PDA

View Full Version : Accessing Tivo w/Tytool from "outside" the home network

TexARC
12-26-2005, 01:39 AM
Is it possible to configure TyTool to access my TiVo from outside my home's network?
I have a Linksys 54G router, a "no-IP" alias to my router via the net, I can set up a port on the router's Applications and Gaming definition page.
TyTool works fantastically from any PC on my home network to a 6 year old Series one :)
I jusy want to set up a laptop to be able to get to the TiVo from on the road. I've tried what I thought would be logical, but no works...And I've tried the docs, the old docs, and the FAQ (well, actually, I can't find the official FAQ <G>)...

cheer
12-26-2005, 01:40 PM
The port # you have to forward is 3565, if I recall correctly.

You also need to make sure that your Tivo has a proper default gateway configured so that it knows how to get back to you.

dlang
12-26-2005, 02:30 PM
if you don't care about letting the entire world have access to your tivo, all you need to do is to set the gateway of the tivo (if you have it phone-home over the network you have it set properly) and then set your router to allow inbound access on port 80 and re-direct that to your tivo's address.

if you don't want the entire world mucking with your tivo you need to setup some security as well, and that gets significantly more complex.

cheer
12-26-2005, 03:42 PM
if you don't care about letting the entire world have access to your tivo, all you need to do is to set the gateway of the tivo (if you have it phone-home over the network you have it set properly) and then set your router to allow inbound access on port 80 and re-direct that to your tivo's address.
How's that going to work with TyTool?

codegrinder
12-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Just set up a VPN to your home network. If you run XP the server is bulilt in. If you have a Linksys router you can flash with VPN firmware.

golfxtz
01-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Is it possible to configure TyTool to access my TiVo from outside my home's network?
I have a Linksys 54G router, a "no-IP" alias to my router via the net, I can set up a port on the router's Applications and Gaming definition page.
TyTool works fantastically from any PC on my home network to a 6 year old Series one :)
I jusy want to set up a laptop to be able to get to the TiVo from on the road. I've tried what I thought would be logical, but no works...And I've tried the docs, the old docs, and the FAQ (well, actually, I can't find the official FAQ <G>)...

...Tytool to access your TiVo outside your home ntwk? I also have an old Series 1 (setup with TWPlus, TyTool, etc), with the same router as you. I have been able to access TWPlus from work and the next objective is to do the same with TyTool. Please let me know how you did your config setup.

Thank you

rcole
01-10-2006, 05:16 AM
Instead of playing games with port forwarding on your NATting router, just set up a VPN. It's not difficult and you can access your entire home network. Well, the most difficult part may be picking which VPN implementation you'll want to use.

mesaka
01-10-2006, 09:08 AM
I use logmein.com to do exactly what you want to do - and even better its totally free for the things you plan!