PDA

View Full Version : Playing 480x480 resolution on Apple Powerbook

Michael M
12-16-2005, 12:23 AM
My daughter is away at college and being the good technology parent i am forwarding her DVD's with her favorite shows.

My workflow is similar to most
SmartFTP
TYtool
VideoRedo
DVDLab
Burn DVD

I keep the resolution at 480x480 The DVD's play well on normal DVD players and my computer

But on her Apple Powerbook the picture is only takes up about 60% of the screen leaving 1/3 black -- She is playing it with standard DVD player that comes with the powerbook -- I checked for setting and preferences and can't seeing anything to normalize the picture on her powerbook -- since the DVD's work fine on my IBM laptop -- and a standalone dvd player I assume the is an Apple software issue

What software should I be using on her powerbook to play the DVD I've made with shows Ive extracted off DTivo at 480x480 resolution?

thanks for the help

Michael M

Michael M
12-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Bump -- any thoughts on this -- there must be some people playing 480x460 on their apple laptops?

will_77
12-20-2005, 10:15 PM
I don't have a powerbook, but I do have a 12" ibook. I just tried with Tytool 10R1, and extracted, vob'd, and made ifo file in tytool. burned dvd with nero, inserted into ibook. dvd player fired up, displayed the menu full-screen, and plays the dvd full screen. I don't know what to tell you other than it seems to work here. Apple dvd player version is 4.6.

Michael M
12-21-2005, 11:34 AM
I don't have a powerbook, but I do have a 12" ibook. I just tried with Tytool 10R1, and extracted, vob'd, and made ifo file in tytool. burned dvd with nero, inserted into ibook. dvd player fired up, displayed the menu full-screen, and plays the dvd full screen. I don't know what to tell you other than it seems to work here. Apple dvd player version is 4.6.

Will_77 thanks for taking the time to do that I will check the version on my daughters powerbook

OChaos
12-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Without knowing for certain what model powerbook this is I cannot be certain, but I suspect what you might be experiencing is due to the fact that unlike their p.c. laptop counterparts most powerbook have a widescreen-esque resolution... so a 480X480 video will expand to the top and bottom but not use the left and right sides of the screen.... this can be exagerated by recordings that are already in a "widescreen" format that then leave black borders on the top and bottom of the screen... leaving you with a video that does not come close to filling the entire screen on your powerbook...

--OC

long time lurker...

Michael M
12-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Without knowing for certain what model powerbook this is I cannot be certain, but I suspect what you might be experiencing is due to the fact that unlike their p.c. laptop counterparts most powerbook have a widescreen-esque resolution... so a 480X480 video will expand to the top and bottom but not use the left and right sides of the screen.... this can be exagerated by recordings that are already in a "widescreen" format that then leave black borders on the top and bottom of the screen... leaving you with a video that does not come close to filling the entire screen on your powerbook...
long time lurker...

My daughter has Powerbook G4 12" screen. Actually what is happening is that the tivo programs take up the full height of the laptop looking "stretched" and only use 60% of the screen. I am not taping movies so they are not widescreen -- just normal sitcoms etc.

This is frustrating -- her particular powerbook is not.

Thanks for anymore help

johnsolo
12-30-2005, 04:17 AM
Sounds like its not detecting the aspect ratio properly. You could have her download VLC and use the File->Open Disc menu. Make sure she selects DVD and then clicks Ok. Should be off and running with that... might work better.

Narf54321
12-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Or, since its a Powerbook (i.e. a computer) why not just strip the Ty info out of the MPEG file and dump it right to the disc as a .MPG (Quicktime) File?