inputs I use. FWIW, I far prefer to have the muxing process abort than have a GOP edit where I expected an FAE edit. That's why I mentioned some form of feedback when attempting to enter an FAE edit at the GOP boundary which TyTool will treat as a GOP edit. Better to be warned than disappointed later.

--

Have you noticed 1-field GOPs in the tystreams during the past few days? They started showing up in History Channel and History Channel International stuff near the advertising scene changes. I hope this doesn't mean we'll be seeing GOP points at the scene changes. IT's far better to do an FAE cut with a few frames of data, not a lot.

rcole
12-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Right next to the <gop>/<# of gops> on the gop editor, I've often wished for some indication of the number of frames in the displayed gop so that I didn't have to go into the fae and cancel just to find out. What do you think?

Agent86
12-26-2005, 05:48 PM
No it just has to be built differently. Do it one show at a time as it is done now and you get a title menu. Do it all at once in a single DVDAuthor call and you get a root menu rather than a title menu.
Ah - I understand. Well ok, feel free to add that to the "When I'm happy where TyTool is and I'm adding lots of shiny polish" list :).

Ok. So it isn't a resized window issue or anything like that. Hummm. What OS are you running it under? XP? 2k? 98? WINE under linux?
I've seen it so far on 2 different machines I use. Both have Windows XP with all the latest and greatest critical and optional updates. One is an IBM ThinkPad T42, and the other is a custom-built Athlon XP 1700 tower.

FredThompson
12-26-2005, 08:23 PM
I'm seeing definite stuttering in the IFO sets from 10r1. I've seen it on a hardware player then pulled the entire disc onto a hard drive and saw the same behavior with PowerDVD at the same points.

Josh, I'll send you a copy of the disc and a note telling you where to look unless you have some kind of scanner to analyze the files. I'm really hoping this is a data problem, not a time code problem, given your comment that data errors might be repairable. Will also try the latest build of FixVTS. Cross your fingers, kiddies.

I'm going to puke now.

edit: No go with FixVTS. Now I'm really going to puke.

edit2: Fixed the accidental truncation of the first line of this post.

Maybe, just maybe, it's only this one source stream. I'll test some others and we'll see what happens. This really sucks if it's a pernicious problem. I just burned the last 2 discs of a series I've been collecting for 2+ years with only the highest bitrate source. I know, I know, sucks for me, not you. Humor me, ok?

The stuttering is only happening near FAE edit points (advertising.) Now, mayeb this one particular stream is screwed, maybe it was pulled with 9r18 and 10r1 isn't 100% compatible, maybe there's something irreparably corrupting it during the IFO creation process, maybe there's a repairable burp in the IFO set creation. Oh, Lord, please give me a late Christmas present and let this be correctable.

(It's getting deep, isn't it?)

codemonkey2k5
12-26-2005, 09:15 PM
Forgive the Newbie post:

I have upgraded my Tytool to the lastest version. Both server and client side. It seems to work fine, but try as I might the quality of the files that end up on my pc are not even close to what I see on my DTivo Series 2 (Version 6.1). Everything is blocky and the audio is also degraded.

I have been reading for the last 3 days straight and I burned seval dvd's using suggestions that I have found. But nothing even comes close to the quality that I get just watching the show on my Tivo.

Is'nt there a lossless way to create a dvd? What am I missing?
Any hand holding would be greatly appriciated.

My PC is winxpSP2 w/all updates. I am using DVDit 6.0 to make my dvd's. I can not figure out how to do it natively in Tytools.

If there is any other info that you require to help me, let me know.

Regards,

CM

laserfan
12-26-2005, 10:14 PM
...the quality of the files that end up on my pc are not even close...I burned seval dvd's using suggestions that I have found...I am using DVDit 6.0 to make my dvd's. I can not figure out how to do it natively in Tytools...Assuming that you are saying that it is your DVDs that look crummy, then it is DVDit that is making them that way--it is likely to be re-encoding your programs.

Read the FAQ and "do it natively" in TyTool. It's not that hard.

cheer
12-27-2005, 01:09 AM
Making the DVDs natively with TyTool isn't complicated -- mux to VOB, create IFO files/dir, burn with Nero.

But if you are having problems with that, try using DVD-Lab with its 30-day free trial. Very simple to use.

The bottom line, as laserfan said, is to avoid re-encoding, which is probably what DVDit is doing.

jdiner
12-27-2005, 01:48 AM
Nothing has changed on the tserver end. This is the message you get if the other side (tytool) closes the socket while tserver still has additional data it wants to send to it.
You actually get it if either end closes the socket for any reason. It just means the write failed which indicates only that the connection has closed. It can happen if the disk is full, if the mux failed and you were doing a download and mux at the same time etc...

Try changing nothing but going back to the tcl using tserver from 9r18 on the tivo and see what happens. if it still continues it is something in 10r1 if not then it is something in the newer tserver code.

More information is needed before anyone can look into a fix.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-27-2005, 01:50 AM
Right next to the <gop>/<# of gops> on the gop editor, I've often wished for some indication of the number of frames in the displayed gop so that I didn't have to go into the fae and cancel just to find out. What do you think?
I have to decode it to be able to tell you. Either at the key making or the editor. Either way it would slow it down.

Best bet is to hit F1 to just play through it and see what it says.

But it makes me wonder how it would help to know the number of fields in the GOP? I don't see any value to knowing...

--jdiner

jdiner
12-27-2005, 01:53 AM
I've seen it so far on 2 different machines I use. Both have Windows XP with all the latest and greatest critical and optional updates. One is an IBM ThinkPad T42, and the other is a custom-built Athlon XP 1700 tower.
Hummm. So it could still be an XP issue but I would begin to expect not. I will see what I can do to figure out what the issue is. Once I know that I can fix it. I will be spending a bit of time tonight and as much of the morning on it as I can...

But try one thing. Try making the VOB with TyTool 10r1. Then make the DVD the rest of the way with 9r17 or whatever it was you were using before and see what happens with the playback... I am curious to know if you determine if it is the "make DVD" portion messing it up or the making of the VOB itself.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-27-2005, 02:01 AM
Now, mayeb this one particular stream is screwed, maybe it was pulled with 9r18 and 10r1 isn't 100% compatible, maybe there's something irreparably corrupting it during the IFO creation process, maybe there's a repairable burp in the IFO set creation. Oh, Lord, please give me a late Christmas present and let this be correctable.
I have processed a ton of streams I worked over with 10r1 that I downloaded with 10r2.

Try to undelete the source material if at all possible. Hopefully nothing has been written to the disk since. That is the very best idea at this point. Not saying there is nothing TyTool or I can do but getting the "good" source back is without question the best way.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-27-2005, 02:08 AM
I am using DVDit 6.0 to make my dvd's. I can not figure out how to do it natively in Tytools.
That would be the problem right there. DVDit is recompressing and doing other things. The audio sync can be blamed directly on it etc...

But to say you can't find out how to do it... well you should have looked at the docs by myself and lrhorer's efforts. It isn't difficult. In the last thread, the 9r18 one, I posted twice the pattern to use. You are going to have search and read. It isn't hard, it has been documented over and over, you are going to have put in some work.

--jdiner

codemonkey2k5
12-27-2005, 03:14 AM
Thanks to all who responded. I did find that DVDit was re-encoding.
I am going to look over the threads that talk about doing it natively again. The probelm that I was having is after I processed the ty file to a vob, I would click make an IFO and create my buttons and stuff. It would process and then leave me with empy vid and audio folders and a bunch of files. That is where I get lost. What would be really cool is if it would end up with an ISO file to burn. But I am sure that I will find what I am missing.

On a side note, while the quality is much better before I burn the DVD, I still noticed a quality change even viewing a MPEG created by TYtools on my pc. It shows some pixelation during playback. No where near as bad as my DVD attempts though.

Thanks again...

BustedSony
12-27-2005, 03:42 AM
On a side note, while the quality is much better before I burn the DVD, I still noticed a quality change even viewing a MPEG created by TYtools on my pc. It shows some pixelation during playback. No where near as bad as my DVD attempts though....

Mpeg artifacts are much more noticeable on a PC's monitor than on a television set. The DirecTV streams are pretty low bitrates and have a fair bit of blockiness. The Mpeg created by TyTool is just the tystream with some streaming junk removed, there is no rerendering or loss of quality whatsoever when ripping the vobs or mpegs from a Tystream. That's why it's best to use that Mpeg directly in a DVD project. DVDauthor and DVDlab are the two programs that will do this properly. ;)

cheer
12-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Mpeg artifacts are much more noticeable on a PC's monitor than on a television set. The DirecTV streams are pretty low bitrates and have a fair bit of blockiness. The Mpeg created by TyTool is just the tystream with some streaming junk removed, there is no rerendering or loss of quality whatsoever when ripping the vobs or mpegs from a Tystream. That's why it's best to use that Mpeg directly in a DVD project. DVDauthor and DVDlab are the two programs that will do this properly. ;)
Additionally, unless the files you are pulling down are HD, they are interlaced. Most normal tools for playback on the PC don't handle interlaced video well at ALL. The true test is playback on your TV after burning.

Wabbit
12-27-2005, 10:56 AM
On a side note, while the quality is much better before I burn the DVD, I still noticed a quality change even viewing a MPEG created by TYtools on my pc. It shows some pixelation during playback. No where near as bad as my DVD attempts though.

One more thing, if the pixelation is only around the cut points, it may be the quality setting. Are you using an Intel box? In the create IFO section, there is a quality setting, under the Edit menu. With an Intel box you should use 2, AMD 1, this will help the pixelation around the cuts when you mux the files. You can also directly edit this in the tytool.ini file, near the bottom. It is set to 1 by default.

On a side note, jdiner, could this setting get moved into the main preferences dialog? It's not very intuitive where it is now.

jdiner
12-27-2005, 01:26 PM
TyTool does NOT change the video frames. There is no alteration, re-encoding, etc... except for a few and I do mean a few frames right around the FAE cut points. Thus there is no degredation in quality by running it through TyTool. So if it looks worse playing on your pc look to the the following as the cause:

1- resolution you are playing it at. If you stretch the image from the norm to 1600x1200 you are going to see a quality loss.

2- The playback mechanism/codec in use. They are NOT all created equal.

3- The quality of your monitor versus that of your TV.

4- The quality of your DVD player. Getting a progressive DVD player makes all the difference in the world. Do a search and read up on the long gop problems, I have written about it a number of times, and you will learn why.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-27-2005, 01:27 PM
On a side note, jdiner, could this setting get moved into the main preferences dialog? It's not very intuitive where it is now.
Yeah it should. It actuall was at one point...

--jdiner

codemonkey2k5
12-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks all!!! I have some playing to do when I get off work today.

CM

laserfan
12-27-2005, 10:59 PM
Regarding Closed Captioning in 10r2, I got "bit" by this one too:

Humm. That bit should be being turned on by the call to DVDAuthor. Might be another something that got lost on me in the most recent crash. I will look into it...

There is nothing in the "make.bat" file about this, and indeed CC is nowhere to be found w/either PowerDVD or Showtime. I am able to make the captions appear tho with IfoEdit as mentioned earlier. One for r3?

p.s. Is there a command line option to do this i.e. can I fix the make.bat command myself? I do this anyway cuz I make my discs "first play" mostly.

Beth-O
12-28-2005, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the great work on this.

I have some files that were sent over to the tivo via tivoserver and were VOBs converted to ty or tmf by tymplex. When using tytools to mpeg these files, it results in a zero kb file.

Any ideas?

Thx

Shaun
12-28-2005, 12:33 AM
I fixed up my HDVR2 with 4.0.1b over a year ago and set-up Tytool 9r18, set it to not update or phone home, set up telnet and ftp. Other than slow downloads (never updated the usb stuff) Tytool has worked great.

I have tried out 10r2 but, starting a couple of days ago I can no longer connect.
I get this in the tserver for both 9r18 and 10r2:

Telneting to the TIVO...
Connecting to '192.168.1.102'
Connected...
We got 'bash-2.02# ' which is the prompt!
bash-2.02# /var/hack/tserver -s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl
bash: /var/hack/tserver: No such file or directory
bash-2.02#
bash-2.02#
and this in the main window:

Trancode Selected Mode: 8
Ready...
Reading list from the server...
Clear Now Showing List...
Connecting to '192.168.1.102'
ERROR: Failed to Connect!

Earlier tonight I telnetted over and tried to look at the directories. My knowledge is a bit rusty but I'm sure I saw the /var/hack directory and that it had the Nowshowing.tcl. I rebooted pc and tivo to no avail. I double checked and I'm still running 4.0.1b (it works and I've been too busy to update to 6.2). Now when I telnet over there is no sign of the hack dir inside of the /var directory.
I searched these threads but most of those who had similar probs were told to check their firewall. WinXP firewall is disabled. Norton firewall is set to allow but I disabled it just to be sure. Still no connect.
I'm going to brush up on my skills get ftp running again (having trouble remembering how to do that too) but I figured I'd post this in case I'm missing something obvious.

I guess worst case I set it all up again this weekend.

Thanks.

Edit:
Okay, I found the /hack dir. It is at the same level as the /var. It was too late to copy it to the right location though so I'll fix it tonight. I can't think of anyway this got moved. I haven't mucked around in my setup for a long time.

jdiner
12-28-2005, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the great work on this.

I have some files that were sent over to the tivo via tivoserver and were VOBs converted to ty or tmf by tymplex. When using tytools to mpeg these files, it results in a zero kb file.
TyTool expects things to be formated in certain ways when they come down in TyStream mode. Odds are it is different enough that it isn't going to work. Extract from either the first tivo they were on or from the source used to push it to the tivo and work on the .vob/.mpg rather than what has been mangled by many steps.

--jdiner

laserfan
12-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Regarding Closed Captioning in 10r2...There is nothing in the "make.bat" file about...CC...Funny, I had burned a disc using 9r18 and it was an Aussie movie which (at least) my wife has trouble with (accents) so I came here looking for CC support, and found it in v10! A great surprise! Anyway, after getting past this little issue w/setting the cc bit I not only have a disc w/CC, but I also managed to add a subtitle track to the DVD. Not easily, but it worked. Thanks! :)

p.s. To do the subtitle I had to use VobSub Ripper to make a file that imports to Subtitle Workshop, where I could re-work the closed captioning (delete a lot of [SIGHS] and [LAUGHS] and song lyrics/sound effects), then convert to .sup file using Subtitle Creator, and finally re-mux the whole shebang (after having de-muxed with PgcDemux), with MuxMan 0.14f. Amazing that all this works and I get a DVD w/both Subtitle and CC that's in lip-sync!!! :cool:

ThurstonX
12-28-2005, 12:15 PM
I fixed up my HDVR2 with 4.0.1b over a year ago and set-up Tytool 9r18, set it to not update or phone home, set up telnet and ftp. Other than slow downloads (never updated the usb stuff) Tytool has worked great.

Edit:
Okay, I found the /hack dir. It is at the same level as the /var. It was too late to copy it to the right location though so I'll fix it tonight. I can't think of anyway this got moved. I haven't mucked around in my setup for a long time.The native TiVo software will occasionally purge /var, removing items that shouldn't be there, even if you're running a killhdinitrd'd kernel. This is why a lot of people don't put their hacks in /var. This usually happened to me on a reboot, though it may just have happened.

If you're a diehard /var user like me, it's a good idea to manually back it up, and do so whenever you make changes. Since that requires one to remember to back it up, a cron job that runs a couple times a week is a good idea. The tar command can use the 'z' option to compress the backups so they don't take up too much of that precious space. I would just ftp my backups to a PC, and then remove the .tgz files, though I've heard of people running rsync to fully automate it.

The tar command is trivial, something like:

tar czf /var/var_BKUP_`date +"%Y%m%d"`.tgz [whatever dirs and files you want to backup, or some Include file; read the tar man page]

so:
tar czf /var/var_BKUP_`date +"%Y%m%d"`.tgz /var/hack /var/log

This has saved me countless times.

HTH.

jdiner
12-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Alright in looking at the stuttering issues being reported by some. I went back to the 9r17 version and starting looking for differences. I muxed a number of 1 hour files, started processing without cuts. Pulled the video and audio from the output files and they came up as identical. So where ever the problems are being introduced they are not damage/loss to the data. Once the PACK headers and related interleaving information is pulled out things are identical.

Now time to do the same thing with 9r18 and make sure nothing was going wrong there...

--jdiner

Shaun
12-28-2005, 09:39 PM
The native TiVo software will occasionally purge /var, removing items that shouldn't be there, even if you're running a killhdinitrd'd kernel. This is why a lot of people don't put their hacks in /var. This usually happened to me on a reboot, though it may just have happened.
Thanks for that tidbit. Hadn't heard of that before. I did have a brief power outage a few days ago so that may have been the trigger. I had been intending to get a UPS for my dTivo and this got me off my procrastinating can to finally buy one.

I tried changing the script to the new location of the /hack dir... no luck.:confused:
I copied the /hack back inside the /var and restored the script. Still no luck.
Turned out to be the timezone error that cropped up in the 9r18 thread.
I ftp'd a new tserver (from 10r2) and a new NowShowing referenced in the old thread.
Now both 10r2 and 9r18 will connect and get the list. :D

Now I got the bug to upgrade to 6.2 and a bigger hd but that will have to wait for a weekend or two.

eastwind
12-28-2005, 10:41 PM
The native TiVo software will occasionally purge /var, removing items that shouldn't be there, even if you're running a killhdinitrd'd kernel. This is why a lot of people don't put their hacks in /var. This usually happened to me on a reboot, though it may just have happened.

More correctly, it will purge everything that is there and rebuild the /var partition from scratch. It does this when /var fails the "free space" check in the startup scripts.

ew

jdiner
12-29-2005, 01:18 AM
Found the skipping problem. A partial change that was a left over of the recent debacle. Doing some final testing now to make sure it is fixed.

Basically at each cut point and occassionally through out the stream it would try to display a video key-frame just before the PACK was delivered the to the decompressor. NOT a great idea...

Sorry about that one folks. I was doing some testing on things way back when and it was just a left over from the rebuild of the source tree.

I will have 10r3 out soon. I want to get more than just this one fix into this release however.

--jdiner

FredThompson
12-29-2005, 08:01 AM
I've only tested one stream which stuttered. There are probably quite a few others on discs here from the first few days after the 10r1 release, though. I've found the one stream I did test played fine if it was remuxed with 10r1, as far as I can tell. However, 10r1 does NOT like to remux anything following the first VOB file of a set. the _2+ VOBs get extra padding then play with continual stutter.

All this you already know since it was a PM. Still, it might be a "quick fix" for people with shorter streams.

edit: Josh, can you confirm what I just stated or was it a happy coincidence?

Do your comments mean files muxed from 10r1/2 have extra junk or just the IFO sets? Healable or corrupted?

CfKid
12-29-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has seen this issue yet. I recently lost my /var/hack directory when upgrading to a CacheCard. After rebuilding all of my hacks, I was unable to get unscramble.o to run. After a few days of troubleshooting, I have found what I think MAY be a bug in TyTool 10R2.

I download in multiplex mode and then use VideoReDo/DVD-Lab Plus to create my DVDs. So, I d/l in multiplex mode. However, I am unable to get this to work using the 10r2 tserver. The 9r18 tserver, with both 10r1 and 9r18 client, works fine. I guess it is possible that it is only on my system.

I attempted to search through this thread to determine if this has been seen before but didn't find any issues related to multiplex mode. Any thoughts on this issue?

CfKid

cheer
12-29-2005, 02:50 PM
Dunno if this is the cause, but historically downloading in multiplex mode has had issues. I'd recommend downloading in TyStream mode, then mux to mpeg and feed it to VideoReDo.

Also, what do you mean by, "It doesn't work," exactly?

CfKid
12-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Also, what do you mean by, "It doesn't work," exactly?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Basically, when I d/l in Multiplex Mode, the d/l hangs and after about 30-45 seconds, I get the first 10 chuncks message. Note, this works fine with the 9r18 tserver and had worked for me for at least 8 months.

I should also note that I am running this on a T-60 Series 1 DTivo. I can give more detail if needed, but I'm not sure what would be needed. I can also run a debug version of tserver if jdiner would like to supply one.

I don't want to sound like I'm blaming 10r2, but this isn't happening with 9r18. Just trying to make sure we get to the bottom of the issue, if there is one.

CfKid

jdiner
12-29-2005, 04:16 PM
I've only tested one stream which stuttered. There are probably quite a few others on discs here from the first few days after the 10r1 release, though. I've found the one stream I did test played fine if it was remuxed with 10r1, as far as I can tell. However, 10r1 does NOT like to remux anything following the first VOB file of a set. the _2+ VOBs get extra padding then play with continual stutter.
Actually it will do it just fine you just have to do a few simple things first. I have been testing it here to try and make sure I get everything working right and I have had no problems. I will be posting the full steps with the 10r3 release.

edit: Josh, can you confirm what I just stated or was it a happy coincidence?
I can confirm it. The problem is not lost or damaged data. The problem was a partial change that was never finished and/or never rolled back. I have since rolled it back and all is well again. All that is needed is proper muxing/re-muxing with a correct version of TyTool. Either old enough or new enough...

So if you still have the TyStreams then hold onto them and remux with 10r3. If you don't have the source TyStream file that is fine you are SAFE! Just re-mux to create a new VOB output file with the source as the current VOB file and the "damage" will be repaired and proper playback will happen with the new file. Then YOU MUST rebuild the IFO file set. You can't just drop the new vob in it. Things will change physical position slightly inside the file and thus the DVD cell pointers will get off. So just remake the IFO and you are ready to roll.

Do your comments mean files muxed from 10r1/2 have extra junk or just the IFO sets? Healable or corrupted?
No. Not extra data. Think of it rather as an alignment problem. Meaning that all crucial data, PTS/DTS - A/V lip sync - data rates etc..., is correct it just isn't being seen right at the moment. Once the physical alignment within the file is restored through re-mux'ing the VOB file things are back on track and play as they should.

I will post details on the process as soon as I have 10r3 ready to roll.

--jdiner

jdiner
12-29-2005, 04:23 PM
So, I d/l in multiplex mode. However, I am unable to get this to work using the 10r2 tserver. The 9r18 tserver, with both 10r1 and 9r18 client, works fine. I guess it is possible that it is only on my system.
This not something that has been brought to my attention before.

But I am surprised that there are any issues. The code that does the download and mux is the same as the download then mux later. I know I have said this before. It doesn't explain why it sometimes behaves differently even now when muxing during download, but all it needs is the data from the TCP stream. If we get the data all should be well, it we don't then.... As for what is going on you are going to have to provide more details. What error messages if any are displayed etc...

--jdiner

kmt
12-29-2005, 06:23 PM

But I am surprised that there are any issues. The code that does the download and mux is the same as the download then mux later. I know I have said this before. It doesn't explain why it sometimes behaves differently even now when muxing during download, but all it needs is the data from the TCP stream. If we get the data all should be well, it we don't then.... As for what is going on you are going to have to provide more details. What error messages if any are displayed etc...

--jdiner

I have also been struggling with the difference between on the fly muxing, compared with ty download and separate mux. In fact I uploaded some samples to you last weekend that illustrate it. Iget "new LII audio bug" error messages on the combo mux, and not on the separate download and mux.

In previous releases I would get stuttered video on the combo, but not when done separately. Right now I need to wait for the LII issue to be resolved before seeing if the stutter issue is still alive.

laserfan
12-29-2005, 07:06 PM
I had thought that if you were going to download-and-mux for use in a separate program outside of TyTool, that it made sense to do this at one time (rather than dl as tystream then mux later) because downloading is slow, and muxing (especially if doing audio transcode as I do) is also slow, so isn't it more efficient to just do this all at once rather than in two steps.

I've never actually timed this though--maybe someone else has?

CfKid
12-29-2005, 09:46 PM

--jdiner

This is the information I can provide. I load unscramble.o and tserver.10r2 (renamed so I can test with both). See Telnet output:

TiVo1: {/var/hack/tserver} % ./tserver.10r2
Doing the Lowest PriorityFix...

I then play a few seconds of a show, in this case Good Eats and attempt to d/l via TyTool 10r2 client. The server output screen shows:

SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'SHOWING'
SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'TYSTRM2 192.168.0.127 1594 2803350/2803417'
-> '2803350'

After about 45 seconds, I get this message on the client.

Connecting to '192.168.0.151'
Connected...
Getting NowShowing data...
Total Size = 52998 bytes in 1.152000 seconds...

Name = 'C:\dtivo\Good Eats-The Cookie Clause'
fsIDs = '2803350/2803417'
Tivo Address = '192.168.0.151'
Connected...
Sorry... Failed to get the first 10 initial chunks...
Have to have at least that many to start the analysis phase...

DiffTime = 0.000000 (0) == 0.000000 Minutes

total = 1310720

I can complete this successfully in TyStream mode on 10r2 as well as 9r18 server. And, in Multiplex Mode on 9r18 server without issue. Please let me know if you need additional detail, or if you think this might be just an issue with my setup.

FYI, I do believe I have the correct tserver, which is 138048 bytes.

Thanks for the help!
CfKid

dlang
12-29-2005, 10:10 PM
the error you are getting is the standard one that tytool produces when it's fed encrypted shows.

so it sounds like the backdoor that unscramble is useing (where it unscrables things if you use one command to retreive them from disk, but not if you use a different one) isn't cooperating with the tserver code.

fears of this sort of trouble are why I run noscrable instead of unscramble

FredThompson
12-30-2005, 12:37 AM
Josh,

You are my hero.

I'd offer to have your children but that would be a bit...painful. :P