PDA

View Full Version : Getting programs off a TiVo DirecTv HR 10-250 HD-DVR

merdos
12-24-2005, 01:19 PM
I have a TiVo DirecTv HR 10-250 high def recorder. I am not very computer literate and don't really want to void my warranty on my TiVo unit by opening it up. My current unit has a USB port in the back but it doesn't seem to be activated.

Is there a way to get programs off the TiVo onto a PC (real time would be fine). I want to keep the programs in high def and digital sound. I would like to eventually burn some of the programs onto DVD for later viewing or store them on the PC because my TiVo hard drive is getting full.

I have not purchase the computer yet so I'm open to any suggestions. My current thought is to try to get a computer that has a component (b/y/r) input for video and an optical input for audio. But I can't find this anywhere.

Suggestions please!

Thank you

captain_video
12-24-2005, 03:30 PM
If you want to keep things in digital form but not hack the Tivo then your only option would be to extract the shows directly from the hard drive. However, this involves removing the drive from your HDTivo and installing it in your PC. If you are not computer literate then this would be the very last option you would want to take. The easiest route would be to hack the Tivo and extract the programs via a home network. The only way to extract shows without hacking the Tivo and voiding the warranty would be to use the analog outputs from the Tivo using a video capture card in your PC.

I don't know if there are any video capture cards that would accept either a DVI or HDMI input but if you could find one then you might be able to transfer the video digitally, but I wouldn't get my hopes up as there may not be any software that supports it. You would also need a sound card that could accept a Toslink or coaxial input (coax would require a Toslink to coax converter). I know there are a lot of sound cards that have SPDIF connections but I 'm not sure if there are adapters available to convert the optical output from a Tivo to this type of connection.

stevel
12-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Since the recordings on the TiVo are encrypted by default, I don't think the shows are extractable on a PC directly without first hacking and removing encryption from the shows.

cheer
12-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Given all that, the only method would be to use some kind of capture card. Not sure if "Hi-Def" capture cards exist that capture via component -- I'm guessing that would require a lot of horsepower on the PC, and you'd certainly lose quality. Even analog capturing of SD video isn't trivial if you want good results.

Your best bet would probably be to purchase a DVD recorder. Not Hi-Def, but about as good as you're going to get without cracking the box.

PCGeek
01-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Some of the HD TV capture cards have SVIDEO and composite inputs.

cheer
01-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Some of the HD TV capture cards have SVIDEO and composite inputs.
Maybe so but they aren't going to capture HD video that way...

94SupraTT
01-06-2006, 01:04 AM
Has anyone done this? I wonder how the quality would be using a DVD Recorder on a HR10-250. According to someone on AVSforums the quality is quite good. I love my hacked DVR40 and tytool and have been considering hacking my HR10-250 but don't really see the need. If burning a DVD with the HR10-250 as the source yields good results I might give it a try.

alfonzotan
01-11-2006, 07:27 PM
I've pulled out video via the S-video port with a Pinnacle Moviebox DV, then reencoded for MPEG-2 with Apple's Compressor. It's a very good SD (anamorphic widescreen) picture. Still not HD, but unless there's a good way to downsample a native DTV HD file to 480x for DVD burning, it's as good as things are going to get until the arrival of Blu-Ray/HD-DVD.

cheer
01-11-2006, 08:48 PM
I've pulled out video via the S-video port with a Pinnacle Moviebox DV, then reencoded for MPEG-2 with Apple's Compressor. It's a very good SD (anamorphic widescreen) picture. Still not HD, but unless there's a good way to downsample a native DTV HD file to 480x for DVD burning, it's as good as things are going to get until the arrival of Blu-Ray/HD-DVD.
How is it anamorphic if it's output frm the DTivo via S-Video? I would expect the DTivo to only output 4:3.

Narf54321
01-11-2006, 09:00 PM
How is it anamorphic if it's output frm the DTivo via S-Video? I would expect the DTivo to only output 4:3.

Anamorphic is when "widescreen" is stretched into that tall looking 4:3 frame. On an SD TV it looks tall and skinny, but when "converted" on a wide TV it looks normal. This comes from cinema where instead of wasting the top and bottom of a film frame, the image is capured in tall "stretched" mode to fill the film frame and a special lens on the projector squeezes it out to widescreen.

On a DVD disc, they're both 720x480 (NTSC) but the anamorphic content will have tag bits to tell the player to output 16:9 instead of 4:3.

cheer
01-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Anamorphic is when "widescreen" is stretched into that tall looking 4:3 frame. On an SD TV it looks tall and skinny, but when "converted" on a wide TV it looks normal. This comes from cinema where instead of wasting the top and bottom of a film frame, the image is capured in tall "stretched" mode to fill the film frame and a special lens on the projector squeezes it out to widescreen.

On a DVD disc, they're both 720x480 (NTSC) but the anamorphic content will have tag bits to tell the player to output 16:9 instead of 4:3.
Er, yes, I know all that.

My point was, how do you get an anamorphic video captured analog via S-Video from an HR10-250?

alfonzotan
01-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Er, yes, I know all that.

My point was, how do you get an anamorphic video captured analog via S-Video from an HR10-250?

The HDTivo will output 16:9 via S-video for 480i, just like a DVD player. Adjust the settings under Tivo>Settings>Video (I think) to get the right output. The Pinnacle DV box will record in 16:9 from the S-video input. I can't recall all the settings off-hand, but it did take me a couple of tries to get it right. I've done it for a couple of college football games. The end result looks great, it produced a genuine anamorphic 16:9 DV file that I could edit and then reencode to MPEG2 for DVD. Like I said, it's not HD, but it's the next best thing I know of.

There aren't many digitizers that'll do it properly. My old Canopus card will only record 4:3, for instance.

alfonzotan
01-17-2006, 10:32 AM
In case anybody's interested, a quick test last night indicates that Apple's "Pro" Compressor utility does a very nice job of downconverting an extracted HDTivo MPEG file to a 720x480 M2V.

k c dias
08-25-2010, 11:29 AM
EDIT: To convert HD to SD with slowly and ever increasing loss of A/V sync (ffmpeg default) do this:
ffmpeg -i show.hd.mpg -target ntsc-dvd show.sd.mpg:eek::confused:

EDIT: To make ffmpeg pay attention to the A/V timestamps and maintain perfect sync, add -copyts as follows:
ffmpeg -i show.hd.mpg -target ntsc-dvd -copyts show.sd.mpg:):):D:D